Pro Wrestling Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gotta say I agree with all of that but call me crazy I like how Brock has been used. Kinda of a throwback to when Hogan would only defend every once in awhile. Just wish he would do a little more on Raw. According to a site I check for wwe news Brock said he do more but wwe won't pay him to do it. And while I wish the streak never ended the same site did have a few reports saying Taker handpicked Lesner to break the streak. So if that's true ( if we ever find out) I'd be more ok with it.
On the Vince McMahon/Steve Austin podcast on WWE Network, Vince seemed to flat out say ending The Streak was Vince's call. Maybe both accounts are true... Vince wanted to end the streak and Taker picked Lesnar. I just worry that unless WWE handles this thing correctly, it will all be for naught. I've been calling for months now that Reigns beating Lesnar at Mania (since Lesnar's contract is up afterwards) would be completely anticlimatic and not do much for Reigns at all. Fortunately, by recent reports, WWE seems to be realizing that a Reigns-Lesnar main won't work.

And I don't know. I kind of feel if you're going to have monthly PPVs that the day of the "special attraction" champion has passed. It even feels weird now that Cena and other guys on the tip top don't do SmackDown.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
1. I have all the respect in the world for Vince. This company would have never gotten where it is without him. But he needs to pass the reigns (no pun intended) to Steph and Triple H now. Vince is stuck trying to repeat what worked before and it's not. Going by NXT, Triple H knows what he's doing with the book. (The persistent rumor is that Vince is totally hands off NXT and it's Triple H's baby.)

Yup.

2. End the Authority and any other "evil GM" type angles. If you really want someone to be out there for official contract signings, have someone be a Jack Tunney type president (Mick Foley would be perfect for such a role) who isn't on TV every week, and just shows up for said signings and to announce any major decisions.

Yup.

3. Turn Cena heel. Yes, I can see where WWE is afraid to do so since he sells merchandise and is literally the all time leader for wishes granted to Make A Wish kids, but it wouldn't have to be forever. Look at the reactions that pre-NWO Hulk Hogan got (VERY similar to Cena now). Now, that's not a problem for him.

Nah, John is what he is. He needs to be less cheesy tho, and is more than capable of doing so.

4. Part timers should only be brought in to ultimately put over full timers. No more having the part time Rock be the one to end CM Punk's "longest of the modern era" title reign. No more giving Brock Lesnar the title and then having him only make two title defenses (Night of Champions and the Royal Rumble) between Summerslam and Wrestlemania. And definitely no having a freaking part timer end The freaking Streak. Yes, I'm still bitter about that.

Yup, except for Brock. Brock is a stud and legit looks like a brute that doesn't give a shit. He'll fight when he wants.

5. If you need to have Total Divas, fine. But don't crosspromote in the Divas division booking. It's pretty stupid when they're having a match between two girls because they were having an argument when the show was filmed a few months ago. It's especially stupid when said plot never gets resolved (at least in WWE). See Natalya hating Eva Marie and Natalya hating Summer Rae for examples of that. And get freaking Tyson Kidd out of the cat themed wrestling gear.

The thing is a Total Divas story is better than no story. But I get where you're coming from. They need to have legit stories, and not scripted drama.

6. While I'm on the topic of the Divas, fire Rosa Mendes, Alicia Fox and Cameron. Then either unite the division with the NXT Women's division or bring up Charlotte, Sasha Banks and Bayley (possibly bring Emma back up as well) and let them have actual matches. Start pushing the Bellas more towards non-wrestling roles (although Nikki has improved enough that she can be carried to good matches), and then you have a divas division of AJ Lee (for as long as she's around), Paige, Sasha Banks, Charlotte, Bayley, Emma, Naomi, Natalya and Summer Rae. If you let these girls go, they can put on some damned good matches.

Yeah, except for Alicia Fox. She's pretty good in the ring and I think she's hot.

7. If you don't have anything for guys on roster, put them together with someone compatible and let them tag team for a bit. A big tag team division helps keep matches there always fresh, so you don't have to run feuds forever (like Usos vs Gold & Stardust was always good, but they ran that feud into the ground). As a side note on both tag teams and feuds being run into the ground, I would have totally bought the Wyatt/Ambrose feud ending with them forming a tweener team and beating the crap out of everyone, maybe even forcing the Authority and those opposing them to team up just to do something different.

I agree with the tag division, but not with putting random guys together. Those not doing anything can go after the IC or U.S. titles. The tag teamers need to have stories of their own, like how the Hardyz were legit brothers fighting for everything or even fake badass brothers like the Dudleyz. Hell, I'd take Billy and Chuck.

8. Everyone needs to have a point. Stop using people you've invested enough into to give them their own entrance music as jobbers, because it's hard for them to STOP being jobbers. If you want to use jobbers to put Rusev over as this great destroyer, use actual jobbers. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen R-Truth (for just one example) fed to Rusev or Bray Wyatt. If we've already seen the match and it was an uninteresting squash the first time, why would the next time be better? In a related point, stop using teams like Los Matadors (who really need to ditch the DOA gimmick) and Slater Gator as jobbers.

Squash matches are an insult to any fan. Who actually believes a rare Raw match for Heath fuckin Slater against Bray Wyatt has a chance for an upset?

9. Unify the US & IC titles so you don't have either languishing on someone Creative has nothing for (such as Dean Ambrose's US Title Reign). Having two titles is a remnant of when the show was divided into two brands, and it's not necessary anymore. The Tag Titles and the WWE/World titles have already unified. And stop jobbing the IC or US champs out to contenders for the WWE title. I'd like the IC title to be what it was in the old days: The title for the guys who could go.

Yup.

10. Take the number of guys you have who have their own music and divide them equally between your writer staff. Your writer is responsible for finding stuff for his specific guys to do. Put one (or maybe two later) guys in charge of the Divas booking. This will really help Creative to have something for everyone, so no one just languishes and jobs for extended periods.

But then that would be a problem, eventually they would run out of guys, unless they get switched up and can work with other groups.

11. Listen to your fans. They want to pick their favorites and have them be the guys who are pushed. In interviews about the Attitude Era and ECW, I'm always hearing about how it was the crowd who determines who gets pushes and who doesn't and how that was the greatest thing about it. Modern day WWE feels more like WCW where if you got over without permission, you were punished (Jericho has talked a lot about that) and both companies seem to be pushing their choices on you whether you like it or not. I fear Daniel Bryan could become a new Zack Ryder, who was very over but because he was booked so badly, the crowd has been trained to not care about him.

I'd be careful on this one. Lately a lot of fans just like to piss on w/e WWE puts out there. The smart ones that like WWE for what it is (a scripted sports entertainment) just want it to be exciting again.

Angry Ram

Oooh how about we rank the current Divas of who we find the hottest:

1. AJ
2. Paige
3. Emma
4. Alicia
5. Lana (she goes to one whenever her hair is not in a bun)
6. Layla
7. Brie Bella
8. Nikki Bella
9. Naomi (if her hair is not in corn rows or curly)
10. Cameron

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Yup, except for Brock. Brock is a stud and legit looks like a brute that doesn't give a crap. He'll fight when he wants.
I will say that the Triple Threat at the Royal Rumble was easily Brock's best match since he returned if not his best match ever. I've never been much of a fan of the guy, but he earned my respect that night. That said, I'm fine with him being a part time attraction, but he shouldn't be holding the belt as such. Rollins has kind of languished with the MitB briefcase because what good does a title shot whenever you want it do when the champ is never there?

I agree with the tag division, but not with putting random guys together. Those not doing anything can go after the IC or U.S. titles. The tag teamers need to have stories of their own, like how the Hardyz were legit brothers fighting for everything or even fake badass brothers like the Dudleyz. Hell, I'd take Billy and Chuck.
Even with secondary belts (and particularly should they get unified), you still have lots of guys with nothing to do and a fairly barebones tag team roster. I'm not saying overload it, but put a few more teams in it. After all, The New Age Outlaws formed because Road Dogg just went up to Billy (who, at the time, was doing a gimmick as "Rockabilly" with the Honky Tonk Man as manager) and said "Hey, let's team up."

Squash matches are an insult to any fan. Who actually believes a rare Raw match for Heath freakin Slater against Bray Wyatt has a chance for an upset?
Squash matches can be a valuable tool to build a guy into something though. Goldberg is the best example of this IMO. I'm just saying that instead of ruining guys who can ostensibly get pushed, why not have those matches be against pure jobbers? They were doing a little of this to help build The Ascension.

But then that would be a problem, eventually they would run out of guys, unless they get switched up and can work with other groups.
I'd imagine they would switch up from time to time. But the goal here is to prevent "Creative has nothing for you" as well as pointless matches... especially if said pointless matches involve the same two guys trading wins back and forth and neither really getting over (and that was the point I forgot to bring up. Spoony went on about it at length in one of his Wrestle! Wrestle! recaps.)

I'd be careful on this one. Lately a lot of fans just like to pee pee on w/e WWE puts out there. The smart ones that like WWE for what it is (a scripted sports entertainment) just want it to be exciting again.
Sure, you wouldn't want to go with just whatever random whim the audience has. But when crowd after crowd want Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler to be pushed... push those guys!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Already a different Cena tonight than we saw last year at Wrestlemania with that "No, John! Think of your legacy!" nonsense.

Angry Ram

I will say that the Triple Threat at the Royal Rumble was easily Brock's best match since he returned if not his best match ever. I've never been much of a fan of the guy, but he earned my respect that night. That said, I'm fine with him being a part time attraction, but he shouldn't be holding the belt as such. Rollins has kind of languished with the MitB briefcase because what good does a title shot whenever you want it do when the champ is never there?

I think Brock is the exception in this case, and believe me I get frustrated when he's not on Raw on a regular and only fights on PPVs. But he has an aura about himself b/c of that. Now if someone like Roman Reigns did that, meh.

Even with secondary belts (and particularly should they get unified), you still have lots of guys with nothing to do and a fairly barebones tag team roster. I'm not saying overload it, but put a few more teams in it. After all, The New Age Outlaws formed because Road Dogg just went up to Billy (who, at the time, was doing a gimmick as "Rockabilly" with the Honky Tonk Man as manager) and said "Hey, let's team up."

True, sometimes it works like the Outlaws. But the Outlaws made it work, they worked on their craft and had stories with DX and other tag teams. Another example of that is APA.

Today it doesn't happen that much. Like Tyson Kidd and Antonio Cesaro. They have nothing in common and obviously better on their own. But with Antonio Cesaro teamed up with Wade Barrett or Sheamus (if he turned heel) they could have a badass brawling Euro team.

Squash matches can be a valuable tool to build a guy into something though. Goldberg is the best example of this IMO. I'm just saying that instead of ruining guys who can ostensibly get pushed, why not have those matches be against pure jobbers? They were doing a little of this to help build The Ascension.

If it's pure local jobbers, it makes it look even worse. The big guys already look menacing. IMO it's a waste of time that could be better spent building their characters.

I'd imagine they would switch up from time to time. But the goal here is to prevent "Creative has nothing for you" as well as pointless matches... especially if said pointless matches involve the same two guys trading wins back and forth and neither really getting over (and that was the point I forgot to bring up. Spoony went on about it at length in one of his Wrestle! Wrestle! recaps.)

I guess it could work, with a main event team, a midcard team, and undercard team with it being fluid. But at the end of the day, they need tv time.

Sure, you wouldn't want to go with just whatever random whim the audience has. But when crowd after crowd want Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler to be pushed... push those guys!

But they have. Look at Raw last night. It was focused on Daniel and Roman Reigns.

Daniel Bryan beat Triple H, Randy Orton, and Batista on the same night at freakin Wrestelmania. He's been allowed to bring actual fans into the ring and take over Raw. He has merch. He's in main events. Dolph is getting his time too, by his win at Survior Series. The crowd will want them to win everything, but that is just unrealistic and hypocritical with their John Cena hate.

Anyway, I think WWE has been reading our posts again. Started off with a non cheesy John Cena/Alexander Rusev promo. Guys going after the IC and U.S. titles and making them seem important. Goldust and Stardust getting a lot of time for their feud. Good matches throughout the night. Very little on screen Authority. Plus the show was focused on Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns...two good guys that don't like each other and just going at it. That's what I'm talking about. WWE is more than capable of doing this, just need it on a consistent basis.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I think Brock is the exception in this case, and believe me I get frustrated when he's not on Raw on a regular and only fights on PPVs. But he has an aura about himself b/c of that. Now if someone like Roman Reigns did that, meh.
To each their own... for the most part, Brock just annoys me. But I never thought much of the guy even when he was a regular.

True, sometimes it works like the Outlaws. But the Outlaws made it work, they worked on their craft and had stories with DX and other tag teams. Another example of that is APA.

Today it doesn't happen that much. Like Tyson Kidd and Antonio Cesaro. They have nothing in common and obviously better on their own. But with Antonio Cesaro teamed up with Wade Barrett or Sheamus (if he turned heel) they could have a badass brawling Euro team.
I dunno... the Cesaro-Tyson team is growing on me, and redeeming Tyson from Total Divas Hell. Although it is frustrating that Cesaro should be doing better than he is. And Vince's comments on the Austin podcast that Cesaro had just "failed to grasp the brass ring" were asinine. You book people crappily and people stop caring... at least until the guy in question reaches the Daniel Bryan threshold of course.

If it's pure local jobbers, it makes it look even worse. The big guys already look menacing. IMO it's a waste of time that could be better spent building their characters.
I can see where you're going, and I'm not saying turn RAW into what Superstars and Wrestling Challenge were back in the day (pretty much all squash matches and interviews, and maybe an upper midcard match here or there). But sometimes jobber matches can be a good thing since while the result is not in question (usually), a good jobber can make a guy look like a million bucks.

I guess it could work, with a main event team, a midcard team, and undercard team with it being fluid. But at the end of the day, they need tv time.
TV time and some reason to be there. TV time where guy X beats guy Y, then next show guy Y beats guy X, unless it has a point, that gets no one over.

But they have. Look at Raw last night. It was focused on Daniel and Roman Reigns.

Daniel Bryan beat Triple H, Randy Orton, and Batista on the same night at freakin Wrestelmania. He's been allowed to bring actual fans into the ring and take over Raw. He has merch. He's in main events. Dolph is getting his time too, by his win at Survior Series. The crowd will want them to win everything, but that is just unrealistic and hypocritical with their John Cena hate.

Anyway, I think WWE has been reading our posts again. Started off with a non cheesy John Cena/Alexander Rusev promo. Guys going after the IC and U.S. titles and making them seem important. Goldust and Stardust getting a lot of time for their feud. Good matches throughout the night. Very little on screen Authority. Plus the show was focused on Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns...two good guys that don't like each other and just going at it. That's what I'm talking about. WWE is more than capable of doing this, just need it on a consistent basis.
Yeah, it really seems the Royal Rumble and subsequent reactions have really woken WWE up, at least in the short term, although reportedly initial plans for Fastlane were "Reigns beats Bryan and thus shows he's better than Bryan" have been scrapped.

I did also like them taking the next step in the Goldust/Stardust feud. Maybe they're building for the rumored Wrestlemania match? I could see them doing either a retirement match, or a loser can't wear the makeup match.

And not only was there very little onscreen Authority, but there were no handicap matches, no interference except for J&J Security's antics, and the closest they came to a win was Reigns getting Bryan DQed against The Big Show.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
. Rollins has kind of languished with the MitB briefcase because what good does a title shot whenever you want it do when the champ is never there?

The MiB briefcase has basically become the 4th "belt"
There's been almost no threat of him Cashing it in.
Its a shame IMO, they've really taken the fun out of it. In fact, I dont know if its even worth a PPV anymore if cashing in is going to occur at Wrestlemania or later. Maybe they just go back to having the MiB match at Wrestlemania

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
Thought Raw was good last night. Ziggler vs Rollins was my Fav of the night, really would like to see them get a long match with clean ending. Really digging Wyatts promos right now, I'm already getting goosebumps for when Taker shows up. Ambrose chasing the IC title and Cena chasing the US title is a big step to making those titles mean something again at least for now. Also like Bryan and Roman getting in each others way and ending the show fighting, should be a good match.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Oh what! We have a pro wrestling thread?! Sweet. Ambrose and Rollins are probably the most fun people to watch right now! I just wish Raw wasn't 3 hours long. That is way to much time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just wish Raw wasn't 3 hours long. That is way to much time.

Still get the same 45 minutes of wrestling that you got when show was 2 hours....

What I cant figure out is, why did they break up the Wyatt family? Harper and Rowan are just ZERO without it. Thought it was pretty cool how like the Shield they had no particular favor towards heel or face

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
Still get the same 45 minutes of wrestling that you got when show was 2 hours....

What I cant figure out is, why did they break up the Wyatt family? Harper and Rowan are just ZERO without it. Thought it was pretty cool how like the Shield they had no particular favor towards heel or face

Yeah Harper and Rowan aren't looking so good right now. Hope they get back together down the road. At least Harper and Rowan as a tag team. I thought they should have won the belts when they were facing the Usos over and over.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yeah Harper and Rowan aren't looking so good right now. Hope they get back together down the road. At least Harper and Rowan as a tag team. I thought they should have won the belts when they were facing the Usos over and over.
Part of the problem is that they split with no reason as to why. Rowan randomly starts helping the good guys for no reason. They should have had a rivalry between Harper and Rowan. Harper at least still manages to put on some good matches. Idk what the hell they are doing with Rowan right now.

Angry Ram

Part of the problem is that they split with no reason as to why. Rowan randomly starts helping the good guys for no reason. They should have had a rivalry between Harper and Rowan. Harper at least still manages to put on some good matches. Idk what the hell they are doing with Rowan right now.

They had video packages of Bray Wyatt "setting them free." They are getting hardly any time for character development.

Luke Harper didn't even get a televised entrance (historically not good) Erick Rowan is unique. He has an awesome theme song and unique look. But he's just kinda there. No feuds, no rivalries, nothing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right
I thought the Shield was the best group since DX and although it was time to break the Shield up, I thought the Wyatts could take the torch and run with it.
IMO the Bray Wyatt intro is the 2nd most popular thing right now next to the Yes! Yes! Yes! chants

Angry Ram

If there ever was a time for stopping Authority 20+ minute promos, it's now.

I think we've finally got what we asked for: More stories.

The IC title is relevant again: Dean Ambrose/Wade Barrett, R-Truth (lol), and probably Dolph Ziggler.

Bray Wyatt/Undertaker. This is a unique an Undertaker story since the old Kane days. Creepy vs. creepy.

Randy Orton/Seth Rollins

John Cena/Alexander Rusev for the U.S. title. John Cena has clearly been set aside for younger guys.

Goldust/Stardust getting a long rivalry.

Damien Sandow/The Miz rivalry. I think this can make Damien becoming less of a joke.

Sheamus is about to return.

As random as they are, Tyson Kidd/Antonio Cesaro make good tag champs vs. the Uso bros. What's missing is their connection (even Ryback and Curtis Axel had something in common)

Ascension/Prime Time Players (still leary about this one).

Sting/Triple H. I'm fine w/ HHH as a fighter for WWE and not a "best for business" suit.

And of course Daniel Bryan/Roman Reigns/Brock Lesnar being in the WWE title picture.

The only thing that is missing is the diva title, which no one really cares about anyway.

So much going on, so much potential. Please, less Authority. Please.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
If there ever was a time for stopping Authority 20+ minute promos, it's now.

I think we've finally got what we asked for: More stories.

The IC title is relevant again: Dean Ambrose/Wade Barrett, R-Truth (lol), and probably Dolph Ziggler.

Bray Wyatt/Undertaker. This is a unique an Undertaker story since the old Kane days. Creepy vs. creepy.

Randy Orton/Seth Rollins

John Cena/Alexander Rusev for the U.S. title. John Cena has clearly been set aside for younger guys.

Goldust/Stardust getting a long rivalry.

Damien Sandow/The Miz rivalry. I think this can make Damien becoming less of a joke.

Sheamus is about to return.

As random as they are, Tyson Kidd/Antonio Cesaro make good tag champs vs. the Uso bros. What's missing is their connection (even Ryback and Curtis Axel had something in common)

Ascension/Prime Time Players (still leary about this one).

Sting/Triple H. I'm fine w/ HHH as a fighter for WWE and not a "best for business" suit.

And of course Daniel Bryan/Roman Reigns/Brock Lesnar being in the WWE title picture.

The only thing that is missing is the diva title, which no one really cares about anyway.

So much going on, so much potential. Please, less Authority. Please.

Hahaha R-truth! So random can't beleive he is going to be involved.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didnt re-sign up the WWE channel so I didnt see Fast Lane. Doubt I'll even watch Wrestlemania this year, first time in god knows how long.
Read the results on Bleacherreport and nothing shocked me. They had Daniel Bryan try to sell to the Universe that its ok to like Roman Reigns? Does anyone really care about a Sting/HHH rivalry? Sting is almost 50. Who cares....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to believe Wrestlemania is next week and there's nothing but crickets