Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 4/14/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Stop making sense... we have a campaign going on here!

I'm getting tired of defending a guy who has done a fine job of reporting the Rams for decades.

Disappointed.

I'm not sure, JT admits to feigning interest in the team he covers which is my Rams

He's not being professional, let alone interesting to read anymore

His act is getting tired

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think he is more upset about what he perceives as the HC lying to him. I don't think he was intentionally mislead, most think the Foles trade was fast developing. But I think JT either thinks outright or suspects Fisher made a fool of him intentionally. It's the only explanation why a reporter most have viewed for years as very professional would be this upset. I'm not as willing to judge as some as I wasn't there and HCs and reporters aren't exactly angels. So who knows.
His "disinterest" in the Rams organization can be traced back to the firing of his "source" Todd Hewitt. Without the now famous equipment manager to feed him scoops, Jim Thomas is no more "in the know" now, especially with Fisher, as many of the posters on this site.

He constantly speculates in these chats, and gives us his opinion as to what he thinks is going on. As the beat writer for the only newspaper in town, one would think he would be more willing to do whatever it takes to endear himself to the organization, while in fact, he has done quite the opposite. While it seems he may be a victim of his newspaper's overall philosophy to put a negative spin on most things Rams, he seems to fall in line.

Take the "Tavon poses with LA fans" non-story they ran with a year or so ago. Stories like that do nothing to gain the trust of the powers that be within the organization. And JT, made much more of it than needed to be. As for as his "reporting" on all things Rams...... He is very good and NOT writing things until they can be verified, so I give him credit for that. But it also proves my point, of him not being the one to break anything of substance. He is often playing catch up, "reporting" on things that have been out there for some time, and usually reported by the national media long before he gets his hands on it.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
You want optimism, right now in another corner of the fan base someone is demanding realism. He can't please everyone. The only thing I can say is if you don't like him, don't torture yourself and don't read him. That's why I rarely read Strauss. I have never liked his tone so I just quit reading him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His "disinterest" in the Rams organization can be traced back to the firing of his "source" Todd Hewitt. Without the now famous equipment manager to feed him scoops, Jim Thomas is no more "in the know" now, especially with Fisher, as many of the posters on this site.

He constantly speculates in these chats, and gives us his opinion as to what he thinks is going on. As the beat writer for the only newspaper in town, one would think he would be more willing to do whatever it takes to endear himself to the organization, while in fact, he has done quite the opposite. While it seems he may be a victim of his newspaper's overall philosophy to put a negative spin on most things Rams, he seems to fall in line.

Take the "Tavon poses with LA fans" non-story they ran with a year or so ago. Stories like that do nothing to gain the trust of the powers that be within the organization. And JT, made much more of it than needed to be. As for as his "reporting" on all things Rams...... He is very good and NOT writing things until they can be verified, so I give him credit for that. But it also proves my point, of him not being the one to break anything of substance. He is often playing catch up, "reporting" on things that have been out there for some time, and usually reported by the national media long before he gets his hands on it.

He's basically screwed. He has been such a whiny beeyatch and because of the Hewitt thing contacts in the org know not to talk to him too much, that JT probably cannot regain the organization's trust and get the sort of access that a beat reporter needs. The whole "Fisher lied to me because he didn't give me a scoop on a big trade that happened fast" thing means that Fisher just won't talk to him at all, I suspect. If no lower level people want to talk to him either because of Hewitt - well, it's time that JT move on from Rams' coverage, and let a fresh face handle it.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

QUOTE]

Proof of any of this?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Again, he has an editor. Who knows what he is being told to write or what stories to run.

As far as his tone change, I disagree that his tone went pessimistic after Hewitt. It became noticeable when talks of relocation became serious IMO. I remember reading plenty of stories and chats where he had good things to say and optimism for a season. I don't disagree that his reaction to the Foles trade is not good. I know you disagree and that's fine.

It just seems lately that anytime a reporter doesn't have 100% rosy things to say about the Rams this board takes it personally. Again, JMO.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, he has an editor. Who knows what he is being told to write or what stories to run.

As far as his tone change, I disagree that his tone went pessimistic after Hewitt. It became noticeable when talks of relocation became serious IMO. I remember reading plenty of stories and chats where he had good things to say and optimism for a season. I don't disagree that his reaction to the Foles trade is not good. I know you disagree and that's fine.

It just seems lately that anytime a reporter doesn't have 100% rosy things to say about the Rams this board takes it personally. Again, JMO.
I'm waiting on proof of the Thomas/Hewitt allegation.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm waiting on proof of the Thomas/Hewitt allegation.
not sure what sort of proof you want me to provide. It was well documented at the time it happened, going as far as many throwing a "show support for Todd Hewitt" get together at one of the local establishments. And anyone who was following the team at the time knows that Jim Thomas was one of the ring leaders. Jim Hanifan was part of it as well. Which, if you recall, was one of the reasons the previous regime was not real quick to have "Coach" Hanifan back at any of the team functions.

Yes, Mr. Thomas has an editor, and IMO, this is not about the stories he writes. When we writes his articles about what is going on with the team, they are presented with more balance. When he writes about the "what, where & who" stuff, he can be very good. It's when he ventures into the "why" that he tends to let his negativity sift thru the filter. Its about the tone he takes when given the opportunity. Try listening to him on his radio gigs, and the commentary. I have actually had the opportunity to talk with him in person on more than one occasion while at training camp, and he comes across as disinterested. Most of his opinions are no more "informed" than most who post on this site.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
not sure what sort of proof you want me to provide. It was well documented at the time it happened, going as far as many throwing a "show support for Todd Hewitt" get together at one of the local establishments. And anyone who was following the team at the time knows that Jim Thomas was one of the ring leaders. Jim Hanifan was part of it as well. Which, if you recall, was one of the reasons the previous regime was not real quick to have "Coach" Hanifan back at any of the team functions.

Yes, Mr. Thomas has an editor, and IMO, this is not about the stories he writes. When we writes his articles about what is going on with the team, they are presented with more balance. When he writes about the "what, where & who" stuff, he can be very good. It''s when he ventures into the "why" that he tends to let his negativity sift thru the filter. Its about the tone he takes when given the opportunity. Try listening to him on his radio gigs, and the commentary. I have actually had the opportunity to talk with him in person on more than one occasion while at training camp, and he comes across as disinterested. Most of his opinions are no more "informed" than most who post on this site.
Not living in STL, I guess what I'm asking for is the "well documented" proof.

I worry when someone writes stuff like this, because it grows legs and, the next thing you know, somehow it's become fact - when, of course, nothing was ever proven.

A loose form of character assasination.

Your entire post is opinion... your opinion of the man (..."he comes across as...", "try listening to him..."). Sounds more to me that you just don't like the guy... that's my opinion.

Opinions, as we know, are neither true or false... they're just opinions.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not living in STL, I guess what I'm asking for is the "well documented" proof.

I worry when someone writes stuff like this, because it grows legs and, the next thing you know, somehow it's become fact - when, of course, nothing was ever proven.

A loose form of character assasination.

Your entire post is opinion... your opinion of the man (..."he comes across").

Opinions, as we know, are neither true or false... they're just opinions.
if you say so. It is my opinion based on things that were common knowledge at the time, and it is shared by more than its fair share of people who do in fact live in STL. I'd suggest if you want that sort of documentation, you are more than welcome to look it up for yourself.

I don't feel the need nor have any interest in "proving" my opinion.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if you say so. It is my opinion based on things that were common knowledge at the time, and it is shared by more than its fair share of people who do in fact live in STL. I'd suggest if you want that sort of documentation, you are more than welcome to look it up for yourself.

I don't feel the need nor have any interest in "proving" my opinion.
Then, you might consider not stating your opinion as fact... just a thought.
Ya know, things like.. "His "disinterest" in the Rams organization can be traced back to the firing of his "source" Todd Hewitt".

Carry on with the campaign, I suppose.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Then, you might consider not stating your opinion as fact... just a thought.
Ya know, things like.. "His "disinterest" in the Rams organization can be traced back to the firing of his "source" Todd Hewitt".

Carry on with the campaign, I suppose.

There's no campaign...just an observation of the obvious. The man admits himself that he isn't interested in covering the Rams any longer. How or why isn't really important. He needs to just move on if he's really that apathetic about it. He's not doing fans, the PD, or himself any favors by just making the motions.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The man admits himself that he isn't interested in covering the Rams any longer.
How or why isn't really important.
He admitted he isn't interested in reporting on the Rams? Can you show me where he actually said that? Sounds crazy.

As far as why, well... I guess it doesn't matter... unless, you're trying to understand he may be out of a job soon. I wonder how any of us would perform under those circumstances.

I think I'm done with this now.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
He admitted he isn't interested in reporting on the Rams? Can you show me where he actually said that? Sounds crazy.

As far as why, well... I guess it doesn't matter... unless, you're trying to understand he may be out of a job soon. I wonder how any of us would perform under those circumstances.

Fan asks him when is he gonna get excited about the Rams again // He responded by saying when they start winning

The Rams season hasn't even started and we aren't coming off a winning season so he's basically telling us all he's not interested and won't be for some time

Well if that's the case he can leave

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

when did jt's mom start posting on this site?

don't worry mrs thomas, your son is a big boy. he can handle himself.

it's just that when he starts acting like a whiny bitch other people will notice and comment on it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

He worked for the PD long before becoming the Rams beat writer, so to say he "might be out of a job soon" is as bad as anything you accuse me of. May he have different job responsibilities? Quite likely. But as a "professional", one would expect him to act like one.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Bottom line jt had a rat in the locker room. Napoleon sniffed out the rat and fired him. Now jt not only didn't have a rat but nobody likes being spied on. So jt gets no special privileges from the Rams organization. You make your bed sleep in it. Don't act all butthurt cause you got caught. This was all well documented. Coach o nor anyone else made it up. Google is your friend. Google Todd Hewitt.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like I said earlier, I don't hate JT. I was recently banned from the Rams Forum for reasons that Mike Smith won't reveal to me, just so that you know that up front....I don't know anything about the rest of the paper which may be fine...I just have to say that I have no use for the Rams section. I despise Bernie M, and Joe Strauss seems like a baseball guy trying to pose as a Rams columnist....Gordo's opinion drives me crazy, which leaves JT..I will read him, even though it seems pessimistic mostly now.....I guess until (if) the Rams situation resolves in St Louis' favor, not much will change at the PD.

JMHO.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Fan asks him when is he gonna get excited about the Rams again // He responded by saying when they start winning

The Rams season hasn't even started and we aren't coming off a winning season so he's basically telling us all he's not interested and won't be for some time

Well if that's the case he can leave

Actually, I believe it's the team that shows no interest and is indeed trying to leave.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

when did jt's mom start posting on this site?

don't worry mrs thomas, your son is a big boy. he can handle himself.

it's just that when he starts acting like a whiny bitch other people will notice and comment on it.

One of the things I like about this forum is they don't tolerate personal attacks (even if they are thinly veiled).