Rams are simplifying their defense/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams are simplifying their defense
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_50636190-adae-5289-9e4c-d3d2cd62bd71.html

The streamlining process currently underway at Rams Park isn’t limited to the offense. Coach Jeff Fisher said the defensive playbook and scheme also are being simplified in preparation for the coming campaign.

“We did an awful lot,” Fisher said, referring to Gregg Williams’ first season as defensive coordinator. “We may have done too much at camp from an install standpoint.

“I think now that (Williams) has a good feel for what we have, and we have a better feel for what we have, that we can prune things down a little bit. And get good at a few things rather than be involved in too much defense.”

The simplified defense, combined with a second year together for Williams and the players, could mean a much-improved unit in 2015.

Although showing flashes of dominance, the Rams were average to below average in most major categories a year ago, finishing 17th in total defense, 14th against the run and 19th vs. the pass.

But it was a different unit over the second half of 2014.

In the last eight games, the Rams ranked fourth in rushing yards allowed per game (84.4), tied for fourth in sacks (26), fifth in points allowed (16.8) and tied for sixth in takeaways (15).

The idea, of course, is to carry over that strong finish to begin the 2015 season.

“Gregg going into his second year with the players and the system, our expectations are much higher for earlier in the year than they were (last season),” Fisher said. “Not that the expectations weren’t high.”

With the exception of defensive tackle Kendall Langford, who was released in a salary cap-related move, every starter and frontline reserve is back from last year’s squad.

The Rams have added to that already substantial foundation by bringing in defensive tackle Nick Fairley and linebacker Akeem Ayers in free agency. Those are the only two outside free agents signed by the Rams on either side of the ball so far this offseason.

“We actually targeted both Akeem and Nick,” Fisher said. “From a fit standpoint and a need standpoint, those were our top two defensive players (in free agency).”

Fairley replaces Langford as the third defensive tackle in the rotation. He comes $1 million cheaper than Langford — at $5 million, compared to the $6 million Langford would’ve earned this season — and potentially is more talented and athletic than Langford.

“Nick was injured last year; was in his view ready to come back and play the final game. He did not,” Fisher said, referring to knee problems that sidelined Fairley for the final eight games, with Detroit. “So since then he’s been doing nothing but working out. Changed his diet, his eating habits. His weight’s under control. He’s in great shape right now.”

As for those questions about Fairley’s overall level of motivation?

“He will admit that he probably didn’t buy into it as best as he could have early on in his career,” Fisher said. “There’s no doubt in my mind he’s buying into it now. He’s serious about his football.”

Ayers, meanwhile, will compete with veteran Jo-Lonn Dunbar for the starting job at strongside linebacker. The strongside ’backer normally plays only 35 to 40 percent of the time on defense, so the addition of Ayers brings an upgrade in talent and depth to the unit as a role player.

“He can play outside linebacker and rush,” Fisher said. “He runs well. And he did a great job for New England just as a stand-up rusher. He gives us another guy that hopefully can create mismatches from a collapsing-the-pocket standpoint.”

If the Rams make any additions in the secondary, it looks as if they will come via the draft. While noting there’s always room for improvement, Fisher likes his quality and his quantity in the secondary, beginning with starting cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson.

“You know, it’s like anything else. Technique-wise, everybody needs work regardless of position,” Fisher said. “I think that’s an area that we’re gonna focus on with both of ’em. Both made a lot of plays last year.”

Both also gave up their share of plays, and both are in the last year of their contracts. Johnson, who missed the first seven games because of a knee injury suffered in a preseason contest, could be pushed for a starting job by E.J. Gaines.

“Can’t say enough about what (Gaines) did for us last year as a starter and as an inside player in the nickel,” Fisher said. “So we’re gonna have him come out and compete outside.

“Our expectation last year was that Lamarcus (Joyner) was gonna end up being the inside, third corner. And that took a little longer. Scheme was a little bit of an issue, then Lamarcus got hurt.”

Undrafted rookie Marcus Roberson got a little seasoning by necessity a year ago, and 2013 draft pick Brandon McGee makes it six corners with at least some NFL experience.

“What we’re looking to see now is we have to be watching Brandon McGee and the injury history,” Fisher said. “Brandon needs to prove to us he can stay healthy, because when he’s on the field, he can make plays, too.”

At safety, starters Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald made strides last year, with McLeod in particular much improved.

“Rodney gave up a couple jump balls that you don’t like to see happen but I thought Rodney really came on,” Fisher said. “Open-field tackling. Consistency from week to week was there. Reliability. Same thing with T.J.”

The depth chart here is heavy on strong safety types, but Fisher is looking forward to a full season with Mark Barron in his big safety/nickel linebacker role, and expecting Eureka High’s Maurice Alexander to show improvement over his rookie season.

BARNES IS BACK

Tim Barnes, a former University of Missouri player, agreed to terms on a contract that will keep him with the Rams. It’s a one-year deal with a maximum value of $1 million; Barnes is expected to sign it Tuesday.

Barnes, 26, was not tendered by the Rams as a restricted free agent this offseason, making him the equivalent of an unrestricted free agent. But all along, the Rams kept the door open that he could re-sign with them at a reduced rate.

Barnes, 6 feet 4 and 306 pounds, has played in 45 NFL games, mostly on special teams over three seasons with the Rams. But he did start four games at center to end the 2013 season in place of the injured Scott Wells.

At worst, Barnes provides needed interior line depth. At best, he can compete for a starting job at center and possibly guard.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In the last eight games, the Rams Defense ranked fourth in rushing yards allowed per game (84.4), tied for fourth in sacks (26), fifth in points allowed (16.8) and tied for sixth in takeaways (15).
giphy.gif

thehammer

Rookie
obvious question is why does Fisher feel there is a need to simplify the defense when it was playing so well in the final 8 games? Think they would take those last 8 games and add more d plays not take plays away..Williams said late last season he still had only used 2/3? of his playbook

from a depth standpoint D really only needs a 6th cb and a backup mlb

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
obvious question is why does Fisher feel there is a need to simplify the defense when it was playing so well in the final 8 games? Think they would take those last 8 games and add more d plays not take plays away..Williams said late last season he still had only used 2/3? of his playbook

Good question. He may just mean during the initial install, depending on how many rookies we end up with on that side. Anything to help get this defense to start the season sharper is a good thing, but I agree that it did not appear "broken" at end of last season.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger

I think Fisher said it best when he used the term pruning, so it makes sense to me. Williams knows his personnel very well now so he can cull some of the things that they do not do as well and focus more on what they do well. I really expect a lot from the Rams defense this year (top 5) especially with hardly no change in personnel, which is almost unheard of in today's NFL

When that is all they need, ther defense is a deep unit indeed. I might add a 4th bigger-bodied DT to that list, in case Brockers goes down, but maybe Worthington can be that man.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Who's to say they didn't simplify the play book during the last half of the season. That could explain why they started playing better especially the dLine and olgetree. GW scheme is known to be very complex on D and with all the youngsters it makes sense to simplify, with all the speed and talent we have its good to just give them their head instead of holding them back trying to learn multiple schemes in a defense, that's what makes Seattle D so good. They play only one way so they are always perfecting it and mastering it down.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
A few things rubbed me the wrong way, like the "defense more simple" people have already mentioned.

Also the Fairley comments, I think it's political spin to claim the Rams saved money. Langford signed with the Colts at a $4.25m cap number. There is no comment anywhere that the Rams ever tried to restructure his deal or that Langford refused to negotiate. Absent that evidence I think it's more fair to say the Rams wanted the upgrade in Fairley paid a bit more for the upgrade, or just don't mention the salary part to it at all. I agree with the comment that they still don't have a run-stuffing 4th DT as a result of this, too. I'm also a bit wary of Fisher's thoughts on Fairley's motivation. "Yeah, really, he's going to give a crap now!" Is he trying to convince us or himself?

Finally, I'm disappointed with the Joyner comments. I have been hoping this offseason he would compete for the starting FS job. That seems a non-starter considering Fisher keeps heaping more love on mediocre McLeod. If Joyner gets lost as the #4 CB, it goes down as another pretty sad 2nd round pick.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I think referring to the defense as being simplified is misleading. They've got a better idea of what they have and can do on defense now than they did this time last year. What it sounds like they are doing is cutting out the things that didn't work so well and expanding on the things that did work.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
A few things rubbed me the wrong way, like the "defense more simple" people have already mentioned.

Also the Fairley comments, I think it's political spin to claim the Rams saved money. Langford signed with the Colts at a $4.25m cap number. There is no comment anywhere that the Rams ever tried to restructure his deal or that Langford refused to negotiate. Absent that evidence I think it's more fair to say the Rams wanted the upgrade in Fairley paid a bit more for the upgrade, or just don't mention the salary part to it at all. I agree with the comment that they still don't have a run-stuffing 4th DT as a result of this, too. I'm also a bit wary of Fisher's thoughts on Fairley's motivation. "Yeah, really, he's going to give a crap now!" Is he trying to convince us or himself?

Finally, I'm disappointed with the Joyner comments. I have been hoping this offseason he would compete for the starting FS job. That seems a non-starter considering Fisher keeps heaping more love on mediocre McLeod. If Joyner gets lost as the #4 CB, it goes down as another pretty sad 2nd round pick.

Quality depth at corner is never a bad thing. in the passing league we play in today you really need 5 to 6 deep at the position. It would be pretty rare for them all to stay healthy for an entire 16 games. I think its a little early to call Joyner a bust and a waste of a 2nd round pick. At the same time I too was hoping he would compete for some playing time at saftey next year but whos to say he doesn't this early? He could be our fourth corner and back up McCloud if he can get his head around this defense williams will find ways to use him he is far to talented to sit on the bench forever.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The signing of a large strong side OLB'er like Akeem Ayers could be a turning point where we may see less large nickles & more standard base 4-3-4 now. No reason to get that talent off the field IMO if its a passing down Ayers would come in handy joining Chris Long/Rob Quinn crashing in from the SSLB post. if its running down he has excellent size @ 255 pounds & very good speed to make plays.

Rams have a boatload of five strong safety types on this roster with Barron, Mc Donald, Alexander, Bryant & McLeod so it would not surprise me if we see a draft day trade involving Mark Barron use as trade draft pick bait.

Fisher also is 6 deep with CB's on the roster. I thinking he would like to add another yougin with the one of the 3rd day draft picks. Three of his CB's Johnson/McGee & Joyner missed major chunks of time in 2014. So you have 3 coming back from injuries joining Gaines, Roberson & Jenkins. Thus I could also see Trumaine Johnson being in demand & used as draft trade ammo for draft selections.

Both Johnson & Barron are in their final yr of their rookie contracts and both of them have been starters since their rookie seasons. You know that NE Pats & Cinn. Bengals would love to have both of them starting in their secondaries.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I don't have much to say about this... simplified, complicated... doesn't matter much to me.

All I hope for is they come out strong and consistent this year (no more Giants efforts).

I seriously believe the offense is going to struggle out of the gate. If they don't do more for the Oline, that struggle could be significant IMO.

So, I feel like it's going to be on the defense to win them a few until the offense starts figuring things out.

Tons of talent and potential on that defense... just need them to come out punching!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Imagine the last 8 games defense, playing the first 8 with Austin Davis? Spooky huh? Probably a 6-2 or better start....but teams, situations all are never the same....

I too wonder why all the love for McLeod, the only obvious weakness on a up and coming defense...All I keep seeing is that John Brown TD and that silly dance...If Mark Barron & TJ McDonald don't start the season together, we just threw away a 4th & 6th round pick...
Akeem Ayers is a great player..and should always be on the field on passing downs....He is stronger vs the pass as a rusher & cover guy, than he is a run stopper. But he has improved as a defender in that area as well....
I like Nick Fairley...Loved his game in college....But he has been injured a lot...Interesting to see how he turns out...I liked Langford too...This was a strange move....
Like some have said, why simplify now? We just went through the season, took our lumps, may as well just build on what they know...I'm getting like JT, don't know what to believe anymore from the Fish...Also like to see everyones comments on the simplification of the defense....where's coach0? where's alan, dag, all you guys...X....this is a real topic right here...rambill...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I get it. I'm a firm believer of keeping things simple. If players have to think too much on the field they are slow to react. Keep their rules simple and play calls simple will allow them to react much faster and use their athleticism to the fullest. Many times last year it looked like guys were stuck in cement because they were thinking rather than reacting. Football is not rocket science, yet some coaches act like it is so they make it hard for their players because they have to think too much. I've always thought there have been times we out coached ourselves by over preparing and having guys think too much on the field. Good teams line up and play. I hope our philosophy this year is... "Hey, here we are. Try to stop us cause we're going to knock your d*ck in the ground."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

In the last eight games, the Rams ranked fourth in rushing yards allowed per game (84.4), tied for fourth in sacks (26), fifth in points allowed (16.8) and tied for sixth in takeaways (15).
Projecting this for a 2015 full season, it becomes:
84.4 PPG - 52 Sacks - 33.6 Points allowed - +16 in takeaways. I'll Take it!

addition of Ayers brings an upgrade in talent and depth to the unit as a role player.
Which we needed ALL last year!!

Both also gave up their share of plays, and both are in the last year of their contracts. Johnson, who missed the first seven games because of a knee injury suffered in a preseason contest, could be pushed for a starting job by E.J. Gaines.
And that why I think we Go after either Jalen Collins or Marcus Peters!!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Rams are simplifying their defense
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_50636190-adae-5289-9e4c-d3d2cd62bd71.html

The streamlining process currently underway at Rams Park isn’t limited to the offense. Coach Jeff Fisher said the defensive playbook and scheme also are being simplified in preparation for the coming campaign.

“We did an awful lot,” Fisher said, referring to Gregg Williams’ first season as defensive coordinator. “We may have done too much at camp from an install standpoint.

“I think now that (Williams) has a good feel for what we have, and we have a better feel for what we have, that we can prune things down a little bit. And get good at a few things rather than be involved in too much defense.”

The simplified defense, combined with a second year together for Williams and the players, could mean a much-improved unit in 2015.

Although showing flashes of dominance, the Rams were average to below average in most major categories a year ago, finishing 17th in total defense, 14th against the run and 19th vs. the pass.

The idea, of course, is to carry over that strong finish to begin the 2015 season.

“Gregg going into his second year with the players and the system, our expectations are much higher for earlier in the year than they were (last season),” Fisher said. “Not that the expectations weren’t high.”

With the exception of defensive tackle Kendall Langford, who was released in a salary cap-related move, every starter and frontline reserve is back from last year’s squad.

The Rams have added to that already substantial foundation by bringing in defensive tackle Nick Fairley and linebacker Akeem Ayers in free agency. Those are the only two outside free agents signed by the Rams on either side of the ball so far this offseason.

“We actually targeted both Akeem and Nick,” Fisher said. “From a fit standpoint and a need standpoint, those were our top two defensive players (in free agency).”

Fairley replaces Langford as the third defensive tackle in the rotation. He comes $1 million cheaper than Langford — at $5 million, compared to the $6 million Langford would’ve earned this season — and potentially is more talented and athletic than Langford.

“Nick was injured last year; was in his view ready to come back and play the final game. He did not,” Fisher said, referring to knee problems that sidelined Fairley for the final eight games, with Detroit. “So since then he’s been doing nothing but working out. Changed his diet, his eating habits. His weight’s under control. He’s in great shape right now.”

As for those questions about Fairley’s overall level of motivation?

“He will admit that he probably didn’t buy into it as best as he could have early on in his career,” Fisher said. “There’s no doubt in my mind he’s buying into it now. He’s serious about his football.”

Ayers, meanwhile, will compete with veteran Jo-Lonn Dunbar for the starting job at strongside linebacker. The strongside ’backer normally plays only 35 to 40 percent of the time on defense, so the addition of Ayers brings an upgrade in talent and depth to the unit as a role player.

“He can play outside linebacker and rush,” Fisher said. “He runs well. And he did a great job for New England just as a stand-up rusher. He gives us another guy that hopefully can create mismatches from a collapsing-the-pocket standpoint.”

If the Rams make any additions in the secondary, it looks as if they will come via the draft. While noting there’s always room for improvement, Fisher likes his quality and his quantity in the secondary, beginning with starting cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson.

“You know, it’s like anything else. Technique-wise, everybody needs work regardless of position,” Fisher said. “I think that’s an area that we’re gonna focus on with both of ’em. Both made a lot of plays last year.”

“Can’t say enough about what (Gaines) did for us last year as a starter and as an inside player in the nickel,” Fisher said. “So we’re gonna have him come out and compete outside.

“Our expectation last year was that Lamarcus (Joyner) was gonna end up being the inside, third corner. And that took a little longer. Scheme was a little bit of an issue, then Lamarcus got hurt.”

Undrafted rookie Marcus Roberson got a little seasoning by necessity a year ago, and 2013 draft pick Brandon McGee makes it six corners with at least some NFL experience.

“What we’re looking to see now is we have to be watching Brandon McGee and the injury history,” Fisher said. “Brandon needs to prove to us he can stay healthy, because when he’s on the field, he can make plays, too.”

At safety, starters Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald made strides last year, with McLeod in particular much improved.

“Rodney gave up a couple jump balls that you don’t like to see happen but I thought Rodney really came on,” Fisher said. “Open-field tackling. Consistency from week to week was there. Reliability. Same thing with T.J.”

The depth chart here is heavy on strong safety types, but Fisher is looking forward to a full season with Mark Barron in his big safety/nickel linebacker role, and expecting Eureka High’s Maurice Alexander to show improvement over his rookie season.

BARNES IS BACK

Tim Barnes, a former University of Missouri player, agreed to terms on a contract that will keep him with the Rams. It’s a one-year deal with a maximum value of $1 million; Barnes is expected to sign it Tuesday.

Barnes, 26, was not tendered by the Rams as a restricted free agent this offseason, making him the equivalent of an unrestricted free agent. But all along, the Rams kept the door open that he could re-sign with them at a reduced rate.

Barnes, 6 feet 4 and 306 pounds, has played in 45 NFL games, mostly on special teams over three seasons with the Rams. But he did start four games at center to end the 2013 season in place of the injured Scott Wells.

At worst, Barnes provides needed interior line depth. At best, he can compete for a starting job at center and possibly guard.

I'm glad to see this.
I've never been a fan of overly complicated schemes. On "O" or "D".

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

They said that Ogletree and Ayers could both play MLB. When they draft Dawson they will have three that can play MLB;)