Rams at Packers Week 5 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle

So you might be wondering why I'm posting this loss from last year. Well, even though this was one of the most frustrating losses in my opinion last year, I'm posting it because it was also a very close game against an elite QB, and the season hasn't started so why not get a little more optimistic.

If you have the time to watch the video (or if you remember all the details) you'll see this is where Foles went to absolute shit last year. The entire offense was literally Gurley and Tavom, and our defense played very well for the most part.

Take away Foles' pick 6, and it's a 4 point game. Take away Foles' INT in the red zone in Q4 (and assume Greg makes the chip shot, fair assumption IMO) and it's a 1 point game. The. You then realize Greg missed 3 FG's all over 50, but damn that 63 yarder was close, so give him credit for one of em if you want, then we win by 2 (win by 8 if you want to say he's good enough to hit all 3 he missed). AND OP TOP OF THAT, take away the blown coverage by the D on the first Pack TD, imagine we hold the Pack to a FG, safe to say seeing how our defense played the rest of the game, and we won the game by 6 (or 15 if you're saying we made all those FGs).

Now, I realize that this is a lot of ifs, but if nothing else I think it's fair to say it could have EASILY been a 1 point game if we had someone marginally better at QB. If nothing else, it's just another example of how close we are.

Optimism is a wonderful thing my friends.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I agree Bluesy, this is one of the first games I thought of when the Rams drafted JAred Goff: with merely adequate QB play in this game, it could have been won.

Just re-watched the first half. Thanks for posting. Some notes:

--Foles was AWFUL, even worse than I remembered. First INT was atrocious. Second INT (pick 6) was even worse, not sure if it was Foles' fault, or Cook's fault for quitting on the route, but-- regardless, thankful we won't have that dilemma next year (i.e., who to blame Foles or Cook, cuz neither will be playing for the Rams....)

--Foles also had two delays of game for failing to get the offense lined up on time. (Maybe the OC's fault, but I prefer to blame Foles...).

-- Foles' longer throws looked like a chuck and a prayer-- just heave it up somewhere within 10 yards of the receiver and hope he comes down with it.

--Foles' longest completion of the first half was a fluke play, ball bounced off a player and into the arms of Benny Cunningham. And Foles' TD "pass" was really just a forward handoff to Tavon.

--Foles did make one real nice throw at the end of he half, a nicely placed ball for Quick to jump up and grab over the shorter cornerback. Alas, Quick couldn't come down with it. Always get the feeling that the stage is too big for him.

-- C. Long tips the pass for a Laurinatiis INT. Gonna miss having those two rock-solid leaders on our team.

Bottom line: merely adequate play keeps us in this game. And Foles was just terrible. Can't wait for Goff this year, he's gonna be a great one sooner or later, I hope sooner!!

Last edited:

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
--Foles did make one real nice throw at the end of he half, a nicely placed ball for Quick to jump up and grab over the shorter cornerback. Alas, Quick couldn't come down with it. Always get the feeling that the stage is too big for him.

I'm starting to get the same feeling about Quick also. I wish to be proven wrong but I don't know if that'll be the case.

I honestly think with Cook out of our offense we'll be able to distribute all the catches he got to a different receiver who can hopefully make some plays. Cook had all the traits to be a play maker but he simply wasn't. Too many dropped balls, never broke a tackle, etc.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Foles' read & release time reminds me of what it felt like the first time i smoked WAY too much pot.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
What strikes me about this game is the complete inability to block and coordinate an offense. Foles became shell shocked (Bulgerized) and I don't know any QB that could've recovered. Well, Farve would've been able to recover, but he'd just throw more picks.

The run plays for Gurley were soooooo basic and unimaginative, I'm shocked he made 2 and 3 yard gains on plays that had NO chance for success. Still, his frustration was that he still felt he could break it off.

On the positive side, this is the FIRST time in the Fisher era that Rodgers didn't make our defense look like a high school JV squad.

Finally, I wonder how Zuerline would've fared with a normal team. Being expected to hit 50 and 60 yard bombs regularly is like criticizing John Daly for not paying enough attention to his short game. If asked to focus solely on 20 to 40 yard kicks, I suspect he would become more consistent

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

So you might be wondering why I'm posting this loss from last year. Well, even though this was one of the most frustrating losses in my opinion last year, I'm posting it because it was also a very close game against an elite QB, and the season hasn't started so why not get a little more optimistic.

If you have the time to watch the video (or if you remember all the details) you'll see this is where Foles went to absolute crap last year. The entire offense was literally Gurley and Tavom, and our defense played very well for the most part.

Take away Foles' pick 6, and it's a 4 point game. Take away Foles' INT in the red zone in Q4 (and assume Greg makes the chip shot, fair assumption IMO) and it's a 1 point game. The. You then realize Greg missed 3 FG's all over 50, but damn that 63 yarder was close, so give him credit for one of em if you want, then we win by 2 (win by 8 if you want to say he's good enough to hit all 3 he missed). AND OP TOP OF THAT, take away the blown coverage by the D on the first Pack TD, imagine we hold the Pack to a FG, safe to say seeing how our defense played the rest of the game, and we won the game by 6 (or 15 if you're saying we made all those FGs).

Now, I realize that this is a lot of ifs, but if nothing else I think it's fair to say it could have EASILY been a 1 point game if we had someone marginally better at QB. If nothing else, it's just another example of how close we are.

Optimism is a wonderful thing my friends.

This upcoming week 5 game against the Pack will be our most important Road game of the 1st 5 games and well show were we are at as a team, we should be on a Roll by week 5, and I for one think we could be 4-0 going into the game!!(y):D We CAN beat the Pack in Green Bay!:yess:

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On the positive side, this is the FIRST time in the Fisher era that Rodgers didn't make our defense look like a high school JV squad.

This. It's actually another reason I wanted to go back and watch this game. I just hope with the changes we've made our defense can still be solid.

FWIW, our run defense seems to be a bit hit or miss (see the bucs game for some good examples). We'll give up several 5-10 yard runs in a row, but later on we'll make a stop in the backfield for a loss. Just want it to be more consistent.