Rams 'love' McKinney, but may have to trade/RotoWorld

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Personally I have McKinney as my #2 MLB, behind Stephone Anthony.

I don't recall any CB/S brought in for official visists.
They have brought in Safety Damarus Randall - Ariz. Sparq score 121.8, if I'm not mistaken!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Dawson is infinitely better than McKinney. Just an overall better linebacker and player. He seriously reminds me of a mix between Lavonte David and Vontaze Burfict (although Burfict is admittedly because people devalued him after his Combine performance because of his performance in shorts and in interviews). I'd much rather have Dawson in the third than McKinney in the second after trading up.

As for Quinten Rollins, the kid is not nearly as raw as you think he is, @Elmgrovegnome . He was a four-year basketball player at Miami (Ohio) who ranked second all time in steals before he came in and blew the MAC away. He's physical, a ballhawk, and all of his issues with technique are correctable. In my opinion, in pure talent alone, Rollins is the top all-around cornerback in this class. He's later to the game than the other top-rated cornerbacks (Waynes, Peters, Williams), but in my honest opinion, he'll be better than all of them. Well worth a late second.

I just think it is difficult to make up for that much lost time with Rollins, when he wasn't anywhere near a football field. Sure he has great physical talent and played well at a MAC school. He will be facing much better than MAC quality receivers in the NFL with every team he plays against. I think it will take him time to get up to speed mentally, with how fast the NFL game is played and if it takes him two or three years then why take him in round 2? There is a good chance that the Rams can get a starter out of round 2 that will contribute right away.
Round 3 or later is perfect for guys like Rollins, I bet every team in the league would like to wait till then on him, but teams that like his potential will feel the need to take him in round 2 to beat the crowd. I would rather that not be the Rams unless somehow they end up with multiple second and third round picks.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't think the Rams like Scherff. From everything I've read or heard, they haven't had any meetings or visits with him. The Rams have a track record of taking players they meet with. I think they're hoping one of the two top WR's falls to them and if not they look to trade down for a different OL like Peat or possibly take WR Parker. I think an ILB is also a possibility if they can trade down.

Good point, but they also didn't have a pre draft visit with Martin last year and by all accounts he was a Ram target. They could have a good handle of what they think Scherff can do and are not conducting a visit because there are no real red flags.

I am with you though, I hope one of the 2 WR fall but not counting on it lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

They have brought in Safety Damarus Randall - Ariz. Sparq score 121.8, if I'm not mistaken!

I don't like Stephone Anthony so much. I think he is overrated because of his physical skill set. He seems to be more of an athlete and less of an instinctual LBer.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Dawson is infinitely better than McKinney. Just an overall better linebacker and player. He seriously reminds me of a mix between Lavonte David and Vontaze Burfict (although Burfict is admittedly because people devalued him after his Combine performance because of his performance in shorts and in interviews). I'd much rather have Dawson in the third than McKinney in the second after trading up.

As for Quinten Rollins, the kid is not nearly as raw as you think he is, @Elmgrovegnome . He was a four-year basketball player at Miami (Ohio) who ranked second all time in steals before he came in and blew the MAC away. He's physical, a ballhawk, and all of his issues with technique are correctable. In my opinion, in pure talent alone, Rollins is the top all-around cornerback in this class. He's later to the game than the other top-rated cornerbacks (Waynes, Peters, Williams), but in my honest opinion, he'll be better than all of them. Well worth a late second.

I wont be surprised at all if Rollins develops into one of the best cover corners in this draft. You pretty much have him pegged the same way I would describe him.

WestCoastRam

Legend

If we could get Dawson in the third, I don't know how you don't pull the trigger on that!

FRO

Legend
Fix the line. The defense is good enough to win now. The offense isn't close. If we don't fix the line it won't matter how good the defense is.

Athos

Legend
Good point, but they also didn't have a pre draft visit with Martin last year and by all accounts he was a Ram target. They could have a good handle of what they think Scherff can do and are not conducting a visit because there are no real red flags.

I am with you though, I hope one of the 2 WR fall but not counting on it lol.

True. Martin was behind both GRob and Donald though as BPA. They probably have one secret guy they covet, but I agree, the players they meet with is likely the pool on their bigboard unless a guy falls to them they weren't expecting to fall.

I'm praying for Cooper/White.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
True. Martin was behind both GRob and Donald though as BPA. They probably have one secret guy they covet, but I agree, the players they meet with is likely the pool on their bigboard unless a guy falls to them they weren't expecting to fall.

I'm praying for Cooper/White.

You and I both!

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I wouldn't necessarily look to much into Scherff not meeting with the Rams. Last year Mike Evans never met with Tampa. And the Raiders never met with Mack.

So don't get to discouraged if your a Scherff fan.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If he represents an upgrade on defense, then I'm all for the team maneuvering around to obtain his services. While the defense may be ahead of the offense, they still haven't arrived. I'm not sure anyone else has noticed, but despite all the hype and the defense has still been the worst in the division.

Shoot. The Arizona Cardinals have had a similar or perhaps even worse OLine situations than the Rams, but keep winning double digit games with their top 5-7 rated defenses.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With no trades...

1) Peat
2) Rollins
3) Dawson
4) Shaq Mason

Is that terrible? Wanted to find a solid RG in the fourth...he seemed to fit the bill.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I like McKinney, but don't think we can afford to take him with our needs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Right now Rams have JL, Bates , Dunabr & Alec Ogletree...all of them have played ILB'er in their past & are on the roster & signed.

This just makes no sense:cautious:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If he represents an upgrade on defense, then I'm all for the team maneuvering around to obtain his services. While the defense may be ahead of the offense, they still haven't arrived. I'm not sure anyone else has noticed, but despite all the hype and the defense has still been the worst in the division.

Shoot. The Arizona Cardinals have had a similar or perhaps even worse OLine situations than the Rams, but keep winning double digit games with their top 5-7 rated defenses.

Interesting observation. I agree that for all of the time and personnel that has gone into building the defense, there is something missing that keeps them from being a top ten defense. My theory is that it lacks dominance at key positions. They need a more vocal leader who can fire people up, A La Rey Lewis, LT, Strahan, Lynch. They need a lock down corner or Safety to inspire the backfield. A flub a game by the best player is not inspiring, bickering about who should have covered who is not inspiring. They may have found their leader on the DLine in Donald and Long is that now, but for how long. If McKinney is a real leader maybe he is what they need. Mosely seemed to fit the bill last year.

V3

Hall of Fame

That can't be right. He's a FS. Why would they bring him in?

V3

Hall of Fame
Right now Rams have JL, Bates , Dunabr & Alec Ogletree...all of them have played ILB'er in their past & are on the roster & signed.

This just makes no sense:cautious:
Just because they played ILB doesn't mean they're suited for it. JL also has limitations and is expensive. They've been looking for his replacement since at least last draft. It makes a lot of sense to me. Their plans for O-line make little sense to me, though.