Rams dodged a Bullet

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
By not drafting Jake Mathews, I know G-Rob hasn't been impressive, but he's looking up. Mathews had bad reviews in camp, played bad in the preseason and has been battling nagging injuries.
G-Rob looks promising now that he is on the field. We also got the best defensive player in the draft. Great building blocks!!
Any one remember the draft we had 3 first round picks and I think the only consistent starter we got was Archleta. Yikes.
The only reports I heard out of Falcons camp was the Matthews looked great. He even started off well but then got injured. So yeah, if you want to assume that Matthews is horrible because he's playing injured, go ahead.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah I'm not buying the OPs stance on this they might both turn out to be great players might both be average.

Right now Grob has been ok playing a couple of games at G and Matthews has been playing LOT on a sprained ankle. I'm going to reserve my evaluation on them until they have been in the league for a while. One third of the way through their rookie year is no time to be putting a label on anyone.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Matthews is a bad pick as of yet. But I do think Snead and Fish are going to look like geniuses for taking GRob after a few years go by.

What is really impressive is that they ignored the bloodlines. Fish had every reason to push for Matthews' kid. He had every reason to take Watkins since he could have still addressed OL later like he usually does. But he made what I think is the right call.

There are so many big guys that go first round as OL that cannot come near GRob's level of strength and power. Some of them are even massive lift type workout warriors too but it rarely translates to the kind of dominance you see from big Greg. He is an actual rare talent. So it's nice that he's finally getting on the field and fans are starting to see why he was taken.

I can't imagine what this OL would look like had they not taken him. So glad he was the pick right now it's not funny.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Arch was a playmaker, he caused many fumbles, and a few defensive TDs. He was anything but a bust. We won games because of him more than once.

Are you being serious or did you just forget to use blue font because that dude was a bust and I can't think of a single game we won because of himand I don't know about a few defensive touchdowns that he scoredor many fumbles I need to see that

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Jake Matthews will be fine in the long run. Right now he's a rookie playing the hardest position on the OL on a bad team and with a bad wheel on him.

I'm happy with GRob and the choice we made, but I'm not going to disparage Matthews, I think over the long run he'll be solid if not spectacular. Right now he just has about everything working against him.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Are you being serious or did you just forget to use blue font because that dude was a bust and I can't think of a single game we won because of himand I don't know about a few defensive touchdowns that he scoredor many fumbles I need to see that

If he was such a huge bust, why did the skins give him the largest contract ever for a safety? Sure it's them, but still, he made big plays, and laid some big hits and caused turnovers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If he was such a huge bust, why did the skins give him the largest contract ever for a safety? Sure it's them, but still, he made big plays, and laid some big hits and caused turnovers.

because the Redskins are idiots and I just looked it up he caused five humbles in his entire career over 100 games

He was horrible and the Redskins cut him one year after signing him and after another year he was out of the NFL

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
because the Redskins are idiots and I just looked it up he caused five humbles in his entire career over 100 games

He was horrible and the Redskins cut him one year after signing him and after another year he was out of the NFL

He was out of the NFL because his back went bad from all the hard hits he gave. Before that he was good. Not great, but good. A 5 year starter is anything but a bust.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Arch was disappointing after the injuries started piling up, but he wasn't a bust. Look at the numbers. I remember him making alot of plays when Lovie's D was rolling.
He got involved in that specialized training crap that IMO triggered some of his problems staying on the field and playing well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Arch was disappointing after the injuries started piling up, but he wasn't a bust. Look at the numbers. I remember him making alot of plays when Lovie's D was rolling.
He got involved in that specialized training crap that IMO triggered some of his problems staying on the field and playing well.

lovies D was only here for one year and he didn't make very many plays

His problem with injuries and staying on the field wereperformance enhancers in my opinion

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
lovies D was only here for one year and he didn't make very many plays

His problem with injuries and staying on the field wereperformance enhancers in my opinion

Lovie's D was here for the 2001, 2002, and 2003 seasons.

RamWoodie

Legend
By not drafting Jake Mathews, I know G-Rob hasn't been impressive, but he's looking up. Mathews had bad reviews in camp, played bad in the preseason and has been battling nagging injuries.
G-Rob looks promising now that he is on the field. We also got the best defensive player in the draft. Great building blocks!!
Any one remember the draft we had 3 first round picks and I think the only consistent starter we got was Archleta. Yikes.
Let's take a step back on this. You have two rooks, and we're not midway through the season. Be fair with both guys...and look at them after 3 years.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

I don't recommend using the Redskins financial habits as a measuring stick for player talent. They spent a ton of money on a lot of bad players.

They've been a cellar dweller for years.

As far as Archuleta goes, he was far more of a bust for the Redskins than he was here. He was an OK box safety for the scheme. I wouldn't go as far as calling him a bust as a late 1st round pick, but he was somewhat disappointing.

fearsomefour

Legend
Gosh, I wish that you hadn't mentioned Archuleta, I just finished dinner...He was advertised as a big thumper and proved to be such a liability in coverage that he wore out his welcome pretty quick...Turned out to be a over-hyped workout warrior...The 'Skins got sucked in and gave him a BIG contract for no apparent reason...They got zero return on that investment...Coaches and scouts sometimes fall in love with a particular strong suit and don't pay attention to the overall package...Same with Canidate...Martz fell in love with his speed...Again, wasted pick...
My favorite Martz adventure was Eric Crouch. The "draft the best athlete we can....we will figure out a way to use him" is not a good approach.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Apparently, the Rams rated the tackles in the draft G-Rob #1 and Zach Martin #2. This front office can scout a bit.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't recommend using the Redskins financial habits as a measuring stick for player talent. They spent a ton of money on a lot of bad players.

They've been a cellar dweller for years.

As far as Archuleta goes, he was far more of a bust for the Redskins than he was here. He was an OK box safety for the scheme. I wouldn't go as far as calling him a bust as a late 1st round pick, but he was somewhat disappointing.

He was out of the league two years after the Rams let him walk. If they had cut him after two years he would have been out of the NFL in 4 years.

That's pretty awful for a first rounder.

Here are some of his stats for his time with the Rams.......from Profootballreference.

71 games/5 seasons
3 INT's
3 FF's
15 sacks
22 passes defensed
1 TD

That's some pedestrian stuff IMO.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Arch was a playmaker, he caused many fumbles, and a few defensive TDs. He was anything but a bust. We won games because of him more than once.

Agree, Arch gets a bad rap....he was great in his role and what hurt him was when Lovie left, i dont think Marmie knew how to use him and cover up his weaknesses and then he started getting concussions, which seemed to take away his agressivness and he appeared to slow down.