Rams dodged a Bullet

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In his 1st 3 years under Lovie, in 41 games played, he had 9.5 sacks, 2 FF's, 2 ints, and 251 tackles. Not bad, and he had a knack of making a timely hit or big play. I always thought he was a big reason why the D improved in 2001.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
He was out of the league two years after the Rams let him walk. If they had cut him after two years he would have been out of the NFL in 4 years.

That's pretty awful for a first rounder.

Here are some of his stats for his time with the Rams.......from Profootballreference.

71 games/5 seasons
3 INT's
3 FF's
15 sacks
22 passes defensed
1 TD

That's some pedestrian stuff IMO.

You can't judge NFL talent by traditional stats, especially when it comes to defensive backs. Champ Bailey didn't rack up a lot of counting stats for much of his career. It's certainly not because he was a pedestrian corner.

How about average rush yards when running Archuleta's direction? That has more to do with his role as an in-the-box safety than those stats above.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams let him go, the Redskins signed him to a huge contract then cut him after a year then Lovie signed him in Chicago and cut him after a year.

Not much else to say right?

tbux

Rookie
I think (pure speculation) that the choice was between GR and Watkins. I think they made the choice of GR over Matthews already because GR was a better run blocker and more physically gifted and the fact we needed him to play OG while they groom him when Long leaves. I think if we were a pass first team- Matthews may have been the guy. JMO I think Matthews will be a good LT in time- great pedigree and talent- just off to a slow start because of injury. I wanted Watkins BADLY- but with Quick emerging and with GR looking like he has lately- Im happy with our pick (and was after the draft) wasn't what I wanted, but understood the pick for sure.

Donald was a steal- he is the next Sapp- he just is. Living in Tampa I saw Sapp when he first arrived and the similarities are striking.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The Rams let him go, the Redskins signed him to a huge contract then cut him after a year then Lovie signed him in Chicago and cut him after a year.

Not much else to say right?

He was a one-dimensional player, but injuries had a lot to do with the abrupt end to his career.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I meant that it only showed up for one year the rest of the time it was nothing special

In 2003 we were at or near the top of the league in getting turnovers, we ended up getting a sh!tload that year. That was something special.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I will just add this, he was a better player at this point of his career than McDonald currently is. His speed and quickness made an impact on the Rams perimeter run defense and it also showed up in his blitzing. He simply made his presence felt.

Big Willie

Starter
Had the Rams selected Matthews I would have been happy. It appears to me that Matthews is going through some injury issues and rookie growing pains. I believe he will work out just fine. GRob, on the other hand, has a chance to be special. The Rams need special players, they have so few. Sometimes to get potentially special players, you have to roll the dice and overdraft or understand that it may take a few years for those players to develop. I don't think the Rams "dodged a bullet". They employed a strategy of identifying prospects with high ceilings and are looking at players as a short and long term solution rather than an acceptable short term fix.