Rams deep at running back, even without Tre Mason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/30302/rams-deep-at-rb-even-without-tre-mason

IRVINE, Calif. -- Nearly four weeks into training camp, the Los Angeles Rams' most impressive department is their backfield. Perhaps that was predictable, given the presence of star running back Todd Gurley. But it's the personnel beyond Gurley that makes the collective group so formidable, which is surprising when you consider the absentee.

In the wake of Tre Mason's bizarre disappearance, Benny Cunningham and Malcolm Brown have stepped up. The two have combined to rush for 195 yards on 28 carries through the first two preseason games, comeback victories against the Dallas Cowboys and Kansas City Chiefs. That's nearly 7 yards per carry. The NFL leader in that department last year, Thomas Rawls of the Seattle Seahawks, averaged 5.6.

"It’s a good feeling to see the work everybody’s put in kind of pay off," Cunningham said. "We want to just continue to compete and try to contribute to the offense."

Aaron Green, all of whom joined the Rams as undrafted free agents, are the ones taking advantage.

Green amassed 64 yards and caught the winning touchdown in Week 1. He sat out Week 2, but has since returned to practice and will probably play in Week 3. Cunningham rushed four times for 38 yards in Week 1 and four times for 23 yards in Week 2. And Brown has led the Rams in rushing each of the first two games, going 66 yards on eight carries in Week 1 and 68 yards on 12 carries in Week 2.

Brown also caught the winning touchdown on Saturday, reaching across his body to haul in a 10-yard pass from rookie quarterback Jared Goff.

"From last year to this year is a complete difference in my head," said Brown, who played in only one game as a rookie in 2015. "Confidence was really my biggest thing. I had to trust in myself, I had to trust in the offensive line, I had to trust in what the coaches were telling me. Confidence can go a long way.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't understand why some people are knocking the Value of RB's and saying they shouldn't be Drafted until later rounds!!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
NFL running backs not only expendable, they’ve become dime a dozen. Memo to Snisher....Wasting premium picks is not an option i.e. Isaiah Pead/Tre Mason.

Tough to say. There are quite a few great backs coming up in the draft this year like Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, or even Christian McCaffery that probably deserve to be drafted high.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Depends on your coaching staff's ability to evaluate RBs. Fisher has an eye for finding good halfbacks at late-rounds/UDFA. Hopefully Gurley and co will allow us to make RBs the lowest on our priority list.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
BPA. The Rams had Gurley rated the best player in last year's draft. Elite talent trumps conventional wisdom regarding positional value or need.