Ram Bytes: Try Austin Davis, please

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Bernie Miklasz
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_4cb4cf8f-6ba3-5ec3-ac41-54fc00a9cc2a.html

526f5e40939d8.preview-620.jpg

After filing a column and returning to my lair following the Cardinals' 3-1 loss in World Series Game 5, I decided to stay up even later and fire up the DVR to watch the Rams-Seahawks game.

A loss is a loss, but obviously there were a lot of positives to the Rams' performance. Their defense was exceptional, running back Zac Stacy was impressive (again) and the overall team attitude was sharp, edgy, and zealously competitive.

On the other side of the pigskin …

I'll keep this short and offer one observation:

Kellen Clemens is nifty, he competes like crazy, is a terrific teammate, works hard at preparation, and shows no fear on the football field.

But he isn't a starting-caliber quarterback in the NFL.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk here. But nothing in his NFL background suggests that it makes much — if any — sense to ride with him as a starter.

Clemens has started 13 games in his NFL career and is 4-9 as a starter. In the 13 starts he's completed 52.3 percent of his passes, has thrown four touchdowns and seven interceptions, and has a passer rating of 64.7.

Clemens' most extensive playing time came with the NY Jets in 2007. He started eight games, stepping in for injured starter Chad Pennington. The results were about what you'd expect: 52.3 completion rate, more interceptions (8) than touchdowns (5) and a passer rating of 64.7.

Clemens completed less than 50 percent of his passes in five of the 13 starts. The accuracy flaw is real, and it isn't going away, and you simply can't win with a quarterback who is so glaringly inaccurate.

Clemens entered the league in 2006. Here are the league-wide statistical markers for overall quarterback play since the start of 2006. The first number will be the league average; the second number will be Clemens' performance in the category.

Completion percentage: 60.7 percent … Clemens 51.6 pct.

Yards per attempt: 7.0 … Clemens 5.93

Touchdown/interception ratio: 1.42 … Clemens 0.47

Passer rating: 83.5 … Clemens 60.3

Sooner rather than later, the Rams need to take a look at Austin Davis to make a better read on his NFL future. The staff has to determine if Davis warrants a spot on the roster going forward, into 2014.

There's simply no reason to keep running Clemens out there. He has no upside. Does Clemens give you the best chance to win a game? That's what coach Jeff Fisher will probably say. But the easy counter to that is this: everything was in place for the quarterback to win a game and upset Seattle on Monday night, and he couldn't make plays to get it done.

I still don't understand the team's thinking with Davis. Rams coaches obviously liked him in the summer of 2012 when he made the squad as an undrafted rookie. Last offseason, Fisher went as far to declare Davis as the likely No. 2 quarterback for 2013.

In training camp this year, Davis fell out of favor. He didn't play as well as the coaches had hoped. He didn't seize the opportunity. I get that. But he still has more upside than Clemens. And Davis probably has more talent, too.

We already know what Clemens can do. There's a personal history of NFL play. We don't know what Davis can do, but it wasn't too long ago that he did enough to inspire coaches to give him an NFL roster spot.

Clemens has a history with Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who was the OC for the Jets during Clemens' time there. But that shouldn't be a factor. Schottenheimer has done such a poor overall job with this offense, his opinion shouldn't account for much at this point.

Once Davis gets acclimated, Davis should be given an opportunity. If he's lousy, so be it. What is he capable of? We don't know. But there's only one way to find out.

In a related note, some of you may be wondering …

“What about Brady Quinn? Why didn't you mention him?”

I just mentioned him. But someone else will have to volunteer to be the manager of the Brady Quinn campaign. I don't have it in me.

Thanks for reading …

— Bernie

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well said.

Just as ZS was an unknown factor, it made sense to start him because he had an upside where the other backs were a known factor. Good things can happen. I would say the same about Bailey. It's time to see what he's got. Couldn't hurt.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I still don't understand the team's thinking with Davis. Rams coaches obviously liked him in the summer of 2012 when he made the squad as an undrafted rookie. Last offseason, Fisher went as far to declare Davis as the likely No. 2 quarterback for 2013.

— Bernie
Join the club, Bernie. I still don't understand why DR was running up the middle for so long.... or why our CB's played 20yds off for 5 games.... or why they can't find a way to use TA and so sit him on the sidelines....

Hence, I have little confidence that Davis, or anyone other than Clemens, will see the field this season. Just more to scratch our heads about.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Clemens has a history with Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who was the OC for the Jets during Clemens' time there. But that shouldn't be a factor. Schottenheimer has done such a poor overall job with this offense, his opinion shouldn't account for much at this point.

:lol:

That was harsh.

iced

schotty's had some ups and downs.... but atleast hes made changes and adapted his personell - rather quickly at that. he did it by game 4 or 5 - a lot of nfl coaches stand stubborn and hope you "trust in the system" before admitting their flaws

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Sad, but really very true. And Fisher doesn't have an issue playing rookies or players with lack of experience. The numbers don't lie. Clemens is extremely average, at BEST.
Nobody wants to hate here but after watching another bad performance by Clemens last night, what do we really have to lose ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It does not matter at this point just like in 2009 when everyone wanted to see Keith Null over Kyle Boller and the debate became Null & Void!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It does not matter at this point just like in 2009 when everyone wanted to see Keith Null over Kyle Boller and the debate became Null & Void!
True. The backup is always the favorite player on the team. And then it's the backup to the backup...

WvuIN02

Starter
Join the club, Bernie. I still don't understand why DR was running up the middle for so long.... or why our CB's played 20yds off for 5 games.... or why they can't find a way to use TA and so sit him on the sidelines....

Hence, I have little confidence that Davis, or anyone other than Clemens, will see the field this season. Just more to scratch our heads about.

Well said, Stranger.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Kellen Clemens is nifty, he competes like crazy, is a terrific teammate, works hard at preparation, and shows no fear on the football field.
But he isn't a starting-caliber quarterback in the NFL.
Uh, yeah... that's why he's not starting.

Sooner rather than later, the Rams need to take a look at Austin Davis to make a better read on his NFL future. The staff has to determine if Davis warrants a spot on the roster going forward, into 2014.
This may not be a popular opinion, but the Rams haven't cashed in the season just yet. There's still 8 games to play. And if they thought Davis gave them the best possible chance to win, he'd be playing. I don't buy into the nepotism argument here. Fisher owes nothing to either Schottenheimer or Clemens.

In training camp this year, Davis fell out of favor. He didn't play as well as the coaches had hoped. He didn't seize the opportunity. I get that. But he still has more upside than Clemens. And Davis probably has more talent, too.
You know that, how? Without getting tagged as a coaching staff apologist, I feel it incumbent upon myself to say that nobody knows more than they do as it relates to who has more talent than whom on the team. They see them WAYYYY more than we do. If Clemens actually does worse, then I'm sure they'll change it up for no other reason than they have no other options.

:meh: Go to a nightclub and try your stand-up act there. Fisher has the final decision on who starts and who doesn't. If he sees that Clemens is struggling, Schottenheimer's opinion is going to mean very little.

Once Davis gets acclimated, Davis should be given an opportunity. If he's lousy, so be it. What is he capable of? We don't know. But there's only one way to find out
Once he gets acclimated, he'll be acclimated. He'll be given an opportunity if/when he deserves one or if/when Clemens absolutely tanks. One bad game with a few bad passes/interceptions doesn't mean it's time to switch QBs. If it did, then Bradford would have been yanked earlier this year. And I'm as curious as the next guy when it comes to seeing what Davis can provide, but I still maintain that these coaches, and this team, aren't in evaluation mode already.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It is true that Clemens is not the answer but I don't see how Bernie or nyone that watched the preseason thinks that there is a chance that Davis has an NFL future.

The WRs are struggling to know the plays, so what is better? A QB that has a decent grasp on the confusion that is Schotts million play play book, or a QB that is more on the same page of confusion with the WRs?

I really think that the Coaches expected Davis to take the next step, but it didn't happen. In fact, he regressed. Clemens gives the team the best chance because he can manage the game and lead from his knowledge of the scheme. Maybe if he gets some starts under his belt, the throws will improve and things slow down for him. I am sure he has an adjustment period and the Seahawks defense was a very difficult opener for Clemens to get his legs under him. I saw improvement in the second half. I say roll with him.

Giving up un Thad was dumb btw.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Essentially how I feel with Davis, he was given every chance to have that job, it was his to lose and he did just that.

He was great last year, took a huge step back this year. Maybe the time off has been good for him, but maybe not. Either way it's Clemons job right now, if the coaches feel that Davis can do better then he'll get a chance. If he doesn't play chances are there's a reason for that, and the coaches see these guys every day, so I'm going to trust them.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Fisher's show on 101 last night made it sound like Austin Davis is the number 2 until Quinn gets comfortable with the system. He didn't come out and say it but his words were something like..."Clemens knows the system and practices with these guys all the time, thats the advantage he has over Brady"...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm not giving up on Clemens, I think he was TOO hyped Monday .I don't think he's gonna put this team on his back but I do think he can contribute and will do better at giving us a shot slim though it is to make the playoffs.
IMO we only signed Austin Davis to be Clemens backup because he knew most of the terminology etc. so we wouldn't have to throw Quinn into the fire .
I don't expect Quinn AND Davis to be here at seasons end one will win the job before then , but as usual Bernie is knee jerking on the season , is only marginally better at writing a column than the average message board fan and has all the answers cuz of course his job aint on the line over the decision.

Quin was signed BECAUSE the coaches weren't sold on Davis ,that's clear .
I say give Clemens the reins and see,I think if our running game keeps perking he'll be fine.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
"Kell" gives the team the best chance to win, sorry Big Bernie. I don't two shits about stats and passer ratings...he's a backup for a reason.

The team is 3-5 right now, w/ winnable games ahead if the defense continues to play @ a high level.

I don't understand the fascination w/ the practice squad guy. Why would anyone play QB carousel in the middle of the season just to "see what he can do"? That stuff happens on winless teams w/ no hope or direction i.e. 2009 Rams.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Kell" gives the team the best chance to win, sorry Big Bernie. I don't two shits about stats and passer ratings...he's a backup for a reason.

The team is 3-5 right now, w/ winnable games ahead if the defense continues to play @ a high level.

I don't understand the fascination w/ the practice squad guy. Why would anyone play QB carousel in the middle of the season just to "see what he can do"? That stuff happens on winless teams w/ no hope or direction i.e. 2009 Rams.

Totally agree.

Davis went in to camp as the #2. Not only did he lose the job, but he didnt even earn a spot on the Rams practice squad. Miami signed him for a week.
And now there's a desire to "see what he can do"???

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Totally agree.

Davis went in to camp as the #2. Not only did he lose the job, but he didnt even earn a spot on the Rams practice squad. Miami signed him for a week.
And now there's a desire to "see what he can do"???

Well Davis did better than Clemens in camp, Clemens just had one game good enough for the good old boys system to pay off.

Also people want to see what he can do because you never know, remember Thad Lewis bounced around from place to place without every finding a home. Then he finally got a shot to play and he was actually pretty good. Not getting a shot doesn't mean the guy can't be good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well Davis did better than Clemens in camp, Clemens just had one game good enough for the good old boys system to pay off.

Also people want to see what he can do because you never know, remember Thad Lewis bounced around from place to place without every finding a home. Then he finally got a shot to play and he was actually pretty good. Not getting a shot doesn't mean the guy can't be good.

Thad stuck though with Cleveland for 2 years on the roster and the PS. Then was on Detroit PS. Davis only lasted 1 week on Miami PS, Rams didnt even want him on theirs

Sum1

Hall of Fame

I think the point is that the Rams had a chance to win the last game because of almost every factor EXCEPT the QB. I don't think the QB did anything to make you think that he gave the Rams a good chance to win had the defense and running game only been good and not great. Thus, if there is going to be abysmal QB play you may as well see if you have a legitimate future backup.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Clemens did not lose the game and in fact gave them a couple of chances to win it. The missed field goal and the last drive gave the Rams ample opportunity to win that game. How much more do you want from your back up who has not started a game in two years?