Rams Chat With Jim Thomas: 3/31/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts from this chat. To read about the draft, relocation, and stadium issues click the link below. Most of the Q&A is about those issues.

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_84?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/31/15
Any rumblings about a late FA signing?

Last week at the owners meetings, Jeff Fisher said they could bring in a free agent or two this week. I'm unaware of anyone visiting this week.

The Rams still have enough salary cap space to add an offensive lineman in free agency.
---------
Any chance of getting an interview with Chip? He seemed to be fooled as well as us with Stan's "intentions" of keeping the Rams in STL.

I mentioned this on a chat a couple three weeks ago, but I spoke with Chip Rosenbloom on this a little more than a month ago, but Chip didn't want to go on the record and I will respect his wishes.
--------
I don't understand the crazy draft trade-up talks. Are the Rams really only a player away from the Super Bowl? It seems like the Rams need players at offensive line, qb, linebacker, and receiver.

As you state, they're more than a player away. But you realize a true franchise QB can make up for weaknesses in other areas. I just can't see the Rams even thinking about trading up unless Mariota falls to that sixth or seventh spot.
---------
First time in forever that I didn't care about free agency, don't care about the draft and this team owned by a mercenary who already has $5 billion but is thirsty for more

Actually he's worth more than $5 billion. But I wonder how many feel the same as you do?
--------
Will EJ Gaines start this year or be used as rotational depth?

I covered that to a degree in a story regarding simplifying the defense. Looks like he will compete for a job on the outside _ probably against Trumaine Johnson. www.stltoday.com
--------
Any chance of a major offensive philosophy change?

Nope.
--------
Did the NFL penalty to the Falcons surprise you? 2 years of fake crowd noise and only $350K and a 2016 5th rounder? Given that Kroeneke might have an empty barn of a stadium at home games this year, for $350K, pump up the volume.

Yeah, I thought both the Falcons and the Browns (text-gate) got off kind of light.
---------
Is Joe Barksdale back from his honeymoon? Any news on him re-signing?

All quiet. Don't know if he's back from honeymoon.

---------
What dollar amount do you see Barksdale getting in his next contract? What about Wisniewski and Blalock? Hard to beleive any of them would top out at over $4 million a year.

I think Blalock would be under $4 million a year for sure. I can see Barksdale and Wisniewski in that range.
--------
Any developments with wisniewski or blalock for OL

Have been told Blalock is in no hurry to sign. Not sure on Wisniewski.
---------
if eagles try to trade Bradford to Cleveland, can he just retire?

Sure.
----------
Why isn't Fisher worried about the O-Line as we have 3 openings?

He thinks they'll be filled when all is said and done.
---------
Why is Pead still on the Roster? trade bait?

What possibly do you think you could get for Pead?
---------
Jim, I, as a fan trust you. That said I don't trust anything from Rams park. It seems they spew misinformation to their fan base like we aren't to be trusted. Is this normal NFL protocol or a Ram-thing?

I guess there's a certain amount of misinformation put out elsewhere by many NFL clubs. But I know this: The Rams didn't use to be this way.
---------
In hindsight do you think the OL didn't care for the leadership of Bradford? Over the years I witnessed a few occasions where he would get knocked down and no one would help the guy up. Not even after missing blocks and allowing early pressure! He never seemed to have great chemistry with this group.

I think you're reading way too much into this. I think Bradford was pretty popular in the locker room.
----------
Does Pete C help or hurt the great NCAA coach to great NFL coach argument? I suspect he helps it, but that last offensive call in the Super Bowl still makes me shake my head.

Yeah, that last call was a blunder. But overall I think Pete Carroll helps the argument.
----------
Do you see any way Case Keenum might have a chance to earn the starting job in the pre-season, even if Foles and Davis and a drafted QB are healthy? I think he's a decent QB, and am wondering if he'd even get the chance to compete for the STARTING position.

Foles is the starter and will be the opening day starter.
---------
Why was the start of free agency so extremely active, yet now even though there are some good players left, there seems to be no action?

It happens that way every year. Early spending frenzy, then teams back off and start to zero in on the draft.
----------
What do you think about Fisher playing rookies to fill maybe the 2 out of 3 o-line holes?

I think we'll see at least one rookie filling out one of those holes as a starter.
---------
Is Fisher waiting for some O-Line FA prices to go down before signing them?

That's part of it.
---------
Does the Barnes signing affect any FA plans on the OL?

Maybe at center, but otherwise not.
----------
We are so close. This will be our year (cause it has to) all we have to upgrade is our coaching, QB, RB, WR, O-line, TE, CBs, and LBs. We probably only need 20-30 huge free agent signings. So close.

Sarcasm, right?
-----------
The mantra around NFL observers seems to be that Robinson “struggled” this year. To my eye (and I re-watched many games focusing only on Robinson) he did very well in almost every one-on-one pass blocking situation, even against elite rushers. The only problems I saw were rookie mistakes related to communication (e.g., double teaming when he should have been picking up a blitzer). What was your assessment of Robinson’s performance?

Don't know about any mantra, but I kinda saw what you saw. He got confused at times on who to pick up or who to pass off on stunts, loops, etc. Just the kind of things that he might be susceptible to as a rookie from a school that rarely passed the ball.
-----------
Jim, on the various Rams chatrooms a lot of fans are saying they've lost confidence in Fisher. How do you feel as of now?

Not really my job to have confidence or a lack of confidence in the head coach. But this obviously is a big year for him. Wonder if the owner feels like his coach is on the hot seat?
----------
What we hear now about simplifying the defense, are we to read into this that Fisher believes it is the reason why the defense got off to a slow start last year?

I think he feels that may be part of the reason.
---------
If we fill the Offensive line openings with sufficient starters and kept a healthy Foles, what would you expect our record to be this year?

I think the team should finish above .500 if that's the case.
-----------
Where do you see Barnes best fit ont he OL?

Center.
----------
To your knowledge, do any of the folks at One Rams Way read the chats here?

Yes. Kevin Demoff, for one, is a frequent reader.
-----------
What are the chances of STL hosting a prime time game this year?

We'll know soon enough. The schedule should come out in a couple of weeks.
---------
Who returns punts next year?

Tavon Austin.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
"We are so close. This will be our year (cause it has to) all we have to upgrade is our coaching, QB, RB, WR, O-line, TE, CBs, and LBs. We probably only need 20-30 huge free agent signings. So close."

"Who returns punts next year?"

"Why is Pead still on the Roster? trade bait?"

the stupidity sometimes...

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I guess there's a certain amount of misinformation put out elsewhere by many NFL clubs. But I know this: The Rams didn't use to be this way.
Sure, back in the days of Todd Hewitt, the proverbial "sources at Rams Park."

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Foles is the starter and will be the opening day starter.

I know it's a long shot, but JT is going to lose his shit if Foles is part of a deal to move up for a QB. That'll be two huge moves he was kept in the dark about.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In regards to the question of number of wins to expect this year... Last year's recipe for fail IMO:

1. Slow start on defense. That really killed this team early on regardless of Sam's injury and playing a backup.
2. Bradford injury and subsequent lack of options to replace him.
3. OL musical chairs from injuries.
4. Continued mediocre OC performance.

Moving forward I think the Rams can expect better things from the defense as it is right now from game one on. The QB injury they have gone with an option that doesn't have two consecutive years of the same issue which is an upgrade in and of itself. The Rams avoided signing old, injury-prone FA options this time around which means we will finally see them finish off the unit with the draft thank god, that is a great thing despite the gnashing of teeth on all our parts and I do not exempt myself from that. OC the jury is out, but they made a change they had to make and I have a good feeling that Cigs is ready to do the job and the improved passing game is going to do a better job of getting the ball into the playmakers' hands.

So from where I am sitting: IF they focus draft the OL this team is going to finally have all the pieces to play well and will get over the hump this season with double digit wins and a playoff appearance.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Did JT's mom send in this question?
Jim, I, as a fan trust you. That said I don't trust anything from Rams park. It seems they spew misinformation to their fan base like we aren't to be trusted. Is this normal NFL protocol or a Ram-thing?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Rams Chat with LumberTubs, 2nd April:

First time in forever that I didn't care about free agency, don't care about the draft and this team owned by a mercenary who already has $5 billion but is thirsty for more

Yet you've taken the time to post a question about the team you no longer care about. Well done.

LumberTubs, I, as a fan trust you. That said I don't trust anything from Rams park. It seems they spew misinformation to their fan base like we aren't to be trusted. Is this normal NFL protocol or a Ram-thing?

Just get on the phone to Jeff or Les. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you lots of insider information so you can go online and tell everyone about it and put a nice big fat spanner in the works of their latest attempt to sign a free agent to a team friendly deal. Get over it! If they're going to lie to the great Jim Thomas, they're going to lie to you.

Does Pete C help or hurt the great NCAA coach to great NFL coach argument? I suspect he helps it, but that last offensive call in the Super Bowl still makes me shake my head.

This again? FFS. Right listen to me. The call was fine. The receiver was open. Golden Balls Russell Wilson made a bad throw and the Pats cornerback (whose name everyone has already forgotten) made a good play. And anyway, why do you care about Pete Carroll? Are you a Seahags fan? Get the hell off my Q&A!

Why was the start of free agency so extremely active, yet now even though there are some good players left, there seems to be no action?

This happens every year. Please pay more attention.

LumberTubs, on the various Rams chatrooms a lot of fans are saying they've lost confidence in Fisher. How do you feel as of now?

There are Rams chatrooms (plural)? Surely there's only one chatroom!

Anyway, I've been a fan of this team for about 11 years and they've sucked the barnacles off a dead whale's c**k in all of that time. I'm just grateful we have a halfway competent coach and we'd be stupid to get rid of him now.

Where do you see Barnes best fit on the OL?

Hmmm good question. Seeing as he's a centre (sorry, center) I reckon his best fit is probably at guard (seriously are you a moron?)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
"We are so close. This will be our year (cause it has to) all we have to upgrade is our coaching, QB, RB, WR, O-line, TE, CBs, and LBs. We probably only need 20-30 huge free agent signings. So close."

"Who returns punts next year?"

"Why is Pead still on the Roster? trade bait?"

the stupidity sometimes...

Not stupidity you have to understand those fans feel we're obsessive and I'm actually impressed they knew Pead was still on the roster.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Not stupidity you have to understand those fans feel we're obsessive and I'm actually impressed they knew Pead was still on the roster.
I'm sorry I have to completely disagree. these ppl are taking time out of their day to send messages to jim thomas about their football team. you don't do that unless you actually follow the team. you don't have to be obsessive to know we aren't 3/4 of a roster and 20 FA's away from winning, to know that a nobody named Pead who's rarely seen the field has no trade value and how the hell is someone gonna ask who our punt returner is?? theres levels of fandom between weekend fans, well informed fans and obsessed fans. but then you have the hick sitting on the bleachers from Water Boy yelling that this guy hits like Joe Montana. those sound like that guy.

fearsomefour

Legend
How would Pete Carrol hurt the college coach to pro coach debate (is there a debate?)....I would think he sealed his argument when he did that thing....what was it?.....oh yeah, won a Superbowl.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

Yet you've taken the time to post a question about the team you no longer care about. Well done.

LumberTubs, I, as a fan trust you. That said I don't trust anything from Rams park. It seems they spew misinformation to their fan base like we aren't to be trusted. Is this normal NFL protocol or a Ram-thing?

Just get on the phone to Jeff or Les. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you lots of insider information so you can go online and tell everyone about it and put a nice big fat spanner in the works of their latest attempt to sign a free agent to a team friendly deal. Get over it! If they're going to lie to the great Jim Thomas, they're going to lie to you.

This again? FFS. Right listen to me. The call was fine. The receiver was open. Golden Balls Russell Wilson made a bad throw and the Pats cornerback (whose name everyone has already forgotten) made a good play. And anyway, why do you care about Pete Carroll? Are you a Seahags fan? Get the hell off my Q&A!

This happens every year. Please pay more attention.

LumberTubs, on the various Rams chatrooms a lot of fans are saying they've lost confidence in Fisher. How do you feel as of now?

There are Rams chatrooms (plural)? Surely there's only one chatroom!

Anyway, I've been a fan of this team for about 11 years and they've sucked the barnacles off a dead whale's c**k in all of that time. I'm just grateful we have a halfway competent coach and we'd be stupid to get rid of him now.

Hmmm good question. Seeing as he's a centre (sorry, center) I reckon his best fit is probably at guard (seriously are you a moron?)
Well played, Sir, well played!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always look forward to LumberTubs weekly chat.
:ROFLMAO:

Yes indeed. It should be a weekly segment where we send in our dumb questions to @LumberTubs and he replies with his acerbic style. I'll kick things off:

"Hey, LT - is it just me or does it look like Jeff Fisher has put on about 50 pounds? Fat coaches don't have much success in the NFL do they? Inquiring minds want to know."

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yes indeed. It should be a weekly segment where we send in our dumb questions to @LumberTubs and he replies with his acerbic style. I'll kick things off:

"Hey, LT - is it just me or does it look like Jeff Fisher has put on about 50 pounds? Fat coaches don't have much success in the NFL do they? Inquiring minds want to know."
I'm in.

LumberTubs, what are the chances of resigning Barksdale and moving him to center to compete with Barnes, Jones and Rahney?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Actually he's worth more than $5 billion. But I wonder how many feel the same as you do?
ZERO%:censored:

The schedule should come out in a couple of weeks.
I really can't wait to see this, But I guess I have to!!:LOL:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Jim's chats, silly questions and all...I am surprised Jim still seems hurt by some perceived slight or misinformation given to him...I wonder is it Stan, Demoff, or Jeff? He's seriously pissed....Does he know something about the move we don't? Still no major digging in Inglewood...My personal reading of 90-10 they stay in the Lou...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I like Jim's chats, silly questions and all...I am surprised Jim still seems hurt by some perceived slight or misinformation given to him...I wonder is it Stan, Demoff, or Jeff? He's seriously pissed....Does he know something about the move we don't? Still no major digging in Inglewood...My personal reading of 90-10 they stay in the Lou...

I like his chats too. I'm surprised as well that he is still taking his jabs. I get the sense he knows Stan wants to move and he don't like it. As a fellow ST Louisan I understand that, but he may be burning some bridges if he stays. Unless of course he's closing in on retirement or something job related we don't know about and he just don't give a shit enough to hold his tongue.

I'm also surprised people keep reading JT when it clearly upsets them. Why? It's a mystery to me.

Barnes can play guard. He's expected to compete for starting center due to lack of actual proven centers on the team, but he can provide depth at guard. If we don't sign or draft a guard this year it's not outside the realm of possibility that he could be in the mix at guard. He is sometimes listed as a C/G. Moron seems a bit strong.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm sorry I have to completely disagree. these ppl are taking time out of their day to send messages to jim thomas about their football team.

You also have to take into consideration that some of them could be very young and this is their first opportunity to communicate a question. Could be a ten year old or somebody like that, IMO, I understand those chats for what they are and sometimes it's just a bitch session.