Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/3/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
To read about relocation, stadium issues or the draft click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_80?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/3/15

What are your thoughts about the future of Steven Jackson in the NFL? Does he still have a chance to play for a contender?

It sure looks like he's at the end of line. I guess he could get one more chance. But the odds are against him.
----------
Any chance the Rams get a good Center and Guard in FA? Doesn't seem to me that we can afford any more "projects" on the O-Line.

The Rams' overall track record hasn't been good when it comes to high-priced free agent linemen, and that goes all the way back to Jacob Bell and Jason Brown. Myself, I'd like to see them sign one veteran free agent, a younger player (preferably entering second contract) that doesn't have an injury history - or not much of one anyway.

Right now, the Rams still need cap room, but I'm sure there will be more cap-related moves between now and the start of free agency.
--------
Have the OLine problems been personnel or coaching?

I think more personnel/injury related. Paul Boudreau is a highly-regarded line coach.
--------
When do we hear about the number of compensatory picks for the Rams?

At the NFL owners meetings in late March. (Those meetings are scheduled for March 22-25 in Phoenix.)
--------
Do they have to make a move on wells and J long by the 10th to avoid any cap costs? Do you think they let them go? We could do a lot with 11 mil in savings!

For Jake Long, $4 million of his base salary is guaranteed if he's still on the roster by the fifth day of the league year (March 14). So if the Rams are releasing him, they obviously must do so by then or lose $4 million in guaranteed money. Wells is due a roster bonus of $1 million if he's on the team on the third day of the league year (March 12).
---------
Wouldn't it be wise to cut j long and use the savings to sign Barksdale

That's one way to go.
--------
Hi Jim your take on Bradford 2015 Comeback Kid or another Rams bust.

It's all about staying healthy. If he stays healthy, I think he'll be fine.
--------
What do you think the Rams' priorities are with free agency?

I think it's similar to last year. Their top priorities are re-signing their own free agents, not just the likes of Kenny Britt, Joe Barksdale, Lance Kendricks, and Shaun Hill, but also players that will be free agents after the 2015 season (a fairly long list which will include the likes of Michael Brockers, William Hayes, Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, Eugene Sims, Brian Quick).

I don't think they'll be very active in signing outside free agents. Maybe one or two outsiders at moderate to above-average prices.
--------
Do you think the Rams would have any interest in Andrre Johnson? Prolly not as a trade option but maybe if the Texans released him.

Certainly not in a trade. Possibly as a free agent.
--------
Out of the top big name free agents who do you think rams make a run at

I'd like to see them make a run at a center or guard. Mike Iupati, Rodney Hudson, and Stefen Wisniewski come to mind.
-------
Do you expect Kendricks and McCloud to be Rams next season?

I assume you're talking 2015. I'd say yes to McLeod and no on Kendricks.
---------
Do you think that by not renegotiating his contract Bradford is demonstrating that he himself is not confident he will comeback from his injuries....He may be thinking I'd better take the money now while I can. Nothing in history makes me think this, but ??

It would be a tremendous leadership act to help the team by renegotiating even if came with strings attached. If I'm Brdaford I'd say I'll take a pay cut if you go out and sign both Iupapti and Weisnewski. Too much to ask ?

No. I like what you're saying. I think it would be a leadership act.

--------
Jim, have you heard anymore about contracts, ie Sam, J.Long, Wells, Kendricks, etc.

Bradford talks are status quo. Rams want to cut salary, Bradford agent insisting that they won't take a pay cut. Quiet on Kendricks, although I wouldn't be surprised if New England takes a run at him. (Josh McDaniels was Rams OC and a big proponent of drafting Kendricks back then.)

Jake Long and Scott Wells have either guarantee or roster bonus clauses kicking in in mid-March that will force Rams to make a decision - pro or con - soon. Rams trying hard to re-sign Britt. Hill could get contract offer soon from team. Indications are that Barksdale's looking for a big payday.
---------
if the Patriots cut Wilfolk do thing the Rams would be interested in a one year deal, if they think he can still play 15-20 snaps per game

Doubt it. At this stage, Wilfork probably will look to sign with a contender or retire.
--------
Barring something unexpected, Bradford will be the starting QB this coming season. How much rust will he have to knock off?

About 1 1/2 years worth.
--------
I'm flying in this fall w/some friends for a game, and was wondering which one you think would be the most interesting match-up of the non-divisional games? Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or Tampa Bay?

There will be lots of Bears and Steelers fans in the house when their respective teams are in town. May not be much of a home-team advantage. When it comes to Cleveland, you might see Johnny Manziel start. (But it could also be Josh McCown.) If I had to pick one, I'd say Chicago.
--------
When Steven Jackson eventually retires, will he be inducted into the Rams ring or honor? Or possibly retire his jersey? He is the best post-GSOT St. Louis Ram. I also still don't understand why Kurt Warner's jersey hasn't been retired. Doesn't make sense to me.

Don't think his number will be retired. Ring of honor certainly a possibility.
--------
Have you heard anything about the talks to renegotiate Bradford's contract?

Neither side budging at this point.
--------
How do you think the rams will replace langford in the rotation, FA or draft?

It could be either. But since it's a rotation guy, I don't see it being a high draft pick or an expensive FA.
--------
If the O-line issues are personnel-related, what is Snead doing to ensure we draft/sign better players?

I can't tell you anything specific here, but they obviously need to get more bang for their buck in free agency.
--------
So could you say the same for the rams wr group? Personnel vs. Coaching staff. I think the rams are terrible at developing offensive players, theres no way you can strike out so many times on recievers

To a large degree, I think the players at WR improved last season.
--------
Bold prediction time. Bradford stays healthy and Rams make the playoffs.

Bradford stays healthy and Rams are serious contenders to make playoffs.
--------
If after negotiating a reduction with Long, you could have Long or Barksdale at right tackle at the same cost, who would you want?

I think I'd go for youth and health, and take Barksdale.
---------
It's tough to think of too many FA's the Rams have signed in the past 10 years who have not been complete busts. There have been a few guys, look Cook and Langford, who were okay for a while, but not worth the money. Is this a league wide thing. that most FA's are overpaid and don't work out?

I think to a degree, it's a league-wide problem. Teams are doing a better job of keeping their top players these days in free agency. And when there is a name or two you like that reaches the open market, you invariably have to overpay for those guys.
--------
Do you think wells and or long stays?

I believe at least one will be gone.
---------
If the Rams lose Lance Kendricks, do you think they would have to get a TE in free agency or the draft, or would they be ok with Cook, Harkey, Bayer, etc? I like Kendricks but think we're in decent shape at TE. Thanks for the chats!

I don't think they'd be terrible with Cook, Harkey, and Bayer.
--------
Any rumblings of the Rams adding a MLB to challenge JL? He's been below average for waaaay too long now. Slow afoot and gets pushed back more times than not.

I don't know if it specifically relates to Laurinaitis, but I do think the rams want to upgrade the LB group.
---------
Jacksonville and Oakload have boatloads of cap $$$ they have to spend to meet the mandatory NFLPA minimum for the team. They are apt to overpay. Is it best to do whatever the Rams might try to do early in FA? Get in and get out before the prices go up?

The prices almost never go up. The high-priced talent usually goes very quickly in the feeding-frenzy period of free agency. Then as the shelves start to clear out, prices drop as you get to the second-tier, and third-tier players.
---------
Was Weinke just trying to boost Sam's spirits by comparing Luck to him or do you see it too?

I expected something positive from Weinke on Bradford _ or why take the job? I was surprised he came out so strong on Bradford. wasn't expecting that. Remember, he was talking about Bradford and Luck as prospects coming out, not talking into account what they've done as pros.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Do you think that by not renegotiating his contract Bradford is demonstrating that he himself is not confident he will comeback from his injuries....He may be thinking I'd better take the money now while I can. Nothing in history makes me think this, but ??

It would be a tremendous leadership act to help the team by renegotiating even if came with strings attached. If I'm Brdaford I'd say I'll take a pay cut if you go out and sign both Iupapti and Weisnewski. Too much to ask ?

I get where people are coming from with this mindset, BUT Bradford is still on his rookie contract and he's not an established veteran HOF QB like Tom Brady. The guy has no reason to reduce his pay or to restructure. I sure as hell wouldn't. This is a business and it's not his fault his knee blew out two seasons in a roll. He gets shit on for being a supposed bust even though he was the offensive rookie of the year. Take your money and do your thing Sam. Besides even with ACL surgeries by even the best doctors in the world his knee will never be the same. Let me break your leg and take some money from you.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Afro Ram. The man is already fabulously wealthy. I know it's a business but it's not like he's been playing for the minimum wage. He got the biggest rookie contract in NFL history. I do agree that it's not his fault he was injured and he shouldn't be penalized for that but he could volunteer to restructure and help out the team. If he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays for a different team this season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
@Afro Ram. The man is already fabulously wealthy. I know it's a business but it's not like he's been playing for the minimum wage. He got the biggest rookie contract in NFL history. I do agree that it's not his fault he was injured and he shouldn't be penalized for that but he could volunteer to restructure and help out the team. If he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays for a different team this season.
You could also look at it as, Bradford has taken two big hits from a team that gave him limited weapons, and protection. Big injuries that could potentially derail his whole career, are priceless. I see both sides, but he's taken a couple bullets for us, pay the man his salary, then let the market sort him out next year.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I wouldn't either. Love Bradford, but this "no pay cut" attitude, (which btw, I'm not convinced isn't coming from his agent), pisses me off.
OTOH, why would the Rams OR Bradford do anything till they both see what Snisher do about a QB in the draft?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup, there are definitely two sides to this situation. I'm curious to see what SB's worth on the open market will be. That will determine whether his agent was correct or the Rams were.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

Sorry, but no. He can't restructure because it almost definitely wouldn't be guaranteed money. Not with his injury history.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yup, there are definitely two sides to this situation. I'm curious to see what SB's worth on the open market will be. That will determine whether his agent was correct or the Rams were.
He'll be worth less in the open market, probably, even if he has a good season, but if he blows out his knee again, his career is done, so I think we owe him what we agreed to pay him in the first place. If we cut him, the market will sort him out, and we may get a discount, but it may also cause bad blood, and he may hang his helmet somewhere else. I wish every player would take a pay cut to help make the team better. But remember, Sam's issues are injury, and not performance related, IMO.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd love to believe Sam is gonna be healthy and lead them to good things this year. But I'm not optimistic. I believe in his ability, but not his health. I also understand there are no good options regarding the QB position. I have zero faith in guys like Sanchez or Hoyer. I have a feeling 2015 is not going to be an enjoyable year.

Thomas says they want to re-sign Hill, but he is better suited for short term relief, not half a season or more. Of they draft a guy in the mid rounds could they really count on him to carry the load in his first year? I gotta think next season is a bust and maybe there's a quarterback out there they could target in 2016. But who's the stop gap guy until then? Maybe a trade for Glennon or Foles and cross your fingers?

A healthy Bradford is the best option. But thats a big risk. Without a paycut, can they afford to sign players who can help him? If they don't improve that line I don't see Bradford putting up good numbers. They have to run block and pass protect, which was not good last season.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Don't forget how much mediocre QBs like Hoyer and McCowen are getting. Bradford will get more than people expect if he hits the open market.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I get where people are coming from with this mindset, BUT Bradford is still on his rookie contract and he's not an established veteran HOF QB like Tom Brady. The guy has no reason to reduce his pay or to restructure. I sure as hell wouldn't. This is a business and it's not his fault his knee blew out two seasons in a roll. He gets crap on for being a supposed bust even though he was the offensive rookie of the year. Take your money and do your thing Sam. Besides even with ACL surgeries by even the best doctors in the world his knee will never be the same. Let me break your leg and take some money from you.
You actually convinced me a little that Bradford may be might for not budging, but the big issue for me remains that he still won't take an incentives based contract restructure. Dude was guaranteed 50 million. Why not give us an incentives friendly deal since you've been paid for nothing for two years? Rams stuck by him through two acl tears. Show a little mutual interest in helping them out.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, but no. He can't restructure because it almost definitely wouldn't be guaranteed money. Not with his injury history.
It could be worked into a signing bonus I think. If nothing else, playing time incentives.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol at "neither side budging" in the Bradford talks. Why can the rams budge from? Bradford takes a cut willingly or he plays for 13 million. Rams have zero advantage to play chicken with

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I could see that. after all fisher and his teammates have supported him maybe they might take it as too much of a slap in the face and miss out on one or two of the top Oline FAs. simply a restructure into incentive based like Kaps. leadership move on his part. i understand it's a business but I also want bradford to be hungry for a win more than a fat paycheck. I'm been a Bradford supporter through all of it but it's time for a gesture to all those that have been behind him. only if they took a leap and jump to snag one of the top two QBs and gambled. again

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Ask yourselves this gentlemen.

What options do the Rams have right now?
Did Bradford demand that money or was it offered to him?
You break your leg at work (twice) do you take a pay cut?

No, I'm not related to Sam and I'm not his agent. lol

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

You break your leg at work (twice) do you take a pay cut for the betterment of the team?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could also look at it as, Bradford has taken two big hits from a team that gave him limited weapons, and protection. Big injuries that could potentially derail his whole career, are priceless. I see both sides, but he's taken a couple bullets for us, pay the man his salary, then let the market sort him out next year.

This is exactly how I look at it. Shoddy protection has led to 2 acl tears. they could lead to something like $150m in lost salary if he doesn't make it through this season. And people want him to take a pay cut. Screw that. I will hold no animosity towards sam if he sticks to his guns. Business is business.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

You break your leg at work (twice) do you take a pay cut?

Well Sam could look at it this way. In his first year back he could be a bit gimpy or gunshy and not play to his full potential. If he restructures and takes a two year deal that has performance incentives, he could but himself more time to get back into the game mentally and bank on having a very good 2016. Then when he is looking for that next big contract he will be in better position to demand more money for more years.

If his agents do explore a trade or try to guage Sam's value at this point, they will be disappointed with what they find and that will set his market value for the Rams.

I am sticking to the idea that he is done. I don't think he finishes the year. The Rams need to trade up for Mariota and then ride out SAMs contract to buy Mariota time to adjust to the NFL. Let Bradford's injuries be another teams problem.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm lucky enough to be one of the higher paid blue collar workers in STL. And there's a reason for that, same as Bradford's contract. If I was asked to take a pay cut after being hurt seriously twice, and beat up constantly due to shoddy management, hell would freeze over before I said ok. In fact, I would see that as a slap in the face. While pro sports are obviously more volatile as far as employment is concerned, I don't see Bradford's situation as being far off from that scenario.

lockdnram21

Legend
I still don't see how a qb that hasn't proved anything coming off multiple torn acl is going to get 8 plus million just to sit on bench. Wish I had his job. Clearly not worth it