Rams bring John Sullivan in for a visit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Wonder what the holdup is? Maybe waiting back on medical and physical results..
Could be tests on him and on Mangold or they may have an eye on another Center that might be cut soon or as the result of the draft. Or maybe waiting to see who they get in the draft. If that's the case, they must feel pretty sure nobody else is looking at Sullivan.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not looking likely Rams sign Sullivan. Been almost 2 weeks since they brought him in.

You'd think an update on the holdup by the Rams would be in order.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Because IMHO they are going to draft their Center most likely some kid from Wyoming who is rising up the draft charts that many like, however, I forget his name.
Chase Roullier.....and don't you ever forget it.....LLOLOL

Still pulling for Jon Toth

...or this JJ Dielman
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ults-stanford-ohio-st-utah-east-carolina-sdsu
» Center J.J. Dielman (6-5, 306) did not participate in timing events or go through a workout. He's still recovering from a Lisfranc injury that cut short his final season at Utah.
And you guys KNOW how I feel about lower leg injuries...esp. LisFranc.....Only because of his youth...

Wonder what the holdup is? Maybe waiting back on medical and physical results..
If he's taking a 3 day MRI too....I'm passing.

We can't mess this up...I kinda like Cameron Tom too
http://www.patriots.com/video/2017/03/01/college-highlights-cameron-tom-c-southern-miss

Cam Keizur, Austin Stephens, or Riley Sorenson as UDFA options.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Not looking likely Rams sign Sullivan. Been almost 2 weeks since they brought him in.

You'd think an update on the holdup by the Rams would be in order.
If the Rams are interested they might not want to tip their hand.
They might even want to leak something about an injury to keep other teams from being interested. JMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I dunno what to think about the Ram's hesitance about Sullivan.

Could be medical. He does have history of back trouble.

Could be a square peg in a round hole type of planned scheme fit.

Could be they have their eye on a couple (or more) anticipated cuts from other teams.

Could be that a late round pick for a Groy trade is their ace in the hole.

Hell, maybe Kromer has visions of finding his starting C from Donnal, Wichmann, or ???

I do believe two things...

1) They want to sign an experienced vet C for their starter in '17. Just because.

2) They will almost certainly draft a C in the mid rounds. Excellent value/need intersection in that area.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Put me on record as thinking our Center is not on our roster yet.
I could maybe see Wichmann as a backup but not Donnal as a center conversion.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Tons of options. I'd like to see how Cam Erving is doing. He saw Mack play a year and then He played a year and now Tretter signed means they might want him elsewhere as he has played OT,OG & C at FSU .I'm here at FSU and saw him at center their National Championship season. I just know that Whomever Komer has in mind knowing they must hit the ground running and OL is too KEY to get our FRANCHISE QB & RB on track again. We will have a BULL at the pivot position. Not gonna worry about it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think the Rams are going BPA with the first two picks. If those end being any combo of CB, DE, OLB or TE, then I can see the Rams signing Sullivan if they're good with his medical.

If a prime C drops, I can see them taking him and maybe not signing Sullivan.

I don't think we'll know until after the draft.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Unless @Mackeyser we draft a C but also bring in Sullivan at the right price too. It would have to be a performance / injury specific contract

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I dunno what to think about the Ram's hesitance about Sullivan.

Could be medical. He does have history of back trouble.

Could be a square peg in a round hole type of planned scheme fit.

Could be they have their eye on a couple (or more) anticipated cuts from other teams.

Could be that a late round pick for a Groy trade is their ace in the hole.

Hell, maybe Kromer has visions of finding his starting C from Donnal, Wichmann, or ???

I do believe two things...

1) They want to sign an experienced vet C for their starter in '17. Just because.

2) They will almost certainly draft a C in the mid rounds. Excellent value/need intersection in that area

My brotha great thinking, Snead just mentioned a day or so ago that the team is leaning towards signing a vet center for experience and transition purposes, with the idea of bringing in a youngin' or mentoring an existing olineman to move over to center.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Tons of options. I'd like to see how Cam Erving is doing. He saw Mack play a year and then He played a year and now Tretter signed means they might want him elsewhere as he has played OT,OG & C at FSU .I'm here at FSU and saw him at center their National Championship season. I just know that Whomever Komer has in mind knowing they must hit the ground running and OL is too KEY to get our FRANCHISE QB & RB on track again. We will have a BULL at the pivot position. Not gonna worry about it.
According to Browns fans he was beyond horrible in his time at center.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
According to Browns fans he was beyond horrible in his time at center.

Well just like Barret Jones was on Bama his senior year , both him and Cam Erving helped their respective teams by being the best OL on the team and filling the weakest spot on their teams being the center spot, and winning Championships. Well center is now our weakest spot (see I did'nt say hole). Got the whole hole thing from Jerry in a thread I have marked to grab the evidence from. I never watched one full Browns game to watch his progress . Their O-Line has not been as bad as the team performance. Their talent there is known in a few players others have recently cherry picked as in Mack. OLT not to shabby either. I was just spit balling as I'm not worried we won't have a decent starter by camp. It'll get done. Since I'm no real fan of Sullivan it probably assures me that is who our bridge will be.:rolleyes:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
McSnead is going to bring in a vet center, even if they have to wait for the cut down to 53. Too risky to depend on rookie unkown to start.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
McSnead is going to bring in a vet center, even if they have to wait for the cut down to 53. Too risky to depend on rookie unkown to start.
That's what I'm thinking or they may have their eye on a teams back up already.

We should be able to get somebody's back up for a six rounder. Especially if that team feels deep at Center.

My guess was that we would overpay for one of the best free agent left tackle. (Check).

Draft our future Center. (Seems highly likely).

Find a vet stopgap guy. (again highly likely)

I would be surprised if they took a tackle or guard in the draft unless someone really Falls quotes a late-round pick six or seventh-rounder.
JMO.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Why? Iowa players are known to practice & play several positions on the O-line. He received great coaching by Frentz....

I'd say the jury is still out on any of our cross training hopefuls, but Barnes was the starting center all year so how good can anyone else be? Unless the new staff sees something without actually being able to see something due to the lack of tape and practice, then I don't feel comfortable with any of our guys starting the season as center.

They just made a much needed major move at LT, so why get cute with the 2nd most important position on the line that has all the pressure of high expectations for goff and Gurley. They need to get who they feel is the best center available either through FA, the draft, or trade.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'd say the jury is still out on any of our cross training hopefuls, but Barnes was the starting center all year so how good can anyone else be? Unless the new staff sees something without actually being able to see something due to the lack of tape and practice, then I don't feel comfortable with any of our guys starting the season as center.

They just made a much needed major move at LT, so why get cute with the 2nd most important position on the line that has all the pressure of high expectations for goff and Gurley. They need to get who they feel is the best center available either through FA, the draft, or trade.

Kromer needs time to check these guys out & as he says touch & feel them . He wants to see if they can be coached & retain info . The draft is also coming up . Sullivan played for McVay & didn't start That four letter G-word from the Bills was a stop gap at best.

The Rams will figure it out.Yes & IMHO the cross training is the only way to go.If a player can't play multiple positions then they need to go .It will be about depth, but not by numbers like years past. Guys that can play Offensive Line like LA Champ said . Guys from Iowa can play multi positions because they were well coached."

Also IMHO - like Snead just said about Whitmore (worth) is going to be worth his weight in $$$gold because of his veteran leadership for such a young group.
Saffold gets to play next to him as well.
Greg Robinson is not counted on as much, & gets mentored by one of the best LT's in the game. He will play multiple Tackle spots . Which I think Ram fans don't understand at this point. I believe Greg Robinson is going to be a Ram for a very long time.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
With OTA's coming up, the plan may be to see if coach Kromer thinks one of the returning OL, Brown, Donnal or Wichmann or another OL on the roster, can be the day 1 Center. If so, then Sullivan can be brought in as a backup. If not, then the rams look to the draft to find a starting C for the upcoming season, or go back and offer Sullivan or some other C starters money. Sullivan sure seems like the best best to come in, the question may be to pay him starters or reserves money.