Rams league's youngest team ... again/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams league's youngest team ... again
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11149/rams-leagues-youngest-team-again

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For the third consecutive year, the St. Louis Rams look like they will be the youngest team in the NFL.

According to a yearly study from Philly.com after team's trim their rosters to their initial 53 players, the Rams once again have the youngest team in the league with an average age of 25.09.

In the past three years, the Rams have clearly been the league's youngest team, but what's interesting is they haven't exactly been older in consecutive years despite sticking to their youth movement.

When Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead took over in 2012, they cleaned house and made it clear they aren't afraid to roll with young players in prominent positions. That first year, they went from one of the league's oldest team to the youngest at an average age of 25.32 years.

They stuck to the plan last year and were actually younger with an average age of 24.96 years. They are a little older this year, but not as old as they were in 2012.

Regardless, there is something to be said for the Rams having a plan and sticking to it. There are no awards for being the youngest team in the league, but a lot of franchises pay lip service to the idea of building through the draft then panic and change the plan when things don't go well.

It's a bit easier for the Rams to stick to the plan with an experienced coach like Fisher in charge, but it should also be clear that youth is no longer an excuse for this team.

The Rams are young by design, but they also have a lot of players with plenty of playing experience. In fact, the Rams might only have one rookie -- cornerback E.J. Gaines -- in the starting lineup on opening day, and if they do, it's because of an injury to certain starter Trumaine Johnson.

Snead likes to refer to the mistakes of his young team as "spilling milk" and has said he hopes that two years of spilling milk leads to much less in 2014.

It will have to if the Rams' plan to break through this season is to come to fruition.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I guess it's not an "excuse" cuz I don't think we're looking for one,I will say this it could still be a reason we aren't wildly consistent or that we still "spill some milk", ,I think we are "poised" for a run of near greatness if we can solve our QB problem.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
According to a yearly study from Philly.com after team's trim their rosters to their initial 53 players, the Rams once again have the youngest team in the league with an average age of 25.09.

Shawn Hill is pulling the average up. He's a geezer.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Is it me or is Nick Wagoner stuck in a rut of negativity? Think his wife is cutting his ass off at home jeez