Rams at Miami: Five things to watch/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams at Miami: Five things to watch
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_76bbd6ac-cedd-500c-9844-c4e8ae846d1b.html

SAM VS. WESTBROOKS

If you were scoring this defensive end battle like a heavyweight fight, give Ethan Westbrooks both Round 1 (New Orleans) and Round 2 (Green Bay). Round 3 (Cleveland) went to Michael Sam. The fourth and final round of the preseason, tonight in Miami, ranks as one of the most important games of their careers. Will it be Sam, Westbrooks, or both on the 53-man roster?

LIFE WITHOUT BRADFORD

Shaun Hill gets the first of what could be many starts as Rams quarterback. Jeff Fisher declined to reveal, even in general terms, how much Hill would play tonight. If Hill is shaky, does it cause Fisher to re-think his QB plans going forward? The same holds for backup Austin Davis and No. 3 Garrett Gilbert. Fisher and GM Les Snead will sleep better if all three play well.

BACKFIELD STABLE IV

If Benny Cunningham isn’t challenging Zac Stacy for the starting job, he’s certainly pushing him for playing time. He’s been the best Rams RB on the field this preseason. And what to do with Tre Watts? A strong showing against the Dolphins could push him into a roster spot. If so, that would be five RBs on the squad again, which is a lot assuming Chase Reynolds makes the squad.

CORNERBACK CAROUSEL

With Trumaine Johnson sidelined until at least late September with a knee injury, the auditioning is under way for a starting cornerback job. With Brandon McGee (ankle) not practicing this week, Mizzou rookie E.J. Gaines could get the first crack tonight. But Marcus Roberson, Darren Woodard and Greg Reid are also in the picture. Not all of them will make the final roster.

BUBBLE BOWL

There are roster battles to be decided at several other positions. At tight end, will it be the blocker (Justice Cunningham) or the receiver (Alex Bayer) for the fourth tight end spot? ... Travis Bond and Brandon Washington are fighting for a backup guard job. Both have also played some tackle as well. ... Phillip Steward and Lawrence Wilson are vying for the sixth LB spot.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
After seeing him myself at practice this sping, I said then I thought Benny looked like the best back. Damn! I hope I'm right for once and Stacy is our killer one two punch.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I love Stacy but you could see last year that Benny was the more talented back. He just needed to come all of the way back from his injury.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I love Stacy but you could see last year that Benny was the more talented back. He just needed to come all of the way back from his injury.

I agree here. I would like to see a larger Cunningham sample and this is no knock on Stacy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
After last week all I want out of this game is no injuries to the starters. I don't care if they have to sit them all.

Athos

Legend
I love Bennie and Stacy.

In Stacy, we finally found a RB again who can SCORE TDs! That ain't no small thing. And yea, I think Stacy is better at the tough yards.

Bennie is faster in a straight line for sure though and is more likely to take it to the house.

We got a good stable for once. Let's just be glad of that.

RamzFanz

Damnit

You don't hear that often. So far this preseason Cunningham has out shone Stacy in my eyes. This is going to be good!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I wish we could see Gilbert for a series or two with the 1s. It wont happen, but would be nice to see if he can get the job done.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I love Bayer to make the squad
The P-D keeps framing J.Cunningham as "the blocker" but I have yet to see it on the field. He is not a dominating blocker at all, (neither is Bayer). From what I've seen Bayer is just as effective blocking and obviously a much bigger catching talent. So I think it's a no-brainer, J.Cunningham is gone. To me the question is if they keep Smelley as a blocker (he hasn't shown much at all) and try to sneak Bayer on the practice squad.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
With Brandon McGee (ankle) not practicing this week
This is one of those injury-as-kind-of-a-blessing things to McGee as it's not serious and gives a chance for extended looks at other guys. I don't think McGee is good enough to start, hopefully one of the others emerges. Sadly DB is another spot where the worst case scenario discussed in the offseason may be coming true. Secondary is already weakened with McLeod's limited talent, now our #1 cover CB is down and nobody seems to have developed into a shut down guy that can step in.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
BUBBLE BOWL

There are roster battles to be decided at several other positions. At tight end, will it be the blocker (Justice Cunningham) or the receiver (Alex Bayer) for the fourth tight end spot? ... Travis Bond and Brandon Washington are fighting for a backup guard job. Both have also played some tackle as well. ... Phillip Steward and Lawrence Wilson are vying for the sixth LB spot.
I'll put my money on Bayer, Bond, and Steward!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought Washington looked night and day different than the last time I saw him last season....I'd keep him & Bond....Person or Hooey.....and I'd cut everybody else....I see no reason to keep Steward...none....I'd cut Chase Reynolds too...Watts has shown too much...
My main concerns are McGee-Roberson-Reid-Woodyard...too close to call...But Reid looks kinda good, and physical...Plus I can't get his highlight tape out of my mind...Woodyard looked physical in the last game vs the 3rd teamers....I'd like to see him start with Roberson, then use Reid on the slot wrs...If Reid can play on the slot too, I'd keep him.

Last edited:

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
:ROFLMAO:
I thought Washington looked night and day different than the last time I saw him last season....I'd keep him & Bond....Person or Hooey.....and I'd cut everybody else....I see no reason to keep Steward...none....I'd cut Chase Daniels too...Watts has shown too much...
My main concerns are McGee-Roberson-Reid-Woodyard...too close to call...But Reid looks kinda good, and physical...Plus I can't get his highlight tape out of my mind...Woodyard looked physical in the last game vs the 3rd teamers....I'd like to see him start with Roberson, then use Reid on the slot wrs...If Reid can play on the slot too, I'd keep him.

Kansas City might get a bit upset if you cut their back-up qb.