QBs in Focus: Against the Blitz & Against Pressure

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Steve Palazzolo | May 21, 2015
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/21/qbs-in-focus-against-the-blitz/

QBs-in-focus-blitz-300x225.png

We had some fun last summer breaking down quarterback play from every angle, so we’ve decided to dig into the database again to review the 2014 season. One of the beauties of collecting data on every play of the season is the ability to then isolate each player’s strengths and weaknesses. This series will take a look at how quarterbacks performed in various situations, looking beyond just the overall grades that are posted on the site.

As always with PFF grades, it’s important to remember that we are isolating the quarterback’s role in the play from everyone else. We are evaluating the decision making and the throw, not necessarily the result. A great pass that gets dropped by a receiver receives the same credit it would have if the pass was caught, while an ill-advised pass into coverage that is dropped by a linebacker is downgraded as if it was intercepted. It’s important to remember this distinction when diving into the grades.

Here’s a look at how quarterbacks fared against the blitz in the 2014 season.

*Minimum 200 drop-backs to qualify
*Playoffs Included
*All grades are normalized so that the NFL average is 0.0 for each category.

Which QB was Blitzed most often?

QB-blitz-pct.png

-After posting the worst PFF grade against the blitz in 2013, it’s no surprise that teams caught on and blitzed Mike Glennon more than any other QB in the league.

-Russell Wilson and Cam Newton once again find themselves among the most-blitzed QBs.

-Many of the league’s best QBs pull up the bottom of the list, including Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees.

Best/Worst vs Blitz

QB-grade-vs-blitz.png

-Want to know why Peyton Manning took a step back in 2014? Look no further than his work against the blitz that saw him rank third-worst in the league. Historically, teams have been afraid to blitz Manning, but we may see more of it in 2015.

-No QB performed better than Andrew Luck against the blitz, including a league-high 18 touchdowns against only three interceptions.

-Philip Rivers was right there with Luck from a grading standpoint and his 119.2 passer rating ranked second in the league.

Best/Worst vs No Blitz

QB-grade-no-blitz.png

-No surprise to see many of the top-graded QBs at the top of this list, including Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees.

-Blake Bortles is at the bottom of both blitz lists, highlighting his rookie struggles.

-Both Eagles QBs, Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez, ranked in the bottom half of the league against a traditional rush.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hBsaozv.jpg

We had some fun last summer breaking down quarterback play from every angle, so we’ve decided to dig into the database again to review the 2014 season. One of the beauties of collecting data on every play of the season is the ability to then isolate each player’s strengths and weaknesses. This series will take a look at how quarterbacks performed in various situations, looking beyond just the overall grades that are posted on the site.

As always with PFF grades, it’s important to remember that we are isolating the quarterback’s role in the play from everyone else. We are evaluating the decision making and the throw, not necessarily the result. A great pass that gets dropped by a receiver receives the same credit it would have if the pass was caught, while an ill-advised pass into coverage that is dropped by a linebacker is downgraded as if it was intercepted. It’s important to remember this distinction when diving into the grades.

Here’s a look at how quarterbacks fared under pressure in the 2014 season.

*Minimum 200 drop-backs to qualify
*Playoffs Included
*All grades are normalized so that the NFL average is 0.0 for each category.

Who Faced the Most Pressure?

QB-pressure-pct.png

– The QBs that hold the ball longer tend to face the highest percentage of pressure, and that’s generally the case at the top of the list. Robert Griffin III had the fifth-highest time to throw at 2.94 seconds while Russell Wilson was first at 3.18 seconds.

– On the other end, the faster the QB can get the ball out of his hand, the less pressure he’ll face and that’s why Peyton Manning and Andy Dalton faced the lowest percentage of pressure as they got rid of the ball in 2.25 seconds and 2.41 seconds, respectively.

– Including the playoffs, Tom Brady’s 2.36 seconds in the pocket was the second quickest behind Manning, yet he still managed to face very close to the league average when it comes to pressure (32% vs. NFL avg of 33.4%).

Best/Worst Under Pressure

QB-pressure-grade.png

– In perhaps his best season as a pro, Ben Roethlisberger was the league’s best when pressured. He threw 11 touchdowns against one interception under pressure.

– Damage control was the name of the game for Ryan Tannehill who faced the eighth-highest percentage of pressure in the league, yet managed to rank third when normalized. For a quarterback facing that much pressure, his seven touchdowns, four interceptions, and 76.7 passer rating could have looked much worse.

– For the second year in a row, Eli Manning finds himself on the bottom end of the grades when pressured, though he faced the sixth-lowest percentage of pressure in the league.

Best/Worst with No Pressure

QB-no-pressure-grade1.png

– No surprise to see the No. 2 player in the PFF 101 sitting atop the charts. Aaron Rodgers was dominant when given time to throw.

– Even in a clean pocket, Blake Bortles still had his struggles as a rookie. His passer rating of 84.9 wasn’t bad, but he had some help from his receivers as his grade did not match up to that number.

– Jay Cutler was one of the rare cases that saw him struggle in a clean pocket just as much if not more than he did when pressured.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd foles doesn't play better than Davis Lord help us all.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
So, according to these reports Austin Davis is better than Nick Foles?

Similar, Davis is better than Foles in 2 of 4 categories, but they're fairly close in all. But you could get that by looking at basic stats. Both had the same Y/A, INT%, TD% last year, Davis completed more of his attempts.

But according to "stats" Davis was better than Bradford was in the second half of 2012, and the first half of 2012, and the first 4 games of 2013, hell most of his career.

FRO

Legend
Man Foles ranks below average on everything. Good thing I don't put too much stock in PFF.

Alan

Legend
Foles had a bad year in 2014 and of course his stats are going to reflect that.

I'm just happy we don't have Kaepernoodle as our QB who looks even worse. In addition to being a big douchebag.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Similar, Davis is better than Foles in 2 of 4 categories, but they're fairly close in all. But you could get that by looking at basic stats. Both had the same Y/A, INT%, TD% last year, Davis completed more of his attempts.

But according to "stats" Davis was better than Bradford was in the second half of 2012, and the first half of 2012, and the first 4 games of 2013, hell most of his career.
Let's just start Davis

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you have these stats for 2013?
I haven't found an article from 2014 of the same subject matter from them yet, but I'll see if I can find something.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
With a elementary school age OL Nick Foles will be taught to get rid of that ball in a limited amount of time. Even in "13" Foles was best in comp% when he got rid of the rock early, whether it was short or a long ball most of his guys won in fights and jump balls. We have the guys to win those same fights (especially if Quick is totally healed).

Keeping Foles upright for the season with this OL is our season in a small glass. Hoping improvement follows our starter as this year is a prove it year for us also. Most of us feel better with Foles over Bradford and his record of injuries. I'm hoping my old FSU QB can do a miracle with Foles (Weinke). Especially with his footwork (throwing off backfoot) and his ability to read presnap and get an early release. Stats show the longer Foles holds the ball the worse things can get. He must learn to trust his keys and stay clean.

Personally I'm super excited with the talent coming up in next years draft at our key position. Penn,Michigan and Ohio STATE all have QB's we'd love to have with time as a backup to learn the position. Others also in the mix as its a LONG way off and don't want to pour cold water on 2015 yet. Foles must work very hard in a system that is built for his skillset. He has nothing to rest on. He must attain the next level as he will never be a Manning or Luck . We should be happy with Eli or Flacco type results. (I would) Hope Gurley is'nt forced into service but only brought in when his blocking is up to pro level and hopefully we can start fast and bring Gurley in after the bye and really shock other teams as our young OL should start to Gel by then.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have been critical of the Foles deal because he is an average talent. That said, I understand the reason for the deal. Foles has a better arm than Davis but struggles reading and adjusting, so makes plenty of bad throws. There is a reason Kelly preferred both Bradford and Sanchez to Foles.
So, the Rams should be find if they have done enough to win games with average QB play....or maybe a better way to say it is with a QB without a great skill set.
The fact Foles is cheap makes it a low risk for the Rams.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Let's not forget WHY Foles had such a down year in 2014....

The OL that was among the best in the NFL in 2013 was a mess in 2014 and as Rams fans, we know all the words to every verse and chorus to the "Rhyme of the Offensive Line"

It's why we drafted so many OL this draft.

This is what we know about Nick Foles: With protection and weapons in a coherent system that features the run... This guy can be as devastating a weapon at the QB position as ANYONE in the league. Period. Bar NONE. 2013 wasn't a fluke.

So, we can either...focus on his 2014 where he didn't have all of that...or we can GET him what he had in 2013 where he was damn near unstoppable.

I'm all for Option B. Get him what he needs and let's ROFLSTOMP the NFL and fill our basket with Lombardis....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have been critical of the Foles deal because he is an average talent. That said, I understand the reason for the deal. Foles has a better arm than Davis but struggles reading and adjusting, so makes plenty of bad throws. There is a reason Kelly preferred both Bradford and Sanchez to Foles.
So, the Rams should be find if they have done enough to win games with average QB play....or maybe a better way to say it is with a QB without a great skill set.
The fact Foles is cheap makes it a low risk for the Rams.

All that ever really mattered to me concerning the trade is, Foles is better than Sean Hill and Austin Davis.