Rams are showing plenty of interest in QBs/USAToday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams are showing plenty of interest in QBs
Brent Sobleski , USA TODAY Sports

http://www.ksdk.com/story/sports/nf...re-showing-plenty-of-interest-in-qbs/7554683/

Sam Bradford appears to have reached the point of his career where the St. Louis Rams are considering quarterback alternatives. The Rams have been actively scouting multiple quarterbacks leading up to May's NFL draft.

The latest quarterback on the Rams' radar is Pittsburgh's Tom Savage. Savage met with the Rams Wednesday, according to ESPN's Adam Caplan.

Previously, the Rams were set to meet with Fresno State's Derek Carr after his pro day, according to NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah. The Rams were also one of the teams showing strong interest in Georgia's Aaron Murray.

The prevailing theme with each of these signal callers is none are generally considered first-round prospects worthy of either of the Rams' first-round selections. These are prospects with second- or third-round expectations.

Savage, in particular, has been a popular prospect as of late and continues to gain more interest around the league due to his big frame (6-4, 228) and strong arm.

Meanwhile, Bradford has two years remaining on his rookie contract after being the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft. Bradford's total cap hit over the next two seasons is $34.19 million. Bradford's play certainly hasn't warranted such an exorbitant price tag.

Bradford was playing well in 2013 before he season was cut short in Week 7 against the Carolina Panthers due to a knee injury. He needs to stay healthy this season in order to justify his $12.985 million salary in 2015. The Rams would only take a $3.959 million dollar cap hit if they decide to go in another direction.

And that direction could start by selecting a quarterback during May's draft to groom behind Bradford for one season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
They'd be stupid not to be grooming a QB period. They thought they had one, but he under performed, and that is why they are looking to get a QB in later rounds...to replace Austin Davis, not Sam Bradford. If it were flipped, we'd pick a guy in the top 2 rounds.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

you gotta love national media writers. they don't have a freaking clue about the rams.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's crazy not to be constantly looking to develop prospects at the QB position, whether Sam works out or not. If one develops, you always have the luxury of replacing your starter, or have a more than competent back up, or get top return through a trade. It should be a yearly practice to take a flyer on at least one QB through the draft or UFA.

WOW I had no idea Tom Savage was considered an NFL starting quality QB as a rookie

attachment.php

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me; no way I'm drafting a QB inside round 5.

Let's face it;
  1. If Sam goes down we aren't putting a rookie out there. It's Shawn Hill's gig.
  2. We have needs that rounds 1-4 can fill and be used every game.
  3. If Sam goes down, and I'm thinking succession plan, it's not a 3rd rounder I'm banking on to fill those shoes long term.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Let's face it;
  1. If Sam goes down we aren't putting a rookie out there. It's Shawn Hill's gig.
  3. If Sam goes down, and I'm thinking succession plan, it's not a 3rd rounder I'm banking on to fill those shoes long term.

I agree. I don't get why we want a young developmental QB now. Seems a waste of a pick. We've got one of the better backups in the league in Hill now - and if he goes down as well then the seasons really going to be in trouble when you're relying on your third string QB.

For the future? Sam Bradford is QB for the next 10 years.

If he gets hurt or his play regresses then you draft a first rounder next time round to replace him - someone who has the potential to start in this league - not a 5th round prospect who is a backup.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Let's face it;

You can get a starting caliber QB in the 3rd. Look at Nick Foles and that Seattle guy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I agree. I don't get why we want a young developmental QB now. Seems a waste of a pick. We've got one of the better backups in the league in Hill now - and if he goes down as well then the seasons really going to be in trouble when you're relying on your third string QB.

For the future? Sam Bradford is QB for the next 10 years.

If he gets hurt or his play regresses then you draft a first rounder next time round to replace him - someone who has the potential to start in this league - not a 5th round prospect who is a backup.
It's called a backup plan, insurance of sorts. SB is our QB but just in case he lays an egg in 2014, you don't want to be backed in a corner with the 2015 draft having to draft one high. You stir the pot a bit to see if any choice meat might be in there still in this year's draft. I think the Rams are getting there talent wise where they can spend a 5th rounder on such experiment but I agree that using a relatively premium pick such as a 2nd thru 4th rounder would be out of our wheel house at present.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I love Savage, he is one of my sleepers. Big, 6'-4" 225 strong arm (maybe strongest in the draft) and they say he is very coachable. As we sit now It will take our 10th pick of the 4th or maybe the 13th of the 5th if he falls that far.

Last edited:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Look I understand this, we need a back up plan for Sam Bradford - but we have a short term one.

So we need to either lock up a guy for the future as a back up, or if Bradford regresses/gets hurt with a big contract year coming up we need the franchise QB. You're more likely to get a franchise QB in the first two rounds than later than that (I know second round QB's have a strange history of being horrible for some reason). Of course you can get a gem in the 5th - but its less likely. That's why they're being picked so late.

So yeah, I like guys like Savage, or even Mettenberger or Carr. But I do think there are more pressing needs on this team than drafting a QB unless its gonna be a QB with potential to start - but that would really be a decision for next year if the worst were to happen (and then at least we'd be in a position where we'd be able to look at getting the franchise QB of the future in....again....).