PS game #2 positives & Negatives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Positives:
Yes there were some check downs on the first drive, but Sam looks to be back. I'm sure part of it was getting him comfortable w/live action. The miss on Britt was the only "bad" throw.

I like what we have at the WR position. It will be Britt, Quick, Austin and the TE's until Bailey returns, with Pettis and Givens shuffling in.

Joyner is a gamer! I also like a bit of what Reid and Roberson showed. I would like them to keep 6 CB's and 4 S's with JJ. Tru, Joyner, Roberson, Reid and Gaines at CB. Then TJ, McLeod, Davisand Alexander at Safety. Gives us plenty of size and peed. McGee looked lost today.

On the OL .... I would keep G.Robinson at LG as long as we can. He is much better there right now. I would keep Barnes, Jones, Bond and Washington .... or resign Harvey Dahl to take one of those spots.

Negatives ....
I know we are missing Lauranitis and Brockers are missing from the D ... but run defense is not looking good.... nor can we cover screens. Ray Ray looks lost. Hopefully the missing links and vanilla schemes are more to blame.

Our back up OL are TREMENDOUSLY bad! Dill, Hooey are especially bad. Re-signing Dahl would at least give us a capable OG/OT swingman.

Chris Givens ....... ?????

The backend of the defense .. it's young. Still lots to learn. A lot of talent.... just needs reps and time.

Playcalling .... 2nd & 12 in first Qrt and we call a run?? Can you say "put your QB in a bad spot"?

Penalties ....Drive killers on O and drive extenders on D....

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
What my completely drunk ass saw...The defense was mostly a vanilla 4-3, the rams were not showing any special sauce. The backup LB's suck.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Positives:
Yes there were some check downs on the first drive, but Sam looks to be back. I'm sure part of it was getting him comfortable w/live action. The miss on Britt was the only "bad" throw.

I like what we have at the WR position. It will be Britt, Quick, Austin and the TE's until Bailey returns, with Pettis and Givens shuffling in.

Joyner is a gamer! I also like a bit of what Reid and Roberson showed. I would like them to keep 6 CB's and 4 S's with JJ. Tru, Joyner, Roberson, Reid and Gaines at CB. Then TJ, McLeod, Davisand Alexander at Safety. Gives us plenty of size and peed. McGee looked lost today.

On the OL .... I would keep G.Robinson at LG as long as we can. He is much better there right now. I would keep Barnes, Jones, Bond and Washington .... or resign Harvey Dahl to take one of those spots.

Negatives ....
I know we are missing Lauranitis and Brockers are missing from the D ... but run defense is not looking good.... nor can we cover screens. Ray Ray looks lost. Hopefully the missing links and vanilla schemes are more to blame.

Our back up OL are TREMENDOUSLY bad! Dill, Hooey are especially bad. Re-signing Dahl would at least give us a capable OG/OT swingman.

Chris Givens ....... ?????

The backend of the defense .. it's young. Still lots to learn. A lot of talent.... just needs reps and time.

Playcalling .... 2nd & 12 in first Qrt and we call a run?? Can you say "put your QB in a bad spot"?

Penalties ....Drive killers on O and drive extenders on D....

Pretty good list there, Redding.

Positives;

Bradford is back.

Westbrooks got his name called, a lot.

Quick showed some mojo.

Kendricks is an underrated guy.

Mason might not have blown up the stat sheet, but dude can run the football.

Reid made plays.

Robinson was hot and cold, but his pancake was epic.

Negatives;

Team missed their penalty goal.

Run D needs tightening.

Depth along the oline seems to stop with Joseph.

No running game today.

Fisher tried another long FG. WTH? I worry about GZ confidence to start the season.

Lost Pead.

Still no KR emerging.

Hooey

We still play too far off the WR on defense!

Mason's protection/blocking.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Positives:

Not according to some lamos who luckily don't frequent here. Sam wasn't perfect, but was pretty sharp. I saw criticisms that the throw to quick was a "foot too high" That he didn't read the defense well, that he didn't "see things", of course I am SURE all those things had to be right.

Sam looked pretty good to me, especially for someone who wasn't supposed to play until week one if we were lucky. Hope his progress keeps up. Nide day my Sam, Westbrooks, and M. Sam, and Quick, Kendricks. Had some issues opening holes . . . needs to get well fast.

Oh well . . . On to Manzieland.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I thought Reid looked very good today in coverage. Westbrooks can play with and beat other teams backups right now. Joyner looks very good.

Where was Gaines today? I did not see him out there at all. Was he hurt, or did I just miss him? It is hard to evaluate anyone when 40% of your starting O-line is out.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought Reid looked very good today in coverage. Westbrooks can play with and beat other teams backups right now. Joyner looks very good.

Where was Gaines today? I did not see him out there at all. Was he hurt, or did I just miss him? It is hard to evaluate anyone when 40% of your starting O-line is out.
Gaines was said to be in street clothes ... not sure why

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty good list there, Redding.

Positives;

Bradford is back.

Westbrooks got his name called, a lot.

Quick showed some mojo.

Kendricks is an underrated guy.

Mason might not have blown up the stat sheet, but dude can run the football.

Reid made plays.

Robinson was hot and cold, but his pancake was epic.

Negatives;

Team missed their penalty goal.

Run D needs tightening.

Depth along the oline seems to stop with Joseph.

No running game today.

Fisher tried another long FG. WTH? I worry about GZ confidence to start the season.

Lost Pead.

Still no KR emerging.

Hooey

We still play too far off the WR on defense!

Mason's protection/blocking.
Mason needs a LOT of work in pass protection. I forgot that as a negative. It will come .... plus we have Stacy and Cunningham ahead of him for that ... and Harkey. Sam was fine .... I have no idea why anyone would be knocking him. The first drive was clearly meant to get a "feel" of live action and knock the rust off. Pead ..... sad yes, but it also eliminates ONE of the ?'s on if he makes the team or not. I might be tempted to keep 5 RB's ..... Stacy, Cunningham, Mason, Reynolds and Watts. Reynolds is just on too many ST's to let go, but Watts flashes potential

Slappy967

Starter
I thought Westbrooks was the best defensive player on the night. Just flashing all over the place against better competition then week 1. Michael Sam looked ok but definitely a reversal of their week 1 fortunes.

Offensively Sam looked good and that play to Quick was a thing of beauty. I thought Quick made the most of his size and strength to earn every one of his 41 yard reception. Great to see in game action of him doing what he has been doing all camp. Mason/Watts both looked pretty solid carrying the ball but man Mason needs work blocking for his QB.

All in all lots to like about this 2014 team.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good: Bradford, threw the ball well, pushed it downfield some, moved well.
Only a couple of plays but it appears Quick is starting fulfill his massive potential.
I like our RBs.
Robinson going all Ohio State Pace on a dude.
Wells moved well.
Backup D line played well, depth DBs look to be talented.

Bad:
O line depth ain't good. Time to scout some possible cuts from other teams. But, in reality, the top 8 spots are on lockdown anyway.
Missed tackles.
Starting D line had no penetration really although not playing their A game yet.
Ugly:
Pead. I feel bad for the guy. He appeared to be getting his act together. When a guy goes down after his knee gives like that....ugly.
It's not in my nature to like seeing people fail. Pead has had setbacks to deal with (plenty of his own making) and this is probably a major one.
I for one am sending positive thoughts to Pead and hope he has matured enough to fight back from what looks like a bad injury.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Reid had some good moments, but he also got very lucky on a play he was clearly beaten to have the WR drop the ball. Funny how we seem to forget those moments.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Reid had some good moments, but he also got very lucky on a play he was clearly beaten to have the WR drop the ball. Funny how we seem to forget those moments.

Not that good a cover guy, but I just like that he'll tackle.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Mason looks natural out there running but damn did anyone see his PATHETIC attempt at a blitz pickup that allowed a sack? he looked like he didnt want to even touch the guy. put his hands out and kinda smacked at him and the dude blew by. has he been getting work in at protection @CoachO? cus it was pitiful what I saw. no play action if hes back there blocking

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Every corner gets beat once in a while. Sam Shields is one of the best in the game and got roasted by Quick twice. Reid made plays, and that's more than you can say about some corners. It was a nice night from him. That's not to say he's going to make the team as a cover guy at all, but I think he helped his case a lot more than hurt it last night.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Every corner gets beat once in a while. Sam Shields is one of the best in the game and got roasted by Quick twice. Reid made plays, and that's more than you can say about some corners. It was a nice night from him. That's not to say he's going to make the team as a cover guy at all, but I think he helped his case a lot more than hurt it last night.

I don't disagree with you in that he had a much better night.But I still don't see it being enough to leap frog him over arguably 3 guys ahead of him for the 5th spot on the roster.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't disagree with you in that he had a much better night.But I still don't see it being enough to leap frog him over arguably 3 guys ahead of him for the 5th spot on the roster.

I agree with you there. Things might be different if he was a really good STer or if he didnt get off to such a slow start in camp.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Mason looks natural out there running but damn did anyone see his PATHETIC attempt at a blitz pickup that allowed a sack? he looked like he didnt want to even touch the guy. put his hands out and kinda smacked at him and the dude blew by. has he been getting work in at protection @CoachO? cus it was pitiful what I saw. no play action if hes back there blocking

That's not shocking for a rookie 3rd round RB. It took SJack many years to get better in pass pro.