Rams 7 Round Mock Draft - Edition 1 (101 ESPN/101sports.com)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Round 1 (6) Sammy Watkins, WR

Following a mock trade with the Atlanta Falcons – a team that recently expressed open interest in potentially trading up, which possesses intense interest in defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and one with distinctive ties to St. Louis Rams general manager Les Snead – St. Louis selects the top wide receiver on the board in Clemson’s Sammy Watkins.

Some may suggest that Watkins has no chance of being on the board at No. 6, but many draft analysts suggest otherwise. CBS Sports’ Rob Rang, for example, had Watkins going seventh to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as of April 1. In short, any and all of the following prospects could realistically go ahead of the aforementioned receiver: quarterbacks Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and David Carr; DE Clowney, outside linebacker Khalil Mack; and offensive tackles Greg Robinson and Jake Matthews.

At 6-foot-1, Watkins has plenty of size to thrive in the NFL, particularly when considering his loaded skill set. If you don’t think so, please refer to the resumes of former All-Pro six-footers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, among others.

The Rams utilized a No. 1 overall pick on quarterback Sam Bradford in 2010. The St. Louis front office insists that Bradford is their man going forward. With that said, it makes sense to provide him with the top pass-catching weapon on the market.

With a run game that looks ready to roll behind starting back Zac Stacy and a defense that should excel under the tutelage and aggressive approach of Gregg Williams, the Rams can help ensure that they are as well-rounded as possible by equipping their quarterback and passing game with a prospect who has Pro Bowl written all over him – one who is being lauded by some notable draft evaluators as the top receiving prospect since Julio Jones.

Some may balk at this selection, but when your top returning wideout caught only 40 passes (albeit in a run-heavy offense and with a backup quarterback much of the year), it seems within reason that the receiving corps continue to be fortified. Yes, the Rams are young at the position and do possess some nice talent there, but passing on Watkins when considering the lack of proven commodities in place seems silly, especially with the likes of Clowney and Robinson off the board already.

As for free-agent acquisition Kenny Britt, his one year deal worth just over $500,000 in guaranteed money equates to a prove-it-or-move-on contract. Those types of deals do not and should not impact the top end of the first round and a team’s big board, and won’t impact that of the Rams. ESPN’s Nick Wagoner served up an excellent column dealing with this topic here.

With St. Louis entering year five of Bradford’s tenure, it is time to arm him with the best option available at receiver and find out once and for all if No. 8 is the quarterback the Rams’ brass believes that he is.

Alternate selection: Jake Matthews, LT

Matthews has probably the highest floor of any player in this draft class and, thus, the lowest bust potential. St. Louis head coach Jeff Fisher maintains a long relationship with the Matthews family, and the Rams have shown obvious interest in the former Texas A&M standout.

In addition to his pick-and-play ability at left tackle, Matthews is well-equipped to start and succeed at right tackle or either guard spot.

(For the full seven round mock, please click the following link to 101sports.com. Hope each of you enjoy it):

http://www.101sports.com/2014/04/06/st- ... ition-one/

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Always a good read Shane.
Not sure about the 2 rbs.
I like Cunningham and Richardson as 2&3. Not sure how the coaches feel.

Would love to see 3 o linemen out of this draft.

Also like the corner Gilbert over haha.
Corner is our second greatest need after o line I feel. Not that safety isn't important. It just seems like a big drop off after jj & trumane.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Always a good read Shane.
Not sure about the 2 rbs.
I like Cunningham and Richardson as 2&3. Not sure how the coaches feel.

Would love to see 3 o linemen out of this draft.

I was surprised by the RBs also but he offered some sound reasoning. I'm thinking just one, but we'll see.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I was surprised by the RBs also but he offered some sound reasoning. I'm thinking just one, but we'll see.

That's a fact.
I was very surprised last year by the move up last year for TA.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Hi Shane,

Nice work as usual.
I know you will keep us apprised of any tidbits of information you hear of moving forward.

Thank you!

SierraRam

Recreational User
Good draft - I wouldn't complain, but Mojo's Mock vastly improves both lines and our secondary. I do like Watkins, but still, slight edge to Mojo...

fearsomefour

Legend
I would take Matthews over Watkins (I must post that 5 times a day) but certainly could do much worse at 6.
Love the CB and LB fortifying the D. Getting Jackson at that spot would be nice.
Love Fales. I have been hyping him for the Rams for months now. I like Fales a lot more than many QBs ranked higher than him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Interesting. I didn't know that Saffold was expected to play LG this year.

I'd take Matthews over Watkins all day long and twice on draft day. And unless there is some serious character or medical issues I don't know about, there's a snowballs chance in hell that DeAndre Coleman is still on the board that late.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate all the comments thus far. Thanks to everyone for your comments and interaction re: my mock.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I actually love what you did in the 2nd round and beyond. Great players and Jawuan James could be a steal. James is legit and I still don't understand why so many have him going as far as the 4th round.

I would be very disappointed if we went Watkins and Gilbert in the 1st round. Gilbert is extremely overrated with lots of holes in his game. Great athlete....yes, great football player....I don't think so.