R.I.P Kenny Stabler

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Some of us older guys remember him from when he played QB for the Raiders.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/09/kenny-stabler-dies-at-69/

Kenny Stabler dies at 69
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 9, 2015

kenstabler.jpg
Getty Images

Kenny Stabler, the great Oakland Raiders quarterback known for his exciting style of play on the field and his colorful personality off the field, has died at the age of 69.

“We announce with great sadness that our father, Ken Stabler, passed away Wednesday, July 8 as a result of complications associated with colon cancer,” Stabler’s family said in a statement.

Known as The Snake, Stabler was voted NFL MVP in 1974 and led the Raiders to a victory in Super Bowl XI. But even more than those achievements, Stabler is remembered for some of the great moments that made him a truly unique figure in professional football history: The Holy Roller, in which Stabler fumbled the ball forward toward teammate Dave Casper, who recovered it in the end zone for a game-winning touchdown, was a chaotic play that caused the NFL to change its rules about forward fumbles. And the Sea of Hands was the most famous of Stabler’s touchdown passes, a lob into the end zone that Oakland’s Clarence Davis somehow caught in the end zone while surrounded by three Dolphins defenders, winning a playoff game for the Raiders.

After beginning his college career as a backup to Joe Namath, Stabler became the starter for Bear Bryant’s Alabama team in 1966 and led the Crimson Tide to an 11-0 season. He was drafted by the Raiders in 1968 but began his career as a backup to Daryle Lamonica and George Blanda and didn’t become the Raiders’ starter until 1973. That year he made the first of his four Pro Bowls.

Stabler’s bad knees limited him for much of his NFL career, and as he started to wear down with age, he was traded to the Houston Oilers in 1980. After two seasons in Houston, he finished his career in New Orleans, where he played from 1982 to 1984.

Although Stabler has not been elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, you can’t tell the story of pro football without including Kenny Stabler.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTxjFPNPwdA

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/09/ken-stablers-family-donates-brain-for-cte-study/

Ken Stabler’s family donates brain for CTE study
Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2015

stabler.jpg
Getty Images

In 2012, quarterback Ken Stabler led a group of 74 plaintiffs in a lawsuit against the NFL for injuries suffered due to concussions while
playing. Although the concussion litigation is close to being settled, research continues regarding the connection between football and long-term health consequences.

To that end, Stabler’s family has announced that his brain and spinal cord will be donated to Boston University’s Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Center to support research for degenerative brain disease in athletes.

The family has asked that, in lieu of flowers, donation be made to the XOXO Stabler Foundation to support research of colon cancer and sports-related head trauma. Additional information will be available at Stabler’s Facebook Fan page and via the XOXO Stabler Foundation.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Always have a soft spot for those old lefties. He was fun to watch. RIP Snake.:giggle:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great QB and even better demeanor....Sad very sad, my prayers and thoughts are with the former great field general and his family!

Big Willie

Starter
I was a huge Steeler fan in the 70's as a child and hated those Raiders. But I also respected the hell out of their players and competitiveness. With southern drawl and winning mentality, Stabler was one helluva player and the games with the Steelers were always legendary. RIP Mr. Raider.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Sad news , can still remember Kenny Stabler , from my childhood , it was always the Raiders vs Steelers , and I hated the Steelers

I was never really a Raiders fan either , but I did always like their bad boy reputation in the 70's

(n)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was very sorry to hear about Stabler passing-away! My Late twin brother was a big Raider Fan, and each year we would Make season bets on which team would have a better record! I, of course, had the Rams and he the Raiders! In 1979 I lost a 'Cherry' 1959 Chevy Impala to my brother betting against the Raiders!!
The 1970's were Huge years for both the Raiders and the Rams, and a lot of money changed hands between us at the time!!:LOL::D I Laugh now, but it was serious then!! The Memories 'the Snake' brings back!!
My Deepest Sympathies go out to the Stabler Family!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I was watching this unfold on Twitter. First it was leaked that he had died, then the original source retracted it, then the media reported it, then they retracted it, and now it's official. Being in such haste to be the first to report something nowadays makes for some not only REALLY shitty journalism, but also shitty scruples as well. Rest in peace, Snake. You were one of the really cool QBs of the day.

Paper Reports Death of Former Raiders QB Ken Stabler – Retracts Story
date.png
July 9th, 2015
user.png
Matt Loede
folder.png
Posted in News
http://www.raidersgab.com/2015/07/0...former-raiders-qb-ken-stabler-retracts-story/

The Tuscaloosa News this afternoon ran with a tragic story about the death of former Raiders Super Bowl winning QB Ken Stabler – now a few hours later, they have issued a statement basically saying ‘whoops’ and that they have yet to confirm the story.

“Preparing to report on an unconfirmed but wide and persistent rumor that former Alabama football player Kenny Stabler had died, tuscaloosanews.com inadvertently and briefly published an incomplete story that we were preparing in the event that the story was confirmed. At this time, it is not confirmed. Unfortunately, other news outlets used social media to share the report. We regret the error and any emotional distress caused to Stabler’s family, friends and fans.”

Um – it looks like if ‘The Snake’ is indeed still alive (there’s no for sure either way right now), he’s got a pretty good case on his hands after the paper ran with the story.

A number of websites picked up the story as well that the 69-year-old passed away – and now are also back peddling

SierraRam

Recreational User
Those Raider teams of the mid-70's were the most exciting team to watch not named 'GSOT'.

The Snake should be in the Hall for being a gifted, true leader of a great franchise at their peak.
images
images

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
My favorite QB in the league when he was playing. So very sad about this.

Moostache

Rookie
Very saddened by this news...really hit hard that he was one of the first QBs I saw and admire as a kid...him, Staubach, Fouts, even Tarkenton to a lesser degree. Never liked Bradshaw or Pastorini from that era

Makes my own mortality ever more real and impending realizing that the heroes of my youth are reaching the end and I still so vividly remember watching them in their primes...getting old sucks!

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
was very sorry to hear about Stabler passing-away! My Late twin brother was a big Raider Fan, and each year we would Make season bets on which team would have a better record! I, of course, had the Rams and he the Raiders! In 1979 I lost a 'Cherry' 1959 Chevy Impala to my brother betting against the Raiders!!
The 1970's were Huge years for both the Raiders and the Rams, and a lot of money changed hands between us at the time!!:LOL::D I Laugh now, but it was serious then!! The Memories 'the Snake' brings back!!
My Deepest Sympathies go out to the Stabler Family!!

Great story Dave. Shocked with this news. My brother is also a huge Raiders fan and over the years of watching the Snake I too came to appreciate not only the player but the Man as well. I haven’t spoken to my brother about this yet, he and his wife just had their first child on Monday but I’m sure he’s saddened by his passing.

My Deepest Sympathies go out to the Stabler Family.

The Sea of Hands
nfl_stabler_kh_576x324.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great story Dave. Shocked with this news. My brother is also a huge Raiders fan and over the years of watching the Snake I too came to appreciate not only the player but the Man as well. I haven’t spoken to my brother about this yet, he and his wife just had their first child on Monday but I’m sure he’s saddened by his passing.

My Deepest Sympathies go out to the Stabler Family.

The Sea of Hands
nfl_stabler_kh_576x324.jpg
Thanks! And this is a Great photo T-Rex!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He passed way too soon. So sad.

I always hated him... cause he was sneaky good. Plus he was a lefty. If he wasn't so talented I wouldn't have "hated" him so much... Respect for the Snake. He was a great player and character.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In 1979 I lost a 'Cherry' 1959 Chevy Impala to my brother betting against the Raiders!!

Wow, you guys really took your bets seriously. What would you have gotten had the Rams won?

Makes my own mortality ever more real and impending realizing that the heroes of my youth are reaching the end and I still so vividly remember watching them in their primes...getting old sucks!

So true. This also holds true as I watch my favorite musicians pass on.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wow, you guys really took your bets seriously. What would you have gotten had the Rams won?

So true. This also holds true as I watch my favorite musicians pass on.
IF I had won I would have won $1000 ( I had $1200 wrapped-up in the car)

And I feel the same way about my favorite Musician, Nat King Cole was my 1st great Lose, Wes Montgomery, Elvis, the list goes on and on!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
RIP Snake!!! Damn shame....69....I guess that's a good number for him....See, it's not about numbers....It's about game situation play...

69superbowl

Rookie
Yup, as a Ram fan living in the Bay Area in the 70s I loved watching Stabler. Especially how he overshadowed and punked the hapless forty whiners in that era. RIP Snake.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RIP Snake.... I remember watching those OAK-KC battles... great games! He was a lot of fun watch!