Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Rams probably will not be interviewing Kyle Shanahan

Alden Gonzalez ‏@Alden_Gonzalez 6m6 minutes ago

Source: Rams probably will not be interviewing Kyle Shanahan. They're zeroing in on Sean McVay, though nothing is finalized yet.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
So Shanny goes from apparent consensus number one candidate to not even interviewing with the Rams.

He was my choice early on but @Mackeyser's comments about the teaching style of Shanny vs McVay are interesting and would rightly sway the decision makers if correct.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
NFL rules can really handicap the coaching search

but.........

I have a feeling in one way or another , the Rams had some kind of contact with Shanahan , and got his intentions

If Shanahan was really interested , I'm guessing they Rams would have waited ,

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Zeroing in must mean Negotiating the Contract ... I'll set the over/under at $6 million per year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
At this level, rarely would you think a first time HC would dicker over the amount of compensation. Moreover, Kroenke isn't one to underpay his coaches. He pays for quality. Pretty sure if Asshole Face were a FA HC, the Rams woulda jumped at paying him $9M per. So, I'd be shocked if the Rams were trying to lowball him. Now, us fans might think along those lines because we're so conditioned to that old way of thinking (/shudder...those Frontiere days still linger like a bad fart), but I don't believe compensation would hinder any hire for a moment.

MORE importantly, the negotiations (and that doesn't mean that are contentious... sometimes, they BOTH have to simply find out the answer before they both can sign legally binding contracts...) may entail things like...

1) Length of contract. The Rams may want a shorter contract. McVay may want a longer contract, so ironing that out may be a point, though I doubt it. I can't imagine they'd NOT settle on Four Years. Three is too short and Five is too long for a first time HC.

2) Locking down staff. It's one thing to suggest staff. Even if the Rams LOVE his suggestions, two HCs have already been hired. They have to ensure they're available and willing to join the staff and at what general compensation. It's not like the entire staff is a package deal, because we've seen key guys back our or had last minute issues, but you can bet as thorough as Demoff is being, he's gonna make sure his first choices for OC, DC and the top assistants are available to sign ASAP.

3) Amount of control. Honestly, I don't think McVay will want too much control over personnel, but he's going to want at least to KNOW and to have some say. Very few coaches are like Arians who kinda likes hardly any say at all.

Beyond that, there may be some other issues (I've never been a part of these kinds of negotiations, so I'm sure there's probably something I'm missing, but I can't imagine any deal breakers)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Five years thirty two million is my guess.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
NFL rules can really handicap the coaching search

but.........

I have a feeling in one way or another , the Rams had some kind of contact with Shanahan , and got his intentions

If Shanahan was really interested , I'm guessing they Rams would have waited ,

That's my guess as well. Shanny may have had his heart set on the Denver job and wanted to keep the Rams job open for leverage. Once the Denver job closed, that leverage was gone.

Of course, we have to wait and see if he ends up in San Fran ... hope not. Still think the 9ers should hire Fisher.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I can't imagine someone like Wade Philips would be on board with Sean McVay if he were a football version of Stuart Smalley.

roflbot.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/sean-mcvay-takes-over-the-rams/

Sean McVay takes over the Rams
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2017

mcvay.jpg
Getty Images

There’s nothing like another team moving to town to get the Rams to hire a coach.

One day after giving Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay a second interview, the Rams will be making him the youngest head coach in NFL history. The Rams have announced that the 30-year-old McVay will be the next coach of the team.

The Rams were supposedly going to interview multiple candidates twice. They were supposedly going to interview Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel at least once. But with the Chargers coming to town and looking for a coach and possibly deciding to make a run at McVay (and in turn driving up his price significantly), the Rams needed to move, and move quickly.

And now the Rams can use a youthful face and voice to market the team to a city that will be choosing between the Rams and Chargers. And the Chargers, who already are one year behind the Rams in the market, will be playing catch up in an effort to make a splash.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to know why the Rams didn't wait to interview Kyle.
Because they felt they had their guy in McVay and we see everybody pass over Shanahan and likely for many reasons but there are a lot of negative talk about the Young Shanny.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Young Shanny gets a job this year he'll be back in Atl in 2017.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Really happy about this hire. Also I'm impressed that they didn't wait and just went out and got the guy they wanted, it'll make getting the best staff that much easier.