Rams' Barrett Jones listed as one of 25 'breakout prospects'/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Barrett Jones listed as one of 25 'breakout prospects'
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...rett-jones-listed-as-one-of-25-best-prospects

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Barrett Jones hasn't started a game in his two injury-marred NFL seasons. He hasn't even won the starting center job in the team's three-way competition in this training camp.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't expectations for him. Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders offered his list of 25 possible breakout prospects on Wednesday and the only member of the Rams to make the list was Jones.

The criteria to make the list included certain restrictions, such as the player had to be drafted in the third round or later, entered the league between 2012 and 2014, started fewer than five games, is 26 or younger and has not already signed a contract extension.

Jones checked in at No. 25. Schatz writes that the many awards Jones earned in college don't mean much when it comes to the NFL, and that has come to pass so far in his career.

Understanding that, Jones does have a chance to solidify his spot this season. He's competing with Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney to earn the starting center job and there's a real chance he'll be able to make that happen. He is expected to start Saturday night's preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts, which should offer a prime opportunity to state his case and set himself on course to have the type of breakout season Schatz offers as a possibility.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Thursday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we opened with a look at a piece by Grantland.com's Bill Barnwell on the "Seattle Hangover." ... The Rams aren't rushing into a decision on their starting center. ... Rams coach Jeff Fisher is OK with the current preseason setup. ... We closed the day with some news and notes from Thursday's practice.

Elsewhere:

Fantasy expert Eric Karabell offers some potential breakout candidates at wide receiver.

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson clarified some comments about him.

Football Outsiders ranked every team in terms of its under-25 talent.

At 101sports.com, Rams end Robert Quinn discussed his love for barbecue.

At stltoday.com, Jim Thomas writes that second-year defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks is attempting to write his own ticket.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I just don't get it, Jones hasn't really shown anything all that impressive. None of his college ability has seemed to translate into the NFL at all and he seems be getting outplayed by Rhaney. Not sure where all the love is coming from.

…..

Legend
I'm still in Camp Jones. I cannot seem to separate myself from the player he used to be. Considered the nations No1 center coming out of High School by Rivals.com, he was switched to right guard and was a Freshman All American. Switched to Tackle his junior year and won the Outland Trophy as the nations best lineman. Then oddly was switched back to center his senior year and won whatever trophy was awarded to the best center in the nation.

That kinda trophy cabinet has to translate and I'm still hoping, expecting that it does. I was jacked about his versatility when we drafted him and theres no reason to think he cant offer the same flexibility as a Ram. If only he could stay off the trainers table. I expected him to be our starting center since last year, and I still expect that he will win the job this year.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I just don't get it, Jones hasn't really shown anything all that impressive. None of his college ability has seemed to translate into the NFL at all and he seems be getting outplayed by Rhaney. Not sure where all the love is coming from.

This is the first year he's been completely healthy. If you combine that with years in the system to learn protections and his pedigree, he should really be a breakout candidate.

I also wouldn't say he's been outplayed by Rhaney. I'm actually excited we've had a true competition at the C position to let the best man win. Hopefully Jones can rise to the occasion and be that guy.

Big Willie

Starter
I am number 26 on the list. I have never played college football but did win many High School awards.... and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

FRO

Legend
I'm sort of underwhelmed with our Cs. Barnes seems like a quality backup, but not a starter, Jones has the smarts but not the physical strength, Rhaney has some physical ability but isn't ready. I'm guessing Barnes will start.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Maybe they meant he might be a top 25 prospect to file his taxes on his own this year.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think the Rams are poised to explode tomorrow, including Jones starts at C and proves he's the starter now and for the future. I like Rhaney too. I don't like Barnes at all. I know it won't happen, but my hope would be the other two play well enough so Barnes is cut to make room on the roster for Wichmann, Donnal, Battle or another OL with a higher potential ceiling. I think we've seen the best Barnes will ever be and it is not NFL quality.

FRO

Legend
Who's starting tomorrow?
I've read Thomas and Wagoner say they expect Jones to start. There has been nothing official from the Rams. I was sort of hoping one guy would have stood out and grabbed the job by now. I think having chemistry is super important along the line. The sooner we have the starting C decided the better. That being said it's hard to fault Fisher for taking his time since lol three guys are about equal.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I'm still in Camp Jones. I cannot seem to separate myself from the player he used to be. Considered the nations No1 center coming out of High School by Rivals.com, he was switched to right guard and was a Freshman All American. Switched to Tackle his junior year and won the Outland Trophy as the nations best lineman. Then oddly was switched back to center his senior year and won whatever trophy was awarded to the best center in the nation.

The Yearly best college Center trophy is the Dave Remmington trophy . I think he played for Nebraska or Oklahoma. probably Huskers if my old mind is even working. He was a stud for years in college and they ran the ball non-stop. Should have googled it but going from memory. Yes Barrett Jones won every OL trophy you could win thats made. Just like Aaron Donald won every Trophy he could win and some that DT's never win also.

Since Barnes started the 1st game and Rhaney started last week its B. Jones' turn to start against Indy . None have seperated from each other or a decision would have been made . Wish watching the Jags play the Lions tonight we had signed Wisneiski for a one year prove it deal he gi as he is playing TWICE as good as we've seen from any of the 3 I've watched everything I can get my hands on since OTA's. Swanson for the Lions is looking awesome too. Neither has allowed any pressure from their men. Been watching them two solely. My opinion is Barnes has allowed the least steamrolls and is the most physical right now but maybe not as quick as Rhaney or as smart as Jones. Only Coach Paul has film room data and him and coach Dikerson know who has the lead IF ANYONE.

Coach Fisher said it will probably come to gametime decision (seahawks). We need to stash Wichman if he does'nt get a decent shot with a fake IR injury. If Barnes does'nt make it as starter I have a bad feeling he will be gone as they are just not that far apart in Boo's eyes. Rhaney is getting OLG reps and may even start there. We need co-hesive reps with our top 5 and I think Saffold may sit until next week or even Seattle game which is not good for a fast start.

Call it hindsight but we will be drafting Center in 2-4 rounds next year if we keep going like this. Missed a couple good 4th rounders I liked and the seahawks drafted one right after we took A. Donnal from Iowa in 4th round. Seems the seahawks are not sure who is best yet to start against us either. They must have drafted a good one to challenge their guy who had 4+ starts as they traded their stud Center to Saints for PB tight End that Brees loved. Center is just too important to think NOT JUST KNOW you have THE guy to start there. We paid Wells TOP DOLLAR to stink so lets get a top quality guy if we can please. Hope it does'nt bite us in the arse not signing Wiz when we had a chance. He played well as Jags beat the steelers early . Plus looking really good tonight against the lions #1's. We'll see .

FRO

Legend
The Yearly best college Center trophy is the Dave Remmington trophy . I think he played for Nebraska or Oklahoma. probably Huskers if my old mind is even working. He was a stud for years in college and they ran the ball non-stop. Should have googled it but going from memory. Yes Barrett Jones won every OL trophy you could win thats made. Just like Aaron Donald won every Trophy he could win and some that DT's never win also.

Since Barnes started the 1st game and Rhaney started last week its B. Jones' turn to start against Indy . None have seperated from each other or a decision would have been made . Wish watching the Jags play the Lions tonight we had signed Wisneiski for a one year prove it deal he gi as he is playing TWICE as good as we've seen from any of the 3 I've watched everything I can get my hands on since OTA's. Swanson for the Lions is looking awesome too. Neither has allowed any pressure from their men. Been watching them two solely. My opinion is Barnes has allowed the least steamrolls and is the most physical right now but maybe not as quick as Rhaney or as smart as Jones. Only Coach Paul has film room data and him and coach Dikerson know who has the lead IF ANYONE.

Coach Fisher said it will probably come to gametime decision (seahawks). We need to stash Wichman if he does'nt get a decent shot with a fake IR injury. If Barnes does'nt make it as starter I have a bad feeling he will be gone as they are just not that far apart in Boo's eyes. Rhaney is getting OLG reps and may even start there. We need co-hesive reps with our top 5 and I think Saffold may sit until next week or even Seattle game which is not good for a fast start.

Call it hindsight but we will be drafting Center in 2-4 rounds next year if we keep going like this. Missed a couple good 4th rounders I liked and the seahawks drafted one right after we took A. Donnal from Iowa in 4th round. Seems the seahawks are not sure who is best yet to start against us either. They must have drafted a good one to challenge their guy who had 4+ starts as they traded their stud Center to Saints for PB tight End that Brees loved. Center is just too important to think NOT JUST KNOW you have THE guy to start there. We paid Wells TOP DOLLAR to stink so lets get a top quality guy if we can please. Hope it does'nt bite us in the arse not signing Wiz when we had a chance. He played well as Jags beat the steelers early . Plus looking really good tonight against the lions #1's. We'll see .
Totally agree with signing Wisneiski on a one year prove it deal. We knew we were going to go in with two rookie starters and Greg Robinson who still has a bit to go in his development. Getting a vet C would help. I really don't like going into the season with such an inexperienced line.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
A "one year prove it deal" Is that what he signed with the Jags ??? I really don't know, not a smart-ass question...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me he was the best center in our last preason game. He got push and he was routinely at the second level

paceram

Pro Bowler

That kinda trophy cabinet has to translate and I'm still hoping, expecting that it does. I was jacked about his versatility when we drafted him and theres no reason to think he cant offer the same flexibility as a Ram. If only he could stay off the trainers table. I expected him to be our starting center since last year, and I still expect that he will win the job this year.

I agree! I think if healthy, Jones will win the starting Center position.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not sure how this plays out expected more out of Jones seems he's lacking strength from an observational standpoint, but he'll be starting tonight seems IMO that Barnes has looked the best, but the coaching staff IMO seem to be set on going with Rhaney or Jones so let's see if Barrett can get it done tonight because I need a good nights rest and will sleep better with a Ram victory and a solid performance from the Crimson Tide alum.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I can understand some Rams being on this list: people like McDonald or Ogletree, but Jones may not even start. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
he Dave Remmington trophy . I think he played for Nebraska or Oklahoma. probably Huskers if my old mind is even working. He was a stud for years in college and they ran the ball non-stop. Should have googled it but going from memory.
Dave Remmington....remember the SI cover he did with loads of raw beef on a plate in front of him? Super bust!
Definitely need a center to step forward...I have faith in Barrett Jones....Got to...Barnes is Barnes...Rhaney isn't ready....He gets bulled worse than Jones...Hell, I heard Wichmann has worked as a center in the offseason...At least he'll play stout...
Wiznewski played pretty bad last year for the Raiders...If the Raiders don't want you, good sign that you should stay away...If we were to sign any FA, per the Snisher, we shoulda got Hudson....Better to spend more for a premium than 2 avg. players...That's what they said, right?