R.I.P George Michael

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38432862

Ex-Wham! singer George Michael dies

_93125723_wham_86_pa.jpg

Singer George Michael has died at the age of 53, his publicist has said.

The star, who launched his career with Wham! in the 1980s and continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".

Thames Valley Police said South Central Ambulance Service attended a property in Goring in Oxfordshire at 13:42 GMT on Christmas Day.

Police say they were treating the death as unexplained but there were no suspicious circumstances.

In a statement, Michael's publicist said: "It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period.

"The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time. There will be no further comment at this stage."

On Instagram, Sir Elton John posted a photograph of himself with Michael, writing: "I am in deep shock. I have lost a beloved friend - the kindest, most generous soul and a brilliant artist. My heart goes out to his family and all of his fans."

Thames Valley Police said: "At this stage the death is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious.

"A post-mortem will be undertaken in due course. There will be no further updates from Thames Valley Police until the post-mortem has taken place."

Michael, who was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in north London, sold more than 100 million albums throughout a career spanning almost four decades.

He first found fame with his schoolfriend Andrew Ridgeley in duo Wham! before going on to release solo albums, including the multi-million selling Faith and follow-up Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1.

It outsold Faith in the UK but led to Michael losing a court case with record label Sony over his frustration over how the album has been marketed.

His talents as a singer, songwriter and music producer made George Michael one of the world's biggest-selling artists.

Blessed with good looks and a fine singing voice, his stage presence made him a favourite on the live concert circuit as he matured from teen idol to long term stardom.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_9hfHvQSNo

But there were times when his battle with drugs and encounters with the police made lurid headlines that threatened to eclipse his musical talents.

Michael scored seven number one singles in the UK with songs including Careless Whisper and Faith, and won three Brit Awards and two Grammys.

But as his career faded, Michael faced headlines for the wrong reasons.

In October 2006 he pleaded guilty to driving while unfit through drugs and was banned from driving and in 2008 he was cautioned for possession of class A drugs, including crack cocaine.

In September 2010 Michael received an eight-week prison sentence following an incident the previous July in which he crashed his Range Rover into a shop in north London.

Duran Duran referred to the the so-called "curse of 2016" - following the deaths of David Bowie, Prince and Rick Parfitt - posting on their official Twitter account: "2016 - loss of another talented soul. All our love and sympathy to @GeorgeMichael's family."

A documentary film entitled Freedom was also due for release next March.

In 2011, Michael postponed a series of concerts after being taken to hospital for treatment for pneumonia.

After treatment in a Vienna hospital, he made a tearful appearance outside his London home and said it had been "touch and go" whether he lived.

Doctors were said to have performed a tracheotomy to keep his airways open and he was unconscious for some of his spell in hospital.

After years of refusing to be drawn on speculation about his sexuality, Michael disclosed he was gay in 1998 after being was arrested in a public toilet in Beverly Hills, California, for engaging in a lewd act.

• Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (with Wham!) - 1984
  • Freedom (with Wham!) - 1984
  • Careless Whisper - 1984
  • I'm Your Man (with Wham!) - 1985
  • The Edge of Heaven (with Wham!) - 1986
  • A Different Corner - 1986
  • I Knew You Were Waiting For Me (with Aretha Franklin) - 1987
  • Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (with Elton John) - 1991
  • Five Live EP (with Queen and Lisa Stansfield) - 1993
  • Jesus To A Child - 1996
  • Fastlove - 1996

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's messed up. I didn't really care for his music, but he was a talented artist.
Also not a fan of people close to my age going peacefully. Too much mortality to face.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His last Christmas...........sorry I'll get me coat. Sad about Rick Parfitt as well, 2016 had been a brutal year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think of an artist like this. Do I recognize their work? Does it take skill to replicate it? Does it stand the test of time? Well much of George Michael's work did. I grew up on R&B and Funk so George Michael wasn't in my wheelhouse, but it's amazing how many songs of his I know...pretty well. I can recognize the composition and see how well the songs have withstood the test of time. RIP, George Michael

As for 2016...

Seriously, you'd think the Rapture was starting with how many people have checked out this year...

All this without a worldwide Spanish flu or mass forcing people to listen to Bieber or Hillary Duff...

The Rams offense is so bad it's causing the end times... Wow.

Save us! Hire Payton already!!!

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's messed up. I didn't really care for his music, but he was a talented artist.
Also not a fan of people close to my age going peacefully. Too much mortality to face.

He must have been sick?

He might have passed peacefully, but at 53, something else was going on.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He must have been sick?

He might have passed peacefully, but at 53, something else was going on.
I dunno. Reports said he hadn't been ill.
Heart failure? At 53? Everybody get screened.
Like, for real.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Like, for real.

Guess we'll find out.

But, even in 2011 to be "touch and go" with pneumonia sounds like immune deficiency issues. That would have been in his late 40's.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
RIP George Michael - dude had some cool hits with his buddy Ridgly.

Roller skating with a chick to Careless Whisper in the 3rd Grade - Check

Anyway. It's gonna get worse as far as celebrity deaths go cause think about it. We still have lots of great artists and talents in their late 70's and early 80's.

Everyone that we grew up with has gotten old
I spent the last two years documenting all my heroes and they were all in their 70's. There was a few times that were really tough like went to see Seymour Cassel. This should have been a great day but instead he was not all himself until we stsrted talking film. I remember Seymour Cassel as a young guy in Cassevetes films , but he was 80 when we met him. He was alone too in a nursing home. It's a total shame too. He should be remembered now and not just when his face rolls across the "remembrance" end of the year things when their parade all those who have passed. Anyway

Here is Seymour in his better days:
image.jpeg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Or when they're even younger than you.

Reports said he hadn't been ill.

This is the last known photo of him taken on September 14. His face is swollen up like he was on prednisone, a type of steroid.

ad_229979100.jpg

Reminds me of Jerry Lewis who took those same meds because of a heart condition.

jerry-lewis.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In 2011, Michael postponed a series of concerts after being taken to hospital for treatment for pneumonia.

But, even in 2011 to be "touch and go" with pneumonia sounds like immune deficiency issues. That would have been in his late 40's.

@CGI_Ram I was thinking that same thing.

But seeing that pic of him with a bloated face dispells that I think.

I just searched and he hasn't performed since October of 2012. Since he's a guy who can sell out stadiums anywhere he goes I think it's very possible he's been battling something.

Either way it's too young and it's sad.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/george-michael-cause-death-revealed-9981432

George Michael died of natural causes, a coroner has ruled.

Careless Whisper star George died of natural causes from dilated cardiomyopathy with myocarditis and fatty liver, a coroner has said.

Oxfordshire's senior coroner Darren Salter said in a statement: "Inquiries into the death of George Michael have been concluded and the final post mortem report received.

"As there is a confirmed natural cause of death, being dilated cardiomyopathy with myocarditis and fatty liver, the investigation is being discontinued and there is no need for an inquest or any further inquiries."

The coroner added: "No further updates will be provided and the family requests the media and public respect their privacy."

Dilated cardiomyopathy is a disease of the heart muscle, which causes the muscle to become stretched and thin, which affects how blood can be pumped around the body.

In some cases, it can be an inherited disease, but other causes of dilated cardiomyopathy include viral infections, uncontrolled high blood pressure, excessive drinking or existing problems with the heart valves.

Myocarditis is inflammation in or around the heart, which is usually caused by a viral, bacterial or fungal infection.

There are two types of fatty liver: non alcoholic fatty liver where there's a build up of fat around the liver and is usually seen in people who are obese or overweight, and alcoholic fatty liver, caused by excessive drinking.

The 53-year-old Wham! star was found dead at his home in Goring-on-Thames on Christmas Day by partner Fadi Fawaz.

Police initially called the death unexplained but not suspicious after an initial post mortem was inconclusive.

An official finding into his cause of death had been delayed while the coroner looked at toxicology test results, which can take several weeks to be delivered.

George's former partner Kenny Goss said last week that he believed the popstar's body simply gave up.

In an exclusive interview with the Sunday Mirror, Kenny said: “I can’t say for sure but I think his body just gave up. All these years, it was just weak."

Now that the coroner's report is in, George's family and loved ones will finally be able to plan a funeral.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Like, for real.

Screening only works for those people who have calcium in their cholesterol/plaque in their arteries. I had the screening and nothing showed up so they reported 0% which only means there isn't calcium in my plaque deposits. Wasn't cheap at that time either. Wish they could identify before testing who could benefit from the test.

After 50 theres so many tests that make sense. Annual physical, bloodwork, eye test, PSA, poop tube test, etc.

Last edited: