Rams Camp Report: Day 4/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Camp Report: Day 4
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9957/rams-camp-report-day-4

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of St. Louis Rams training camp.

The Rams were finally able to put the pads on Monday morning and did so for a special teams workout before the full squad puts them on this week. Coach Jeff Fisher prefers to get his players acclimated to wearing pads in a special teams workout before throwing them into the mix of a real practice. It has been common practice in the previous two seasons as well.

Believe it or not, special teams practices are pretty entertaining, at least near the end. In what has become a rite of passage for young players trying to make the roster, there are two full-contact drills that really promote competition. In a fairly basic punt cover drill, a gunner lines up on either side of the line with two players in front of him. When the ball is punted or shot out of the JUGS machine, the gunner's task is to beat the double team and get down the field as fast as possible. It is no surprise that linebackers Ray-Ray Armstrong and Daren Bates took the first rep in contact drills Monday. Special teams coach John Fassel wants that duo to take on more of a leadership role this season, and they helped set the tone by jumping into the first rep. The other notable moment from that work was defensive back Lamarcus Joyner taking on Miami natives Stedman Bailey and Brandon McGee. Joyner referred to Bailey and McGee as the Miami Heat, but acquitted himself well by battling tooth and nail. That was enough to draw Fassel's praise. Fassel has been impressed with Joyner so far and said the rookie embodies what he is looking for in a special teams player.

The other notable drill, the main event so to speak, is the one-on-ones that close the practice. The premise is simple: there is a blue tackling dummy set up and two players line up side by side. At the whistle, one player is responsible for getting to the bag and knocking it over while the other's job is to block the pursuer. It's the drill where Bates made his name in 2013 and opened eyes to the prospect of his making the roster. This time, Bates didn't participate, perhaps as a way of dialing him back a bit, but Armstrong was easy to find. Armstrong became tangled with linebacker Lawrence Wilson which set off a short exchange of shoves and words.

Michael Sam also drew praise from Fassel for his work, particularly as a blocker on kick and punt return. Fassel said Sam's weight loss has made a noticeable difference, and he is a bit faster when running down kicks. For now, Fassel envisions Sam contributing in the blocking role while he works on developing the long speed necessary to run down kicks.

Center Scott Wells isn't a part of the special teams, but he did do some work on the side with offensive line coaches Paul Boudreau and Andy Dickerson.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams put on pads for special teams practice
By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/2/1427116.html

ST. LOUIS — The Rams put on the pads Monday morning for the first time in training camp and went through some special teams drills, which produced some spirited moments.
“This special teams practice helped me out a lot last year and my role on the team last year, so I know other guys that were in my position last year they’re trying to fight just like I was,” linebacker Ray Ray Armstrong said. “This day right here, this special teams practice, is very important.”

It was in a similar practice a year ago that Armstrong and fellow linebacker Daren Bates helped stake their claim to roster spots. Both players, then rookies, went on to become special teams stalwarts.

“Last year there were some veteran guys that got beat out on a day like today by Ray Ray and Daren and Chase (Reynolds),” said Rams special teams coordinator John Fassel. “That’s where they made the team. So the rookies and new guys this year were trying to do to them what they did last year to the guys that didn’t make the team. So that’s kind of the way it works, and it’s a great way to see guys compete.”

Armstrong and recently signed linebacker Lawrence Wilson got after each other at the conclusion of one drill, which simulated blocking and covering a kickoff. They had to be separated before calming down.

“It’s all competing,” Armstrong said. “It’s all a competition. It’s football. Some tempers flare up here and there. We’ve got pads on. It was the first day. It’s all fun and games.”

Another similar drill saw players take on double-team blocks as part of working downfield to go after the kickoff returners. It was on that drill that saw rookie cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, the team’s second-round pick, take on wide receiver Stedman Bailey and cornerback Brandon McGee, a pair of second-year players.

“They put me against the Miami Heat, is what they call those guys, Bailey and Brandon McGee,” Joyner said. “Two of the toughest guys in the league and they put me up against those guys. I had to be a man. They threw me in the fire early but I enjoyed it. I love football. It’s a physical game and I love getting dirty.”

The highlight of the practice session was the final drill, which had players going one on one in a simulation of punt coverage team. One player worked to cover 20 yards to get to a practice dummy while the other player tried his best to block him.

“That last drill I think the biggest thing was guys’ willingness to compete, because we didn’t script matchups. They just called themselves out,” Fassel said. “A couple guys probably went three or four times and we’ll probably see on tape that maybe some guys didn’t go or maybe went one time. That’s part of it. But also we’re looking for being better finishers as blockers as far as staying penalty-free and then being better finishers covering kicks. That’s really what that drill was, the last 15-20 yards was covering a kick one-on-one matchup.”

Fassel praised the work of Armstrong, Bates, Joyner and also seventh-round pick Michael Sam, the defensive end who is working to show the Rams he can be a contributor on special teams.

“I think he’s dropped probably about 15 pounds and you can tell the difference running like we did today, 30 to 50 to 70 yards. That’s helped him a lot," Fassel said. "Then, this last drill, this competitive drill, he did a real good job as a blocker. I could see him being a real good guy on punt return and kickoff return as a blocker as we continue to groom him covering kicks, which requires long speed. Which is something that he’ll develop.”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks Bill...couple of things, seems like the same report with a lil more added to Nate's, then Wagoner copied off his paper like in high school. But sill good stuff. It's a reason I like Ray Ray...Gotta add Joyner & Bates as well and probably Bailey...Concerns...where is my boy Mo Alexander? Where is Stewart?

Alan

Legend
RamzFanz noticing the value:
Michael Sam is going to make the team.
I think many of agree with that zz. To much potential to let him go. Who do you think he replaces? I'm thinking Brown, Conrath and Sims are in trouble. In that order.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think many of agree with that zz. To much potential to let him go. Who do you think he replaces? I'm thinking Brown, Conrath and Sims are in trouble. In that order.

I think Sims is safe. Sammy Brown should be investigated for grand larceny. He has managed to stick around for the past two years, collecting a check, and I honestly don't even remember him practicing. Seriously.

Right now, I would say there may be a competition developing between Conrath and Carrington for the final DT spot. Conrath came to camp noticeably bigger (thicker) and at 6'7 they love his size and reach.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Sims is not going anywhere.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think Sims is safe. Sammy Brown should be investigated for grand larceny. He has managed to stick around for the past two years, collecting a check, and I honestly don't even remember him practicing. Seriously.

Right now, I would say there may be a competition developing between Conrath and Carrington for the final DT spot. Conrath came to camp noticeably bigger (thicker) and at 6'7 they love his size and reach.
That's good to know, Conrath is getting bigger every year, and I thought last year, if that dude makes offseason gains next year, he could be a real contributor to our defense.

Agree with everyone about Sims, another dude that has just improved exponentially every year.

Alan

Legend
CoachO with a very reasonable scenario:

Good assessment of the situation Coach.

The only thing that might change that is the wild card known as Westbrooks. He'd better get on the field pretty soon if we wants a chance to make the 53.

Sum1BTRthnU thinking Sims is safe:
Sims is not going anywhere.
Maybe. As I said to CoachO, Westbrooks is a wild card in this picture.