Rams claim QB Case Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDynasty

UDFA
Love this pickup. He can scramble and then burn teams deep. Keenum isn't afraid to run the ball if its there either. His mobility is very good. At 26 with some game experience, he might be more than just a this year player for the Rams. Plays with some fire and emotion, and will actually have a defense on THIS team.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...ers-wrong-again-and-leaving-texans-questions/

Sports
Keenum Finds New Team
Case Keenum quickly snatched up by new team, proving his doubters wrong again — and leaving Texans questions
By Chris Baldwin
9.1.14 | 4:41 pm

Case Keenum has been quickly quickly picked up a new team, proving his doubters wrong again. Keenum goes to the St. Louis Rams with a real chance to start at some point. Photo By Michelle Watson/CultureMapSnap
That didn't take long.

One day after getting released by the Houston Texans in favor of Bill Belichick reject Ryan Mallett, Case Keenum's found a new NFL team. The quarterback-needy St. Louis Rams picked up the former University of Houston record breaker off waivers on Monday.

And just like that, the Keenum doubters have been proven wrong again.

In reality, there was little question that a passer who showed plenty of potential in his first half season of starting would be snatched up in a league so desperate for quality quarterbacks. Still, many of the Houston media outlets that inexplicably hated on Keenum during his run with the Texans predicted he'd struggle to find a new NFL home. The Houston Chronicle went as far as suggesting his NFL career could be over, parroting the kind of nonsense 610 AM radio host Nick Wright regularly spewed.

With a fierce defensive front and explosive playmakers, St. Louis is a real opportunity for the right QB.

But it's not even close to the end for Keenum.

Instead Keenum is joining a Rams team that could give him a chance to start for a real contender at some point this season. With St. Louis' franchise quarterback hope Sam Bradford injured again — and lost for the season — Rams coach Jeff Fisher is looking for possible quarterback solutions.

The Rams will open the season with unremarkable veteran Shaun Hill as their starter, but Hill is hardly locked in.

With a fearsome defensive front seven and some explosive offensive playmakers like Tavon Austin, St. Louis presents a real opportunity for the right quarterback. Getting to play for Jeff Fisher — one of the most respected and open-minded coaches in the NFL — could be another boon for Keenum.

Fisher is unlikely to fixate on Keenum's lack of traditional quarterback height the way new Texans coach Bill O'Brien seemingly did. O'Brien never gave Keenum a chance to compete for the starting quarterback job —or even a single opportunity to play with the first team during the preseason.

Now Keenum gets a fresh start. As new beginnings go, it sure looks like a touchdown.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
On a 3rd string backup at this point? Seriously?

decree_luke.jpeg

"Psst. We're not picking up Freeman."

Slappy967

Starter
Seriously Josh Freeman is never the answer unless the question is "Name this former Tampa Bay starter that is such a cancer no team in the NFL wants him"?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Time to make the case for Case

1. He's a gamer almost Kellen Clemens part deux (who the Rams also claimed off waivers from Houston) in that respect, however, throws a better deep ball, but seems to have similar ability in avoiding the rush. jrry is correct, has issues picking up the blitz.

2. A cerebral quarterback that should not struggle picking up Schottenheimer's system whereas Terrell Pryor would have because as some have pointed out at the very minimum Keenum can actually spell cat, if spot him the C and the A.

3. He's still young has started several games in the NFL, won't cost a draft choice even an conditional one at that and at less than half a million, will not hurt the Rams from a cap perspective.

4. He'll make a nice back-up next year for Brett Hundley, Kevin Hogan or Connor Cook.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Points well taken. This still seems like an acquisition that is doomed to fail (Keenum) while there is an obvious need for a game experienced QB behind Hill. Seeing that the guy (Hill) is 34 and hasn't really played since 2010. With all his "faults" Freeman still is a better player than Keenum. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery and some home cooking. He's from the Mo. area (KC?) maybe he's changed? Most athletes, no matter how effed-up they become can usually change when their career reaches a precipice point. It's time Snisher try and gamble again. What do they have to lose?

Credibility.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

Nice highlights. Saw a decent amount of bad throws that guys made great adjustments on, but also a good number of really nice throws.

Doesn't look like he's throwing bullets out there - he's no Sam in the arm strength department - but what I LOVED about that was how much of his highlight reel success came from really selling play-action.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Because they haven't made a move on him yet?
Are you referring to Barrett Jones? They don't have to make a move on him. He is due back on or around Oct 1st. and if you are suggesting they use the IR- designated for return on him, I don't see them wasting it on him

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Let me help.

He throws a ugly ass ball

p.s. Hopefully he lights it up... think he has more potential than Austin Davis anyways.

lol on 7th page of Kase Keenum thread... we getting to the 24 pages on the Texans site!

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
ARE yo referring to Barrett Jones? They don't have to make a move on him. He is due back on or around Oct 1st. and if you are suggesting they use the IR- designated for return on him, I don't see them wasting it on him
So Jones is on the 53? I missed that. Makes me happy - y'all know how much of a mancrush I retain on him.

paceram

Pro Bowler
ARE yo referring to Barrett Jones? They don't have to make a move on him. He is due back on or around Oct 1st. and if you are suggesting they use the IR- designated for return on him, I don't see them wasting it on him

Coach - I still have hopes that Jones will end up being a very valuable part of the Rams OL in the near future! Can I assume (I know - Bad Word!) that the Rams (Snead & Fisher) must have high hopes/plans for him as well or they would have released him by now?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach - I still have hopes that Jones will end up being a very valuable part of the Rams OL in the near future! Can I assume (I know - Bad Word!) that the Rams (Snead & Fisher) must have high hopes/plans for him as well or they would have released him by now?
I would guess that's a fair assumption, although I don't share your hopes.

Last edited:

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I realize the video is a highlight real but it appears Case has promise. I love his passion on the field. I hope he becomes the next KW13.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question: Could he read a blitz at U of Houston?

Yea, to an extent. But he was also playing in a very different system against much less complex defensive schemes.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Not too shabby. The electric mind of me thought Pryor but then reality set in Keenum it is. Texans sure have a very odd log jam with Fitzpatrick, Savage and Mallett that's for damn sure.