Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Although a cleaned up Matt Patricia sure would be intriguing.
images
View attachment 18374
I would take him with or without the Beard! Then again, IF you shave the Beard off he might be like "Samson" in the Samson and Delila Story!;):LOL: He could lose all his Strength!:rolllaugh:

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets-Make-a-Deal.jpg

You have 4 doors to choose from, choose wisely, if you don't like your first choice trade it in for another door but be careful you never know who you might end up with ;)
(Slow day at work, I got my inspiration from @Zero )
I'll take the Door on the left please.

sm.jpg
jm.jpg
mp.jpg
ks.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The key word here is "plans"
... that does not box him in even if he really cared what he says in regards to being truthfull or not.

Would be nice to have Payton , but doesn't seem worth the comp.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
View attachment 18390

You have 4 doors to choose from, choose wisely, if you don't like your first choice trade it in for another door but be careful you never know who you might end up with ;)

At first I got McDaniels and thought I would roll the dice. Traded him in for Shanahan. I'm happy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/2/14144910/tracker-nfl-head-coaching-2017-hires-interviews-search

Just the Rams' section:

Los Angeles Rams
Jan. 3: Panthers assistant head coach Steve Wilks will be the team’s first interview of the cycle. Wilks has been with the Panthers since 2012 and worked in Chicago and San Diego with Ron Rivera prior to that.

Jan. 2: The Rams are requesting permission to speak to Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

Jan. 2: Rams have formally requested permission to interview Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Shanahan will meet with the Rams on Friday or Saturday, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

Jan. 2: Rams have requested interviews with Bills interim head coach Anthony Lynn and Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Jan. 2: Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay is scheduled to interview with the Rams on Thursday, according to Albert Breer of Monday Morning Quarterback.

Jan. 2: Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels will interview with the Rams during Wild Card weekend, as well as the Jaguars and 49ers, according to Peter Schrager of Fox Sports.

Jan. 2: The Rams have requested an interview with Jaguars interim head coach Doug Marrone, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Jan. 1: Rumors have swirled about a trade to send Asshole Face to Los Angeles, and the New Orleans Times-Picayune’s Larry Holder reports the Rams are expected to formally request the right to talk to Payton sometime this week.

Jan. 1: Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin is expected to interview with the Rams, as well as the Jaguars and Bills, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Dec. 12: The Rams fired Jeff Fisher after a 4-9 start to the 2016 season. In five years with the coach, the Rams were 31-45-1 and never finished better than third in the NFC West.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
View attachment 18390

Without Looking,;):D I pick Door #3!!:yay:" I Win!!" I do want to preserve our Defensive Team Identity!!(y)

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I don't know if they're desperate, but your point is valid. If they want to move him, there is motivation on both sides.

Suggesting the Rams trade Donald for him is laughable. It doesn't take much to be an "expert" these days, apparently.

just say no to Donald but how about t a. most think we gave him to big a contract .if that trade would work we get payton and save t a cap money. that being said I want the rocket scientist instead of payton.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
just say no to Donald but how about t a. most think we gave him to big a contract .if that trade would work we get payton and save t a cap money. that being said I want the rocket scientist instead of payton.
If we could make a trade. Give the Saints Saffold & eat part of his contract.

That would be laughable.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hell no. He brings the beard or he stays away.

I agree completely, the beard MUST be a condition of employment.

In fact, Rams brass should also think about forcing him to wear a black eye patch over one eye ... with skull and crossbones on it, of course.

(y)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I agree completely, the beard MUST be a condition of employment.

The guy on the left is a fan and looks just like Patricia. He too would have to come to Los Angeles, albeit donning different paraphernalia.
Screen_Shot_2016_12_04_at_2.12.48_PM.png

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...in-coaching-interviews-focus-on-new-direction

Rams begin coaching interviews, focus on new direction
  • by Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

The Rams also spent Monday requesting permission to speak with current NFL coaches. That included Kyle Shanahan (Falcons offensive coordinator), Josh McDaniels (Patriots offensive coordinator), Matt Patricia (Patriots defensive coordinator), Sean McVay (Redskins offensive coordinator), Harold Goodwin (Cardinals offensive coordinator), Anthony Lynn (Bills interim coach), Doug Marrone (Jaguars interim coach) and Steve Wilks (Panthers assistant head coach), according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Another potential candidate is current head coach Asshole Face, who would only be available if the New Orleans Saints are open to a trade.

The Rams will interview coaches from teams that are not in the playoffs from Tuesday to Friday, then speak with candidates from teams who have a first-round bye on Saturday and Sunday. Later this month, they'll interview coaches from other playoff teams, a list that will probably include the likes of Jim Bob Cooter (Lions offensive coordinator), Vance Joseph (Dolphins defensive coordinator) and Todd Haley (Steelers offensive coordinator).

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18399254/the-strengths-weaknesses-open-nfl-head-coaching-job-2016

What every coachless NFL team offers and needs
Bill Barnwell/ESPN Staff Writer

Los Angeles Rams

Strength: front four. It was tempting to list Johnny Hekker as the team's biggest strength, given that the Rams lapped the field on punting and punt coverage this year. It's still fair to list Los Angeles' defensive line as its best weapon, but even that has faded with time. Aaron Donald is arguably the most disruptive defender in the league when J.J. Watt is injured, but he's about to get incredibly expensive.

Injuries and double-teams have limited Robert Quinn to 19.5 sacks over three seasons after his 19-sack campaign in 2013. Nobody on the vaunted Los Angeles line besides Donald produced more than five sacks this season. And this is the strength of the team!

Weakness: the entire offense. The Rams' offense was like the reverse of the Broncos' defense. It was 32nd in passing DVOA, rushing DVOA and overall offensive DVOA. The Rams averaged 14 points per game in a league in which teams averaged 22.8, the fifth-highest rate in NFL history. Using standardized score, the Rams had the 16th-worst offense since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger and the worst since the Jimmy Clausen-led Panthers of 2010.

Those Panthers drafted Cam Newton the following year, but Los Angeles' first-round pick (No. 5 overall) will be in Tennessee's hands after the Rams traded up to pick Jared Goff. Goff's half-season in the lineup was distressingly bad, highlighted by an unreal sack rate of 11.3 percent.

Using the adjusted net yards per attempt stat and adjusting it for era (ANY/A+), Goff posted the worst season since the merger for a passer with 200 attempts or more. It's too early to dismiss Goff, but the Rams need to throw what few resources they have at giving him help.

Coaching emphasis: offensive line. In a season in which several teams have turned around their fortunes behind dominant offensive lines, the Rams should focus on rebuilding theirs to give both Goff and struggling running back Todd Gurley a chance.

This has been an issue for the better part of 15 years, having seen both expensive free agents (Jason Brown, Scott Wells) and first-round picks (Alex Barron, Jason Smith, Greg Robinson) fail to develop into even competent players.

An emphasis on offensive line play could lead the Rams to former Raiders head coach Tom Cable, although his work with Seattle's offensive line hasn't exactly received glowing praise over the past couple of seasons.

Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak has done a great job with Pittsburgh's unit and was a respectable 22-26 as the head coach of a flawed team in Tennessee, albeit while struggling to improve its offensive line.

If the Jaguars do let go of Marrone, he could be in play. The best offensive line coach in the league is likely Washington's Bill Callahan, who may profile more as an offensive coordinator than a head coach at this point in his career.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The one thing that really appeals me about Matt Patrica ... well .. there are a couple things. 1) the guy is extremely ...EXTREMELY smart. He has a degree in physics geared towards rocket propulsion. Yes .. a "rocket Scientist" literally. That tells me the guy can figure out just about anything he needs to. He will learn from mistakes. He will explore all avenues to a solution. Another thing is the fact he has been under Belicheat for so long. He has quietly observed and watched how the "master" gets it done.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
At this point I'm less concerned about the Head Coach and more dialed into who the coordinator hires might be.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18399254/the-strengths-weaknesses-open-nfl-head-coaching-job-2016

What every coachless NFL team offers and needs
Bill Barnwell/ESPN Staff Writer

Los Angeles Rams

Strength: front four. It was tempting to list Johnny Hekker as the team's biggest strength, given that the Rams lapped the field on punting and punt coverage this year. It's still fair to list Los Angeles' defensive line as its best weapon, but even that has faded with time. Aaron Donald is arguably the most disruptive defender in the league when J.J. Watt is injured, but he's about to get incredibly expensive.

Injuries and double-teams have limited Robert Quinn to 19.5 sacks over three seasons after his 19-sack campaign in 2013. Nobody on the vaunted Los Angeles line besides Donald produced more than five sacks this season. And this is the strength of the team!

Weakness: the entire offense. The Rams' offense was like the reverse of the Broncos' defense. It was 32nd in passing DVOA, rushing DVOA and overall offensive DVOA. The Rams averaged 14 points per game in a league in which teams averaged 22.8, the fifth-highest rate in NFL history. Using standardized score, the Rams had the 16th-worst offense since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger and the worst since the Jimmy Clausen-led Panthers of 2010.

Those Panthers drafted Cam Newton the following year, but Los Angeles' first-round pick (No. 5 overall) will be in Tennessee's hands after the Rams traded up to pick Jared Goff. Goff's half-season in the lineup was distressingly bad, highlighted by an unreal sack rate of 11.3 percent.

Using the adjusted net yards per attempt stat and adjusting it for era (ANY/A+), Goff posted the worst season since the merger for a passer with 200 attempts or more. It's too early to dismiss Goff, but the Rams need to throw what few resources they have at giving him help.

Coaching emphasis: offensive line. In a season in which several teams have turned around their fortunes behind dominant offensive lines, the Rams should focus on rebuilding theirs to give both Goff and struggling running back Todd Gurley a chance.

This has been an issue for the better part of 15 years, having seen both expensive free agents (Jason Brown, Scott Wells) and first-round picks (Alex Barron, Jason Smith, Greg Robinson) fail to develop into even competent players.

An emphasis on offensive line play could lead the Rams to former Raiders head coach Tom Cable, although his work with Seattle's offensive line hasn't exactly received glowing praise over the past couple of seasons.

Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak has done a great job with Pittsburgh's unit and was a respectable 22-26 as the head coach of a flawed team in Tennessee, albeit while struggling to improve its offensive line.

If the Jaguars do let go of Marrone, he could be in play. The best offensive line coach in the league is likely Washington's Bill Callahan, who may profile more as an offensive coordinator than a head coach at this point in his career.

OK, where do I start? This whole "emphasis" thing is getting a bit silly. Offensive coach/ defensive coach blah blah. How about we get a coach who can manage an entire team? How bout we get a coach who knows there are 3 major parts to the game and that he should hire coordinators to come in and implement their respective part of the team. A HC knows what he wants, he hires guys who know their part and that match his style. Lets not hire another HC who only knows 1 or 2 parts of the game and hire one who can manage 3 guys: An OC, a DC and a Special teams coach.

Rant over

OK, one more thing: Josh McDaniels?? Are you people serious?? He's a spoiled little child and has no business managing anything more than an offense.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Hows about the Rams have a chat with Wade Phillips.

Would make the D elite for sure. If he can bring in a good OC like MM that would make an interesting combo

Wade is a solid coach. Worth an interview.