Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 4/21/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Who else would show up here day after day, year after year, and argue about a team that hasn't had a winning record since 2003?
Since 1975, I have waited and they delivered in 1999-2000....so, we may be on a 25 year elliptical orbit, and will be due in 2025...And I'll be just as happy...However, the 70's, 80's, and 90's were nothing like this...

I wanna believe @CoachO ....I actually did see an improved player in Washington last year...Barnes may be better than ever...Jones...oh boy...maybe him too...but @Elmgrovegnome makes real points too...Show me...I want some hot shot Rookies...and not Scherff...That Iowa coach (Frentz?) has been known to suck all the talent out of their linemen, and they are as good as they'll ever be...Flowers & Cann...with a Hundley in between...that's the way to go...but I'll hate missing on Kevin White, Bud Dupree, and Vic Beasely....Hell, I like Gurley too...

iced

I wouldn't say he's "by far our best 3rd down back." Off of what sample size. 3 preseasons and a decent start to 2013? Nah. I'll wait for Pead to prove me wrong before I buy into him even making the team, let alone becoming a contributor.

1. You make the argument that he's our best 3rd down back. Debatable. I think Benny is our best pass blocking RB and offers ample ability in the passing game. Watts contributed on a few 3rd down conversions as well last year and has a similar skill set to Pead at about half the cost ($510k).[/quote[

Not in my mind - there other guys have issues with hands, running routes out the backfield, or issues with Pass Pro. Pead has better hands than Benny and is a bit better in Pass Pro. Pead does all 3 of these things well,the others do not. And I'm not that high on watts as you are

2. You mentioned his ST contributions. Isn't that what we resigned Chase Reynolds for? Watts wasn't too shabby by the end of the year either. Not to mention that Benny was a top 5 KR.

If players and skill levels were so interchangeable, don't you think we'd have a better o-line by now? Benny was good as a KR.

Pead was a damn good gunner - one of the top ones toward the end of the season IIRC.... getting rid of a player just cause sounds a bit emotional to me - especially when there's other debatable bait to cut, like Stacy. Not a 3rd down back, no ST Value, 4th on the depth chart... kinda same situation as givens

Bottom line is Pead has proved time and time again that he's nothing special. I'm not giving him a roster spot over an undrafted rookie, etc. with upside when everything Pead offers we already get from other players.

And I wouldn't get rid of a player that has proven commodity for an unproven one.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

I think you're the first Rams fan I've ever heard call Pead a "proven commodity." I'm not saying we should cut Pead, I just think it's what is likely to happen. And unlike Pead, Stacy has actually made significant contributions to the team in his career. And I'd be hard pressed to say that Zac is 4 on the depth chart. He's 3rd at worst.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See, this is what I don't get. To me a fan is a fanatic for their team. They love the team and follow them no matter what. Hope springs eternal for that kind of fan each year when training camp opens. There is no toll.

The other kind of fan only gets excited and shows up when their team wins consistently. They're referred to as "fair weather" fans.

I've been doing the Rams forum thing for many years. The people here at ROD, and I assume those at other Rams forums, are fanatics. Who else would show up here day after day, year after year, and argue about a team that hasn't had a winning record since 2003?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7L_3onytfI

I hear ya...

I guess what I'm saying is that - regardless of being a fan (which I have been for close to 50 years now) - losing (that much) can take it's toll on you...

I still love them... I'll re-up for The Sunday Ticket for the 17th year in a row this fall... I still go see them when they're in town... I'm gonna try like hell to see them at Lambeau this year... I'm here most every day talking Rams (good and bad)... I've participated in Rams forums for over 15 years now.

But, at least for me, this prolonged non-winning season streak has tempered by fanaticism. I'd be a liar if I didn't say I'm more skeptical than I was before this bad streak.
As a general rule, I'd say that's human nature. I dunno...

Kudos to those fans that can remain so steadfast in their belief that "this is the year".

I love this team... like I said... for close to 50 years now... but, I'm at the stage of requiring some consistent proof that they can become what we all want - a champion... or at least get above .500 (God forbid the playoffs :)).

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess what I'm saying is that - regardless of being a fan (which I have been for close to 50 years now) - losing (that much) can take it's toll on you...

I've participated in Rams forums for over 15 years now.

I'm right there with you and the other old-timers. Wow, how time flies when you're having fun. :)

My first sighting of the horns was as a boy living in San Diego and seeing the Rams on TV. In 'The Godfather' Michael is smitten at first sight by a young woman, and his bodyguards remark that he was hit by the thunderbolt. That's what that moment was like for me. Win or lose I will be a Rams fanatic to the end. Those whose interest comes and goes depending on the win/loss column can never understand this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0iXfa2unYY

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

And neither Person nor Joseph is here anymore. I'm with you in wondering why Joseph wasn't shut down, but I leave room for not knowing all the coaches know. Hard to believe Joseph was the best option, but maybe he was...

Offseason isn't over and I'm glad we're not filling our roster with JAGs that won't allow us to compete.

iced

I think you're the first Rams fan I've ever heard call Pead a "proven commodity." I'm not saying we should cut Pead, I just think it's what is likely to happen. And unlike Pead, Stacy has actually made significant contributions to the team in his career. And I'd be hard pressed to say that Zac is 4 on the depth chart. He's 3rd at worst.

compared to Watts when it comes to contributing to this team? Yes, in that sense he's a proven asset to this team, even if right now he's just a 3rd down back and a stud ST Gunner.

You don't let versatile players go - that's why I'll take Lance kendricks all day long over Jared Cook.

I don't think Pead is good as gone - I see a lot more players on the bubble, particularly ones like Givens and Stacy who are on the bench.

MrMotes

Starter
If the Rams don't finish above .500, I think I'd put my money out there that Jeff Fisher is gone and Thomas remains.

I would think that too, but Jeff Fisher has an untouchable quality about him:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...es-five-head-coaches-with-continued-longevity

The untouchables: Five head coaches with longevity

By Conor Orr

Marvin Lewis signed a one-year contract extension on Wednesday, guaranteeing him a Bengals paycheck through the 2016 season and removing his status as a lame-duck head coach. He's been in Orange and Black since 2003 and has yet to win a playoff game. That being said, he's going nowhere and the Bengals are absolutely right to keep him around. He headlines a list of coaches who haven't won the big game in a while -- or at all -- but will be staying put for the foreseeable future.

• For the purpose of this exercise, we'll call them the untouchables, but we mean no sarcasm. These coaches deserve to stay despite the constant groaning from their fan bases.

Here's our list and reasons why:

1. Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals

News of his extension on Wednesday was followed by an outpouring of sadness. How can a coach that has won zero playoff games in 12 years have earned more time? The answer is simple: The franchise had been to the playoffs just seven times before Marvin Lewis arrived. They've been to the postseason six times in the last 12 seasons, including each of the past four.

The Bengals have turned the corner under Lewis and he was rewarded with a contract extension the first time around. They have a management structure that works with Lewis. They have a drafting philosophy that is moderately successful. Now, after four consecutive appearances in the postseason, they are supposed to abandon him? Make no mistake, another mega-deal might not be in his future, but don't be surprised if he signs a similar deal in 2016 even if Cincinnati doesn't get the playoff win. The time to strike in the AFC North is now with the Steelers and Ravens both needing a bit of a rebuilding. Do you chance this crucial window with a new face?

2. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants

Neither of his championship teams were particularly loaded with talent. The Giants never seem to re-sign their free agents to big deals and the ones who leave never end up making much noise. But Coughlin has always been skilled at bringing a unit together. Though it ended with a 7-9 record, his coaching job in 2013 -- bringing the team back from an 0-6 record to within an earshot of the playoffs -- tells you all you need to know about the head coach. Yes, the Giants have not made the playoffs since 2011, but the next time they do, it will be with Coughlin as head coach.

3. Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys

This is a bit of a cop out considering Garrett signed a $30 million contract extension and was one interesting call away from the NFC Championship Game. But after taking a deeper look, it's easy to see why Jerry Jones won't make a move anytime soon. Jones has always wanted to develop a head coach and Garrett was his man from the beginning. Since then, he's watched as Garrett expertly handled a very senior staff and delegated tasks in the right way. The result is a nasty offensive line and a defense that is a few pieces away from being the best in the division. A lot of this is thanks to Garrett's patience in a difficult situation and his maturity under pressure. Expect Jones to give him the benefit of the doubt for a good while.

4. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers:

The team has missed the playoffs just three times since he took over in 2007 but it's beginning to feel like a long time since the Steelers have won a playoff game (Jan. 23, 2011, to be exact). That will not translate to a coaching change anytime soon, nor would anyone expect that in Pittsburgh. The organization has set the NFL's model of consistency and Tomlin just turned 43.

5. Jeff Fisher, St. Louis Rams:

In 20 years as a head coach, Fisher has one Super Bowl appearance, and three division titles. He is 15 games over .500. These numbers consistently place him in the overrated category, but Fisher has some of the most pronounced longevity in the game. Part of this, of course, has to do with the markets he chooses. The other has to do with speculative seasons like he had last year. St. Louis nearly took out the Cowboys and beat theSeahawks. They crushed Washington and Oakland in back-to-back weeks, pitching a shutout in each game. The future looks bright, and no one is talking about another coach to see the Rams to the next level.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I guess I shouldn't have pinned it down to LEFT Guard. Wishful thinking I suppose on my part. But he definitely has graded out better at G, than T. Again, I have nothing more than speculation based on my take on how Boudreau and Fisher operate, to suggest that they are considering this as an option. As I said, its food for thought.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And neither Person nor Joseph is here anymore. I'm with you in wondering why Joseph wasn't shut down, but I leave room for not knowing all the coaches know. Hard to believe Joseph was the best option, but maybe he was...

Offseason isn't over and I'm glad we're not filling our roster with JAGs that won't allow us to compete.

Bam! freakin Catalina wine mixer!

Joseph was so bad, that even if Jones and Rhaney, Barnes too were injured, but next in line, then that tells me that the rest of the Rams OLine depth is total shit because Joseph was horrible. I know I isn't his position but couldn't Barnes have done a better job than Joseph at Guard? If Washington was not good enough to have been given a shot that speaks badly of him.

One of the ROD posters said it best, "The Rams would have been better off with an IPad with Mike Pounceys picture on it than they were with Joseph on the line."

The failure to prepare a backup plan over the last few at OLine has been bewildering. The idea that Joseph was the backup plan is scary. They don't only need three starters, they need more capable backups. Martz and Vermiel peiced together decent Olines effortlessly, using some rejects. Is it really so hard? Maybe as some suggest the problem is Bou?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@CoachO and @Elmgrovegnome I just wanted to say - nice back and forth. I really enjoyed reading that. The different takes were interesting and though you obviously don't agree, it never got into bad vibe territory - just strong opinions and stating your cases.

Thanks. It is easy to do with guys like CoachO who don't rely on insults to prove their point.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Since 1975, I have waited and they delivered in 1999-2000....so, we may be on a 25 year elliptical orbit, and will be due in 2025...And I'll be just as happy...However, the 70's, 80's, and 90's were nothing like this...

I wanna believe @CoachO ....I actually did see an improved player in Washington last year...Barnes may be better than ever...Jones...oh boy...maybe him too...but @Elmgrovegnome makes real points too...Show me...I want some hot shot Rookies...and not Scherff...That Iowa coach (Frentz?) has been known to suck all the talent out of their linemen, and they are as good as they'll ever be...Flowers & Cann...with a Hundley in between...that's the way to go...but I'll hate missing on Kevin White, Bud Dupree, and Vic Beasely....Hell, I like Gurley too...

I forgot about that knock on Iowa Olinemen. I recall reading that a few years ago and I think there is some truth to it. They are so well coached that their ceilings are not very high.

iced

For off the field reasons - he didn't completely pull his head out of his ass til i think the last 5 or 6 games

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Bam! freakin Catalina wine mixer!

Joseph was so bad, that even if Jones and Rhaney, Barnes too were injured, but next in line, then that tells me that the rest of the Rams OLine depth is total crap because Joseph was horrible. I know I isn't his position but couldn't Barnes have done a better job than Joseph at Guard? If Washington was not good enough to have been given a shot that speaks badly of him.

One of the ROD posters said it best, "The Rams would have been better off with an IPad with Mike Pounceys picture on it than they were with Joseph on the line."

The failure to prepare a backup plan over the last few at OLine has been bewildering. The idea that Joseph was the backup plan is scary. They don't only need three starters, they need more capable backups. Martz and Vermiel peiced together decent Olines effortlessly, using some rejects. Is it really so hard? Maybe as some suggest the problem is Bou?
I dont mean to sound like a broken record here, but you continue to completely dismiss that the "back up plan" was injured too. Barnes can and has played Guard. So has Barrett Jones. That they didn't use them, should only exaggerate the point that they just weren't available. Mike Person was the #10 man on the depth chart and he was pushed into duty due to all of the injuries.

Just run down the list of players who ended up on the injured list at one point or another: Scott Wells (lime disease, elbow injury); Barrett Jones (back surgery); Tim Barnes (pinched nerved, shoulder injury, bruised ribs); Demetrius Rhaney (knee injury - IR); Jake Long (ACL - IR) Rodger Saffold (shoulder injury); Mike Person (shoulder); Brandon Washington (missed 3 weeks in training camp).

You reference the Vermiel Offensive lines. You want to know what they had more than anything else? Continuity that comes from guys remaining healthy. I challenge you to name the backups on those GSOT teams. We all remember guys like Nutten, Gruttudaria, Tucker and later McCollum, because they stayed on the field. So to say this can compare to that just isn't fair.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Speaking of Mike Pouncey, he's the highest paid center in the NFL NOW. He re-upped with the Dolphins for 5 yrs/$50m

That's how spooked teams are about the C position... That knucklehead just got ten mill per...