Rams in talks with UC Irvine for possible training camp site/OCRegister

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams in talks with UC Irvine for possible training camp site

By SCOTT M. REID / STAFF WRITER

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/training-703725-rams-camp.html

The Rams have had talks with UC Irvine officials about using the campus as a temporary training camp facility, club chief operating officer Kevin Demoff confirmed Thursday.

Describing UCI as the “main O.C. candidate,” Demoff said the Rams have also had talks with “other local universities about training camp.”

The Rams can hold offseason workouts as early as April 18. Rookies reported on July 27 to their 2015 training camp, with veterans reporting four days later.

The Rams' “goal is to make a decision within the next 30 days,” Demoff said.

In previous seasons the franchise has held its preseason training camp at Rams Park in Earth City, Mo., near St. Louis.

The Rams have previously used Crawford Field on the UCI campus. The 12-acre facility can accommodate five full-size football fields. The facility has also hosted Rose Bowl and BCS national championship participants Penn State, Northwestern, Florida State, Texas, Ohio State and Michigan, as well the NFL’s Chargers, Broncos, and Lions.

USC had some of its training camps there during the Paul Hackett era.

The facility adjoins Crawford Hall, which has locker room space in addition to the UCI athletic department’s strength and conditioning center and sports medicine facilities.

The university’s Santora Elite Training Center, which opened in 2013, features an 8,500-square foot weight room.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't think so, I'm not aware of it if it does. Do you remember where it was ?
Nah - I was just a kid of 14 or 15. They would let minors in if accompanied by an adult "sponsor". My sister's boyfriend's family lived in MV so he would take me there. It was kind of a landmark back then. I used to go in and run the tables. Wish I could play half as well now. It was a pretty cool place though. They had pictures of Willie Mosconi, Jackie Gleason, and Paul Newman on the walls. I guess they filmed parts of The Hustler there or something.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Nah - I was just a kid of 14 or 15. They would let minors in if accompanied by an adult "sponsor". My sister's boyfriend's family lived in MV so he would take me there. It was kind of a landmark back then. I used to go in and run the tables. Wish I could play half as well now. It was a pretty cool place though. They had pictures of Willie Mosconi, Jackie Gleason, and Paul Newman on the walls. I guess they filmed parts of The Hustler there or something.

That's interesting, wish I would have known about it. There's not many things still around from that long ago though. This place is a completely different world from when I was growing up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's interesting, wish I would have known about it. There's not many things still around from that long ago though. This place is a completely different world from when I was growing up.
Yeah - not surprising. I grew up on the corner of Corbin and Parthenia in the Valley. It was a pretty cool place to be a kid. Now? Not so much. I'm sure MV hasn't gone the same route but no doubt I wouldn't recognize it.