Quarterbacks on the move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I figure Garoppolo and the '9ers will work out a long-term deal this offseason - probably something like the Andy Dalton contract (6 years $96 million).

Keenum is an interesting one, and I think he depends partly on where Shurmur ends up. Vikings will have quite the decision to make between him, Bradford and Bridgewater... I could see them saying "Thanks for all the fish" to Keenum and Bradford and giving Bridgewater a 3-year deal with reasonable money, like $8 million/year, and then Keenum hits the open market. He'd fit well in Jacksonville, I think, but I'm still tying Alex Smith to them in 2018. If Shurmur is in fact the next Giants HC, he won't follow, but if Shurmur goes to 'Zona I could see him bringing either Case or Sam with him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If the jets let him walk, absolutely. I'm not sure of his contract situation, though. He's not the future for any team. I believe he's getting up there in age, but he's proven you can win with him.
AZ is in QB purgatory at the moment. I'd take him over Gabbert or Santon

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What does KC get in a trade for Smith? A 2nd rounder? A 1st??

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
What does KC get in a trade for Smith? A 2nd rounder? A 1st??
At his age? I doubt a 1st even comes into the conversation. Maybe a 3rd and a 4th - can't imagine he nets more than Garoppolo did. Then again, Cleveland was apparently ready to trade a 2nd and 4th (I think?) for AJ frickin' McCarron, so who knows.

Jags' 2nd rounder will be at the end of the round, so I think that probably would net them one Alex Smith.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The two big movers (potentially) are Brees and Cousins. Both have the ability to help other teams solve their QB position, as does Smith. Keenum might do that too, although I think it's just as likely he gets paid and then can't live up to it with a lesser roster. But you also have Bradford, who might end up finally living up to what all the teams seem to think he is.

I like this draft class, too, you have options at the top and some great depth.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At his age? I doubt a 1st even comes into the conversation. Maybe a 3rd and a 4th - can't imagine he nets more than Garoppolo did. Then again, Cleveland was apparently ready to trade a 2nd and 4th (I think?) for AJ frickin' McCarron, so who knows.

Jags' 2nd rounder will be at the end of the round, so I think that probably would net them one Alex Smith.
Had Garoppolo been on an open market, he surely would have brought in a bigger haul. Was weird how they dumped him at last minute. Thing with Smith is that only a team who feels he can push them over the top, would make a play for him. And with KC paying Mahomes on the rookie deal, its not out of the realm to keep Smith.
So I think he could bring in a bigger haul than he deserves.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Had Garoppolo been on an open market, he surely would have brought in a bigger haul. Was weird how they dumped him at last minute. Thing with Smith is that only a team who feels he can push them over the top, would make a play for him. And with KC paying Mahomes on the rookie deal, its not out of the realm to keep Smith.
So I think he could bring in a bigger haul than he deserves.
Possibly. I've heard so many conflicting reports on who offered what for Garoppolo... I'm not sure a guy who started two games in the NFL would have gone for more than (at the time) the first pick in the 2nd round.

KC seems to want Mahomes to take the starting job next year, and Smith would get them some decent picks before the draft. I'm gonna stand by my prediction that he goes either to Jacksonville for their 2nd-rounder or Arizona for theirs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm gonna stand by my prediction that he goes either to Jacksonville for their 2nd-rounder or Arizona for theirs.
Started with a 3rd or a 4th an hour ago, his stock is rising already!
Lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Possibly. I've heard so many conflicting reports on who offered what for Garoppolo... I'm not sure a guy who started two games in the NFL would have gone for more than (at the time) the first pick in the 2nd round.

Yeah the 2nd round pick was appropriate for him. Lotta people trying to make it look like the Pats got fleeced or lost their future hall of fame QB, but the truth is the dude is 26 and just finished his first season as a starter with 7 TDs and 5 INTs.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a really nice fit for Shanny. But he also lucked out playing QB for that dude. He owes Belichick eternally for not moving him to Cleveland.

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
I see Sam Darnold to Miami, Bridgewater stays, Keenum to Cards, Bortles stays put, Cousins to Denver, Taylor stays in Buffalo, Eli stays in NJ, Smith to Cleveland and Bradford to Jets and leaves Washington with Baker Mayfield. WOW, I'm dizzy.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
Obviously you left off the injured Quarterbacks in Wentz, Watson and our very own Brandon Allen for example.....The Bills will part ways with Taylor I could see Mason Rudolph in Buffalo just makes sense as to the rest, Keenum has to stay in Minnesota you would have to think, if not, he'll be making some coin elsewhere...Overall round and round she goes and where she stops, nobody knows!
What’s the word on Johnny Manziel? I assume he has very low chances...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What’s the word on Johnny Manziel? I assume he has very low chances...
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tannehill is back in Miami

Good point.

I am just not sure he’s a favorite down there. Might be their best of available options... but fans seem okay with him moving on.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
God keep our land glorious and free!
Lol true dat!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We need a backup QB, if the one game Mannion showed us is the real Mannion. He did not look good, at all.

fearsomefour

Legend
We need a backup QB, if the one game Mannion showed us is the real Mannion. He did not look good, at all.
Not a lot to spend on it but I generally agree.
Mannion did some ok things too.
But, he hasn't played much which is what he would need to develop. Now, that may come
pretty quickly for him, a few games to see marked improvement. That can happen with some backups.
Problem is if Goff is down for an extended period the team is rolling the dice on a guy that has no track record.
The Rams can't spend a lot on a back up.
Is a lower cost vet FA more of a value than Mannion?
Not sure and depends who I suppose.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Obviously you left off the injured Quarterbacks in Wentz, Watson and our very own Brandon Allen for example.....The Bills will part ways with Taylor I could see Mason Rudolph in Buffalo just makes sense as to the rest, Keenum has to stay in Minnesota you would have to think, if not, he'll be making some coin elsewhere...Overall round and round she goes and where she stops, nobody knows!

Vikings fans are gonna freak if Keenum is not signed. Zimmer and Spielman are in a bind. If they keep both Sam and Case, it's an easy bet that Sam beats Case out in camp. Then they will have three QBs on the roster. I am not a Bridgewater fan. I would trade Teddy. Keenum is they only completely healthy QB they have.

It would be funny if they traded Sam and Case returned to his old turnover ways. But how do they keep three? It will be interesting to see what Keenum gets offered.

Arizona is an interesting team in need of a QB. Do they go for, Smith or will they prefer the stronger armed Bradford? Do they push hard for Cousins?

The Ramowl

Starter
I understand that some teams might be desperate for a QB, but at that point who would be delusional enough to want Bradford ?
I don't think Brees goes anywhere, the Saints have all the pieces right now and he can still play.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not a lot to spend on it but I generally agree.
Mannion did some ok things too.
But, he hasn't played much which is what he would need to develop. Now, that may come
pretty quickly for him, a few games to see marked improvement. That can happen with some backups.
Problem is if Goff is down for an extended period the team is rolling the dice on a guy that has no track record.
The Rams can't spend a lot on a back up.
Is a lower cost vet FA more of a value than Mannion?
Not sure and depends who I suppose.
Even an undrafted free agent pick up. I, truly thought Mannion may be decent. and I know..it was one game, but....a backup player is just that, and one game could cost the team everything. If your backup can't win one game, then if thrust into in a prolonged situation, we are fucked. I was tremendously disappointed to see Sean's game, when the only reason I watched the game, in essence. was to see Sean.

I'd rather have an upside rookie, or a competent vet, if we need one, God forbid.