Quarterbacks on the move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Arizona is an interesting team in need of a QB. Do they go for, Smith or will they prefer the stronger armed Bradford? Do they push hard for Cousins?

I would take Bradford off the table, sorry I refuse to believe he can stay healthy and Smith will have plenty of suitors, Cousins too, Arizona with Johnson coming back will be set up nice for a veteran QB, IMHO, Cardinals will draft a QB, however, I could see Alex Smith in Arizona.

fearsomefour

Legend
Even an undrafted free agent pick up. I, truly thought Mannion may be decent. and I know..it was one game, but....a backup player is just that, and one game could cost the team everything. If your backup can't win one game, then if thrust into in a prolonged situation, we are freaked. I was tremendously disappointed to see Sean's game, when the only reason I watched the game, in essence. was to see Sean.

I'd rather have an upside rookie, or a competent vet, if we need one, God forbid.
I hear ya.
I would not judge a player by one game. Particularly his first start. I know he has been around for a couple of years but still his first start.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would take Bradford off the table, sorry I refuse to believe he can stay healthy and Smith will have plenty of suitors, Cousins too, Arizona with Johnson coming back will be set up nice for a veteran QB, IMHO, Cardinals will draft a QB, however, I could see Alex Smith in Arizona.
Probably depends who the coach/OC is and what other pieces there are.
I agree about Smith maybe being the number one guy in FA.
I think Cousins get paid in Washington.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That something is Daniel Snyder.
He has proven to be a pretty bad owner.
But, he would be a fool tomlet him go.

I could see a scenario of them acquiring Alex Smith, drafting their QB of the future and letting Cousins walk.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vikings fans are gonna freak if Keenum is not signed. Zimmer and Spielman are in a bind. If they keep both Sam and Case, it's an easy bet that Sam beats Case out in camp. Then they will have three QBs on the roster. I am not a Bridgewater fan. I would trade Teddy. Keenum is they only completely healthy QB they have.

It would be funny if they traded Sam and Case returned to his old turnover ways. But how do they keep three? It will be interesting to see what Keenum gets offered.

Arizona is an interesting team in need of a QB. Do they go for, Smith or will they prefer the stronger armed Bradford? Do they push hard for Cousins?
Problem is that they can’t trade any of them. They will all be UFA once season is over.
I think you’re right about the fan base but unfortunately they don’t make the decisions. I think a lot of Keenum success is smoke and mirrors and he is more like Osweiler
I’d guess they try and keep Case and one of the other 2 but can’t see how the math would work out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even an undrafted free agent pick up. I, truly thought Mannion may be decent. and I know..it was one game, but....a backup player is just that, and one game could cost the team everything. If your backup can't win one game, then if thrust into in a prolonged situation, we are freaked. I was tremendously disappointed to see Sean's game, when the only reason I watched the game, in essence. was to see Sean.

I'd rather have an upside rookie, or a competent vet, if we need one, God forbid.
I don’t think it’s fair to judge Mannion on that game. He really didn’t have much to work with.
That said, I think that they must think they have something in Allen as they protected his roster spot all season
Mannion going in to last year of deal. Not a bad time for a replacement

nighttrain

Legend

may just be Allen our backup QB next season
train

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
If Foles gets the Eagles into the Superbowl I guarantee someone will try to trade for him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I hear ya.
I would not judge a player by one game. Particularly his first start. I know he has been around for a couple of years but still his first start.
I don't even really disagree, but one game may be all he gets. He has to play better.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
You guys haven't talked about the best FA QB
tumblr_na9vvl6QNJ1rcm57jo1_250.gif

I mean look at that young Philip Rivers release.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Problem is that they can’t trade any of them. They will all be UFA once season is over.
I think you’re right about the fan base but unfortunately they don’t make the decisions. I think a lot of Keenum success is smoke and mirrors and he is more like Osweiler
I’d guess they try and keep Case and one of the other 2 but can’t see how the math would work out.

Did they have Bridgewater for 5 years already? Seems it was only three. Well then they have bigger problems. Teddy B. Wasn't impressive, Bradford was but has the injury flag. And I agree that one season is not enough to trust Keenum. He still floats a lot of balls and chucks it up for grabs

I think either one of Bradford or Keenum goes because neither want to backup. Teddy B may feel the same. But I can't see him commanding a big contract and may not have a choice.

If Minnesota has the cap space, or can create it they should dump all three and sign Cousins. Suddenly they would be the NFC favorites for years to come.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Minnesota is in position to be a very desirable landing spot for Smith, or Cousins. They are more likely to win a Super bowl or a few with the way their roster is. I don't think Arizona is as close right now. Cousins went to MSU so he probably doesn't mind a colder climate. But, I don't know what their cap looks like.

I could see the Vikings following with Keenum and Bridgewater, or Sam and Bridgewater though.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I could see the Vikings following with Keenum and Bridgewater, or Sam and Bridgewater though.

Have to see the health on Bradford, have a feeling he might retire. The last go round was bad and I know I would not count on him for anything besides maybe being a backup, but I would have to see him in preseason.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This 2018 draft might be known in NFL history as the draft where most all QB's were over-drafted & QB REACHES came off the draft boards fast & hard.

In this scenario the Rams are in a position to take advantage of this probable event:sneaky:. Snead can cease the moment to secure his team a very talented Defensive Player.... Corner, Edge Rusher & Nose Tackle for Wade. Maybe even another defensive star like Aaron Donald type hit:D. Am I too overly optimistic here?:cautious:
I hope your right, and Snead has been a miracle worker in previous Drafts!
I'm curious to see how much Snead and McVay pay attention to SPARQ Scores of the Players coming out!! They seemed to, last year, pay a lot of attention to Cone Drill scores and Short/Long shuttles scores! Players we drafted Ranked High in SPARQ scores, but especially in these areas!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/19/will-another-team-make-a-run-at-drew-brees/

Will another team make a run at Drew Brees?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2018

Saints quarterback Drew Brees has said, repeatedly, that he plans to stay with the team for which he has played for 12 years. The Satins, so far, have said nothing about the process for signing Brees to a new contract.

Here’s the process, as a practical matter. The Saints eventually will decide what they can/will pay to Brees, and they’ll offer it to him. (He’ll count at least $18 million against the team’s cap in 2018, regardless of whether he re-signs.) In the interim, other teams will be able (despite the rarely-enforced tampering rules) to make sure agent Tom Condon realize what else may be out there for Brees, if he chooses to make leave a tree.

Surely, it would take a lot more than the Saints would offer to get Brees to leave. But with Brees, an astute businessman far closer to Peyton Manning than Tom Brady on the “it’s not my job to manage your salary cap” scale, declaring his intention to stay put, maybe he’s testing the team to see whether a lowball offer will be extended, based on his public statements of an intention to stay put.

Brees will know, if he doesn’t already, what another team (or teams) would pay. And he’ll know the moment the Saints communicate their last, best offer whether he’ll be sticking around.

When Brees signed a one-year extension before the 2016 season, he made it clear that he wouldn’t be signing another one. Apart from the fact that he never negotiates during football season, when he’s all-in and laser-focused on the task at hand, Brees surely wanted to see where the market goes before gauging his own value.

So what is his value? Matthew Stafford (also represented by Condon) makes $27 million per year, and he’s never won a playoff game. Derek Carr makes $25 million a year, and he’s never played in a playoff game. What is Brees worth in comparison to them?

He turned 39 on Monday. But he’s showing no signs of wear and/or tear. He could play at least two more years at a high level, maybe longer.

Other teams without a franchise quarterback realize these dynamics (if they don’t, they need new decision-makers), and they undoubtedly are factoring Brees into their potential plans for 2018. Setting aside the teams with no real chance to contend at a high level in 2018 (Browns), let’s consider the teams that already could be making discreetly known to Condon the amount of cash they’d deposit into Brees’ coffers.

Broncos: They need both a quarterback and, perhaps more importantly, a leader. A guy who can pull the locker room together, holding players accountable on both sides of the ball. Peyton Manning did that. Brees is one of the few currently in the NFL who can.

Cardinals: They desperately need a quarterback. (First, they need a coach.) And with running back David Johnson, receiver Larry Fitzgerald, and a roster that generated an 8-8 record despite a slew of injuries, Brees could be the ingredient to a potential Super Bowl run.

Jets: While they need plenty of pieces to become contenders, Brees would lift them to a higher level, instantly. While it may not be enough to get them past the Patriots, it would be fun to watch.

Jaguars: If they don’t make it to the Super Bowl (or if they make it and lose), the Jags could decide that the key ingredient to getting over the hump will be getting a new quarterback. A better quarterback. A first-ballot Hall of Fame quarterback. A Drew Brees.

Dolphins: They could have had him 12 years ago, but they decided to trade for a guy with a wrecked knee over signing a guy who was recovering from shoulder surgery. Though Ryan Tannehill remains the guy in Miami, would coach Adam Gase feel differently if Brees was interested in doing what the Dolphins didn’t want to do in 2006?

Vikings: Yes, the Vikings. If faced with the prospect of tagging Case Keenum at $23 million for 2018, how much more would they pay for the guy who led the Saints back from 17-0 in the second half? It would be a ballsy, all-in move, identical to the one that the Vikings made nine years ago, when they signed Brett Favre and nearly got back to the Super Bowl. With a balanced team on both sides of the ball, Brees could be the difference.

Despite the word salad that you (hopefully) just consumed, it remains unlikely that Brees will play for another team. Until he does, however, the chance of a late-career change of venue lingers. And the possibilities for Brees changing teams for the second time in his career remain fascinating.