Rams 2016 training camp primer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sean-Cordy-150x150-150x150.jpg

By Sean Cordy
Posted on July 17, 2016

Just a few years ago, the Los Angeles Rams looked like geniuses in the now infamous Robert Griffin trade as it allowed them to build the team with a boat load of first round talent. Ultimately, not much came out of the trade for either party involved. But now the Rams took the opposite approach, trading away their future for the present going by the name of Jared Goff.

It’s undoubtedly a bold move, and it needs to pay off immediately to save face. Coach Jeff Fisher hasn’t pulled together a winning season in his four years with the team, yet as late as June, he’s been in talks of an extension in hopes to keep some stability with this fluid roster.

This season is much of the same when the Rams were in St. Louis. There’s a more than competent defense with some blossoming stars, promise in the backfield (especially with Todd Gurley on the rise), and there’s yet another QB of the future via a trade. Yet, expectations are always just stretch too far and leave the Rams in the mud.

Offseason additions and subtractions

Additions: QB Jared Goff, DT Dominique Easley, DE Quinton Coples

Had the Rams stayed put with the 15th overall pick, this offseason would have been quite passive. But the move to the No. 1 spot has the Rams ready to climb the ranks of their division. The job is not his quite yet, but with a passing game ranked last in 2015 and a bit of animosity with at least one quarterback, Goff needs to have an immediate impact. Other than him, most of the additions are more complementary in nature but important nonetheless.

The Rams have arguably the best d-line in the league with Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn headlining. The additions of Easley and Coples to fill some backup roles now also provides some good depth, and should help the latter, in particular, revive his once promising career.

Subtractions: CB Janoris Jenkins, S Rodney McLeod, LB James Laurinaitis

The good news is that there were not many losses on offense, as it needs as much stability to grow. But the defense that’s been the stronghold of the team now faces some hurdles to maintain its elite status. Losing Jenkins was a near inevitability, as it was him or Trumaine Johnson that would leave as both demanded high contracts. McLeod was in a similar spot and now the secondary is down half of its high-level contributors. Finally, cutting ties with Laurinaitis was a really surprising move considering he hadn’t missed a game with the team in eight seasons and always notched over a hundred tackles.

22 SEPTEMBER 2013: Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin (19) takes St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins (21) and St. Louis Rams outside linebacker Alec Ogletree (52) for a ride during a regular season NFL football game between the St. Louis Rams and Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX.

Pivotal roster battles

QB: Jared Goff vs. Case Keenum vs. Nick Foles

It might as well be a competition between just Goff and Keenum considering there’s an estrangement with Foles right now. It doesn’t help that Foles couldn’t string together a performance better than 297 yards to open the season, threw seven touchdowns to 10 interceptions. Keenum at least had a winning record and had a TD-INT ratio of four to one. He’s the guy to beat right now as the official starter. But as long as the top overall pick has a serviceable camp, Goff will likely take the job.

TE2: Cory Harkey vs. Tyler Higbee

After disappointing seasons at tight end, the Rams have moved on from Jared Cook and are entrusting the full-time spot to Lance Kendricks. Now who takes over Kendrick’s role should be pivotal. The top two candidates have a good dichotomy running with Harkey the converted fullback and Higbee the converted receiver. Higbee is a bit of a wild card considering some unsettled issues, but if moving the ball through the air is the goal, he’s likely to take the job. But getting an additional blocker on the field with Harkey would benefit the progression of Gurley out of the backfield. This may end up as a co-op.

Secondary depth

As stated with the loss of Jenkins and McLeod, there’s been a big mix-up in the secondary. Aside from Trumaine Johnson and T.J. McDonald, the rest of the secondary has no more than two seasons of experience. Not only does that put a big responsibility on some young players, but the defensive line will be expected to pick up the pace even more this season.

Breakout stars/Potential cuts

Breakout stars: CB E.J. Gaines, WR Tavon Austin

Gaines is one of the most intriguing pieces for the Rams this year. As stated above, the secondary has its back against the wall with replacements with limited experience. He’s only been in the league two years and was out all last season, but his rookie campaign made quite the impression after he saw time as an interim starter. Starting 15 games in 2014, Gaines had 15 passes defended and two interceptions as an undrafted rookie. He shouldn’t have any issues replacing Jenkins.

The Rams’ receiving woes are well-documented at this point, having ranked last in passing yards last year. That should hopefully be remedied with Goff, but Austin’s role expands beyond the passing game. Last season he really hit his stride in the running game, rushing for 434 yards at 8.3 yards per attempt and four touchdowns. That’s backup RB-type production, not a wide receiver. He has only just begun showing what he can do for the Rams.

Potential cut: QB Nick Foles

It seems inevitable that one quarterback will be leaving Los Angeles and it’s almost assuredly Foles even after being with the team for just one year. The Rams swapped QBs with the Philadelphia Eagles last year which led to the Rams being able to pull off the Goff trade. There’s not much to lose parting ways with Foles. He would open $1.75 million in cap space. That would be an expensive clipboard holder.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like this reporter...I would rather listen/read him that Jim Thomas

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nice read.
The mistake on EJ is forgiveable. At least he knows who he is.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I like this reporter...I would rather listen/read him that Jim Thomas

The bitter old man act doesnt read very well. Why does he even cover the Rams? He certainly doesnt offer any insight to what is going on behind closed doors.

Firecap

UDFA
Name
Firecap

I guess, judging from this^, Chris Long wasn't a subtraction!! BS!!
I caught that too. Long will be missed mostly for his locker room presence.

Chris Long, my favorite player on the Rams I'm sorry to say was not a subtraction other then his leadership. On the field it was sad to watch ... after re-watching all the games in 2015 and focusing on Long later in the year, he was a shell of himself .... so was Laurinaitis after his arm injury, literally playing with one arm. Coples on an average year will outplay Chris I'm afraid to say.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I caught that too. Long will be missed mostly for his locker room presence.

Chris Ling needed to go. He was a distraction with The Rams.He never won crap !! He played & worked hard.
JL#55 was the real team leader & he needed to go as well.It is going to be nice to see who steps up !!
--Chris Long is not going to be missed by The Rams players,but maybe by the fans . He should do well in NE & maybe learn to win. I personally want to see him be a career losser !!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I frikken love how all these talking heads spout off about how the Rams "Traded away their Future" It's such an idiotic statement. Did they give up picks? absolutely! Did they destroy their future? I think not.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sean-Cordy-150x150-150x150.jpg

By Sean Cordy
Posted on July 17, 2016

Just a few years ago, the Los Angeles Rams looked like geniuses in the now infamous Robert Griffin trade as it allowed them to build the team with a boat load of first round talent. Ultimately, not much came out of the trade for either party involved. But now the Rams took the opposite approach, trading away their future for the present going by the name of Jared Goff.

It’s undoubtedly a bold move, and it needs to pay off immediately to save face. Coach Jeff Fisher hasn’t pulled together a winning season in his four years with the team, yet as late as June, he’s been in talks of an extension in hopes to keep some stability with this fluid roster.

This season is much of the same when the Rams were in St. Louis. There’s a more than competent defense with some blossoming stars, promise in the backfield (especially with Todd Gurley on the rise), and there’s yet another QB of the future via a trade. Yet, expectations are always just stretch too far and leave the Rams in the mud.

Offseason additions and subtractions

Additions: QB Jared Goff, DT Dominique Easley, DE Quinton Coples

Had the Rams stayed put with the 15th overall pick, this offseason would have been quite passive. But the move to the No. 1 spot has the Rams ready to climb the ranks of their division. The job is not his quite yet, but with a passing game ranked last in 2015 and a bit of animosity with at least one quarterback, Goff needs to have an immediate impact. Other than him, most of the additions are more complementary in nature but important nonetheless.

The Rams have arguably the best d-line in the league with Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn headlining. The additions of Easley and Coples to fill some backup roles now also provides some good depth, and should help the latter, in particular, revive his once promising career.

Subtractions: CB Janoris Jenkins, S Rodney McLeod, LB James Laurinaitis

The good news is that there were not many losses on offense, as it needs as much stability to grow. But the defense that’s been the stronghold of the team now faces some hurdles to maintain its elite status. Losing Jenkins was a near inevitability, as it was him or Trumaine Johnson that would leave as both demanded high contracts. McLeod was in a similar spot and now the secondary is down half of its high-level contributors. Finally, cutting ties with Laurinaitis was a really surprising move considering he hadn’t missed a game with the team in eight seasons and always notched over a hundred tackles.

22 SEPTEMBER 2013: Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin (19) takes St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins (21) and St. Louis Rams outside linebacker Alec Ogletree (52) for a ride during a regular season NFL football game between the St. Louis Rams and Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX.

Pivotal roster battles

QB: Jared Goff vs. Case Keenum vs. Nick Foles

It might as well be a competition between just Goff and Keenum considering there’s an estrangement with Foles right now. It doesn’t help that Foles couldn’t string together a performance better than 297 yards to open the season, threw seven touchdowns to 10 interceptions. Keenum at least had a winning record and had a TD-INT ratio of four to one. He’s the guy to beat right now as the official starter. But as long as the top overall pick has a serviceable camp, Goff will likely take the job.

TE2: Cory Harkey vs. Tyler Higbee

After disappointing seasons at tight end, the Rams have moved on from Jared Cook and are entrusting the full-time spot to Lance Kendricks. Now who takes over Kendrick’s role should be pivotal. The top two candidates have a good dichotomy running with Harkey the converted fullback and Higbee the converted receiver. Higbee is a bit of a wild card considering some unsettled issues, but if moving the ball through the air is the goal, he’s likely to take the job. But getting an additional blocker on the field with Harkey would benefit the progression of Gurley out of the backfield. This may end up as a co-op.

Secondary depth

As stated with the loss of Jenkins and McLeod, there’s been a big mix-up in the secondary. Aside from Trumaine Johnson and T.J. McDonald, the rest of the secondary has no more than two seasons of experience. Not only does that put a big responsibility on some young players, but the defensive line will be expected to pick up the pace even more this season.

Breakout stars/Potential cuts

Breakout stars: CB E.J. Gaines, WR Tavon Austin

Gaines is one of the most intriguing pieces for the Rams this year. As stated above, the secondary has its back against the wall with replacements with limited experience. He’s only been in the league two years and was out all last season, but his rookie campaign made quite the impression after he saw time as an interim starter. Starting 15 games in 2014, Gaines had 15 passes defended and two interceptions as an undrafted rookie. He shouldn’t have any issues replacing Jenkins.

The Rams’ receiving woes are well-documented at this point, having ranked last in passing yards last year. That should hopefully be remedied with Goff, but Austin’s role expands beyond the passing game. Last season he really hit his stride in the running game, rushing for 434 yards at 8.3 yards per attempt and four touchdowns. That’s backup RB-type production, not a wide receiver. He has only just begun showing what he can do for the Rams.

Potential cut: QB Nick Foles

It seems inevitable that one quarterback will be leaving Los Angeles and it’s almost assuredly Foles even after being with the team for just one year. The Rams swapped QBs with the Philadelphia Eagles last year which led to the Rams being able to pull off the Goff trade. There’s not much to lose parting ways with Foles. He would open $1.75 million in cap space. That would be an expensive clipboard holder.

Really poorly written article !!! A lot of half truths.

-- I'd say we could go back and pick Snishers draft picks. They had the NFL by the balls with there trade to Washington. To say they gave up even close to the same to get Jared Goff is a farce !!
The Rams have drafted well after year 1 when they had there own scouting team in place .There style of drafting in groups is what is going to set them apart at the top.
Example is Wichmann & CJ Gaines. They add depth & give the scouting a chance to make a mistakes on there grades.
--Snead has done well with trading back. A perfect example is The Rams traded back & still got Oharih Cooper & were able to add Mike Thomas .
--- I think mistakes by not trading back with the number 2 pick to draft G. Rob was a mistake. Trading up for Tavon & Joyner.I think it all works out in the end & I like all 3 players. They are a big part of the foundation coming into 2016.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Chris Ling needed to go. He was a distraction with The Rams.He never won crap !! He played & worked hard.
JL#55 was the real team leader & he needed to go as well.It is going to be nice to see who steps up !!
--Chris Long is not going to be missed by The Rams players,but maybe by the fans . He should do well in NE & maybe learn to win. I personally want to see him be a career losser !!

Sorry to say you couldn't be more far off in this opinion if you tried. It came as a shock to many of the players that Long was let go and he will be missed along with JL in the Locker Room. Chris is a truly fine young man and I'm happy to have met him. I wish him and his wife Jackie nothing but the best. A true class act.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I guess, judging from this^, Chris Long wasn't a subtraction!! BS!!

He only mentioned the notable cuts. Long didn't do anything for us last year. Still, he could have received a shout out.

I like how apparently Foles is in the QB battle, but Mannion isn't? Um, no. Foles name shouldn't have even been mentioned in that portion of the article.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Just a few years ago, the Los Angeles Rams looked like geniuses in the now infamous Robert Griffin trade as it allowed them to build the team with a boat load of first round talent. Ultimately, not much came out of the trade for either party involved.

I stopped reading after this. Just another reporter whining that the team didn't use every pick from the Robert Griffin trade the way they desired.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
he might have Gaines confused with Roberson.
Gaines is a huge question mark for me. Is the guy even back from injury yet? Meanwhile Roberson continues to improve

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Can you tell me how he was a distraction. IMO, Long never put himself above the team. He was and always will be a team player. The only thing he wanted was to win a championship or two. Playing on sub-par teams didn't help. The last couple of years have been hard because of injuries which are a big part of the game. IMO he will be a good role player for the NE. JL was a good leader and will be missed too, but like anyone in the NFL they are replaceable as some point.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
he might have Gaines confused with Roberson.
Gaines is a huge question mark for me. Is the guy even back from injury yet? Meanwhile Roberson continues to improve

This isn't getting enough pub... Roberson showed he can plan. Now with some experience and confidence lets hope he can continue to improve.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And how do you know that?
Just a guess.My point meaning in the huddle & a positive influence .He was a distraction . I know that because of his unprofessionalism.Just his mind set outside of football,instead of in the moment of the season.When you think of pranks more than winning it is a shame. True losser because he really doesn't give a shit.--/ Spoiled.His btother really is what a pro bowler is all about .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can you tell me how he was a distraction. IMO, Long never put himself above the team. He was and always will be a team player. The only thing he wanted was to win a championship or two. Playing on sub-par teams didn't help. The last couple of years have been hard because of injuries which are a big part of the game. IMO he will be a good role player for the NE. JL was a good leader and will be missed too, but like anyone in the NFL they are replaceable as some point.

That whole Cortland Fineagan thing with the pies was just stupid !!!
--Then him building a boarder over JJ & one other players car when they got back from Seattle was real childish. Not sure if that was a meaningful game ??
It might have been for the division though.