Rams not going Oline in round 1?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Memphis Ram with this:
Quite frankly, IMO, the best way to utilize free agency is to avoid the first wave altogether and go bargain shopping in the 2nd wave and post-draft portions. It would be great if a long-term starter can be found from time to time, but I'd be fine with a much cheaper short-term stop gap at a position who can play at a decent level while a younger kid develops.

As far as a BPA within reason philosophy, I state this understanding that teams can have 2-3 draft boards in their war rooms with one being more influenced by need and fit than the other(s). But, in general, if the grades on players are close or even, then it makes sense to go with the player that has to potential to fill a need. But, if they are not, barring a trade down I'd take the highest rated player as long as there is a roster spot for him. In other words, given that team needs can change yearly, I'd take a higher rated initial backup over a lower rated potential initial starter if there is a roster spot for him. The goal is to acquire as much talent as possible.

And, IMO, reacting to runs at a position in the draft may lead to more disappointments/busts than almost anything else as it involves ignoring draft grades in hopes of filling a positional need with a lesser rated player. That player may fill a position with a body, but is the need really met? Perhaps. But, then you may have to question the grading process/personnel.

BTW, I question if Fisher, a former NFL safety himself, and whose Titans team used a first round selection on former Texas S Michael Griffin doesn't value the safety position very highly.
I don't find anything you've said here as not being a reasonable way to go. Since it's not likely that you're going to get a starter or maybe I should say good starter, after the marquee players are gone, you're probably talking about getting depth like I was.

Which is worse, drafting a player higher than where you would have normally (cause remember I said he was the last player with a HIGH grade) or going the whole year with a big hole in your roster? So yeah, you can sometimes miss a higher rated player at another position but I think that will just as often even out as you no longer have that hole. Just drafting a CB who you haven't given a high grade would be stupid as you're alluded to in your comment.

As for Fisher not placing a high value on the safety position, I hope you're right about that but all the local writers seem to disagree with you. That doesn't mean they know jack of course. :LOL: These are also some of the same people who think Fisher won't draft an OT in the first round. So who knows.