Rams free-agent preview: Interior offensive line/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams free-agent preview: Interior offensive line
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ms-free-agent-preview-interior-offensive-line

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The free-agent market is scheduled to open March 10 and teams may begin negotiations with those poised to hit the market beginning March 7. We'll count down to that with a position-by-position look at what the St. Louis Rams have in place, who is set to hit the market, what they might need and who might fit the bill.

Under contract: Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney, Travis Bond

Pending free agents: Davin Joseph, Tim Barnes (restricted), Brandon Washington (exclusive rights)

What's needed: There's probably not an area on the team that needs more attention than the interior of the offensive line. Saffold is set at either guard position though the Rams believe he's best on the right side. From there, the Rams must investigate every avenue to get better at the other guard position and in the middle. Wells is still under contract for one more year though releasing him would save $4 million. He's due a roster bonus on the third day of the league year so a decision will have to come soon on that front. Wells is a venerable, tough pro but simply hasn't been healthy enough to perform to the level of his contract. The Rams may decide he's their best option while simultaneously trying to develop young talents like Jones and Rhaney, though. Joseph is also a consummate pro but it's clear his best football is behind him and it seems unlikely the Rams would re-sign him, at least not to be a starter again. Since they control the rights to Washington and Barnes, it seems reasonable that both could return at relatively cheap prices. Either through the draft or free agency, the Rams probably need at least two or three bodies to compete for the two positions and provide depth.

Possible fits: The free-agent market isn't exactly flush with talent though there are some interesting names at both center and guard. Among guards, San Francisco's Mike Iupati fits the bill of a physical, power-oriented player who would not only fit the Rams but weaken an NFC West opponent. Iupati is going to be expensive, though, and has had some health issues in recent seasons. He's still only 27, so he figures to still have some of his best football ahead of him so long as he stays healthy. At center, Kansas City's Rodney Hudson and Oakland's Stefen Wisniewski could also hit the market and both should be desired commodities. Hudson would be a terrific addition. He's 25 and considered one of the rising stars of his position because of his intelligence and athleticism. Wisniewski isn't quite at Hudson's level but fits the mold of a physical, tough type that would make sense in St. Louis. Beyond that trio, the pickings are mostly slim though there might be some more affordable younger options. Others available at guard include Cincinnati's Clint Boling, Denver's Orlando Franklin and Seattle's James Carpenter won't cost as much as Iupati but could draw some interest from around the league.

Verdict: The Rams will almost certainly make some moves to give them salary-cap flexibility but it remains to be seen whether they want to dive into the market for a big-ticket item. They have a handful of key contributors who can be free agents after the 2015 season so they might prefer to leave room to retain their own rather than sign a big-name offensive lineman. If the Rams do decide to spend some money on a higher-priced player or two, this is the one area it might make the most sense. Hudson or Wisniewski would be a nice upgrade at center and the same can be said for Iupati at guard. Beyond that, it wouldn't surprise if the Rams kept Washington and Barnes and allowed Joseph to leave.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hey Nick Wagoner what's with the centering in on the interior Ram OL needs? While I agree with you....Help me out here.... #1- Who is the Rams Right Tackle? #2-Who is the Rams back up Right Tackle? #3-Who on the Ram roster can back up & play Left Tackle?

Hey Nick..."Under contract: Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney, Travis Bond".....did you leave out someone? Greg Robinson ...oh by the way he is the lone one Tackle signed by the Rams org in 2015?

OK Wells is an interior OL right? Barrett Jones is a interior OL'er right? Rhaney is an interior OL'er right? Travis Bond is an interior OL'er right ? Saffold is a starter @ either OLG or ORG all interior OL'er right?

Hey Nick then you state that center Tim Barnes & LG/RG Brandon Washington are easy returning OL'er & yes I agree but both of them are interior Ol'ers ...right?. I counted SEVEN (7) interior Ram OL'ers above ....how many Tackles do we have?

Of the UFA OL'ers currently availble that could fit the needs here with the Rams...Bengals Clint Boling could very easily start @ OLG or play ORT if needed, Denver's Orlando Franklin would go very well with Saffold as the starting duo OG tandem & if needed he could play ORT. Those would be my top two go after UFA's.

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Hopefully this is just one of a series of articles, and the next one will focus on OT.

But I think you make a good point listing all the players we have there already. Shows his conclusion of "the Rams probably need at least two or three bodies to compete" is false. We have plenty of interior OL *bodies* -- what is necessary is *starting talent*.

As far as:
- "The Rams may decide [Wells] is their best option..."; and
- "it wouldn't surprise if the Rams ... allowed Joseph to leave"...

I just have to voice my displeasure at these media morons consistently minimizing the situations of Wells and Joseph. They have to go. NOW.

There's no "best option" thought crap involving Wells... The Rams would be better off having Bradford self-hike over Wells (less chance of injury or a fumble off his legs).

There's no "it wouldn't surprise if Jones left" crap... He's gone. Period.

Every single media beat writer should flat-out declare the Rams are the most asinine organization in sports history if there is one millisecond of any thought of bringing back Wells or Joseph, enough of this pussy footing around it.

Last edited:

SierraRam

Recreational User
One thing's for certain, our OL situation is dire! Suppose Rhaney or Jones isn't the answer at C and Barksdale walks? - Even is we sign two FA's, we have to draft at least two more OL's just to fill out the roster.

It can be done, but we're paying BIG Time for years of relying too heavily on overpriced and overrated FA's. I say sign one possible starter and draft two Monsters early to go with Saffold and GRob.

Rd 1: OL (unless Mariotta or White is there...not likely!)
Rd 2: OL

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have never shown a willingness to enter the draft with holes at any position so FA is gonna happen. The key this time around is getting someone who can stay healthy. Long wasn't too bad in those small windows he was healthy, but the danger signs were there that he was gonna have issues with his health.

I expect Snead to focus in on health, youth, and also having flexibility. I'd rank them this way:

1. Hudson. He is young at 26. Suffered an injury in 2012 that cost him most of the season but in the past two he has played 31 of 32 games and is the best FA offensive lineman on the market. Since he's a center he won't be looking at breaking the bank but the dude is gonna get paid and its gonna be expensive. He would upgrade our line significantly so I think the Rams will make at least an offer if not a run at him.

2. Iupati. Turns 28 in May. Has had injuries like fractured fibula and the ankle injury in the playoffs but he's played a lot of games regardless and at a high level. Only issue with him is he's not strong at pulling/movement but if they plan to stick him at, say, LG and let him stay at home he is a fit. Nice thing about him next to GRob is few DLs could stand in their way on a run to the left. So I think the Rams will take a long look at him and maybe make an offer. Problem is the Skins are ready to throw money at him to finish up their power blocking OL so he's an unlikely signing.

3. Wisniewski. Turns 26 in March. Durable but doesn't play at the highest level, most rankings I have seen are in the 20s for centers which isn't a good thing. Reason I think the Rams will pursue him heavily is because he has also played OG and was respectable albeit in a small sample size. So some flexibility, durability, and youth. Rams will plan on making him an elite player under Boudreaux and will pay the guy enough to sign him or at least pursue heavily.

4. Boling. Turns 26 in May. Had the ACL tear 2013 but didn't miss a beat last year and graded out avg in pass blocking and solid in run blocking. He's a really nice fit but the ACL injury is going to be a big concern. He brings flexibility and youth but the injury sets him below the others along with his avg play.

So again... I think the Rams will prioritize Wiz and move on him early by overpaying just a little to get him. I also expect them to stay in the mix with Barks and hopefully they manage to bring him back. If so here's what we're looking at:

LT: GRob
LG: DRAFTEE
C: Wisniewski
RG: Saffold
RT: Barks

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
This works for me!!

That works for me too!

Although I would love to draft- Cameron Erving in round 2... He's the top rated Center according to Walter's football site...As you can see in the Walter scouting report below, Cameron was moved to Center midway thru 2014...I need to go scout film on those games....We need an excellent Center.

FloridaState_logo.gif
Cameron Erving, G/OT/C, Florida State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 313.
40 Time: 5.15.
Projected Round (2015): 1-2.

2/28/15: Midway through the 2014 season, Florida State moved Erving to center, and the senior played a lot better on the inside. For the NFL, Erving looks like he should stay inside at center or guard, or possibly right tackle. Erving could be a valuable player on game days who can move from center to guard or tackle depending on injuries.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

That works for me too!

Although I would love to draft- Cameron Erving in round 2... He's the top rated Center according to Walter's football site...As you can see in the Walter scouting report below, Cameron was moved to Center midway thru 2014...I need to go scout film on those games....We need an excellent Center.

FloridaState_logo.gif
Cameron Erving, G/OT/C, Florida State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 313.
40 Time: 5.15.
Projected Round (2015): 1-2.

2/28/15: Midway through the 2014 season, Florida State moved Erving to center, and the senior played a lot better on the inside. For the NFL, Erving looks like he should stay inside at center or guard, or possibly right tackle. Erving could be a valuable player on game days who can move from center to guard or tackle depending on injuries.
Erving is also very high on my List!!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If Cooper and White are gone, BPA has to be Scherff unless you like OT Flowers in that spot like walterfootball.

And how did he forget about Barks? We need to resign him and put him next to Saffold. Scherff can play LG and we can draft somebody to play C in the second of third round. Not a strong draft class for C's for what I've seen, though.

Cut Bradford, sign the 2 best OL available with the cap saving, trade up for Mariota. Problem meet solution, solution problem.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cut Bradford, sign the 2 best OL available with the cap saving, trade up for Mariota. Problem meet solution, solution problem.

If only the real world were that simple. You have to cut Bradford before FA for that to happen. Which means that you head into the draft with no QB. Which means that any other team out there is going to know that you want to get him.

So then the problem becomes...how far do you go to outbid everyone else? And that assumes that Mariota doesn't go #1. And the Titans aren't taking a QB at #2. Because if the Titans and Bucs each take a QB, you're up shit creek without a paddle.

But lets assume the Titans decide not to take a QB. Now, you're going to have to work a trade up with one of the teams picking from #2 to #5. But what happens if the Jets, Browns, and Eagles also want Mariota. You've got yourself a bunch of bidders for one player.

So then the question becomes...how much do you offer? How far are you willing to go? If it comes to it, will you offer a RGIII type trade? And even if you do, will that be enough?

But if you don't, who is playing QB next year?

Yea, I'm sorry but this solution just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather we save our money, sign two reasonably priced OLs, and have the flexibility going into the draft to be able to go with the flow.

Plus, signing the best OLs available hasn't really panned out for us in the past.

If only the real world were that simple. You have to cut Bradford before FA for that to happen. Which means that you head into the draft with no QB. Which means that any other team out there is going to know that you want to get him.

So then the problem becomes...how far do you go to outbid everyone else? And that assumes that Mariota doesn't go #1. And the Titans aren't taking a QB at #2. Because if the Titans and Bucs each take a QB, you're up crap creek without a paddle.

But lets assume the Titans decide not to take a QB. Now, you're going to have to work a trade up with one of the teams picking from #2 to #5. But what happens if the Jets, Browns, and Eagles also want Mariota. You've got yourself a bunch of bidders for one player.

So then the question becomes...how much do you offer? How far are you willing to go? If it comes to it, will you offer a RGIII type trade? And even if you do, will that be enough?

But if you don't, who is playing QB next year?

Yea, I'm sorry but this solution just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather we save our money, sign two reasonably priced OLs, and have the flexibility going into the draft to be able to go with the flow.

Plus, signing the best OLs available hasn't really panned out for us in the past.

I agree, you're best remaining fully committed to Bradford until Jacksonville are on the clock and Mariota is still on the board, then make your move.

But as it's only a message board I'll live in the dream world where Madden is the most accurate representation of the NFL ever created :).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is just my personal opinion but these are the guys I would pursue:
1. Clint Boling OG/RT Cincinnati (Value Estimation: $4-$6 million per year)
2. Derek Newton RT/OG Houston (Value Estimation: $4-$5 million per year)
3. Justin Blalock OG Atlanta (Value Estimation: $2-$3 million per year)
4. Rob Sims OG Detroit (Value Estimation: $2-$3 million per year)
5. Jermey Parnell OT Dallas (Value Estimation: $3-$5 million per year)

Why these guys? I think all will be reasonably priced because they fall more into that mid tier of free agency. Blalock and Sims are both "bridge" players. They're 30+ years old and would be brought on more as depth than anything but both are still solid, durable starters that are more than capable of starting if a rookie isn't ready. Basically, they're what Davin Joseph was supposed to be. Both are great fits for the power scheme.

Boling is still relatively young and is a steady, reliable starting OG. He can slide out to RT in a pinch but I'd be most comfortable with him at OG. If we're signing him, he could operate as a 6th OL but he would also offer us a very steady starter at LG. Probably not the greatest scheme fit for us in that he's not an overpowering drive blocker but more of a solid all around guy. But he played in a PBS in Cincy and was effective in it.

Jermey Parnell has been Dallas's swing OT the past few years and thrived in that role. This year, he had to step in and start 6 games due to injuries to Free including both playoff games. He didn't allow a sack in 6 games and the Dallas OL didn't seem to miss a beat. I think he's a guy who's poised to get a starting job in FA. Really proved himself this year. Dallas runs a ZBS but Parnell has the size to play RT in a PBS. Not sure what type of contract he'll get because he's never been a full time starter but he's one of those guys who could be a great value buy in FA because of that. Really good performance when he's played the past two years.

Derek Newton is a bit of a different story from Parnell. He's been a full time starter for the Texans but really struggled in Kubiak's ZBS. The Texans brought in Boudreau's assistant OL Coach from Atlanta as their new OL Coach under O'Brien and Newton thrived in his scheme. They now replaced that OL Coach with another. Newton has the size to play in a PBS and I think he fits best in a PBS. He's a better run blocker than pass protector at RT and has some of the same issues that Barksdale has(i.e. really good run blocker but average pass protector) but I think he'll be a bit cheaper and still has some upside because he's an athletic kid that was quite raw coming out. Plus, Newton performed EXTREMELY well at OG this year when Houston needed him to step in. So he adds some versatility and could possibly even be considered as an OG convert.

Why not Rodney Hudson? I've been hearing rumors that he wants to be one of the highest paid centers in the league. That's like $8 to $9 million a year. I'd rather get two of these guys than only one player. But if his price is more reasonable...like $7 to $7.5 million a year, I'd be good with him.

Why not Iupati? Seems like your typical signing that blows up in our face. Been getting more and more nicked up the past couple years, isn't a good pass protector, and is about to get paid big money. These signings never work out for us. I'd stay away from him.

Why not Wisniewski? I'm not opposed to Wisniewski but I've been looking into him more and he seems like more of an average Center than anything. If I were to sign him, it would have to be at a reasonable price...like a similar price to what I'm estimating on Newton. That all said, I'm not as concerned about the Center position as some other Rams fans and I happen to like some of the Centers in this draft. Would rather fortify OG and OT before the draft...and improve depth.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When I hear Snead say "I feel like we are drafting on a diet" it screams trade down from #10 to me - if possible - to fill holes on the OL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, you're best remaining fully committed to Bradford until Jacksonville are on the clock and Mariota is still on the board, then make your move.

But as it's only a message board I'll live in the dream world where Madden is the most accurate representation of the NFL ever created :).

Unfortunately, if we do that, we can't make those big signings in FA. I'm in total agreement with you. If I could make sure that I got Winston or Mariota, I'd certainly consider trading or cutting Bradford. Although, now that I think about it, I might keep Bradford if I got Mariota. Think it would be a smart move to allow Mariota time to adjust to the NFL and a new scheme.

But that would be a tough call.

I really wish Cardale Jones entered this draft.

Unfortunately, if we do that, we can't make those big signings in FA. I'm in total agreement with you. If I could make sure that I got Winston or Mariota, I'd certainly consider trading or cutting Bradford. Although, now that I think about it, I might keep Bradford if I got Mariota. Think it would be a smart move to allow Mariota time to adjust to the NFL and a new scheme.

But that would be a tough call.

I really wish Cardale Jones entered this draft.

Yeah, you wouldn't be in great shape this year in FA, but you'd be good in 2016, if it guaranteed Mariota I'd be more than willing to do it.

I wouldn't cut Bradford, there's no real benefit from doing so, if someone offered us a third round pick I'd take it, but if not I'd sit Mariota for a year. Unless Bradford refused to play knowing he had only one season.

Yeah it sucks that the QB class is so poor beyond those two, if Cook, Hogan, Jones or any other QB with talent had come out we'd be in much better shape.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, you wouldn't be in great shape this year in FA, but you'd be good in 2016, if it guaranteed Mariota I'd be more than willing to do it.

I wouldn't cut Bradford, there's no real benefit from doing so, if someone offered us a third round pick I'd take it, but if not I'd sit Mariota for a year. Unless Bradford refused to play knowing he had only one season.

Yeah it sucks that the QB class is so poor beyond those two, if Cook, Hogan, Jones or any other QB with talent had come out we'd be in much better shape.

I wouldn't be happy with the other two. Not a fan of either. Just wish Hundley had the instincts to match his athleticism.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Hey Nick Wagoner what's with the centering in on the interior Ram OL needs? While I agree with you....Help me out here.... #1- Who is the Rams Right Tackle? #2-Who is the Rams back up Right Tackle? #3-Who on the Ram roster can back up & play Left Tackle?

Hey Nick..."Under contract: Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney, Travis Bond".....did you leave out someone? Greg Robinson ...oh by the way he is the lone one Tackle signed by the Rams org in 2015?

OK Wells is an interior OL right? Barrett Jones is a interior OL'er right? Rhaney is an interior OL'er right? Travis Bond is an interior OL'er right ? Saffold is a starter @ either OLG or ORG all interior OL'er right?

Hey Nick then you state that center Tim Barnes & LG/RG Brandon Washington are easy returning OL'er & yes I agree but both of them are interior Ol'ers ...right?. I counted SEVEN (7) interior Ram OL'ers above ....how many Tackles do we have?

Of the UFA OL'ers currently availble that could fit the needs here with the Rams...Bengals Clint Boling could very easily start @ OLG or play ORT if needed, Denver's Orlando Franklin would go very well with Saffold as the starting duo OG tandem & if needed he could play ORT. Those would be my top two go after UFA's.
Forgive me, I've been out of the country and have not kept up as much. I still thought we have Jake Long, no? Did we cut him? If not, he can do a couple of things for us. He can either play LG or play RT. Either would go a long way (no pun intended) to shoring up our OL holes. I know it feels crappy to rely on someone with injury problems but he could help us out

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you look at the article, it is titled "Rams free-agent preview: Interior offensive line". This article is only covering the interior of the offensive line. That is why he is only talking about Centers and Guards.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
If you look at the article, it is titled "Rams free-agent preview: Interior offensive line". This article is only covering the interior of the offensive line. That is why he is only talking about Centers and Guards.
It also mentioned that it is a series of articles. I also thought he already did the Tackles segment.