Rams Give Tryouts to Two Canadian League Stars

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Howard Balzer
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101espn.com/?sid=15727765&nid=99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101espn.com/?sid=15727765&nid=99</a>

The Rams are in the process of hiring a head coach and general manager, but the personnel department is actively looking at players that could potentially improve the roster.

Thursday, the Rams had tryouts with two Canadian Football League All-Stars that played this past season for the league champion British Columbia Lions: linebacker Solomon Elimimian and tackle Jovan Olafioye. Both just concluded their second seasons in the CFL and were named to the CFL All-Star team.

Olafioye, 6-6, 325, from North Carolina Central, played right tackle for the Lions. The team’s left tackle, Ben Archibald, said of his NFL potential, “I’ve never seen anyone with his strength and aggressive demeanor at such a young age (24). He has the physicality to do whatever he wants, and that’s what they look for, when you’re playing against the bigger bodies in the NFL. That’s what you need and that’s what he has.”

Elimimian, 6-0, 227, who played collegiately at Hawaii, was briefly in the Buffalo Bills training camp in 2009. He was named the CFL’s outstanding defensive rookie in 2010 and this past season was voted the league’s hardest hitter in a player poll.

steferfootball

Starter
Sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind a little Pete Carol-esk recruitment -- that is finding players in unique situations.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Got to give Willams who is filling in till they hire a GM props. The dude is out there beating the bushes and signing them up.
I watch a lot of CFL and both of these guys can play. Olafioye would have to be a RT.....But why not give him a try.

steferfootball

Starter
Yamahopper said:
Got to give Willams who is filling in till they hire a GM props. The dude is out there beating the bushes and signing them up.
I watch a lot of CFL and both of these guys can play. Olafioye would have to be a RT.....But why not give him a try.
We need a right tackle. Whether or not Jason Smith can be the guy is irreverent - his health alone is enough to get an insurance plan.

I hope one or both of these guys are gems.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
Or Guard, and he's been really creating a buzz for himself this year. He's supposedly a beast who is tenacious. Did you see this? I know he goes like 330 lbs.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
Or Guard, and he's been really creating a buzz for himself this year. He's supposedly a beast who is tenacious. Did you see this? I know he goes like 330 lbs.

Seen him play against my beloved Eskimo's. He just body slams those light D line players.
His foot work isn't great and he is kinda slow so yes G might be the best option for him. He gets by on raw strength now and in the NFL he will have to improve his leverage.

I think the LB is to light to play even the WIl right now , but could be a ST demon. I think he's a very sure tackler.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

Seen him play against my beloved Eskimo's. He just body slams those light D line players.
His foot work isn't great and he is kinda slow so yes G might be the best option for him. He gets by on raw strength now and in the NFL he will have to improve his leverage.

I think the LB is to light to play even the WIl right now , but could be a ST demon. I think he's a very sure tackler.
Almost finished scouting the top tackles. Huge gap between Kalil and everyone else....HUGE.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

Almost finished scouting the top tackles. Huge gap between Kalil and everyone else....HUGE.

I like Martin 2nd best but there is a drop off. He's strong but lacks punch and at times gets lost like J. Smith.

Thinking if no kalil then would hope to boster the line in a trade down to get DeCastro or Glenn. Kinda hope Konz or Glenn falls to the 2nd.

But Kalil fixes that line right quick.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's aboot time the Rams found a gem. Finding a RT could really help out the draft and FA so they can get someone else. At least they're tryin, eh?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
It's aboot time the Rams found a gem. Finding a RT could really help out the draft and FA so they can get someone else. At least they're tryin, eh?

Not sure what the new coach will think but hell yeah bring these guys in for a look.

Lesson

Oh, really?
They did this with Andrew Hawkins last summer.

He was cut the first day of camp and has caught on with the Bungals and has had a mildly productive season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I like the potential of Olafioye in particular. A really strong 6'6", 330 pound right tackle who could also play guard? That would be awesome. If he could fix our problems at left guard, I'd be thrilled. I'm not counting on it, though, and I don't think that having a slow right tackle is going to fix our offensive line either. I'm still hoping for Kalil in the first round so that we could move Saffold to right tackle and improve two positions.

I doubt Elimimian sees anything more than special teams, but I have to say this: he's got an awesome last name.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rams have made three moves without Devaney and Spags...two of them were offensive lineman. The team knows that this was the BIGGEST problem on the team, although a lot of fans don't realize it. Not dissing anyone here.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
DR RAM said:
Rams have made three moves without Devaney and Spags...two of them were offensive lineman. The team knows that this was the BIGGEST problem on the team, although a lot of fans don't realize it. Not dissing anyone here.

Nuh uh..it was all Bradford's fault because he couldnt block or catch the ball. :rofl:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

What do you think DR? I've heard that he really is not as good as the elite LTs in the league (Joe Thomas, Jake Long) and may just be "another guy" at LT. I'd rather have a playmaker than "just a guy".

quebecramfan

Rookie
I grew up in Vancouver so I still watch the B.C. Lions play and these are 2 pretty good players. The linebacker is a very hard and agressive hitter. Would be sad to see them leave the Lions but hey... at least it would be to join the Rams..... I remember losing Cameron Wake to the Dolphins... :amped:

bluecoconuts

Legend
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

What do you think DR? I've heard that he really is not as good as the elite LTs in the league (Joe Thomas, Jake Long) and may just be "another guy" at LT. I'd rather have a playmaker than "just a guy".

I heard he could be another Jake Long type player. Not the best run blocker, but his pass protection is off the charts.

DR will probably give a more detailed report though.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

I heard he could be another Jake Long type player. Not the best run blocker, but his pass protection is off the charts.

DR will probably give a more detailed report though.
He's actually a really hard prospect to rate. But I'll give you this off the top of my head.

He's not the athlete that Thomas is, but few are. He doesn't blow you away on film all the time, as he seems to conserve energy when the play is away from him. He's not lazy though, just seems smart to me.

Run blocking:

When the play is on his side, I've seen him block down and take out 3 guys, two of them defensive lineman. He finishes, you will see him locked up with a defensive lineman, have a brief stalemate, and then the defender folds backwards. I don't see a huge pop all the time, but he wins the battle almost everytime. This would be my biggest negative about him, he's not a snap, pop, immediate pile driver. He needs to move his feet a little before the drive. I've seen him a lot, and I've never seen him get knocked on his back, in fact, you almost never see him off of his feet. He IS a very good second level blocker, I think he would be our best the second that he plays, He has a uncanny way of getting to guys and then just burying them. He knocks guys off the screen. This is where you will find him leave his feet, but only if there is one guy to block, he will keep his feet if he sees multiple threats. Like I said....smart.

Pass pro:

Remember, he beat out another tackle that got drafted last year that is REALLY good already in the NFL. And he has a brother in the NFL. He knows what it takes. The thing that's hard for me to read is his pass protection, he seems so darn relaxed it's kind of strange, but what really is going on is that he is very patient, waiting for his man to make his move. Technique wise, he seems to have a little different technique. He has a very wide stance which lowers his center of gravity, and he kind of just shuffles his feet wherever they need to be, it's pretty unique if you ask me. He almost ALWAYS wins the battle, he plays with incredible balance, and is rarely off his feet. He handles the bull rush pretty well for his weight. I'm guessing that he has very long arms--he uses them very well. He DOES have pop in pass pro, which he uses to knock pass rushers off balance before they can get into him. He never stops moving his feet even when the pass rusher seems to have the edge, he sticks with him until the whistle. He gave up 0 sacks and USC passes a lot. They go downfield with deep drops a lot.

DR's impression:

He is a can't miss prospect and will be an immediate left tackle starter in the NFL. If he gets in a little better shape cardio wise, I see him get winded, and if he adds about 20 to 30 pounds of muscle, which he can easily carry on his 6'7" frame, then I think he could be a perennial Pro Bowl caliber player. No doubt in my mind. The more I watch him, the more I like him. If you watch him on film and watch any of the other top tackle prospects, Kalil will blow you away, as he blows away the competition.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The only thing I worry if they prefer the Kalil route, is if Blackmon goes somewhere and is an instant stud, while Sam has who to throw to?

Amendola- Great slot, possesion guy.

Salas- YAC guy.

DX- Deep guy, but not reliable b/c of his injury.

Kendricks- I like his potential but you can't rely on a TE as a #1 WR.

W/ Pettis being suspended, I don't think he'll be back unless he has a stud TC. Same with the other guys (Gibson, Clayton, etc.)

I really, really hope the Rams can sign Marques Colston or find another star WR, b/c then I'd have no problem w/ Kalil.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
The only thing I worry if they prefer the Kalil route, is if Blackmon goes somewhere and is an instant stud, while Sam has who to throw to?

Amendola- Great slot, possesion guy.

Salas- YAC guy.

DX- Deep guy, but not reliable b/c of his injury.

Kendricks- I like his potential but you can't rely on a TE as a #1 WR.

W/ Pettis being suspended, I don't think he'll be back unless he has a stud TC. Same with the other guys (Gibson, Clayton, etc.)

I really, really hope the Rams can sign Marques Colston or find another star WR, b/c then I'd have no problem w/ Kalil.
The way things are shaping up in the draft, the Rams won't stay put unless they fall in love with Kalil. That's my read right now, even as good as I think Blackmon is. Blackmon could still be available in a tradedown scenario. Kalil will be gone by pick 3, a few teams may try to trade up for him.