Rams inquiring about ju-ju

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0629811093841125284-4

Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

Rams GM Les Snead recently set up a workout with Jared Goff and a couple of draft-eligible receivers, Washington's John Ross, who just ran a record 4.22 40, and USC's JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Smith-Schuster on Friday, per ESPN's Michael DiRocco: "I thought Jared Goff was an outstanding quarterback. Just did one-on-one; the way he approaches the game, and how we were just talking 'ball and life off the field. My meeting with them (the Rams) was great."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But that's not true BPA. You're taking need into account. That's my point here. It's why I railed so hard against the notion of the Rams just going true BPA. It doesn't exist, and even if it did, it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Like every team out there, I'm sure the Rams stack their board based on where they rate talent (taking guys off the board who don't fit their scheme or have certain red flags), and then they delineate in each cluster of talent based on need and positional value.

You are arguing semantics.

The Rams went for need with GRob and then BPA with Donald. Dline was not high on the list of needs. Didn't they almost get the sack record the year before?

We all know how the tier system works. Every team uses it. BPA at a position of need. But if a player the Rams loved and had ranked much higher than players that are available, happens to fall in their lap, and it isn't a big need...then I would still want them to take that player. Thing is, other than DT QB, Punter and Kicker everything is a need.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0629811093841125284-4

Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

Rams GM Les Snead recently set up a workout with Jared Goff and a couple of draft-eligible receivers, Washington's John Ross, who just ran a record 4.22 40, and USC's JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Smith-Schuster on Friday, per ESPN's Michael DiRocco: "I thought Jared Goff was an outstanding quarterback. Just did one-on-one; the way he approaches the game, and how we were just talking 'ball and life off the field. My meeting with them (the Rams) was great."

I like his words!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are arguing semantics.

The Rams went for need with GRob and then BPA with Donald. Dline was not high on the list of needs. Didn't they almost get the sack record the year before?

We all know how the tier system works. Every team uses it. BPA at a position of need. But if a player the Rams loved and had ranked much higher than players that are available, happens to fall in their lap, and it isn't a big need...then I would still want them to take that player. Thing is, other than DT QB, Punter and Kicker everything is a need.

Did the Rams really go for need with Robinson? He was a consensus top 5 player in that draft and a clear choice at #2. I preferred Jake Matthews, but he played the same position.

It seems to me that you keep classifying failed picks as the Rams going for need, but it's not really accurate.

What I'm getting at here is that saying "The Rams should take the BPA" is pretty meaningless. There is no objective BPA. I expect the Rams will take their BPA. It might not be your BPA, though. And your BPA might not be Mel Kiper's BPA. So what does "take the BPA" really mean? I think the vast majority of front offices aren't going away from their board, but who really knows? We aren't in the room.

Anyways, I've dragged you into a completely pointless argument. For that, I apologize. What is your opinion on Chris Godwin? He blew up the Combine today, and I liked his film prior to that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2...-nfl-scouting-combine-usc-juju-smith-schuster

2017 NFL Scouting Combine: USC WR Juju Smith-Schuster impresses
Juju Smith-Schuster may have surprised many at the NFL Scouting Combine with his 40 time.
by nickdempsey Mar 4, 2017, 3:31pm PST
630815434.0.jpg
Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
Once again in the fold of producing top-tier talent into the NFL Draft, the USC Trojans were represented on Saturday by arguably their best player over the past three seasons in junior wide receiver Juju Smith-Schuster.

Ever since announcing his decision to choose USC over Oregon and Notre Dame during his senior year at Long Beach Polytechnic High School, Smith-Schuster has seemingly been destined to reach the NFL with his increasingly promising potential.

Measurements: 6'1″ | 215 lbs | 32 7/8 arms | 10 1/2 hands

Bench: 15 reps

Vertical jump: 32.5″

Broad: 120″

40 Yard Dash: 4.54

The measurements were as expected for Smith-Schuster, however the biggest question heading into the draft was his speed. His sub-4.6 speed might have surprised most, but his speed on film is very clear.

Registering 74 receptions for 914 yards and 10 touchdowns in his final season at USC, Smith-Schuster displayed what has consistently been his style over the past three seasons—brutally physical.

From the snap, Smith-Schuster uses his strong hands to create initial separation on routes, and continues his physical play by using his body to shield the ball from the defender.

With normally reliable hands, Smith-Schuster consistently fought for the ball—whether it was running fearlessly up the middle of the field with drags and slants, or boxing out defenders over the top for deep passes. Often times however, Smith-Schuster couldn’t get in front of speedier defenders for the short routes, or got beat downfield with the inability to create separation.

With speed being the biggest knock on Smith-Schuster, his physical gifts in his strength and explosiveness perfectly complimented his aggression and competitiveness. Once he has the ball in the hands, he showed an innate ability for yards after the catch, as his speed on the field becomes real and his fondness for stiff arms keep defensive backs on the grass.

His most obvious fit seems like a possession receiver for West Coast offenses, yet his pro-style experience has proven he can lineup outside the numbers and bully his way downfield in high-volume passing offenses.

Most of Smith-Schuster’s comparisons float between Detroit Lions’ wide receiver Anquan Boldin and former All-Pro Terrell Owens. Amongst the two, the competitiveness, physicality and YAC is the common theme.

The best comparison for Smith-Schuster of the current players in the NFL is that of All-Pro wide receiver Dez Bryant. Much like Bryant, Smith-Schuster is a strong, physical player who isn’t afraid of running routes across the middle of the field and thrive to make spectacular jump ball catches. They are both fluid athletes who have great body control to catch the ball at awkward angles in high points. Both are highly competitive leaders who leave everything on the field.

With the abundance of talent at the wide receiver position in this year’s draft, Smith-Schuster is most likely to be taken in the 2-3 rounds for a team looking for strong number two wide receiver along an established pro—or a potential top wide out for a young quarter back in need of a reliable target. At any rate, Smith-Schuster should hit the ground running and make an immediate impact in the NFL.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-745690-one-receiver.html

Bonsignore: Rams ready to sort through bevy of receivers at combine
March 4, 2017

INDIANAPOLIS – The wide receivers finally made it to Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday for their on-field workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine. All 58 of them, which is an extraordinary amount of prospects and typifies the heavy emphasis these days on throwing the ball.

Inside the stadium, the Rams scouting and coaching contingency watched intently, wide receiver being such a significant need and, based on how many of them the Rams requested formal interviews with and reach out to informally, this week a particular point of focus this week.

And not just here, either.

The opening of free agency on Monday is expected to offer a slew of interesting possibilities, and the Rams appear poised to be active as new head coach Sean McVay begins building the offense to his specifications.

“We’re confident that we know that market and who, in that market, fits Sean the most,” said Rams general manager Les Snead.

Depending on how aggressive they are next week – and there are strong indications they’ll at least kick the tires on a group that should include Washington’s DeSean Jackson, Cleveland’s Terrelle Pryor, Chicago’s Alshon Jeffery, Washington’s Pierre Garcon – the Rams’ receiver need might not be as compelling as it is right now.

Nevertheless, the Rams at their core are a draft and development organization, so ideally some long-range answers to a position that’s befuddled them for years were on the field Saturday.

Armed with the 37th overall pick in next month’s draft – and eight picks total across the second and seventh rounds – good chance one or two of them might be getting a call from McVay and Snead eventually.

Their draft position eliminates them from consideration for the top prospects – Clemson’s Mike Williams, Western Michigan’s Corey Davis and Washington’s Johnson Ross – but they’re well situated to tap into the next wave. And history shows impact receivers can be found beyond the first round.

With that in mind, here are some wide receivers who should be available when the Rams make their first pick.

JUJU SMITH SCHUSTER, USC, 6-2, 220, 2016 stats: 13 games, 70 catches, 914 yards, 10 TDs: There’s been a lot of talk at the combine that Smith-Schuster profiles as an Anquan Boldin type receiver, which makes a lot of sense. Like Boldin, Smith-Schuster isn’t a blazer, but he’s a big, physical, competitive receiver adept at route running and using his body to create an advantage in one-on-one battles. With the ball in his hands, he’s a punishing runner and isn’t afraid to use his size and strength as a weapon.

“Yeah, definitely. Anquan Boldin,” Smith-Schuster concurred. “His speed, at the same time the way he plays, the way he approaches the game, basically the overall how he plays his game and how tough he is. I kind of see myself the same way.”...

I actually think Dareus Rodgers is a lil safer...guys got grippers....but terrible measurements. Did he even train for this?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Isnt the highest player on your board when you pick the BPA? I believe Donald was that in the 2014 draft. The rams still had Kendall Langford playing at a good level, and he continued to start the first half of the season after Donald was drafted. I think Tre Mason was in the same situation. He was the highest player on there board, by quite a bit, when the pick came up and he was drafted. I recall an old adage of stay true to your board.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Isnt the highest player on your board when you pick the BPA? I believe Donald was that in the 2014 draft. The rams still had Kendall Langford playing at a good level, and he continued to start the first half of the season after Donald was drafted. I think Tre Mason was in the same situation. He was the highest player on there board, by quite a bit, when the pick came up and he was drafted. I recall an old adage of stay true to your board.
Not always. For example, if deshaun Watson falls to our pick in round 2 (just a hypothetical) then he would likely be the BPA but not the highest guy on our board because we don't need him. It's a blend. Get the best guy for a position of need

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Not always. For example, if deshaun Watson falls to our pick in round 2 (just a hypothetical) then he would likely be the BPA but not the highest guy on our board because we don't need him. It's a blend. Get the best guy for a position of need

Well, since the rams have no desire or need to draft a QB at 37, why would they even have Watson on the board?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Well, since the rams have no desire or need to draft a QB at 37, why would they even have Watson on the board?
There in lies the myth of teams always drafting BPA. Watson would likely be the best player available but would definitely not be a need. Hence the Rams and the other 31 teams don't likely include positions not of need like QB in their rankings so they're the Best Player at a Postion of Need Available boards BPPNA :D

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's exactly the point I'm making. Deshaun could be the best player available on the board but he may not even fit the rams board because there isn't a need.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Did the Rams really go for need with Robinson? He was a consensus top 5 player in that draft and a clear choice at #2. I preferred Jake Matthews, but he played the same position.

It seems to me that you keep classifying failed picks as the Rams going for need, but it's not really accurate.

What I'm getting at here is that saying "The Rams should take the BPA" is pretty meaningless. There is no objective BPA. I expect the Rams will take their BPA. It might not be your BPA, though. And your BPA might not be Mel Kiper's BPA. So what does "take the BPA" really mean? I think the vast majority of front offices aren't going away from their board, but who really knows? We aren't in the room.

Anyways, I've dragged you into a completely pointless argument. For that, I apologize. What is your opinion on Chris Godwin? He blew up the Combine today, and I liked his film prior to that.

I adjusted posted on him on the combine thread. It's hard to copy paste with this tablet, but I am a big fan. He was clutch for PSU. He was consistently open and frequently underground, but always caught the contested balls. He will be a huge loss for Penn State next year. Nobody on that roster comes close.

I can't see him getting past round 2. I think there is a chance he slides to the back of round 1. This is looking like a good deep draft overall so it pushes talent back, but look at the group of receivers that went in round 2 with Brian Quick. Godwin, JuJu, and Say Jones are much better than them all except for Alshon. I haven't looked into Houston's needs but O'Brien recruited Godwin and he supposedly loved him at PSU for his work habits and overall great character.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I adjusted posted on him on the combine thread. It's hard to copy paste with this tablet, but I am a big fan. He was clutch for PSU. He was consistently open and frequently underground, but always caught the contested balls. He will be a huge loss for Penn State next year. Nobody on that roster comes close.

I can't see him getting past round 2. I think there is a chance he slides to the back of round 1. This is looking like a good deep draft overall so it pushes talent back, but look at the group of receivers that went in round 2 with Brian Quick. Godwin, JuJu, and Say Jones are much better than them all except for Alshon. I haven't looked into Houston's needs but O'Brien recruited Godwin and he supposedly loved him at PSU for his work habits and overall great character.

Why must you hype me for Godwin? I've already come to the conclusion I want Zay or JuJu... SIGH! I really really really like Godwin, he was my first love when looking at 2017 Draft Candidates.

Honestly, I would be ecstatic if we get either of the three. I really really think all three have the potential to be GOOD. But with a name like Godwin, he could be GODLY!

... and if what you say is true, about his work ethic and character, I love him even more. Seems like a commited-to-excellence type of person.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
But that's not true BPA. You're taking need into account. That's my point here. It's why I railed so hard against the notion of the Rams just going true BPA. It doesn't exist, and even if it did, it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Like every team out there, I'm sure the Rams stack their board based on where they rate talent (taking guys off the board who don't fit their scheme or have certain red flags), and then they delineate in each cluster of talent based on need and positional value.

The only time you can TRULY take BPA is if your team is full of All-pro's that have signed lifetime contracts, then you can just go for BPA - need will always play a part.

When I do my own board of players for the ROD draft, I'll rank players in order of talent (as I see them), players I covet will be highlighted, players that don't fit the scheme, remain on there, but are greyed out, redflag players are marked with red and if it comes down to it I can weigh up on the day whether its a risk I'm willing to take.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I've been impressed with a lot of the WRs this combine, I'd be more than happy to get JuJu as the Rams first pick, I think he'll be a solid receiver in the NFL - he may not be an ODB or Julio Jones type of prospect, he's not a risk, give me a solid WR for a young QB anytime.

I don't think McVay will be taking any risks early in this draft

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why must you hype me for Godwin? I've already come to the conclusion I want Zay or JuJu... SIGH! I really really really like Godwin, he was my first love when looking at 2017 Draft Candidates.

Honestly, I would be ecstatic if we get either of the three. I really really think all three have the potential to be GOOD. But with a name like Godwin, he could be GODLY!

... and if what you say is true, about his work ethic and character, I love him even more. Seems like a commited-to-excellence type of person.

http://www.scout.com/college/penn-state/story/1759751-watch-psu-s-chris-godwin-at-nfl-combine

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually think Dareus Rodgers is a lil safer...guys got grippers....but terrible measurements. Did he even train for this?

Champ, did you see Rogers's Pro Day? He finally ran the 40. He ran a 4.90 40.(in addition to slightly improving upon his terrible jump and agility numbers)

Frankly, it matches what I see on tape. He has nice mitts but no separation skills. Slow in a straight-line and lacking quickness into and explosion out of his breaks.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I completely agree jrry! And as far as Godwin is concerned I have him as my #7 ranked WR!! He has great measurables and size!
* 4.42-40
* Benched 19x
* 36.0 vert.
* 126.0 Broad jump
* 4.oo short shuttle!!!
* 7.01 3-cone drill
* 11.21 Long shuttle
* And a 130.1 SPARQ Score! And Yes he can play Football too!!