Rams middle of the pack in Future Power Rankings/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams middle of the pack in Future Power Rankings
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-middle-of-the-pack-in-future-power-rankings

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Last week, our NFL Insider team unveiled its annual Future Power Rankings with an eye toward examining which NFL teams are best positioned for the next three seasons.

For fans of the St. Louis Rams hoping to see major improvement over the next three seasons, the team's spot on the list almost certainly came as a disappointment. In fact, the Rams' spot at No. 17 aligns pretty well with the mediocre performance the team has set forth in the past three seasons under coach Jeff Fisher.

The project asked the expert panel of John Clayton, Mike Sando and Louis Riddick to rate every team on a scale of 0-100 in five categories: roster (not counting quarterbacks), quarterback, draft, front office and coaching. Those categories are then weighted to put, for example, more emphasis on the roster, coaching and quarterback than the draft and front office.

Coming at No. 17 represents a five-spot fall for the Rams, a slip that comes mainly as a result of a drop in the rankings of front office and coaching and, to a lesser degree, drafting. But as Riddick points out, the biggest question facing the Rams moving forward is the same one that has faced them for a number of years: quarterback.

The Rams are hopeful that Nick Foles is their solution and have at least publicly expressed interest in re-signing Foles to a long-term deal before he's played in a regular-season game for them. That enthusiasm isn't shared by the panel, though, as the Rams received scores in the 70s in four other categories and just a 46.7 average at quarterback.

For the optimists, Foles' ranking might ultimately not be a deal breaker when it comes to future success. The Rams are hoping he sticks around for a while but that doesn't mean they view him as the key offensive piece that they have to build around. They have built a team based on running the ball on offense and dominating on defense. If they can do that, Foles will only be asked to take care of the ball, stay healthy and hit on opportunities when they arrive in the passing game.

The drop in rankings of the coaching and front office should be of more concern. Clayton points to the number of top picks the team has on the roste, but a strong argument can be made that the Rams didn't fully take advantage of that advantageous draft position. That could well be the reason for the rankings drop.

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald is the only recent top pick who currently looks like a true superstar in the making though it's too early to say that someone like tackle Greg Robinson can't reach that level. If running back Todd Gurley becomes the player the Rams believe he can be, it would not only give the Rams a much-needed offensive identity, but also make life much easier for Foles or whoever plays quarterback moving forward.

While rankings such as these are purely subjective, it would qualify as a big whiff if the Rams are unable to emerge from the years following the big trade with Washington without a foundation capable of taking them to the postseason.

…..

Legend
I agree that the Rams need to show up in the playoffs to ease everyones mind that they made strides and earned a living off the Robert Griffin trade. But I also think the time is upon us now, the foundation is in place.

Many of us claimed (and rightfully so) that we were just a QB away from being a playoff team. Well now we have one. So whats the issue?

Answer: I dont think we have an issue. We just need to play the games and make believers out of people.

Disclaimer- The ONE thing I think can cause us to miss the playoffs this year (aside from the dreaded rash of injuries) is our coaching. If Fisher stubbornly forces his will and restrains the offense from becoming what its capable of, then I can see us stumbling to another mediocre season. My opinion is that we have a little bit better recieving than percieved and if Fisher attempts to make every game a 10-6 affair then that may work against us. We have playmakers in Cook, Britt, Quick and Austin. Plus we have people who can fly under the radar in Baily and Kendricks. If you add a healthy and effective Todd Gurley to the mix, it only enhances the above. So I hope Fisher lets em play.

Last edited:

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Our time has arrived and after the last decade I'm going to enjoy every minute of it

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Preseason rankings are worthless... unless we're talking college football.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Preseason rankings are worthless... unless we're talking college football.

I agree. Especially one that projects future years. There's no way to know what today's unproven players will be like in a couple years. I guess they gotta write something this time of year. Its all about the hits.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think Quinn, Ogletree, and TJ McDonald have "flashed" superstar potential....The offense is brand effin new...Maybe Cig is Mike Martz....Foles is Warner....Sando is a known seahawk sympathizer, Clayton is just an insider..the only "expert" is Reddick...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I got through the first two paragraphs of this before I had to quit reading!! A record for a Wagoner post!!
I would petition ESPN to fire him and get us a New Beat writer, But they would probably give him a raise instead! He's a DICK!! " Mediocre performance .. the past three seasons .." My Lilly white Ass!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Sure, I can see Green Bay and Seattle at the top of such a list. No problem.

But to rank the Rams at 17? They've got to be kidding.

This list was supposed to be about which teams are best positioned for the next 3 years, right?

With a top 5-10 D and a top 10 (at least) ST, plus the addition of a young Foles and the rookie Gurley, not to mention a renovated OL including GRob, Saffold, and Hav.

Geez, all the above seems like the very definition of a team poised for the next 3 years, if you ask me.

As usual, the "experts" are way behind the curve on such a list. C'mon...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Our time has arrived and after the last decade I'm going to enjoy every minute of it

I'm with you.

This team will have success this year and is poised for continued success. The bandwagon fans will be back in droves.