Rams at Bucs: Shane's Sound Off on the Week 2 Win (101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Rams Vs. Buccaneers: Sound Off from the St. Louis Win

-The St. Louis Rams reeled in a rugged slugfest of a victory at rainy Raymond James Stadium Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. All things considered, it was as close to a must-win Week 2 matchup that one will ever see when considering:

The Rams are once again the league’s youngest team, making them potentially more vulnerable to an emotional letdown if starting out 0-2.

The Rams face a very formidable schedule following the bye that includes a stretch of four of five games away from home. It is vital that the Rams not fall into a hole early considering the tough slate that is coming later this fall.

austin-davis-200x300.jpg

Austin Davis

-Quarterback Austin Davis, making his first NFL start, performed admirably – completing 22 of 29 passes (76 percent) for 235 yards and a rating of 99.1. Down the stretch, particularly on the Rams’ final drive, the QB who broke several of Brett Favre’s Southern Mississippi passing records was cool as ice, completing a myriad of throws into tight coverage while facing some intense pass rush heat.

– As a side note, it was nice to see a Rams quarterback display some visible fire and intensity both on the field and on the sideline. It was obvious that his teammates responded positively to his intense, passionate and poised demeanor.

As impressive as Davis was, however, he is going to need to push the ball downfield more frequently if he is to remain successful.

If not, opposing defenses will begin smothering the line of scrimmage in an effort to stymie and eventually all but shut down the short passing attack of St. Louis.

(I hope you will enjoy the full column via link below which includes thoughts on the secondary, three keys to the season going forward, "sack" city, Brian Quick, Schottenheimer and the screen pass, Austin Pettis, the continued penalty parade and more):

http://www.101sports.com/2014/09/14/rams-vs-vikings-sound-st-lous-win/

Alan

Legend
Good stuff Shane.

Here's what I agree with the most in what you said:

"I am not sure what offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has against the screen pass, but his consistent reluctance to utilize this option has baffled me since his arrival in the Gateway City."

Here's what I'm thinking and it's probably wrong but I'll throw it out there anyway. As far as I'm concerned, the only real fault I've found in Bradford's game is his inability to throw a really good touch pass. I don't know haw many times I've seen him try and throw a screen pass through the oncoming linemen instead of over them. Perhaps Schotty has gotten out of the habit of calling it and needs to get it back in his arsenal now that we have a different QB. Maybe if you ask him about it the next time you interview him it'll jog his memory. :LOL:

Thanks for posting here again. (y)

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff Shane.

Here's what I agree with the most in what you said:

"I am not sure what offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has against the screen pass, but his consistent reluctance to utilize this option has baffled me since his arrival in the Gateway City."

Here's what I'm thinking and it's probably wrong but I'll throw it out there anyway. As far as I'm concerned, the only real fault I've found in Bradford's game is his inability to throw a really good touch pass. I don't know haw many times I've seen him try and throw a screen pass through the oncoming linemen instead of over them. Perhaps Schotty has gotten out of the habit of calling it and needs to get it back in his arsenal now that we have a different QB. Maybe if you ask him about it the next time you interview him it'll jog his memory. :LOL:

Thanks for posting here again. (y)

You are welcome and thank you for the kind words.

As for the screens -- or lack threof -- Bradford did sometimes seem to struggle there. I'd have to go back and study his history with the Jets to see if this aversion to the screen pass is a long-term thing or something that has happened since coming to St. Louis.

ShaneG

Starter
Just an I.C.Y.M.I. bump as it fell off from page quickly Monday. Sorry if nobody missed it and was bumped for no reason :)

Alan

Legend
ShaneG looking for more abuse:
Just an I.C.Y.M.I. bump as it fell off from page quickly Monday. Sorry if nobody missed it and was bumped for no reason :)
What's your take on the upcoming game? Will you be writing a preview?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Thanks Shane, good read. Pretty much sums it all up. I was relieved to see a lot of improvement from game one to game two. They'll need that much more again for this week's Dallas game.

(Laurinitis isn't a QB)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Rams Vs. Buccaneers: Sound Off from the St. Louis Win

-The St. Louis Rams reeled in a rugged slugfest of a victory at rainy Raymond James Stadium Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. All things considered, it was as close to a must-win Week 2 matchup that one will ever see when considering:

The Rams are once again the league’s youngest team, making them potentially more vulnerable to an emotional letdown if starting out 0-2.

The Rams face a very formidable schedule following the bye that includes a stretch of four of five games away from home. It is vital that the Rams not fall into a hole early considering the tough slate that is coming later this fall.

austin-davis-200x300.jpg

Austin Davis

-Quarterback Austin Davis, making his first NFL start, performed admirably – completing 22 of 29 passes (76 percent) for 235 yards and a rating of 99.1. Down the stretch, particularly on the Rams’ final drive, the QB who broke several of Brett Favre’s Southern Mississippi passing records was cool as ice, completing a myriad of throws into tight coverage while facing some intense pass rush heat.

– As a side note, it was nice to see a Rams quarterback display some visible fire and intensity both on the field and on the sideline. It was obvious that his teammates responded positively to his intense, passionate and poised demeanor.

As impressive as Davis was, however, he is going to need to push the ball downfield more frequently if he is to remain successful.

If not, opposing defenses will begin smothering the line of scrimmage in an effort to stymie and eventually all but shut down the short passing attack of St. Louis.

(I hope you will enjoy the full column via link below which includes thoughts on the secondary, three keys to the season going forward, "sack" city, Brian Quick, Schottenheimer and the screen pass, Austin Pettis, the continued penalty parade and more):

http://www.101sports.com/2014/09/14/rams-vs-vikings-sound-st-lous-win/

Hi Shane,

Good article again my friend.
I can't find a thing I disagree with.
And, they need to fix those problems in a hurry.
That schedule turns very ugly pretty fast.....

ShaneG

Starter
What's your take on the upcoming game? Will you be writing a preview?

LOL probably so :) ... and no preview is likely, just a review. Working on some stadium-related stuff, etc.

ShaneG

Starter
Thanks Shane, good read. Pretty much sums it all up. I was relieved to see a lot of improvement from game one to game two. They'll need that much more again for this week's Dallas game.

(Laurinitis isn't a QB)

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. You nailed it: improvement was made but more is needed. A huge key will be the run D, as it has struggled AND Dallas has gnashed the Rams on the ground the last two times the teams have met.

ShaneG

Starter
Hi Shane,

Good article again my friend.
I can't find a thing I disagree with.
And, they need to fix those problems in a hurry.
That schedule turns very ugly pretty fast.....

Thank you, boss.

Yes, they need to tighten things up quickly as this schedule grows brutal quickly. I think getting Bailey back will help AND I believe this run D is going to tighten up some.

ShaneG

Starter

Nothing in terms of a new update necessarily although I will be checking back in with some folks on that shortly. Although I believe the Rams are staying and much of this is leverage, I am going to do a theoretical Dear Stan letter related to a win-win scenario, as well as some other topics and thoughts related to the future of football here.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Regarding pushing the ball down field more, it seemed like they immediately went with a horizontal spread that that worked well.

Also, it seemed like the YPA was considerable up, regardless of our formation. Just my take.

I am still very worried about our run defense though. I just don't have a good feeling about this game.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Nothing in terms of a new update necessarily although I will be checking back in with some folks on that shortly. Although I believe the Rams are staying and much of this is leverage, I am going to do a theoretical Dear Stan letter related to a win-win scenario, as well as some other topics and thoughts related to the future of football here.

Sounds like a good read. Look forward to hearing from you.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Thanks for the article Shane, always a good read from you.

Appreciate you posting here for us.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks Shane...Great points....Hope the defense is ready for the Cowboys...Romo plays pretty good after getting embarrassed....Dez & Demarco & that O-Line could be trouble....And get some guys benched...