Rams 2016 Draft...Seen Differently

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
A lot has been made, especially by the National Lame Stream Media, about how the Rams "sold the farm" in order to move up in this years draft for a quarterback. I'd like to look at that notion a couple different ways:
  1. First by lining up the traded picks with the Titans, examining the true "cost."
  2. Secondly, by listing our new players acquired in the actual draft, and in subsequent undrafted free agency. (With a twist)
First of all, the Los Angeles Rams went into the 2016 draft as the #15 pick in the first round. All of us ROD-heads have lamented the Minnesota, Baltimore and San Francisco losses during the 2015 season. Possibly being the difference in making the playoffs last year.

But what would have been the result of a 10-6 wildcard last year? Probably staying the course. A first round elimination. All of us going into this season asking Keenum, Foles or Mannion?

Maybe our meltdown was a blessing in disguise. I know this idea has been expressed already. It is not a new revelation. But the underachieving allowed the Rams to drop far enough to fall into the #15 slot. Reaching-distance for a trade-up, when your name is Snisher. Certainly the price would have been too high at 20 or 22.
Titans Trade
As negotiated, the trade-up with the Titans to #1 cost the Rams two second round picks, (#43,45) a third, (#76) this year. Also the first and third round picks in 2017. In exchange, the Rams received (#1, 113 and 177) from the Titans.

The extra fourth and sixth rounders the Rams received in the trade seem to get lost in the reporting. It is as though the Rams received RGIII and the Titans were sent our bounty of picks from the 2012 trade. But Hair-n-Stache are wiser negotiators. In fact this was the Rams recouped from the Titans trade:
  • Jared Goff QB (1)
  • Pharoh Cooper WR (117 after trade down)
  • Temmarick Hemmingway TE (177)
  • Mike Thomas WR (190 extra pick from trade down)
I won't list the Titans picks from this year. They still have a 1 and a 3 next year. they did a little pick trading themselves, and seemed to do well.

It remains to be seen how any of these players are going to fare. But the Rams certainly did not make the same drawn out mistake the Redskins did in 2012. The Rams also came away from this draft with some impressive picks to go along with Goff.

2016 Rams Draft Through Different Eyes

So much is made of draft position, and whether a guy was over drafted, "a reach", "a steal" etc. Terms that are only speculative, and mean nothing years down the road. First rounders bust. Kurt Warner happens. EJ Gaines, etc.

I bet Hair-n-Stache don't pay much mind to media labeling of college players like this. They show it in their ballsy moves over the years. Not afraid to fail. It is all media pundit foolishness.

So with that in mind, and allowing for Snead trade downs, I thought I would list our draft capital for 2016 through different eyes:
  1. (1)Jared Goff QB
  2. (2)Tyler Higbee TE
  3. (2)Duke Williams WR
  4. (3)Pharoh Cooper WR
  5. (4)Aaron Green RB
  6. (4)Mike Thomas WR
  7. (5)Isaiah Battle T
  8. (6)Brian Randolph S
  9. (6)Josh Forrest LB
  10. (6)Temarrick Hemmingway TE
  11. (6)Morgan Fox DE
  12. (7)Nelson Spruce WR
  13. (7)Brandon Chubb LB
  14. (7)Marquez North WR
  15. (7)Michael Jordan CB
FA Signings: Paul McRoberts WR, Jordan Lomax SS, Jordan Swindle T, Ian Seau LB, Darreon Herring LB, Nicholas Grigsby S, Cory Littleton LB, Rohan Gaines S...and a couple others.

I know. I know. We gave away the farm in the trade up. There is no way we could have picked up all these guys. It was just some fantasy pipe dream I had. Like one of those pre-draft mocks, where guys go crazy adding extra picks.

But a guy can dream. It would have been nice to fill out our roster like this. Instead, as I have been listening to the wise sages at ESPN. This was our actual draft:

1. Jared Goff, QB. A small handed skinny guy, soon to bust. Don't even mention him in the same class with future Hall of Famers Marcus Mariotta and Jameis Winston.
  2. Nothin' until the end of the decade! The Rams are fools, with a depleted, talentless roster!
It hurts my eyes watching ESPN...maybe I'll just keep fooling myself that the Rams are making good moves. Maybe I'll keep looking through different eyes.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
A lot has been made, especially by the National Lame Stream Media, about how the Rams "sold the farm" in order to move up in this years draft for a quarterback. I'd like to look at that notion a couple different ways:
  1. First by lining up the traded picks with the Titans, examining the true "cost."
  2. Secondly, by listing our new players acquired in the actual draft, and in subsequent undrafted free agency. (With a twist)
First of all, the Los Angeles Rams went into the 2016 draft as the #15 pick in the first round. All of us ROD-heads have lamented the Minnesota, Baltimore and San Francisco losses during the 2015 season. Possibly being the difference in making the playoffs last year.

But what would have been the result of a 10-6 wildcard last year? Probably staying the course. A first round elimination. All of us going into this season asking Keenum, Foles or Mannion?

Maybe our meltdown was a blessing in disguise. I know this idea has been expressed already. It is not a new revelation. But the underachieving allowed the Rams to drop far enough to fall into the #15 slot. Reaching-distance for a trade-up, when your name is Snisher. Certainly the price would have been too high at 20 or 22.
Titans Trade
As negotiated, the trade-up with the Titans to #1 cost the Rams two second round picks, (#43,45) a third, (#76) this year. Also the first and third round picks in 2017. In exchange, the Rams received (#1, 113 and 177) from the Titans.

The extra fourth and sixth rounders the Rams received in the trade seem to get lost in the reporting. It is as though the Rams received RGIII and the Titans were sent our bounty of picks from the 2012 trade. But Hair-n-Stache are wiser negotiators. In fact this was the Rams recouped from the Titans trade:
  • Jared Goff QB (1)
I won't list the Titans picks from this year. They still have a 1 and a 3 next year. they did a little pick trading themselves, and seemed to do well.

It remains to be seen how any of these players are going to fare. But the Rams certainly did not make the same drawn out mistake the Redskins did in 2012. The Rams also came away from this draft with some impressive picks to go along with Goff.

So much is made of draft position, and whether a guy was over drafted, "a reach", "a steal" etc. Terms that are only speculative, and mean nothing years down the road. First rounders bust. Kurt Warner happens. EJ Gaines, etc.

I bet Hair-n-Stache don't pay much mind to media labeling of college players like this. They show it in their ballsy moves over the years. Not afraid to fail. It is all media pundit foolishness.

So with that in mind, and allowing for Snead trade downs, I thought I would list our draft capital for 2016 through different eyes:
  1. (1)Jared Goff QB
  2. (2)Tyler Higbee TE
  3. (2)Duke Williams WR
  4. (3)Pharoh Cooper WR
  5. (4)Aaron Green RB
  6. (4)Mike Thomas WR
  7. (5)Isaiah Battle T
  8. (6)Brian Randolph S
  9. (6)Josh Forrest LB
  11. (6)Morgan Fox DE
  12. (7)Nelson Spruce WR
  13. (7)Brandon Chubb LB
  14. (7)Marquez North WR
  15. (7)Michael Jordan CB
FA Signings: Paul McRoberts WR, Jordan Lomax SS, Jordan Swindle T, Ian Seau LB, Darreon Herring LB, Nicholas Grigsby S, Cory Littleton LB, Rohan Gaines S...and a couple others.

I know. I know. We gave away the farm in the trade up. There is no way we could have picked up all these guys. It was just some fantasy pipe dream I had. Like one of those pre-draft mocks, where guys go crazy adding extra picks.

But a guy can dream. It would have been nice to fill out our roster like this. Instead, as I have been listening to the wise sages at ESPN. This was our actual draft:

1. Jared Goff, QB. A small handed skinny guy, soon to bust. Don't even mention him in the same class with future Hall of Famers Marcus Mariotta and Jameis Winston.
  2. Nothin' until the end of the decade! The Rams are fools, with a depleted, talentless roster!
It hurts my eyes watching ESPN...maybe I'll just keep fooling myself that the Rams are making good moves. Maybe I'll keep looking through different eyes.
I like you more and more @Roman Snow. I feel the same way exactly. If they hit on Goff, the trade is gold....and I think they did. Higbee, Cooper, Williams, Spruce, etc, also have legit talent. If we get 3 difference makers out of this draft, it may end up being Snishers finest moment. Time will tell.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Titans Trade

• Jared Goff QB (1)

1. (1)Jared Goff QB
  2. (2)Tyler Higbee TE
  3. (2)Duke Williams WR
  4. (3)Pharoh Cooper WR
  5. (4)Aaron Green RB
  6. (4)Mike Thomas WR
  7. (5)Isaiah Battle T
  8. (6)Brian Randolph S
  9. (6)Josh Forrest LB
  11. (6)Morgan Fox DE
  12. (7)Nelson Spruce WR
  13. (7)Brandon Chubb LB
  14. (7)Marquez North WR
  15. (7)Michael Jordan CB

Love this post.

high-five.gif

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Jesus Roman, what a load of shit! What the fuck's WRONG with you?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Titans Trade

• Jared Goff QB (1)

1. (1)Jared Goff QB
  2. (2)Tyler Higbee TE
  3. (2)Duke Williams WR
  4. (3)Pharoh Cooper WR
  5. (4)Aaron Green RB
  6. (4)Mike Thomas WR
  7. (5)Isaiah Battle T
  8. (6)Brian Randolph S
  9. (6)Josh Forrest LB
  11. (6)Morgan Fox DE
  12. (7)Nelson Spruce WR
  13. (7)Brandon Chubb LB
  14. (7)Marquez North WR
  15. (7)Michael Jordan CB

Really nice post Roman!!

Fist Bump.gif

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

Titans Trade

• Jared Goff QB (1)

1. (1)Jared Goff QB
  2. (2)Tyler Higbee TE
  3. (2)Duke Williams WR
  4. (3)Pharoh Cooper WR
  5. (4)Aaron Green RB
  6. (4)Mike Thomas WR
  7. (5)Isaiah Battle T
  8. (6)Brian Randolph S
  9. (6)Josh Forrest LB
  11. (6)Morgan Fox DE
  12. (7)Nelson Spruce WR
  13. (7)Brandon Chubb LB
  14. (7)Marquez North WR
  15. (7)Michael Jordan CB

Wow that's got to be the strongest kool-aid in the universe your drinking. Give me a taste

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow that's got to be the strongest kool-aid in the universe your drinking. Give me a taste
I admit it is spiked. But it is interesting that many of those guys COULD have been drafted in the rounds I had listed and nobody would have batted an eye.

Two years from now, we will look back and 2/3 of those guys will have had their time in the league.

But something tells me we got some doozies.

Back to the koolaid.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I admit it is spiked. But it is interesting that many of those guys COULD have been drafted in the rounds I had listed and nobody would have batted an eye.

Two years from now, we will look back and 2/3 of those guys will have had their time in the league.

But something tells me we got some doozies.

Back to the koolaid.
God I hope your right

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I like you more and more @Roman Snow. I feel the same way exactly. If they hit on Goff, the trade is gold....and I think they did. Higbee, Cooper, Williams, Spruce, etc, also have legit talent. If we get 3 difference makers out of this draft, it may end up being Snishers finest moment. Time will tell.
Thanks Faceplant. I've been thinking about this for a few days now. It just seems like there is a lot of lazy reporting, and drive-by commentaries about the teams offseason.

All these guys are risks. And history tells us that most won't make it far. But I agree with you. Just in receiving targets alone, we have some intriguing talent. I think it is a matter of WHICH of these players will make up our talented group.

Can anyone imagine a youth movement here where we keep Britt for one or two more years, while some of these guys get up to speed on the PS? Then 2017 go:

Williams
Cooper
Tavon
Thomas
Spruce
North

And at TE, keep Kendricks around another year or two, then transition to:

Higbee
Hemingway
Harkey (h-back)
HOOMANAWANUI (sorry had to do it...you see what I did there?)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It hurts my eyes watching ESPN...
Very Nice Post! (y)

Your one lucky Ram fan Roman Snow ......if observing or listening to ESPN only hurts your eyes! This fading stinking rotten shell of its old self, is offensive to my entire being. I have no ideal :giveup: how they are making any $$$ :help:for Disney anymore.

Worst of all is the constant insulting :blah: of sports fans intelligence each & every moment they are still broadcasting:rant:.

Thanks to Rams On Demand, internet shows & tubes along with the NFL network these days I am rarely forced to partake of ESPN :sick:with the exception of the evening NFL broadcasts.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Great post Roman Snow. I thought the same thing, but could not write it as well thought out as yours.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I know I'm quibbling - but this is the internet, we quibble! - but I think you have Highbee a little high. I think 3rd would have been more appropriate for him than 2nd due to the legal issues. Buuuuut, if I'm gonna go in your direction, one could assume that had he not gotten injured last year, he would have put up the tape of a 2nd rounder! ;)

Ram65

Legend

Titans Trade

• Jared Goff QB (1)

1. (1)Jared Goff QB
  2. (2)Tyler Higbee TE
  3. (2)Duke Williams WR
  4. (3)Pharoh Cooper WR
  5. (4)Aaron Green RB
  6. (4)Mike Thomas WR
  7. (5)Isaiah Battle T
  8. (6)Brian Randolph S
  9. (6)Josh Forrest LB
  11. (6)Morgan Fox DE
  12. (7)Nelson Spruce WR
  13. (7)Brandon Chubb LB
  14. (7)Marquez North WR
  15. (7)Michael Jordan CB

Your like ratio is way up after this great post. I may not agree on all the draft number assignment but that is a heck of a way to look at it. I think it's a great way to value a draft down the road. It will be interesting to see what round these guys should have been picked after three seasons.

Let's visit this post next off season!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I know I'm quibbling - but this is the internet, we quibble! - but I think you have Highbee a little high. I think 3rd would have been more appropriate for him than 2nd due to the legal issues. Buuuuut, if I'm gonna go in your direction, one could assume that had he not gotten injured last year, he would have put up the tape of a 2nd rounder! ;)
I went back and looked. I probably had the running back Green too high. He may have toughness issues. But Higbee I think will be seen as a huge bargain in 2 years. I think Goff is going to feed him like a penned up swine.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Titans Trade

• Jared Goff QB (1)

1. (1)Jared Goff QB
  2. (2)Tyler Higbee TE
  3. (2)Duke Williams WR
  4. (3)Pharoh Cooper WR
  5. (4)Aaron Green RB
  6. (4)Mike Thomas WR
  7. (5)Isaiah Battle T
  8. (6)Brian Randolph S
  9. (6)Josh Forrest LB
  11. (6)Morgan Fox DE
  12. (7)Nelson Spruce WR
  13. (7)Brandon Chubb LB
  14. (7)Marquez North WR
  15. (7)Michael Jordan CB

Loved your post, Roman. So much so that I copied and pasted it to another board!

And I do love me some 80 proof kool aid, too. Lol.

Seriously? This just might be Snead's best draft, considering how much he acquired with the picks at his disposal.

Goff
Higbee
Cooper
Thomas

All look like desperately needed playmakers and BIG upgrades necessary to compete in the NFC West.

Kudos to S&F.

Now we can simply take BPA in '17 and beyond, I think. No more apparent need to flood a position group in upcoming drafts.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Loved your post, Roman. So much so that I copied and pasted it to another board!

And I do love me some 80 proof kool aid, too. Lol.

Seriously? This just might be Snead's best draft, considering how much he acquired with the picks at his disposal.

Goff
Higbee
Cooper
Thomas

All look like desperately needed playmakers and BIG upgrades necessary to compete in the NFC West.

Kudos to S&F.

Now we can simply take BPA in '17 and beyond, I think. No more apparent need to flood a position group in upcoming drafts.
Thanks, brotha'.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  1. (1)Jared Goff QB
  2. (2)Tyler Higbee TE
  3. (2)Duke Williams WR
  4. (3)Pharoh Cooper WR
  5. (4)Aaron Green RB
  6. (4)Mike Thomas WR
  7. (5)Isaiah Battle T
  8. (6)Brian Randolph S
  9. (6)Josh Forrest LB
  11. (6)Morgan Fox DE
  12. (7)Nelson Spruce WR
  13. (7)Brandon Chubb LB
  14. (7)Marquez North WR
  15. (7)Michael Jordan CB
FA Signings: Paul McRoberts WR, Jordan Lomax SS, Jordan Swindle T, Ian Seau LB, Darreon Herring LB, Nicholas Grigsby S, Cory Littleton LB, Rohan Gaines S
I see what you did there...Great post.....

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Great post Roman. Most of these guys won't make the team, but a few of them are going to, AND make a BIG difference. Not a doubt in my mind the WR corp. is going to be much better.