Rams' Barrett Jones listed as one of 25 'breakout prospects'/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rhaney is getting work at OG for a good reason.....to see if he can make the team this year. Rhaney will not start at center. The two OL spots will go to Barnes and Jones as our centers this season.

If Rhaney does not do well as a back up OLG then the writings on the wall and it not good. Boudreaux has two back up OGs now in Reynolds and Donnal. Both of them play multiple OL posts. That's where Rhaney is now.

Of course that just my opinion. The thought that Champ mentioned about Cody Wichmann working at center is very interesting. This bares watching in the future if they can stash him on the IR.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
A ton of guys in the NFL "might" have a break out year, but shouldn't there be some evidence that it might happen ??? Might break out based only on potential and college records is kind of lame to me..Jones has barely even gotten on the field since he's been with the Rams...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
His majesty Nick Saban hasnt authorized a name change just yet lol

A look of a fallen emperor, haha.
images

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm all for Jones being a breakout candidate. But will it really happen?

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Jones is the kind of guy that would clearly benefit from P.e.d.s I wouldn't object from him getting a little juiced up so he would have the strength to be a capable nfl lineman. sometimes you gotta do things for the better good of the team... slap on the wrist for the 1st offense... 4 game suspension that probably gets knocked down to 2 games on "technicalities". By that time the season will be over with an we would've won the super bowl!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Count me among those that thought Jones had a nice game against the Titans, although admittedly against backups.

This game is his golden opportunity. If he stands out in line play, I think he wins the tiebreaker vs Barnes with his football smarts.

I agree with Bonifay in that Rhaney needs to impress at OG if he wants to make the 53. Otherwise, it's back to the PS for another year, I'm afraid.

Wichmann's injury has been beyond frustrating for me. I will say that his possible play at C is intriguing.

As an aside, I think we're gonna have a helluva OL in '16. Top 5 maybe. But I'm hopeful that they will be sufficient to get us to the playoffs this year.

TexasRam

Legend
I don't like Rhaney at all. Got blown up at center killing a few runs and got blown up right back into Foles too much.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Close enough since it was a team in red.

Crimson Red ;)
Sorry The Dave Rimington Trophy for the Best College Center is for Dave who played for the Huskers like I said originally. Not Bama . Thought my old brain had just a few cells still firing. Not sure who you're thinking of from Bama. I did finally just googled it after your post. I remember that giant dude playing.

…..

Legend
Sorry The Dave Rimington Trophy for the Best College Center is for Dave who played for the Huskers like I said originally. Not Bama . Thought my old brain had just a few cells still firing. Not sure who you're thinking of from Bama. I did finally just googled it after your post. I remember that giant dude playing.

Ohhhhhhh....so sorry GH. I thought you were saying that Barrett Jones played for the Huskers.

In that case, I stand corrected on my correction ;)

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Dave Remmington....remember the SI cover he did with loads of raw beef on a plate in front of him? Super bust!
Definitely need a center to step forward...I have faith in Barrett Jones....Got to...Barnes is Barnes...Rhaney isn't ready....He gets bulled worse than Jones...Hell, I heard Wichmann has worked as a center in the offseason...At least he'll play stout...
Wiznewski played pretty bad last year for the Raiders...If the Raiders don't want you, good sign that you should stay away...If we were to sign any FA, per the Snisher, we shoulda got Hudson....Better to spend more for a premium than 2 avg. players...That's what they said, right?

Wizneiski injured both shoulders playing for Raiders and had to recover from various surgeries from BOTH shoulders and as the raiders voided their contract with Saffold and we signed him to start for us, we looked over Steve Wisneiski and did not sign him for reasons none of us will ever know. he was still recovering and thoughts of him wanting too much as he had to drop his asking price a truckload when he finally signed his ONE YEAR prove it deal with Jags. I know its hindsight but I've watched Wiz' two pre-season games as the Jags starter and he has been dominant compared to what any of our three have brought to practice or game. Yes Barrett Jones looked the best yet this offseason in the 2nd half of last weeks game going against the titans 2nd and 3rd stringers getting downfield and opening big holes for Watts who ripped a few big ones. Lets see Jones do it against the Colts #1s tonight. I'm rooting for him or whoever we have thats the best to keep Foles safe.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Rhaney is getting work at OG for a good reason.....to see if he can make the team this year. Rhaney will not start at center. The two OL spots will go to Barnes and Jones as our centers this season.

If Rhaney does not do well as a back up OLG then the writings on the wall and it not good. Boudreaux has two back up OGs now in Reynolds and Donnal. Both of them play multiple OL posts. That's where Rhaney is now.

Of course that just my opinion. The thought that Champ mentioned about Cody Wichmann working at center is very interesting. This bares watching in the future if they can stash him on the IR.

Your dead on as usual Bonifay (Big "V") but I'm crossing my fingers Wichman gets his late reps tonight and makes 1st cut and his reps next week helps him make the 9-10 we keep and don't scream at me but I think its Andrew Donnal who we may need to create an injury for to stash on IR as he was a 4th rounder we truly could have gone starting Center with Max Garcia ,Shaq Mason and Mark Glowinski from West Virginia was a center who is now second string OLG for seahawks behind Sweezy as they have a 4 man competition with no clear starter going into our game with Drew Nowak , Lemuel Jean-Pierre ,Patrick Lewis is 3rd string. Seahawks losing bigtime center Max Unger to get the Saints PB Tight End Graham as a major offensive weapon and he's been a major 3rd down option this pre-season for Wilson. Makes me sick. Hope the loss of Unger bites them in the ass as Donald and Brockers eat them up the middle. Drafting of a pure center or signing of Wizneiski for a one year prove it deal were options we chose to pass on. I'm already looking at the Wisconsin center who is the no. 2 pre-season favorite as a 1st or 2nd level player behind USC's center. We do have an extra 2nd round pick next draft. Forgive me I went there.

Maybe tonight Barrett Jones has it all come together as he does have it upstairs and that means a lot to our coaches who like smart guys on the field who can keep our guys calm and collected. He just needs lower body strength to stop the bull rush as he is a better zone blocker than any power guy. NO INJURIES!!!

Last edited:

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yeah, don't want to be negative on this. I wish B Jones would play at an insane level as center but I'm pretty convinced that he's not really physically strong, or a great player. Sadly, I don't even think he's a "good" player. :( Here's to hoping I'm very wrong.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, don't want to be negative on this. I wish B Jones would play at an insane level as center but I'm pretty convinced that he's not really physically strong, or a great player. Sadly, I don't even think he's a "good" player. :( Here's to hoping I'm very wrong.
I was hoping for Rhaney as he has more athletic potential than any other C candidate. Barnes is probably it for being solid. Jones is the odd man out to me overall. I just don't see it. But, I haven't seen the Colts game yet.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yeah. B Jones was cut. That's what I was thinking.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I suppose he didn't necessarily say break out of where.