R.I.P. Buddy Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://deadspin.com/buddy-ryan-is-dead-at-82-1782729706

Buddy Ryan Is Dead At 82
Samer Kalaf

fhuooyesasplonfvcqql.jpg

Photo: AP

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59l0x6Zy3Z0

Former Philadelphia Eagles coach and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan has died. He was 82.

Ryan was a defensive genius of his era. He utilized the 46 defense, which stacked the box with eight players and pushed opponents to pass. The gamble of a scheme was easier to execute when Ryan had Mike Singletary at middle linebacker, but when it worked, it was unstoppable.

Ryan’s work with the 1985 Bears resulted in the single greatest NFL defense of all time:

Buddy Ryan's 1985 Bears D had four shutouts, counting playoffs. There were three shutouts in the entire 2015 NFL season, counting playoffs. - Michael David Smith‏@MichaelDavSmith

Ryan was also involved in notable moments that didn’t feature him showing off his defensive prowess. There was the Eagles game in 1987 where he ran up the score against Tom Landry’s Dallas Cowboys:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpWPKktFjlo

And the time he tried to punch his offensive coordinator, Kevin Gilbride:

Though Ryan had been out of football since 1995, his loud mouth and defensive prowess live on in the form of his two sons, Rex and Rob. Rob joined Rex on the Buffalo Bills this season, and the two told MMQB’s Jenny Vrentas that they hoped their father could see them on the same team this fall:

VRENTAS:What does your dad think about the two of you coaching together?

ROB: He’s struggling (health-wise). That’s another reason…

REX: …we’re going for broke, man.

ROB:Because, who knows? He’s not going to be able to watch us coach for much longer, I don’t think. But hopefully he can see this one, because we have got big plans. Bring Belichick on. We got him.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Jeff Fisher got his start through Buddy Ryan. I'm sure we will hear from him today.

The Rams defense today has the influence of Buddy Ryan. R.I.P.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And the time he tried to did punch his offensive coordinator, Kevin Gilbride:
I saw that live....
That was too funny, cause Buddy was old then. Kevin was vindicated later as he was Eli Mannings QB coach/OC and his style of calling plays (very aggressive passing offense) lead to a SB win.
Buddy system lives on in his two sons and in the many players that he influenced. Our own Jeff Fisher. Pressure busts pipes...and destroys offensive schemes.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2016-06-28 11:19 AM | TheRams.com
Jeff Fisher on the Passing of Buddy Ryan
facebook@2x.png
twitter@2x.png

600x350-AP_8609140143.jpg

Los Angeles Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher on the Passing of Buddy Ryan

"Today is a difficult day as I remember my friend and mentor, Buddy Ryan. Buddy gave me my coaching start in this league and for that I am forever grateful. His knowledge, passion for football and the love he had for his players and coaches are traits that have shaped and influenced so many careers, including my own. I will always be thankful for the time that I was privileged to spend with him. Our thoughts and prayers are with Rex and Rob and the entire Ryan family."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Buddy Ryan was a Truly Great Coach! His Sons will never match him! R.I.P. Buddy!!(y)

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
R.I.P Buddy Ryan
He's got great company upstairs.
image.jpeg

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I saw a few videos on the news here in the Philly burbs and all three they showed had Fisher standing next to Buddy.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I enjoyed watching Buddy Ryan coach and his personality was great for the game. He and Bum Phillips added flavor to the NFL and I wish there were more coaches like them today. God be with you coach and may he bring your family peace from your loss.

gettyimages-52636620.jpg

buddypunch.gif

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Buddy was a good coach with a nice concept,and that is it. I have watched about 15 Bears games from 1983 to 1988 recently....and well, they had the the most awesome players, especially D line, and all the QBs were still doing 7 step drops---that is why they won. Buddy didn't accomplish that much. After he left they still had the best D. After OTis Wilson got hurt and Wilbur left they dropped off a bit. Nothing against Buddy, but he wasn't the reason they won the super bowl, I don't care what Ditka said. I lived in Chi-town. Buddy was hype.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fun stats on Buddy Ryan's '85 Bears defense(the best defense i ever saw BTW)

-Allowed 12.4 points /gm
-Allowed 258.4 total yds/gm
-Defense allowed 22 total TD's in 16 regular season games. Do the math. The opposing offenses? :giveup:
-64 QB sacks
-34 INT's
-Scored 3 safeties
-Allowed 1,319 yards rushing, 3.7 avg/rush (82.4 yds/gm) and only 6 rushing TD's
-Allowed 2,816 yards passing, 6.3/pass (176 yds/gm) and only 16 passing TD's