QB Controversy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I have to agree with V3. I know the area is much smaller but his mobility outweighs arm strength issues in the red zone IMO, and there have been many QBs with average arm strength who were successful in the red zone.

Of course there are always exceptions, and outliers to the norm. But, generally a guy with his soft arm, and lack of experience isn't going to be elite at reading coverages and playing around his lack of arm strength. He's shown me nothing to this point to convince me otherwise. SHOW ME.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I won't argue about Bradford being injury prone, we do have to be cautious about depth regardless of what anyone believes about Bradford.

But even though I agree with your logic of thinking long term, quarterback is just one position. As a fan, first and foremost, I would hate to see another coaching/GM turnover or another reboot/rebuild. I also believe that our young receivers need to be given their best chance to improve.

People can say what they want about Tampa's defense, we won as a team yesterday. The more the Rams win as a team, the closer they are to that super bowl, albeit some time in the future :)

As a fan, though I do agree with you, I would like to see what Davis can do against Dallas. But as has already been pointed out, Fisher knows a lot more about this team that I will ever glean.

Finally regarding the Sean Hill situation and not directed at this post, but rather offered as an insight. He actually had a house in Missouri before he signed with the Rams. It could very well be that he wants to play here, so an excellent season by Hill could very well mean a longer term deal that's beneficial to both sides.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Of course there are always exceptions, and outliers to the norm. But, generally a guy with his soft arm, and lack of experience isn't going to be elite at reading coverages and playing around his lack of arm strength. He's shown me nothing to this point to convince me otherwise. SHOW ME.

21 of 29 no picks and a game winning drive in an away game. That has to show something. And is his arm really that much weaker than Hill's? or Bulger's? Or Alex Smith's? Were his lack of TD passes really on him or more indicative of the entire offense? I'm not saying start him over Hill, but I can't find a whole lot to complain about regarding QB play yesterday.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
21 of 29 no picks and a game winning drive in an away game. That has to show something. And is his arm really that much weaker than Hill's? or Bulger's? Or Alex Smith's? Were his lack of TD passes really on him or more indicative of the entire offense? I'm not saying start him over Hill, but I can't find a whole lot to complain about regarding QB play yesterday.

Right. Like I said, he played well. I'm not disagreeing with you. But I still think Hill deserves to start a full game and then we'll see where we are at. I could be wrong. In fact, I probably am given my history of evaluating talent.

All I'm saying is that getting nothing in the way of TD passes is a problem.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
This is a tough one for me. I say if a QB is wwinning you don't take him out. I would start Davis next week.

V3

Hall of Fame
How can he show you if they play Hill? That's exactly my point. Let him show all of us whether he has promise or not. We need to know what he is and we can't figure that out when he's on the bench.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I agree Hill is better to win now, which is exactly why I said "long term future". But what are you gaining by winning those games? Do you honestly think we'll win the Super Bowl with him? I don't. I can tell you right now, my interest in Rams games is MUCH higher with Davis playing than with Hill. Hill doesn't help our long term future(beyond this year). Davis might. The chances may still be small for him to be anything special but it's still much more than anything you can say about Hill. If Bradford's injury had been something that would only lasted for a handful of games, I would be on the Hill bandwagon. It's not and this team is now looking for a QB for the future. I can say with certainty that that won't be Hill.

What are we gaining by winning games now with Shaun Hill? How about...umm wins? Respect? Not being a laughing stalk? Happy Sundays?

If I recall, the biggest fear with Austin Davis was his inexperience and awareness, which Shaun obviously has more of. He wasn't doing bad game 1, and to our benefit Austin has shown that he can play QB.

Whether it's Austin Davis or Shaun Hill, if the defense improves this season is shaping up to be a near duplicate of last year.

The team wasn't gonna win the SB with Sam this year, either, so IDK where you're coming with that. The future will play out, until then, I'd much rather hope for Ws on Sundays no matter who is under center.

Athos

Legend
What are we gaining by winning games now with Shaun Hill? How about...umm wins? Respect? Not being a laughing stalk? Happy Sundays?

If I recall, the biggest fear with Austin Davis was his inexperience and awareness, which Shaun obviously has more of. He wasn't doing bad game 1, and to our benefit Austin has shown that he can play QB.

Well, Davis doesn't have a pass thrown into terrible double coverage for a gimme pick that led to a TD. So, as Rams, I'm not sure about the "awareness" separation. Granted, Davis had a pick 6 against the Vikings, but he still moved the ball down the field and that game was over anyway. Better to get those plays out of the way in blowouts than close contests.

What matters most to me is that Davis seemed to really connect with the team and damn if he didn't lead them. He got 8 different receivers the ball. Got everyone involved. That tells me he went through his reads.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
While I'm incredibly grateful that Austin Davis led us to a win yesterday, he's just not very good. It was a very Kellen Clemens-like performance. I can't count the number of wide open throws that he missed in key situations. As good as his stat line was, it could've been even better.

That said, he played better than I thought and deserves a lot of credit for re-energizing a fan base that was likely hanging on by a thread.

If the staff decides they want to roll with Davis, I'll feel a lot better than I did a week ago, but Shaun Hill is the better QB IMO.
Davis completed 75% of his passes yesterday (22-29). 2 of them were dropped. That's five incomplete passes on him. Tough crowd.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, Davis doesn't have a pass thrown into terrible double coverage for a gimme pick that led to a TD. So, as Rams, I'm not sure about the "awareness" separation. Granted, Davis had a pick 6 against the Vikings, but he still moved the ball down the field and that game was over anyway. Better to get those plays out of the way in blowouts than close contests.

What matters most to me is that Davis seemed to really connect with the team and damn if he didn't lead them. He got 8 different receivers the ball. Got everyone involved. That tells me he went through his reads.

So did Shaun, penalties killed a promising drive.

And didn't he go 5/5 in the beginning?

Please, one play doesn't define his Shaun as a player.

This is a good situation for the Rams. The QB posistion may not be as bad as expected. Both our QBs have shown they can make plays; it's up to the rest of the team to step their game up too.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I will tell you this. It's a good problem to have. If Hill messes up badly, then he can just put in Davis.

One thing that I am really impressed about Davis is his composure when someone is in his face. Some QB's have that and a lot don't. Davis missed some throws, but what was important is there were no INT'S, or TO's. He managed the game well, and made some throws with the help of WR's making some nice catches.

cracengl

Rookie
Hill was the backup, and still is. Davis played better and deserves another chance
train

I don't think 1 half tells us anything definitive. I was proud as hell of Austin Davis yesterday, but I don't see any reason to get ahead of ourselves yet. If he's that much better than Hill, I'd like to think he'll eventually get his chance to prove it. There's a whole lot of season left.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
How can he show you if they play Hill? That's exactly my point. Let him show all of us whether he has promise or not. We need to know what he is and we can't figure that out when he's on the bench.
ALL we're saying is the coaches are better judges of this than us,he has had plenty of time in practice to convince them ,team meetings where he gets quizzed about what to do,,given the choice between the staffs opinion and yours , how can I put this delicately ????????????????

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I like Davis because he's a little more daring with the ball. We don't have WR's who get wide open. We have big guys who can battle for the ball and win, like Quick , Britt, Cook and even Pettis with his range. I like that Davis isn't expecting these guys to get wide open before making a throw. I think Hill might be to cautious with the ball and the O will stagnate.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I actually would prefer Davis to start. He is mobile and if you go back and watch the game he put those passes on the money. Davis did an excellent job with his reads and has a lot of confidence. I would start Davis.
I don't care what you guys say, I firmly agree with big game on this. WHO gives us the best chance to win should start. The momentum is with Davis. If you recorded the game, watch it over. Compare it to the 1st quarter or before Hill got hurt and look at the passes ( how they were thrown) mobility, quick reads and dare I say it but at times he looked better than Bradford!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As long as Fisher doesn't treat any of these QB's like they're franchise guys i'll be happy. What i mean by that is this: Hill is a journeyman backup so don't feel like you're going to bruise an ego or divide a locker room by sitting him down this week or even during a game this season if he's obviously struggling. Same goes for Davis and Keenum. None of these guys are the answer, and right now you're just trying to get wins. If Fisher shows too much loyalty to ANY of these guys during the season thats a big mistake IMO.

Yesterday i was hyped up and wanted to go with the hot hand and Davis next week. It's now Monday so i've changed my tune a bit. Start Hill next week...but don't hesitate to sit him in favor of Davis/Keenum for whatever reason you see fit(Fisher). Injury, ineffectiveness, curiousity.

ShaneFalco

im starting to lose faith in Fischer that he is starting some journeyman over a potential qb of the future.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
im starting to lose faith in Fischer that he is starting some journeyman over a potential qb of the future.
I thought you lost faith in him after he passed on Tebow. :fighting: