Rams 'love' McKinney, but may have to trade/RotoWorld

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Rams 'love' McKinney, but may have to trade

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports the Rams will "target linebackers early in the draft" and "love" Mississippi State ILB Benardrick McKinney.

"The team worked out McKinney last week and came away very impressed," Pauline wrote. "The tenth pick of round one is too early for McKinney which lends many to believe the Rams could trade down in the first round or trade up from the second round to secure McKinney." The 6-foot-4, 245-pounder projects best as an edge rusher or two-down thumper in a 3-4. He recorded 243 total tackles, 7.5 sacks, eight passes defended, and one forced fumble during his MSU career.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...o-trade?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Athos

Legend
If the Rams don't address the offense with their first two picks (unless a trade down happens and they go offense twice and D once) I'm going to REVOLT!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The 6-foot-4, 245-pounder projects best as an edge rusher or two-down thumper in a 3-4.

He does?

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
If the Rams don't address the offense with their first two picks (unless a trade down happens and they go offense twice and D once) I'm going to REVOLT!

Ram fans are revolting! Ram fans are revolting!

Athos

Legend
Ram fans are revolting! Ram fans are revolting!

Won't be much of a revolt I'm afraid. Probably just a broken glass out in the driveway and me screaming "fuck you all" while the neighbors look on in fear.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I have a feeling you will be revolting if they don't trade around lol. It feels like they could go LB, CB or even DE in rounds 2 and 3. My guess is the FO feels they can get a G in the 4th that could start or create depth depending on what they do in round 1.

Athos

Legend
I have a feeling you will be revolting if they don't trade around lol. It feels like they could go LB, CB or even DE in rounds 2 and 3. My guess is the FO feels they can get a G in the 4th that could start or create depth depending on what they do in round 1.

hah. They and previous regimes have had that same line of thinking with Jones, Rot Watkins, etc.....and no one has turned into a starter.

The great Gs that can start immediately will all be gone by the 4th unless you're just aces at picking diamonds in the ruff for O-Line.

That's a skill Snisher really doesn't have.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought McKinney's best projection was as a 3/4 MLB. He is not much in pass coverage but plays the run very well.

I really don't see what the Rams see in him. I get that Laurinitis time is nearing an end as a Ram but McKinney is not a do it all type of LBer like Mosely was last year. I think he is a typical old school MLB. But the Rams signed Ayers and have Ogletree on the outside. Maybe they think McKinney could replace Chris Long as a DE some day soon? At 245 McKinney weighs more than Gregory does. And McKinney can play the run. The question is can he put on weight and move to the edge to become a DE?

If he is just another movable piece, then I think the Rams are getting a little crazy if they use a first round pick on another sub player that wont play on most snaps.

And @Boston Ram I sure hope you are wrong. If you look at the list of players that came in for visits most of the Olinemen are first and second rounders. They considered moving back to round 1 to get Martin. So they don't necessarily discount first round Olinemen. Maybe they just don't see a difference in the guys available this year from round 1 to 4. Again I hope you are wrong.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
hah. They and previous regimes have had that same line of thinking with Jones, Rot Watkins, etc.....and no one has turned into a starter.

The great Gs that can start immediately will all be gone by the 4th unless you're just aces at picking diamonds in the ruff for O-Line.

That's a skill Snisher really doesn't have.

Cant say I don't agree with you!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Only way I'm ok with this is if we trade down and pick up an extra 2nd. good god man the defense is not the problem!! FIX THE OFFENSE!!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I thought McKinney's best projection was as a 3/4 MLB. He is not much in pass coverage but plays the run very well.

I really don't see what the Rams see in him. I get that Laurinitis time is nearing an end as a Ram but McKinney is not a do it all type of LBer like Mosely was last year. I think he is a typical old school MLB. But the Rams signed Ayers and have Ogletree on the outside. Maybe they think McKinney could replace Chris Long as a DE some day soon? At 245 McKinney weighs more than Gregory does. And McKinney can play the run. The question is can he put on weight and move to the edge to become a DE?

If he is just another movable piece, then I think the Rams are getting a little crazy if they use a first round pick on another sub player that wont play on most snaps.

And @Boston Ram I sure hope you are wrong. If you look at the list of players that came in for visits most of the Olinemen are first and second rounders. They considered moving back to round 1 to get Martin. So they don't necessarily discount first round Olinemen. Maybe they just don't see a difference in the guys available this year from round 1 to 4. Again I hope you are wrong.

I hope I am wrong too but my very uneducated opinion thinks they come away with Scherff in the first. If that were to happen you could be looking at say Marcus Peters CB in the 2nd, maybe Quinten Rollins 2nd or 3rd round. At LB you could be looking at Stephone Anthony in the 2nd or Paul Dawson who seems to be projecting to the 3rd. This is the scenario in which I could see them not going offense in the first 2 rounds.

What if you came away as an example: Scherff 1st Round, Peters or Anthony 2nd Round, Rollins or Dawson in the 3rd......just spit balling here but this gives you a little insight to the mock I am doing now lol.

Now in the 4th you could be looking at a Shaq Mason, Andy Gallik type for depth, assuming Barksdale resigns.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope I am wrong too but my very uneducated opinion thinks they come away with Scherff in the first. If that were to happen you could be looking at say Marcus Peters CB in the 2nd, maybe Quinten Rollins 2nd or 3rd round. At LB you could be looking at Stephone Anthony in the 2nd or Paul Dawson who seems to be projecting to the 3rd. This is the scenario in which I could see them not going offense in the first 2 rounds.

What if you came away as an example: Scherff 1st Round, Peters or Anthony 2nd Round, Rollins or Dawson in the 3rd......just spit balling here but this gives you a little insight to the mock I am doing now lol.

Now in the 4th you could be looking at a Shaq Mason, Andy Gallik type for depth, assuming Barksdale resigns.

Okay, I misunderstood you then. If they get Scherf or Collins in round 1 then sure another Olinemen in round 4 would be fine. With Saffold, and GRob then a guy like Scherf, they have the foundation for a great line for years to come. I have always been a believer that you don't need to have a full line of first round picks to make a good line. Just two or three guys that are top quality so you have good players on each side is all you need. If GRob develops like hoped and then either Scherf/Collins/Erving plugged in with Saffold then two average guys with potential to finish it out would work.

Where Olines break down is when a guy cannot handle is responsibilities himself and then you get others next to him trying to do too much. I think that is part of what really hurt Barksdale. With Saffold alongside him he only had to focus on his own man and he knew the TE help was going to be his. Plus he probably got pointers from Saffold during the game.

Look at what Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks did for New Orleans line.

If they could go Collins/Scherf round 1, Eric Rowe round 2, Dawson round 3 and one of the Oklahoma OTs round 4 then that would be a good looking draft.

I don't recall any CB/S brought in for official visists. They did look at OLine, WR, QB, and Lb pretty hard. So a second round CB may not be as likely.

If they go for a WR round 1 , like Parker then it seems they would almost have to take one Olinemen in round 2 or 3 and then one in 4. Otherwise they wont get help on the line this year again.

Athos

Legend
For the record.

The defense SURE would be better if they were sitting on leads and could pin their ears back and do what they do best: rush the passer.

Fixing the offense fixes the D without added even MORE money to an already loaded front 7.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For the record.

The defense SURE would be better if they were sitting on leads and could pin their ears back and do what they do best: rush the passer.

Fixing the offense fixes the D without added even MORE money to an already loaded front 7.

Totally agree. Other than plugging future needs, I don't see what the need for defense is right now when the offense is bleeding.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
For the record.

Could you imagine how good this defense would be if they played half their games with a lead?!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Okay, I misunderstood you then. If they get Scherf or Collins in round 1 then sure another Olinemen in round 4 would be fine. With Saffold, and GRob then a guy like Scherf, they have the foundation for a great line for years to come. I have always been a believer that you don't need to have a full line of first round picks to make a good line. Just two or three guys that are top quality so you have good players on each side is all you need. If GRob develops like hoped and then either Scherf/Collins/Erving plugged in with Saffold then two average guys with potential to finish it out would work.

Where Olines break down is when a guy cannot handle is responsibilities himself and then you get others next to him trying to do too much. I think that is part of what really hurt Barksdale. With Saffold alongside him he only had to focus on his own man and he knew the TE help was going to be his. Plus he probably got pointers from Saffold during the game.

Look at what Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks did for New Orleans line.

If they could go Collins/Scherf round 1, Eric Rowe round 2, Dawson round 3 and one of the Oklahoma OTs round 4 then that would be a good looking draft.

I don't recall any CB/S brought in for official visists. They did look at OLine, WR, QB, and Lb pretty hard. So a second round CB may not be as likely.

If they go for a WR round 1 , like Parker then it seems they would almost have to take one Olinemen in round 2 or 3 and then one in 4. Otherwise they wont get help on the line this year again.

Jenkins and Johnson are FA's next year so one at least is most likely gone. I like Rowe but his best spot could be S. He is not fluid enough to cover man, unless he get real physical on the line which he is built to do. Rollins is one of my favorite CB this year. He has the skill set to be a top cover CB. He has all the natural skills. Just needs a little more time and coaching. With basketball out of the picture he can continue to hone his craft. Your right about the lack of CB in for visits but I would be surprised if the Rams does not draft a CB this year. Its a pretty good crop of CB, the more I think about it I do wonder why at least 1 CB was not brought in, unless its a smoke screen of some sort....now Im a little puzzled lol.

I agree if the go Parker then you are probably looking at Tomlinson in round 2.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jenkins and Johnson are FA's next year so one at least is most likely gone. I like Rowe but his best spot could be S. He is not fluid enough to cover man, unless he get real physical on the line which he is built to do. Rollins is one of my favorite CB this year. He has the skill set to be a top cover CB. He has all the natural skills. Just needs a little more time and coaching. With basketball out of the picture he can continue to hone his craft. Your right about the lack of CB in for visits but I would be surprised if the Rams does not draft a CB this year. Its a pretty good crop of CB, the more I think about it I do wonder why at least 1 CB was not brought in, unless its a smoke screen of some sort....now Im a little puzzled lol.

I agree if the go Parker then you are probably looking at Tomlinson in round 2.

I mocked Rowe in round two because of reports that the Rams like him. I think most see him as a safety. They gave McLeod the second round tender this year and he is a free agent next year. They could be preparing to lose him as well. I also agree that they could lose one of Tru or JJ. However, Tru, especially would have to have a better year coming up to get big money. So the Rams may be able to sign him cheap. The Rams reportedly like Rowe and they have scouted Randall too. I think both would be an improvement over McLeod when it comes to coverage and Rowe can hit too.

I also like Quentin Rollins but what I don't like is the idea of using a second round pick on him. He still has a lot too learn. It reminds me too much of Ron Bartell. Ron took too long to really start playing at a top level and then he hurt his neck. So if I take anyone in round 2 I want it to be a more polished player. Quick took too long to be worth the spot too IMO.

So what is better? Quentin Rollins in round2 or Nick Marshall in round 6? The Rams are also reportedly interested in a small school corner that Hammer brought up named Taylor I believe. With JJ and Tru on the roster right now maybe a high pick on a corner is not so necessary as he would be fighting for playing time this year. There is also good depth there already to cover injuries. They can take a guy that they can wait on a bit IMO.

Now if Mcleod goes down to injury they are kind of screwed. The Safety play will drop off drastically. They need a better backup/future replacement that actually has some range but can still hit. That guy could be Rowe or Randall.

The one Olinemen that I really like and hope the Rams are in position to draft is Marpet. In fact I like Marpet. It will be interesting to see where he gets picked. If the Rams traded back and got Erving in round 1 and Marpet in 3 I would be very happy. Put Rowe in at round 2 along with Dawson or McKinney(if they get a round 2 pick in trade), or if they force the QB pick like I fully expect use the extra pick on that. Then go ORT in round 4 and BPA the rest of the way. They could pick up a backup LBer and a developmental corner or two and it would be a good draft. They would be looking hard at WR and LBer next year if this happened but you cant always fix everything in one draft and neither area is a dire need this year.

Even trading back twice in round 1 could land two extra thirds and it would give them much more flexibility to address the Oline.

V3

Hall of Fame

I don't think the Rams like Scherff. From everything I've read or heard, they haven't had any meetings or visits with him. The Rams have a track record of taking players they meet with. I think they're hoping one of the two top WR's falls to them and if not they look to trade down for a different OL like Peat or possibly take WR Parker. I think an ILB is also a possibility if they can trade down.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Dawson is infinitely better than McKinney. Just an overall better linebacker and player. He seriously reminds me of a mix between Lavonte David and Vontaze Burfict (although Burfict is admittedly because people devalued him after his Combine performance because of his performance in shorts and in interviews). I'd much rather have Dawson in the third than McKinney in the second after trading up.

As for Quinten Rollins, the kid is not nearly as raw as you think he is, @Elmgrovegnome . He was a four-year basketball player at Miami (Ohio) who ranked second all time in steals before he came in and blew the MAC away. He's physical, a ballhawk, and all of his issues with technique are correctable. In my opinion, in pure talent alone, Rollins is the top all-around cornerback in this class. He's later to the game than the other top-rated cornerbacks (Waynes, Peters, Williams), but in my honest opinion, he'll be better than all of them. Well worth a late second.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Even if addressing the offense didn't mean that we were playing with the lead all game - it would be enough with this D to be able to sustain drives.

We want to run the ball - we want to be physical - go get a mauler up front.