Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 4/21/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts from the Q&A. To read about the draft, relocation, and stadium issues click the link below.

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_87?Page=0
Hardest/Worse regime you have ever covered from the top on down?

Easily.
---------------
I know your job as a reporter is to cover the team. Do you ever sit back and watch all the bad years and horrible ownership and really feel for the fans?

All the time, it seems, lately.
----------
Which teams was worse overall in St. Louis, the Cardinals or the Rams? We did get a super bowl with the Rams, although the Cardiac Cards were a lot of fun. Overall, though, we have had about many years of bad football and poor team ownership. Compare and contrast with baseball Cardinals.

Keep in mind, we're only talking about maybe three, four days of camp in California. And it's been something, I'm told, the Rams and Cowboys have been talking about for more than a year. But still, if you want to practice against somebody, it sure makes more sense to do it against the Bears, the Chiefs, the Titans, or the Colts. As for which was worse, Cardinals or Rams, in terms of St. Louis football, I haven't done the math with respect to won-lost records. But you did get two Super Bowls and one Lombardi Trophy with the Rams.
------------
Jim, I live in LA and if the Rams do have scrimmages against the Cowboys in Oxnard, would you be covering the Rams in Oxnard? If so, maybe we can throw down a beer or 2, on me of course.

I would think I'd be there.
-----------
Strange matter to me, that Philly signing of Tim Tebow. Wonder of your thoughts and how it relates to Sanchez, and more of interest, Sam Bradford.

Tebow would be a handy guy to have around if the league moves the extra point line up to the 1 1/2 yard-line (to encourage two-point conversions). When all is said and done, I think he'll be lucky to make the roster.
----------
People need to calm down over the Oxnard situation. Rams play at Oakland in WK 1-why not go out for a week and get out of the August heat then fly up to Oakland for the game?

Again, I think many Rams fans feel this is a case of Rams ownership just rubbing their faces in all this LA stuff. It sure seems to be a case of being tone deaf, PR-wise. Why not have joint practices with Tennessee when the team plays in Nashville?
----------
status of Barksdale or any other free agent offensive lineman?

Nothing new.
---------
Have Long and Well’s officially announced their retirements, or is it just Coach-speak to say, they’re still interested in potentially resigning them? (P.S. Any way Peade joins them?)

To my knowledge, neither Long nor Wells have announced their retirement. Again, I don't think they return to Rams for less money.
---------
A couple of weeks ago somebody asked a "where are they now question on Leonard Little"? Any update on what he's been up to?

He's living in Charlotte, N.C., don't know what he's doing in terms of work or business investments, etc.
---------
DO you see Cignetti using Kendricks more aggressively in the passing game this year? He might be the teams most under-rated pass catcher... while his running mate at TE might be their most over-rated.

Supposedly, the plan is to get Kendricks more involved.
----------
Over/Under on the Rams Defensive SACK total in 2015???

---------
Have they announced any throwback jersey games for this year yet?

Haven't heard. Not really high on my radar at this point.
-------
Is Fisher overrated?

This is a big year for him.
---------
EXPANSION 2017!!!!!

Under no circumstances should you hold your breath on that one.
---------
WHAT is going on with our O-line? Wiz just signed significantly under what I'm sure he was expected (prob 40% below expected salary), why aren't we moving to re-sign Joe B to fill that RT spot? We don't want to have 60% of new o-line or we're setting up offense for failure, regardless of scheme, QB, play-calling, etc.

At this point, most teams (and probably the Rams) are zeroed in on the draft. It may be that nothing happens on this until after the draft.
--------
For years, I've heard the knock on Barrett Jones is that he's not healthy or strong enough to compete. Can you say if he's finally come to OTAs healthy and strong enough?

He was notably stronger last year before his back surgery. We'll see how he gets through the offseason conditioning program and the OTAs this spring.
--------
Two days into the offseason program. what can you grade? Health and fitness? Command of the schemes and plays? Quality of execution? For anything that you can grade, what would your grade be?

Grade the players an A for attendance.
--------
How many QB's will the Rams carry this year, and who will they be in your opinion.

I'm gonna say 3 QBs: Foles, winner of Davis-Keenum training camp/preseason battle, and drafted QB.
-------
If the Rams draft a wide receiver, who from the current roster doesn't make the cut come August?

Now, the Rams could keep 6 wideouts. It's been done in the past. But if I'd have to pick one to go, without a day of OTAs or training camp to judge, I'd say Givens looks like the one in most jeopardy.
-------
Are negotiations with Barksdale dead until after the draft? Are the Rams considering going into the season with rookies as their starting RG and RT?

Looks that way. (re: negotiations w/Bark). As to starting rookie at RG and RT, keep in mind free-agent OG Justin Blalock is still out there.
---------
Jim, when the Rams moved to StL, their beat writer for the Sporting News was also a Jim Thomas. Just curious if he's still sports writing.

Yeah, funny. I think he worked for a paper in Riverside, Calif. As I recall, I think I may have gotten one of his checks before I took over those duties at TSN. Or was it vice versa? (20 years ago.) Anyway, I don't know if he's still working.
-------
How do you view the Rams LB

Solid group. Still could use some depth.
---------
I sense too much negativity about the team, the owner and the prior decisions. The team is on the right track. the team made fantastic, unorthodox moves 15 years ago, and got to the super bowl twice. The new management has had some success, and stabilized the team with quality and some risky moves. the rebuilding project is working.

Well, 11 straight non-winning seasons tends to wear you down.
--------
Where is the league on the Cheatriots “Inflate-gate”? The Saint’s get punished severely for behavior deemed detrimental to the game, but the Patriot’s actually do something against the rules and it fades away?

Pretty long investigation, isn't it?
--------
Are you satisfied with whoever plays Center?

I'm not saying that Barrett Jones or Tim Barnes couldn't play center. We just don't know, because neither has played much (although Barnes did get 4 starts in 2013).
----------
How is Brian Quick doing with his rehab and will he be ready for week 1?

Quick is expected to be ready for Week 1.
---------
schedule out tonight, right? how many monday, thursday, or sunday night games do you foresee for our rams?

I'm gonna guess the Rams get one Thursday and one Sunday night game. One home and one away.
----------
Any clue what Tim Barnes heard or didn't hear in KC that make him want to come back to STL?

Really don't.
----------
Was there a strategy behind not reworking Quinn's contract? Can't believe the front office would let the deadline slip by unless there was a plan.

Under Kevin Demoff, the Rams don't like to backload contracts, or push money into future years. They have kind of a pay-as-you-go philosophy.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Where is the league on the Cheatriots “Inflate-gate”? The Saint’s get punished severely for behavior deemed detrimental to the game, but the Patriot’s actually do something against the rules and it fades away?

Pretty long investigation, isn't it?

They were hoping you people would have forgotten about that by now. It is amazing that absolutely zip has resulted though. Way to get to the bottom of things and maintain integrity of the league, Roger!

I try not to think about those cheating bastards and their accomplices in the league but bringing it to my attention is like picking at a scab.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
""Hardest/Worse regime you have ever covered from the top on down?""
Easily.

You got to let it go son, just let it go

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Are you satisfied with whoever plays Center?

I'm not saying that Barrett Jones or Tim Barnes couldn't play center. We just don't know, because neither has played much (although Barnes did get 4 starts in 2013).

Neither could supplant Wells last season. I don't suspect that either has improved so much in this offseason that they are suddenly better than what Wells was last season. So that telsl you that if either of them are the starter at Center, or Center play will be worse this season.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Neither could supplant Wells last season. I don't suspect that either has improved so much in this offseason that they are suddenly better than what Wells was last season. So that telsl you that if either of them are the starter at Center, or Center play will be worse this season.

I read a few of Coacho's comments on this and apparently they were both hurt so that was the main reason niether could supplant Wells last year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I read a few of Coacho's comments on this and apparently they were both hurt so that was the main reason niether could supplant Wells last year.

Well, Barnes did play in four games and the Rams were willing to let him walk away in the offseason. Mot a ringing endorsement. My hope is that Rhaney develops but I cannot imagine that they know enough about his ability at this point to hand him the Center job.

Relying on Jones is a scary proposition, but maybe he is the guy and Barnes the backup.

jjab360

Legend
Easily.

He can't be serious lol, worse than Linehan? Worse than Spags? Get over yourself JT. At this point I kind of hope they stay in St. Louis just so he has to cover a team that refuses to give him any information and can't stand his guts.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
if the Rams do have scrimmages against the Cowboys in Oxnard, would you be covering the Rams in Oxnard? If so, maybe we can throw down a beer or 2, on me of course.
Weather JT reports from these scrimmages or not, ROD can expect a, " 1st ever!!" Full Report from me, as I live only 15 minutes away from were they take place!! Plan on it!!(y):D

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Neither could supplant Wells last season.

We know Wells was terrible, but neither you nor I know why he was still playing. My guess? Fisher is too stubborn to let some guys go.

case and point would be Pead.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He can't be serious lol, worse than Linehan? Worse than Spags? Get over yourself JT. At this point I kind of hope they stay in St. Louis just so he has to cover a team that refuses to give him any information and can't stand his guts.

Yeah.. he must have short term memory.. because I sure thought those guys were pretty damn $hitty.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We know Wells was terrible, but neither you nor I know why he was still playing. My guess? Fisher is too stubborn to let some guys go.

Well we can deduce. I don't think Fisher got to be where he is by allowing a player to play ahead of others just because he is stubborn. What is there to be stubborn about? That Wells is a vet and shouldn't be demoted out of respect? That is crazy talk. Ditto for Joseph. If he was playing them for any other reason than he believed that they were his best options, he shouldn't be coaching at any level. Wells and Joseph are grown men. They can take the news.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I thought he was referring to how bad they are to cover. Devanney practically advertised his whole plan. Linehan was too naïve to know how to play the misinformation game. Besides that nobody really cared what his plans were anyway.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Easily.

debbie-downer.jpg

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bundle of laughs old Jimmy boy isn't he? Should change his first name to John, be more apt.

iced

Pead has Value as 3rd down back, KR, Gunner. With Mason #1, Cunningham and Pead as 3rd down backs, bigger question would be Givens or Stacy - neither have ST value, limited in what they bring, and are lower on the depth chart at their positions

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Fuck you Jim...nah not really but I wanted some of the action too :(.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe we're getting close to the Bernie rule with Thomas... his weekly chats seem to cause a lot of angst among some Rams fans

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I guess Jones having back surgery in August must have slipped by you. He was rendered totally inactive for 10 weeks and was hardly close to being in game shape even when he was activated in late October.

Barnes being injured coming out of training camp (pinched nerve in his neck), followed by a shoulder injury and finally bruised ribs that forced him to miss 3 games in October/November got past you as well.

Just don't understand the thought process when totally ignoring how injuries actually impact a position. Neither one of them were physically able to be much more than a fill in (Jones in KC game). So to make a statement about how they couldn't "supplant Wells" is completely off base.

And Barnes was in constant communication with the Rams throughout the offseason. He made it known his first choice was to sign with the Rams. And they were interested in bringing him back. Just didn't want to have to tender him and be locked in to a $$$ amount.

He played in four games in 2013 (at center). Saw most of his action in 2014 in the "Jumbo" package until getting hurt. As well as Special Teams.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe we're getting close to the Bernie rule with Thomas... his weekly chats seem to cause a lot of angst among some Rams fans

Either that or I can avoid posting his snide comments as I do with the draft and stadium comments. JT doesn't bother me. I read his chats but only because there's not much else out there about our team.