Rams' banged-up young secondary could be tested --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' banged-up young secondary could be tested
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_98a4f7a6-9c54-59ff-81ea-bfbf7baccc1f.html

The Rams might have to do a little shuffling in the secondary for Sunday’s game against the Chiefs in Kansas City.

On Friday, starting cornerback Janoris Jenkins missed his third consecutive practice because of a knee injury he suffered in last weekend’s victory over Seattle. Jenkins, a third-year pro, is listed as questionable — 50-50 — for the noon game Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.

The news is a bit more encouraging for another third-year cornerback, Trumaine Johnson — he is also listed as questionable. Johnson, who suffered a knee injury in the preseason, worked with the scout team this week. He was limited in practice on Tuesday and Wednesday and was a full participant on Friday.

“He did a lot more today,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Friday. “It’s good to see him move around the way he did.’’

The report on corner Brandon McGee isn’t as encouraging.

The second-year player from Miami, who has missed the last four games because of a foot injury, practiced on Wednesday but suffered a setback on Thursday and did not work out on Friday. He has been ruled out for Sunday.

“Re-injured the foot ...’’ Fisher said. “We’re doing tests. It doesn’t look good.’’

That leaves the Rams with limited numbers in the defensive backfield with rookies corners E.J. Gaines, Lamarcus Joyner and Marcus Roberson as the other cornerbacks on the roster. At safety, there’s third-year pro Rodney McLeod and second-year players T.J. McDonald and Cody Davis.

But Fisher said he isn’t overly concerned.

“We’ve got plenty of them. We’re going to line them up and play,’’ he said. “I can’t tell you exactly who is going to play right now, but they’re going to play.’’

Roberson, an undrafted free agent from Florida, was pressed into action last week when Jenkins got hurt and recorded his first NFL tackle while taking part in 13 defensive snaps before Jenkins was able to return. Roberson could see even more action Sunday.

“Marcus knows what to do,’’ Fisher said. “He’s doing well on special teams. It’s interesting, at one point against the world champs, we had three rookies (Gaines, Joyner and Roberson) in the secondary; they hung in there. He’s a good, solid back-up who’s ready to play, that’s important. It’s the hardest thing to do, to prepare and be ready to play.’’

Roberson said he is excited about getting more playing time and is focusing on playing as he has been taught.

“I stepped in and I did what I needed to do,’’ the 21-year-old said. “A few jitters at first, but after that, it’s all ball. I just try to pay attention throughout the week and be ready for the opponent (and) whatever they’ve got planned.

“Getting in a real game, seeing the real tempo, it definitely helped me feel more comfortable out there. If you trust the coaches and follow the scheme, you’ll do OK.’’

Like Fisher, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams likes what he’s seen of Roberson.

“He’s a sharp kid,’’ Williams said. “The thing you guys don’t see is how much he works behind the scenes.

“He’s a good kid. Smart. Tough. (He) played at a high level and has played very well for us throughout the whole preseason (and) played very well for us every single day in practice. He’ll be fine.’’

OTHER RAMS INJURIES

Back-up center and Mizzou product Tim Barnes has been ruled out of Sunday’s game because of shoulder injury.

Listed as probable after going through full practice on Friday are defensive end William Hayes (illness), safety McDonald (concussion), wide receiver Kenny Britt (ankle), guard Rodger Saffold (knee), linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (toe), defensive end Ethan Westbrooks (hand) and running back Benny Cunningham (knee).

Kicker Greg Zuerlein missed Friday’s practice because of illness and is probable for Sunday.

Roberson, an undrafted free agent from Florida, was pressed into action last week when Jenkins got hurt and recorded his first NFL tackle while taking part in 13 defensive snaps before Jenkins was able to return. Roberson could see even more action Sunday.

“Marcus knows what to do,’’ Fisher said. “He’s doing well on special teams. It’s interesting, at one point against the world champs, we had three rookies (Gaines, Joyner and Roberson) in the secondary; they hung in there. He’s a good, solid back-up who’s ready to play, that’s important. It’s the hardest thing to do, to prepare and be ready to play.’’

Roberson said he is excited about getting more playing time and is focusing on playing as he has been taught.

“I stepped in and I did what I needed to do,’’ the 21-year-old said. “A few jitters at first, but after that, it’s all ball. I just try to pay attention throughout the week and be ready for the opponent (and) whatever they’ve got planned.

“Getting in a real game, seeing the real tempo, it definitely helped me feel more comfortable out there. If you trust the coaches and follow the scheme, you’ll do OK.’’

Like Fisher, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams likes what he’s seen of Roberson.

“He’s a sharp kid,’’ Williams said. “The thing you guys don’t see is how much he works behind the scenes.

“He’s a good kid. Smart. Tough. (He) played at a high level and has played very well for us throughout the whole preseason (and) played very well for us every single day in practice. He’ll be fine.’’

CHIEFS INJURIES

Kansas City has ruled out nickel back Chris Owens (knee) and wide receiver Donnie Avery (groin) for Sunday’s game. Avery, a Rams second-round draft pick in 2008, recently had surgery for a sports hernia.

Standout safety Eric Berry, who has missed the last four games because of a high ankle sprain, has been limited in practice all week and is questionable. So is receiver Junior Hemingway (hamstring), who was also limited on Friday.

Going through full Friday workouts and listed as probable are tight end Travis Kelce (ribs), linebacker Justin Houston (ankle), cornerback Sean Smith (groin) and running back Cyrus Gray (hand).

KC CONNECTIONS

Sunday will mark a homecoming for Gaines, who grew up in nearby Independence, Mo.

“I’ve been to Arrowhead plenty of times, but I actually grew up a Raiders fan — a lot of my family is from California,’’ the sixth-round draft pick from Mizzou said. “I played there a couple of times with Missouri and played there with my Pop Warner team when I was 10. I’m definitely looking forward to getting a chance to play in front of my family and friends.’’

Gaines estimates “about 40’’ people will be on hand to watch him on Sunday.

Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer also spent a lot of time in Kansas City as a youngster. He is the son of Marty Schottenheimer, who was the Chiefs’ head coach from 1989-1998.

“I grew up as a fan of a lot of teams — Cleveland Browns, Kansas City, Detroit Lions, New York Giants,’’ Brian kidded. “When you have a dad that moves around a lot, you certainly love a lot of teams. We had some great years there.

“I was on the sidelines for a lot of (games), holding the cord and doing things like that. Great environment, great fans. It’ll be fun to go back.’”

Gregg Williams, the Rams defensive coordinator, also has ties to the Kansas City area. He was born in Excelsior Springs, Mo., which is about 35 miles northeast of Kansas City. Williams began his coaching career in 1984 as head coach at Belton (Mo.) High in suburban Kansas City.

RAM-BLING

Wide receiver Brian Quick of the Rams and Seattle’s Tharold Simon were fined $8,268 each for a skirmish Sunday. Quick was flagged for unnecessary roughness after throwing a punch at Simon on the final play of the first quarter. On the next snap, Simon grabbed Quick’s face mask.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
The front four must put pressure on the QB to help out those youngsters in the secondary. Now that I've stated the obvious let's hope they actually do.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Stop the running game. Smith alone can't beat the Rams.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The front four must put pressure on the QB to help out those youngsters in the secondary. Now that I've stated the obvious let's hope they actually do.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Having 3 Rookie CB's starting in our defense will cause some concern but I am not overly worried. Joyner who has been strictly the Nickel Corner ....however he played 13 games as the starting CB for the best team in college NCAA last yr. Joyner started for 3 seasons and played heavy his first season too. If for some reason Roberson or Gaines goes down Joyner will hold his own on the outside under fire on the outside for this game.

Looks like it may be time to place CB Brandon McGee on the IR & activate DE Chris Long in week 9. Hopefully both out young vets CB's JJ & TJ will be healthy again 9 days from now by 2nd 9ers game that will be very important with the 3 rookie corners in standby mode! Leaving Five CB's on the master roster is doable for the last half of the season.

This week Gregg Williams may have needed to plan working all his healthy safeties in on the Nickel & Dime defenses. FS Rodney McLeod would have to fill back in the Nickle like last yr against KC for one game, with 2nd yr safety Cody Davis taking up the FS post.....its not all that bad. Big strong safety 6-1 223 Mo Alexander could be used in certain situations in WSLB'er post for the hurting slow Dunbar some too. Mo is fast, quick & very good going forward.