Rams Mailbag/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Talking needs, QBs and more
January, 31, 2015
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15859/rams-mailbag-talking-needs-qbs-and-more

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- It's Super Bowl week but there's plenty going on in the world of the St. Louis Rams. Let's not waste any time and get down to business with your questions.

Adam Gingrich @adam_gingrich
Could Mark Barron be the other "OLB" in the base defense next year?

@nwagoner: The Rams basically used Barron in that role for most of the end of the season last year. I have little doubt they'll continue to get him on the field in a similar role moving forward. Jo-Lonn Dunbar's playing time dropped quite a bit after Barron came over. Dunbar still has a year left on his deal, but it's safe to assume Barron will have an expanded role moving forward.

Kermit @jhoodswag
Why did Zac Stacy get benched this season? And are they trying to move him?

@nwagoner: As I wrote at the time and have said repeatedly, I don't think it was so much anything Stacy did or didn't do so much as it was about what Tre Mason offers. Stacy doesn't offer the same speed and home-run hitting ability, and it seems the Rams were looking for more of that. Still, one would think Stacy still has some value as a bruising complement to Mason, but Benny Cunningham clearly surpassed him, too. Cunningham was the most reliable in pass protection and also got some carries as well. Don't think Rams are actively trying to trade Stacy but if they got a decent offer, they'd probably consider it.

Brian @_BMule
QB aside, how would you rank offseason needs in order? C, RG, CB etc.

@nwagoner: I don't think it's a right guard so much as just getting a bruising guard, period. In fact, I think the Rams would prefer to have Rodger Saffold at right guard and then whoever they add at left guard. Regardless, after quarterback, I'd go with guard, center, more offensive line depth, cornerback, receiver, linebacker, probably in that order. Now, if they lose Joe Barksdale, I think you move right tackle to the top of the list after quarterback. And if they lose Kenny Britt, receiver also becomes more pressing.

Richard Pacella @RFIPRAM
Do you think it's Foles OR Bradford, not AND?

@nwagoner: No, I don't. Is it possible the Rams don't work things out with Bradford? Sure, but it seems unlikely. The plan is pretty clear here; they want to bring in someone from the outside to compete with Bradford while bringing Bradford back at a reduced rate. Jeff Fisher said it himself at the end of the season, the Rams want to bring in someone from outside the building to compete with Bradford. Also, there is no Foles right now. Just because his name has been thrown out there as a rumor doesn't mean it's going to happen. But wherever the other quarterback or quarterbacks come from, the Rams plan to have Bradford in place.

STL Rams Nation @stlramsnation
Is Mike Shanahan an option for Rams as OC? Would think so since HC positions are all but gone & friendship with Fisher.

@nwagoner: Although I know Shanahan's name has been mentioned as a possible offensive coordinator in San Francisco, I don't get the impression that he wants to do that job at this point in his career. I'd be surprised if Shanahan took a coaching job other than head coach at this stage of his career and life.

Mark Warren @MarkWarren_39
If Britt is resigned, do the Rams look to address WR in the draft this year? For the first time in a while WR seems set

@nwagoner: I'd tend to agree with that. Assuming they bring Britt back, receiver isn't a top priority, but I wouldn't be totally against it if they saw a receiver they loved who could become a true No. 1 type and took him in the draft or signed him in free agency. Even with Britt's production this year, it's not like he lit it up. They still haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver let alone one to reach 800 yards since 2007. And Brian Quick is coming back from a pretty serious injury. They have other, greater needs, but if the best player available at No. 10 is a receiver and it's pretty clear cut, would it be so bad to take him?

Michael Schuler @Mike_Loveeee
What are the chances a wild card like Mike Martz gets the OC job?

@nwagoner: I'll never say never but whatever the closest to zero you can get without it being zero would be my answer.

Sean @stlouisrams0503
Probably too late to answer for mailbag- depending on when it publishes- but do you think Warner/Pace get in Saturday?

@nwagoner: I think both are deserving and I think it's possible they both go in but my guess -- and it's purely a guess -- is that Pace makes it and Warner doesn't. I'm not sure the voters will put two Rams in on the same ballot when they have others they want to get in and generally, unless guys are slam dunks, they don't put more than a couple of first-year guys in. I think Junior Seau is pretty much a lock then I expect one more first-timer between Pace and Warner. I'm guessing it's Pace though I wouldn't be surprised if both made it.