Rams Final Roster (Defensive Line)?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just curious what Defensive Linemen will make the Rams final roster. I am assuming barring some major trade Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, Chris Long and Robert Quinn will all make the final roster but what about William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Nick Fairly and Ethan Westbrooks? With the apparently good preseason play by both DE Matt Longacre and DT Louis Trinca-Pasat do you think any of those players are in jeopardy of losing their roster spots? I guess Longacre and/or Trinca-Pasat can be put on the Practice Squad but I am not sure they would be there long before another team signed them. I guess that is the problems teams have when they have such deep depth at certain positions!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would cut Westbrooks. LTP has outplayed him at DT. I like Worthington. I think he is quality depth at DT and the Rams need another Brockers type. The head scratcher is Fairley. They may try to put Longacre on the PS but damn, he plays both end spots. Talk about versatility. A few pointed to Simms contract being up but I think too many forget what a good contributor he is. I don't think Fisher entertains cutting Hayes either.

1.Quinn
2.Brockers
3.Donald
4.Long
5.Trinca-Passat
6.Simms
7.Hayes
8.Worthington
9.Longacre
10.Fairley
11.Westbrooks

How many can they realistically keep? Surprise cuts Fairley/Westbrooks, but not likely. I will guess Worthington, Longacre, Westbrooks.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
No way they cut Westbrooks and I see Trinca making the team. It's to bad that Worthington got hurt I thought he had a chance. Sims and Hayes are solid and can slide inside just like Westbrooks.

fearsomefour

Legend
Hayes is one of the key contributors to the D line, no way he goes anywhere. They need to keep Sims so he can collect his usual 4 or 5 roughing penalties this year.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hayes is one of the key contributors to the D line, no way he goes anywhere. They need to keep Sims so he can collect his usual 4 or 5 roughing penalties this year.
To be fair to Simms at least half of those were bogus calls

fearsomefour

Legend
To be fair to Simms at least half of those were bogus calls
I will give you half. He tends to make dumb plays. You have to know what is going to be called now. Perfect example is the call on Quinn in the preseason game. Going up high (doesn't really matter if you contact the head or not) after the ball is released is going to get a flag.
I like Sims and he has been a steady contributor to the D line. A nice find when the Rams developed him. For whatever reason flags seem to find him.
I sort of wonder why an undrafted FA d lineman would choose St. Louis over another location. Thats a tough make. With basically 7 spots spoken for the odds are tough. I like the young guys they brought in this year though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'ma borrow this from @Elmgrovegnome thanks bro:
1.Quinn
2.Brockers
3.Donald
4.Long
5.Trinca-Passat
6.Simms
7.Hayes
8.Worthington
9.Longacre
10.Fairley
11.Westbrooks
12.Infedi

Practice Squad in RED

These probably are all the serious contenders....Westbrooks can play...Boneheaded, but plays ALL 4 DL positions...and plays them fairly well...He'll grow into a monster...Think of Bennett in Seattle...

LTP is a keeper...He needs to switch numbers with Infedi on his way out....

Worthington....hmm...not feeling him...He'll make his case for PS in game 4...tough game too, cause the Chiefs look for real...AFC West is serious.

Fairley isn't Langford....Damn, why didn't we just keep him? He must have wanted to leave...But Fairley isn't getting cut...They just let him coast, rarely plays him...I'll say again, he single-handedly won that NCG....I think he can be a more disruptive Brockers in spurts...We'll like having him on 3rd downs...Should be able to blitz less.

Longacre....I kinda like this guy...Great practice motor...Came from outta nowhere...Tough Call...But I see him and Westbrooks as the same guy...Except Westbrooks has a year of pro-style training...I'd try to stash him on the practice squad, but don't think he'll survive...

Ifendi...I'll add him...PS definitely...dude is explosive...but find my other rant on raw players...dude has potential. but watch him...doesn't even know which gap to occupy most plays...lets OL direct him to where THEY want him to go...he doesn't have the instincts to fight against it and make a play...does that make sense?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just curious what Defensive Linemen will make the Rams final roster. I am assuming barring some major trade Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, Chris Long and Robert Quinn will all make the final roster but what about William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Nick Fairly and Ethan Westbrooks? With the apparently good preseason play by both DE Matt Longacre and DT Louis Trinca-Pasat do you think any of those players are in jeopardy of losing their roster spots? I guess Longacre and/or Trinca-Pasat can be put on the Practice Squad but I am not sure they would be there long before another team signed them. I guess that is the problems teams have when they have such deep depth at certain positions!
Last year, if I'm not mistaken, the Rams cared 9 D-Lineman. They can add Trinca-Pasat with out cutting anyone, BUT, IF they want to keep Longacre, in the 53, they would have to cut Westbrooks, and I don't see that happening! Neither Trinca-Pasat or Longacre will last long enough to make it to the PS IMHO!
I, personally, DON'T WANT TO LOSE TRINCA-PASAT!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Ready for a dose of outside the box thinking?

Here goes...

I think they might release (or trade) Fairley. I'm serious. He's looked nowhere near the player we thought we were adding to our DL rotation. Is he just a plain lazy head case?

Think about this from a possible Fisher/FO point of view.

Hayes and Sims have contracts up after this year and neither are getting any younger.
That might make young DL players with 1 or 2 years in the GW system to replace them verrrrry attractive.
Fisher places a high priority on DL players.
Westbrook, LTP, and Longacre have flashed both potential and versatility.
All 3 are cap friendly.
Fairley's contract is structured to make him cuttable, thanks to Demoff.
Fairley might be demonstrating the laziness that made Detroit let him walk.

It might be an outside the box idea, but I don't think it's altogether crazy, either.

What do y'all think?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ready for a dose of outside the box thinking?

Here goes...

I think they might release (or trade) Fairley. I'm serious. He's looked nowhere near the player we thought we were adding to our DL rotation. Is he just a plain lazy head case?

Think about this from a possible Fisher/FO point of view.

Hayes and Sims have contracts up after this year and neither are getting any younger.
That might make young DL players with 1 or 2 years in the GW system to replace them verrrrry attractive.
Fisher places a high priority on DL players.
Westbrook, LTP, and Longacre have flashed both potential and versatility.
All 3 are cap friendly.
Fairley's contract is structured to make him cuttable, thanks to Demoff.
Fairley might be demonstrating the laziness that made Detroit let him walk.

It might be an outside the box idea, but I don't think it's altogether crazy, either.

What do y'all think?

I am on board with this idea. Unless of course the coaches wanted him to coast in the preseason. So far I am not seeing that he is worth his contract. I also agree about developing/teaching some young guys. Chris Long isn't getting any younger either.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'ma borrow this from @Elmgrovegnome thanks bro:
1.Quinn
2.Brockers
3.Donald
4.Long
5.Trinca-Passat
6.Simms
7.Hayes
8.Worthington
9.Longacre
10.Fairley
11.Westbrooks
12.Infedi

Practice Squad in RED

These probably are all the serious contenders....Westbrooks can play...Boneheaded, but plays ALL 4 DL positions...and plays them fairly well...He'll grow into a monster...Think of Bennett in Seattle...

LTP is a keeper...He needs to switch numbers with Infedi on his way out....

Worthington....hmm...not feeling him...He'll make his case for PS in game 4...tough game too, cause the Chiefs look for real...AFC West is serious.

Fairley isn't Langford....Damn, why didn't we just keep him? He must have wanted to leave...But Fairley isn't getting cut...They just let him coast, rarely plays him...I'll say again, he single-handedly won that NCG....I think he can be a more disruptive Brockers in spurts...We'll like having him on 3rd downs...Should be able to blitz less.

Longacre....I kinda like this guy...Great practice motor...Came from outta nowhere...Tough Call...But I see him and Westbrooks as the same guy...Except Westbrooks has a year of pro-style training...I'd try to stash him on the practice squad, but don't think he'll survive...

Ifendi...I'll add him...PS definitely...dude is explosive...but find my other rant on raw players...dude has potential. but watch him...doesn't even know which gap to occupy most plays...lets OL direct him to where THEY want him to go...he doesn't have the instincts to fight against it and make a play...does that make sense?

Worthington was drafted in 2010. I don't think he can be PS'd. So if he doesn't make it then he is a cut, if I am correct. He is more of the run stuffing DT type. I don't think the Rams have that in a back up DT do they? They seem to be trying to get Westbrook into that role by adding weight and moving to DT.

I forgot all about Ifedi. Technically Ifedi and Longacre can be PS'd but I bet they get picked up, especially Longacre. No way LTP can be PS'd he will be gone in the blink of an eye. He has to make the team or he is gone, I agree with that. I also agree that they should have just kept tried to keep Langford.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Seems like we're nearing a consensus that they keep 9 - Quinn, Donald, Brockers, Long, Hayes, Fairley, Simms, LTP and Westbrooks.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What do y'all think?
The huge if in this conversation...what if Fairley can play? I mean...I haven't seen anything to make me think he's half the player Langford was...These young DL's are trying harder...But what if Fairley is really talented? If Fish knows his D-Line like I think he does...We keep Fairley...But I have no reasoning behind it at this moment...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams43 is right on target here with whats going on currently with Snead/Fisher..........who have two very good veteran back up DE's Eugene Sims & William Hayes. These two can shift to the interior in passing situations or just perform the normal duties on running downs without much loss if any. These two can do it all. Hayes may be more productive inside than we realize.

Issue is the Rams must be grooming their replacements now due to both being UFA's when season ends. The very young Ethan Westbrooks is the only versatile DE/DT prospect that can fill the roles that Sims & Hayes do now. You dump Westbrooks now sure makes a big problem early next yr a bigger one. Thinking that this Org. can retain both Sims & Hayes with new bigger $$$ contracts.....:cautious: very wishful! The Org. will be forced to go younger @ a much lower cap hit material.....thus rookies like DT Louis Trinca-Pasat, DE Matt Longacre & DE Martin Ifedi will get a real long long hard look here.

The issue with NT's Micheal Brockers & Doug Worthington health just add the anxiety to this problem:eek:. NT/DT Nick Fairley slacker MIA makes it even worse:mad:.

Never know what will happen here & never underestimate Fisher's desires in the value of potential good young (low cost) DL talent into the mix of which the make up of the final 8 or 9 DL'ers on this 53 player roster.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Trinca-Passat is more of an Aaron Donald type and he showed it against the Colts. He looked very disruptive. I think he is way ahead of where Westbrooks was last season. I would keep him over Westbrooks if it came down to one or the other.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm kind of confused where the Fairley negativity is coming from... Has Fairley even played in preseason to show any concern on the field? I read he "has some soreness in his collarbone" so isn't playing/practicing. If he was playing and looking bad, I get it, but the fact he's invisible doesn't change his potential that we signed. Unless there's some news of serious injury, or purposefully dogging it in practice, or something, I'm just going to assume they are coddling him before they unleash him in the regular season.

There was a lot of hype and excitement when he signed thinking he could elevate the line to lofty greatness, so I'm not gonna totally abandon that excitement based on preseason. Until I read tangible info to the contrary I'm still dreaming he realizes his potential in the perfect situation here, and he and the Rams line dominates Seattle's poor unsettled OL.

I think any thoughts of him not being on the roster are kinda crazy. I think Worthington is gone due to injuries killing his camp, bummer I like the option of the big body. Longacre will be cut and hopefully gets on the practice squad. Infedi is cut, can easily go to PS. Westbrooks is #8, the only bubble guy I see is LTP, his future depends on if Rams keep 8 or 9 DL.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Many are assuming the Rams will keep 9 DL again this year and they may still swing it but keeping that many DL is a bit of a luxury in today's NFL. It is almost a certainty that they carry 3 QB's this year where they have usually only carried two so another position group will have to lose a spot. As deep in talent as the Rams are at the DL it also makes the most sense that the DL is one position group that might have to lose a spot to maintain roster integrity elsewhere.

I would love for the Rams to be able to conserve/retain many of the young DL bubble players they have assembled but the numbers game of basic roster construction dictates some difficult cuts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Many are assuming the Rams will keep 9 DL again this year and they may still swing it but keeping that many DL is a bit of a luxury in today's NFL. It is almost a certainty that they carry 3 QB's this year where they have usually only carried two so another position group will have to lose a spot. As deep in talent as the Rams are at the DL it also makes the most sense that the DL is one position group that might have to lose a spot to maintain roster integrity elsewhere.

I would love for the Rams to be able to conserve/retain many of the young DL bubble players they have assembled but the numbers game of basic roster construction dictates some difficult cuts.
Add in the fact that SSLB'er Ayers will be on the master roster, where he has shown in the past that he can play & start @ DE in passing situations. So keeping more than 4 pure DE's is not close to being a need currently just an issue next yr. A big plus for DT/DE Westbrook to win the 4th DT spot.

I would not be surprised to see only 8 DL'ers when the regular season opens. With the Rams trying/attempting to sign Trinca Pasat, Longacre & Ifedi to the PS. Hoping that 2 of the 3 might remain for the best part of the season to help out in 2016.

Last edited: