Rams 53-man roster prediction: Running backs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you want backing up Todd Gurley?

• Tre Mason

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Malcolm Brown

• Aaron Green

• Chase Reynolds

• Terrence Magee

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams 53-man roster prediction: Running backs
gettyimages-491341044.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/21/rams-53-man-roster-prediction-running-backs/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 16 hours ago

In this series we will be predicting and breaking down each position, while getting down to the full 53-man roster. Here is our early pre-training camp roster, and we are going to continue on with the running back position.

Related:

2016 Rams training camp battles: Aaron Green vs. Malcolm Brown

Total running backs (7): Todd Gurley, Benny Cunningham, Tre Mason, Malcolm Brown, Chase Reynolds, Aaron Green, Terrence Magee
usatsi_8728079.jpg

Running backs who will make the cut (4): Todd Gurley, Benny Cunningham, Malcolm Brown, Chase Reynolds
The first two running backs will be Gurley and Cunningham. However, we don’t know how the rest of the backfield will play out. Mason was supposed to be the change-of-pace back behind Gurley, but he has since failed both on and off the field. So that leaves us with special teams guru Chase Reynolds, who doesn’t seem like he’s going to be overlooked anytime soon, as well as the battle between friends Malcolm Brown and Aaron Green. Realistically, you can only pick one of them, and we are going with the one who has already played in a regular season game for the Rams in Brown.

Running backs cut (3): Tre Mason, Aaron Green, Terrence Magee
There is a sad tale to be told when you mention the name Tre Mason. He was once a third-round pick who showed starter ability in the NFL, while also breaking all of Auburn great Bo Jackson’s records. Now, he is a player who seems to keep getting himself into trouble. Unfortunately for him, this Rams team has some pretty good competition, which is why the end is near for Mason.

Green could still make the roster if they somehow keep five bucks, but I see four being the most logical. Green will most likely be a prime candidate for the practice squad. The Rams could very well shock everyone and cut Reynolds, but it just wouldn’t be wise to predict that. Green could definitely crack the roster next year though if he does indeed miss out this season.

Related:

Buddy battle: RBs Malcolm Brown, Aaron Green remain friends while competing

As for Magee, the former LSU back, he was brought in as more of a camp body. He actually did end up making the Ravens active roster last year though. He could be in line for a stint on the practice squad if one of two things happen. Green gets swooped up and stolen away from the Rams, or the former TCU standout makes the final roster.

Most pivotal training camp battle at the position: Malcolm Brown vs. Aaron Green
Here at Rams Wire we have been going back-and-forth on this battle. It easily is the most pivotal, due to the fact that one of these two guys could be Gurley’s future backup. Cunningham is only signed to a one-year deal and that gives Green and Brown plenty of motivation to work and take over that backup job in the future.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Think you're pretty much on target with this one, especially with Harkey filling the FB role.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
First off Terrance McGee & Aaron Green have jersey numbers R. Gaines & Jordan Lomax.Never a good thing to be wearing the same jersey as another player the team unless it's college.
-- We Don't even know what is up with Tre & TJ right now.It will exciting to see how this all plays out.

I like Asron Green a lot though.Was fun to see him play in those college bowls. He is a straight up baller .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Think you're pretty much on target with this one, especially with Harkey filling the FB role.

Will see ? I'm not in the Chase Reynolds crowd.I think you fill your roster with ascending type players that can play special teams. I get Reynolds is a talent on special teams,but Bradley Marquez can fill that spot as well as Christian Bryant.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  1. Todd Gurley
  2. Benny Cunningham
  3. Malcolm Brown
Those are the three that I feel will make the team and now the question looms??? Will they keep 4? If so, Aaron Green will have to showcase the ability to play special teams to unseat Chase Reynolds or maybe the 4th running back is not currently on the Ram roster.

I don't hold out much hope for you and me and Terrance McGee.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Will see ? I'm not in the Chase Reynolds crowd.I think you fill your roster with ascending type players that can play special teams. I get Reynolds is a talent on special teams,but Bradley Marquez can fill that spot as well as Christian Bryant.

I think you're selling Reynolds value way short. I'll be very surprised if he's not on the team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think you're selling Reynolds value way short. I'll be very surprised if he's not on the team.

I think his value will be as a special teams coach in the future. He survives every year though. My thoughts are as long as he is on the team The Rams keep losing.It shows lack of depth ??

What are your thoughts on Bradley Marques ? I think he adds more value & is a ascending player.Then again there is a boat load of young talent at the WR position.
What are your thoughts on Christian Bryant ??

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I like Christian Bryant. He's going to be in the mix with Davis for the starting job, should be one of the more interesting battles in training camp. I also think the emergence of Bryant is why Donte Whitner has yet to be signed, waiting to wee how things develop in house before going outside of organization. As for Marques, I think he's going to be in a real battle to make the roster. The addition of Cooper and Thomas may put a squeeze on him, may come down to if Rams keep 5 or 6 WR on roster.

And I don't think keeping Reynolds shows a lack of depth, the opposite in fact, there's enough depth that they can afford to keep a Special Teams Ace who is in on about every ST play run.