Rams claim QB Case Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They did. He couldn't read a blitz to save his life in Houston. Hopefully, we can teach him.

Just to elaborate, I did watch some of Keenum last year and I like the pick-up. The guy is a good choice for a developmental backup. He throws an accurate ball for the most part and looked solid for a UDFA last year. His arm is mediocre in terms of strength and his mobility is decent but he is the type of guy you'd call a gamer and seems to have a good understanding of timing and touch.

As I said, the major issue last year with him is that he could not read blitzes at the NFL level. Could not diagnose them and it really showed as the season went on. Hopefully our coaches and Shaun Hill can help him improve in that regard. Really wish we could have him work with Kurt Warner. That was always Kurt's greatest strength.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I like moving Cunningham to IR for this. Didn't like him on the roster and this way they can still keep him for now and develop him because they obviously see something in him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Just to elaborate, I did watch some of Keenum last year and I like the pick-up. The guy is a good choice for a developmental backup. He throws an accurate ball for the most part and looked solid for a UDFA last year. His arm is mediocre in terms of strength and his mobility is decent but he is the type of guy you'd call a gamer and seems to have a good understanding of timing and touch.

As I said, the major issue last year with him is that he could not read blitzes at the NFL level. Could not diagnose them and it really showed as the season went on. Hopefully our coaches and Shaun Hill can help him improve in that regard. Really wish we could have him work with Kurt Warner. That was always Kurt's greatest strength.
Question: Could he read a blitz at U of Houston?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What's the rule on IR eligible to return? They have to decide on one guy for that designation soon, right? Will it be someone already on IR, or specifically someone NOT already on IR?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
From another board:
Keenum has a little bit of play making ability on the run but you put him in the pocket and he has two glaring, damning deficiencies...he can't feel the pass rush coming and he can't read a defense. He's the prototypical spread QB that never really learned how to play the position correctly in college.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What's the rule on IR eligible to return? They have to decide on one guy for that designation soon, right? Will it be someone already on IR, or specifically someone NOT already on IR?
They have to make the designation at the time they place someone on IR. And they aren't eligible to return for at least 8 weeks from being placed on IR.

• "That designated player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on the IR list for at least six weeks from the date he was placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the active list if has been on the IR list for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve."

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
This is a brilliant pick up by Snead and Fisher. Unless I missed it no one saw this coming. I was scared !#@%less the Rams might trade for Pryor or Sanchez and that would have been devastating. They get Keenum off waivers so they don't loose any players or draft picks and get a good young QB with mega potential and who has already shown he can play well and probably should never have been cut. I am stoked!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm not really a fan, and I'm not all that enthused about reports of his shoddy work ethic and his problems with ball security. You don't think there's a problem with someone who can't beat out Curtis Painter? Clearly GMs and coaches talk to each other, and I'm sure the input extends to trainers and assistants as well. Something has happened to that dude, and it ain't good.

Freeman also comes in late to every meeting, is the first one out the door, doesn't watch any extra film than he has to, just a lazy guy when it comes to work. When you also consider the fact that he has tons of issues with mechanics, accuracy, learning playbooks, and he's also rumored to have been a frequent user of crack cocaine and alcohol, goes out to nightclubs all the time, etc. He's just not worth the trouble. He's not even a good QB, but his laziness and lifestyle doesn't help his case at all.

Ask yourself why then teams like Oakland, Houston, Buffalo, the Jets, Cleveland, Tennessee, as well as us aren't giving him a call. There's a reason for it.
Points well taken. This still seems like an acquisition that is doomed to fail (Keenum) while there is an obvious need for a game experienced QB behind Hill. Seeing that the guy (Hill) is 34 and hasn't really played since 2010. With all his "faults" Freeman still is a better player than Keenum. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery and some home cooking. He's from the Mo. area (KC?) maybe he's changed? Most athletes, no matter how effed-up they become can usually change when their career reaches a precipice point. It's time Snisher try and gamble again. What do they have to lose?

RamBill

Legend
Keenum a solid choice for patient Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11190/keenum-a-solid-choice-for-patient-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- It took all of about an hour for the rumors and speculation to run rampant after St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford's season-ending knee injury became official on Aug. 24.

Outside of Rams Park, names like Mark Sanchez, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Mallett, even Tim Tebow were tossed around as possible quarterback additions for the Rams. But coach Jeff Fisher was adamant from the beginning that his team wouldn't jump into some short-sighted solution. He backed veteran Shaun Hill as the starter and preached patience in the search for more depth.

"It makes no sense to jump and react right now and try to fill the hole, whatever it costs," Fisher said then. "We’re going to take our time and evaluate this. There’s going to be some quarterbacks that are getting released and there may or may not be some quarterbacks that have trade value. We just don’t know. It’s way too soon."

Fisher made those comments a little more than a week ago but proved true to his word Monday afternoon when the Rams claimed quarterback Case Keenum off waivers from the Houston Texans.

In Keenum, the Rams are getting a third-year player with some actual game experience, something current backup Austin Davis lacks. The Rams placed tight end Justice Cunningham on injured reserve with an ankle injury to make room for Keenum. Having Davis allows the Rams to have a backup who knows coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense and should also allow Keenum to take his time getting acclimated in St. Louis.

Keenum started eight games for the Texans in 2013, posting 1,760 yards, nine touchdowns and six interceptions while completing 54.2 percent of his passes. He actually ascended to the starting spot after the Rams soundly beat Houston 38-13 in week 6.

Keenum shouldn't be viewed as any sort of long-term answer for the Rams in Bradford's absence. That will have to be addressed in the offseason but picking him up looks to be a solid if unspectacular move in the interim.

If nothing else, the Rams did well to find a quarterback who has some game experience without having to give up anything in return. Amongst the many ideas for quarterbacks that some clamored for were fantasy football offers of draft picks up to and including a second round choice. But none of the players being discussed offered any sort of proven upgrade to Hill and would have cost the Rams valuable draft picks.

Those are the same draft picks the Rams will eventually need to select their quarterback of the future and, if they aren't positioned to get such a player, need to put in a package to move up to get said quarterback in the next NFL draft.

With Keenum, the Rams did the prudent thing by finding a signal caller who has started a half season's worth of NFL games but costs them nothing more than a simple roster move.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach - Can you give us your thoughts on Keenum? Career backup or does he have some potential to be a quality starting NFL QB? Do you think he was a good signing for the Rams?
I like the claim. He is similar to Austin Davis in style, but much more consistent, and has better overall tools.

KEE690598.png

Case Keenum #7 QB

Height
: 6-1 Weight: 205 Age: 26
Born: 2/17/1988 Brownwood , TX
College: Houston
Experience: 2nd season

G: 8 GS: 8 Comp: 137 ATT: 253 PCT: 54.2 Yards: 1,760 Avg: 7.0 TD: 9 INT: 6 Sack: 19 Sack Yards: 201 RTG: 78.2 Rush:14 YDS: 72

Overview
Keenum has been one of the most highly productive quarterbacks in college football history, setting the record for pass yardage in a career. His height might limit him as he moves to the next level. It's obvious that Keenum is an accurate and prolific passer working from inside the pocket. How that production translates to the NFL is the big question.

Analysis
Strengths
Keenum is a good, mechanical thrower who makes quick decisions within the scheme. He understands how to read defenses and pick his spots in zones. He is an accurate thrower who puts good touch on his throws to lead his receivers. He is good at extending the play and working outside the pocket.
Weaknesses
Keenum is an undersized prospect, which hurts his value. Like Russell Wilson, he will need to show he can throw effectively from the pocket. He also could be considered the product of an effective, high-octane collegiate spread offense.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Points well taken. This still seems like an acquisition that is doomed to fail (Keenum) while there is an obvious need for a game experienced QB behind Hill. Seeing that the guy (Hill) is 34 and hasn't really played since 2010. With all his "faults" Freeman still is a better player than Keenum. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery and some home cooking. He's from the Mo. area (KC?) maybe he's changed? Most athletes, no matter how effed-up they become can usually change when their career reaches a precipice point. It's time Snisher try and gamble again. What do they have to lose?

I feel like somebody would have gambled on him by now if it was worth it. Didn't the Giants cut him after 2 weeks earlier this year?

This isn't to say Keenum is the answer, just that Freeman isn't a gamble worth taking (IMO of course which isn't worth much lol)

A55VA6

Legend
I hope Keenum shines for you guys and Bill Obrien has to eat crow. I love my Texans but hated the way qb situation was played out.
I thought Keenum was pretty decent last year for you guys from what I saw of him. I definitely like the pick up.

RamBill

Legend
Updated: Rams claim QB Keenum off waivers from Houston
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_28e56a10-82df-5a9b-bf64-6b27cda23606.html

The Rams have claimed quarterback Case Keenum off waivers from the Houston Texans.

Keenum, a second-year player from the University of Houston, become odd man out after the Texans traded with New England for Ryan Mallett.

Keenum, 26, started eight games last season for the Texans, completing 137 of 253 passes (54.2 percent) for 1,760 yards with nine touchdowns and six interceptions. His passer rating was 78.2.

At the University of Houston, Keenum set NCAA career records for passing yards, touchdowns, and completions.

But undersized at 6-1, 205, he went undrafted, signing with the Texans in 2012 and spending the year on the practice squad.

About an hour after learning they had been awarded Keenum, the Rams placed tight end Justice Cunningham on the injured reserve list. Cunningham suffered a high ankle sprain in the preseason finale against Miami, and was expected to miss at least a month.

The Rams were heavy at tight ends with five on the initial cut to 53 Saturday.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Their jobs.