Predicting Snead/Fish in round 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Overall here's an estimate of what I think they're gonna do in the first round. Focusing on "fits" that I think they will target and move in order to get if necessary...

Players they will trade up for in order of preference:
1. Mariota (not instant impact but Rams will consider him their long term answer if he falls)
2. Cooper (instant impact receiving game weapon)
3. Scherff (instant impact starter at any OL position except for LT)

- Mariota would need to fall a few spots at least, which is extremely unlikely to the point I'd say it is damn near impossible. Cooper needs to fall to around 6 at least, which is unlikely but if it happens I do think the Rams start making calls. Scherff is the most likely to happen simply because he should be on the board as they approach the Giants' pick and if he's as well liked by the Rams as I think he is they will see if they can get a small move up done to nab him.

Players they consider at ten in order of preference:
1. Scherff
2. Parker (more game film than White and in the same grade range)
3. White (late riser with one good season which worries me but his value is there regardless)
4. Waynes (might push for a starting job right off the bat so he will be considered I think)

- If Scherff is there at ten he will be the pick I believe. Parker over White if Scherff is off the board but Rams will take either of them I think before trading down. If all three are off the board I think they consider Waynes against a trade down offer which they will likely receive given that all the teams around the league know what they want and that they are wheelers/dealers. Peat is not a fit so I did not include him at 10, if the Rams do take him it will be an indicator that they are more concerned about pass protection which I do not see but of course you never know with Fish/Snead.

Players they move down for in order of preference:
1. Collins (poor man's Scherff with nice ceiling but a little less polished in my estimation)
2. Erving (flexibility he brings is key, he will be in the glut of guys that start late round 1)
3. Flowers (One of many project type OTs who is very physical with upside)
4. Clemmings (See Flowers, above)
5. Peat (at some point if he slides the Rams will consider him, but his lack of physical play meh)
6. Dorsett (adds speed and route running to this WR corps, potential impact player IMO)
7. DGB (not a fan of him personally but I think the Rams will consider him late round 1)

- Overall I think if they move down their preference is to take one of those OT types with focus on those who bring flexibility and physical play. WRs are possible of course but I think their trade down location will be targeted towards a given player or two who will be OL. IF they need to go WR due to their guy/s being gone that's what they do but at least they have an additional round 2 pick to play with.

jjab360

Legend
I seriously doubt they're that high on Scherff, or at least I hope they're not. He really struggled last year, I don't think he comes close to living up to the Zack Martin comparison who was basically a flawless pass protector.

Also, I think it says something that over half of their pre-draft visits were OL, and Scherff wasn't one of them. Some might say smokescreen, but iirc every one of Snisher's first round draft picks made a pre-draft visit. It doesn't really seem like something they would do to mislead, they're genuinely interested in how their draft targets fit in at Rams park.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I seriously doubt they're that high on Scherff, or at least I hope they're not. He really struggled last year, I don't think he comes close to living up to the Zack Martin comparison who was basically a flawless pass protector.
There is NO Zach Martin in Scherff at all....I watched Zach versus SC, and he was blocking his ass off...think he matched up with a bunch of monsters in 2013. I think he played against A. Barr, my top OLB/DE in 2013....He was a beast at the Senior Bowl...The game against Maryland should take Scherff off any true scouts first round board...supposedly super strong and had the same # of reps in the bench press as Kevin White....pathetic...

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I must be in the minority on Scheriff. When I watch film on him I can only smile thinking about him at LG next to Robinson for the next 10 years. It would be a RB's dream, IMO. OR I would have no problem with him at LT if Barksdale walks.

Athos

Legend
There is NO Zach Martin in Scherff at all....I watched Zach versus SC, and he was blocking his ass off...think he matched up with a bunch of monsters in 2013. I think he played against A. Barr, my top OLB/DE in 2013....He was a beast at the Senior Bowl...The game against Maryland should take Scherff off any true scouts first round board...supposedly super strong and had the same # of reps in the bench press as Kevin White....pathetic...

It really was a pretty weak bench for a guy who most likely ends up as a OG.

Scherff isn't my favorite at all as far as lineman go.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think and hope they trade down unless white is there. Because I'm pretty sure they draft Qb in second so extra second would help

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Why do I have this awful feeling that Snisher doesn't go OL before the 3rd rd? I can see a pass rusher dropping to 10 and then taking a QB in the 2nd. That would be, for me, a crushing start to the draft weekend.

fearsomefour

Legend
Why do I have this awful feeling that Snisher doesn't go OL before the 3rd rd? I can see a pass rusher dropping to 10 and then taking a QB in the 2nd. That would be, for me, a crushing start to the draft weekend.
With Fairley having a one year deal and only three DTs under contract I could see the Rams drafting a DT in the first three rounds.

FrankenRam

Starter
......Scherff is the most likely to happen simply because he should be on the board as they approach the Giants' pick and if he's as well liked by the Rams as I think he is .......

What leads you to believe he's well liked by the Rams?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Also, I think it says something that over half of their pre-draft visits were OL, and Scherff wasn't one of them. Some might say smokescreen, but iirc every one of Snisher's first round draft picks made a pre-draft visit. It doesn't really seem like something they would do to mislead, they're genuinely interested in how their draft targets fit in at Rams park.

I respectuflly disagree here, IMO, the pick is Scherff and he has the versatility that Zack Martin had and I watched Martin every year at Notre Dame and he did sturggle in pass protection on the edge. Scherff is very strong and plays through injuries, if he's still on the board that will be the Rams pick IMO.

If not, then Collins of LSU...There is nothing wrong with building the team from the inside out. It's not flashy, but considering the issues this team has had over the years Brandon Scherff or La'el Collins is just what the Doctor ordered.

FrankenRam

Starter
Big, strong, versatile and durable. Road Grader that comes from the heartland! If he's still on the board, IMO, Scherff is the pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000472163/article/is-iowas-brandon-scherff-the-nfl-combines-strongest-man

Strength seems to depend on what numbers you look at. 'Hang clean' looks terrific, but only 24th of 37 OL in the bench press at the combine (of those who lifted).

I also find it a bit odd he is one OL who the Rams have apparently not had in for a visit nor visited. That may mean nothing, 'but'......

In the end, your answer does nothing to answer the question I put to Merlin....i.e., what makes him think the Rams like him so much. I was assuming he meant he'd heard Snisher talk about him at some point.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'll go out on the limb and predict they won't make another ill-fated trade up for a combine
wonder.

It's obvious to me their primary focus will be addressing the O-Line

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Strength seems to depend on what numbers you look at. 'Hang clean' looks terrific, but only 24th of 37 OL in the bench press at the combine (of those who lifted).

I also find it a bit odd he is one OL who the Rams have apparently not had in for a visit nor visited. That may mean nothing, 'but'......

In the end, your answer does nothing to answer the question I put to Merlin....i.e., what makes him think the Rams like him so much. I was assuming he meant he'd heard Snisher talk about him at some point.

Besides him be rated the top OL liking him so much might be because of his versatility. Keep in mind I am quite sure Zack Martin did not visit the Rams last year too and that's because they knew enough about him they did not need a visit. Scherff might fall into the category as well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Big, strong, versatile and durable. Road Grader that comes from the heartland! If he's still on the board, IMO, Scherff is the pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...randon-scherff-the-nfl-combines-strongest-man
I believe his "myth" of this kids strength has been proven a falsehood. As to his durability, seems his history of nagging injuries could be a sign of more to follow.

Besides him be rated the top OL liking him so much might be because of his versatility. Keep in mind I am quite sure Zack Martin did not visit the Rams last year too and that's because they knew enough about him they did not need a visit. Scherff might fall into the category as well.
maybe....I'm hoping a bunch of guys that haven't visited are still on their radar.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe he "myth" of this kids strength has been proven a falsehood. As to his durability, seems his history of nagging injuries could be a sign of more to follow.

maybe....I'm hoping a bunch of guys that haven't visited are still on their radar.

Iowa's Brandon Scherff leads big crop
April 24, 2015

By Bob McGinn

[www.jsonline.com]

Green Bay — Offensive line is regarded as one of the richest positions in this NFL draft. Seven blockers appear headed for the first round, and possibly four more will go by the 50th pick.

Strangely, there might not be an offensive lineman worthy of a top-10 pick even though 18 of them were taken that high in the last nine drafts.

Brandon Scherff, clearly the best player available, has fewer negatives than just about any player in the entire draft. He's about as safe as can be.

The problem for many teams with early picks is they view Scherff as a better NFL guard than tackle, where he started on the left side at Iowa. His modest arm length (33 3/8 inches) and height (6 feet 4½) are more typical of inside than outside players at the pro level.

Few teams want to draft an inside player in the top 10. The only pure guards taken that high in the last 20 years — Chris Naeole (No. 10, 1997), Chance Warmack (No. 10, '13) and Jonathan Cooper (No. 7, '13) — probably were mistakes.

"Scherff isn't dominant," said an executive in personnel for an NFC team. "He's not your typical top guy and he doesn't have the length you want at tackle. How high do you pick a guy you're projecting to guard?"

Another personnel man insisted that Scherff had enough game to be considered comparable to the first offensive lineman taken in other drafts.

"I was at Iowa pro day," the scout said, "and he's as athletic as anybody last year and as good as anybody last year. After Scherff, none of them belong with the top group from last year."

A Journal Sentinel poll of 19 personnel people this month underscored Scherff's pre-eminent position. After the scouts listed their top five offensive linemen regardless of position, five points were assigned for a first-place vote, four for second and so on.

Scherff piled up 86 points and 13 first-place votes, easily outdistancing Andrus Peat (53, three). Others with first-round credentials include La'el Collins (30, one), Cedric Ogbuehi (28, one), Cameron Erving (25), Ereck Flowers (25) and D.J. Humphries (25, one).

Also receiving votes were Donovan Smith (six), T.J. Clemmings (four), Laken Tomlinson (two) and Jake Fisher (one).

One might think the fact Scherff played for the Hawkeyes would be considered an immense plus by NFL teams.

During Kirk Ferentz' stint as offensive line coach from 1981-'89, NFL teams plucked 11 of his blockers, including three in the first round (Green Bay's Ron Hallstrom, 1982) and three in the third (Green Bay's Dave Croston, '87).

After spending six seasons as an offensive line coach in the NFL, Ferentz returned to Iowa City as head coach in 1999. In the drafts of 2000-'14, Iowa has had 13 offensive linemen selected.

Ferentz has had able offensive line coaches such as Joe Philbin (1999-'02), but year after year he spends a large amount of time working individually with offensive linemen.

"Kirk just does a great job," one veteran scout said. "They're always good technicians. They know how to kick-step, how to set, how to get their hands on people."

Because of the excellent training and tradition, however, several scouts said offensive linemen from Iowa scared them.

"Iowa has a track record most of the time of getting two- and three-star players and developing them over the course of their careers," said Phil Savage, executive director of the Senior Bowl and an NFL general manager and personnel director for 15 years.

"They're well-coached, they train hard, they are consistent in their work ethic and approach. Because of that development, are they close to being maxed out?"

Since 2003, Iowa has had six offensive linemen taken in the top 100. The list includes guard Eric Steinbach (No. 33, 2003), center Bruce Nelson (No. 50, '03), tackle-guard Robert Gallery (No. 2, '04), tackle-guard Marshal Yanda (No. 87, '07), tackle Bryan Bulaga (No. 23, '10) and tackle Riley Reiff (No. 23, '12).

In light of those players, Savage was asked how he'd feel about selecting Scherff.

"It would give me pause if I was taking him in the top 10," replied Savage. "If I was taking him where some of those other guys went, in the second half of the first round or the top of the second, you'd feel great about it, probably.

"I don't think Scherff is an elite player. I think he's a good, solid prospect."

Another veteran scout considered Iowa's recent draft entries and said, "There's been a lot of failures out of there. Kirk's a good O-line coach so those guys end up getting coached as well as they're ever going to be.

"Then you get them to your camp and you think they're going to get better, but that's just the way they are."

In truth, those six high picks from Iowa have gotten a bum rap. It's due largely to Gallery, who after flopping at tackle became a competitive guard in an eight-year career.

Nelson was a bust, but the others all started for years. Steinbach became a top-five guard in Cincinnati but never made the Pro Bowl, something Yanda has done the last three seasons for Baltimore.

Reiff has started at left tackle two of his three seasons in Detroit and is at least adequate. Bulaga has been a good player in Green Bay when he hasn't been sidelined by injury.

Scherff, from Denison, Iowa, joins Nelson, Gallery and Yanda as products of Iowa high schools. Reiff is from South Dakota, Bulaga from suburban Chicago.

Three scouts said Scherff would be a better player than Bulaga. Although an inch shorter than Bulaga, Scherff ran a faster 40 (5.04 to 5.23), performed better vertical (32½ inches to 27½) and broad jumps (8-11 to 8-2), and had far larger hands (11 inches to 9¼).

Probably the most apt comparison would be Zack Martin, the Dallas Cowboys' right guard who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie after being drafted No. 16 last year.

Martin (6-4, 309) was a four-year starter at left tackle for Notre Dame. He took his 32 7/8-inch arms inside and had a tremendous year.

"Scherff's similar to Zack Martin except he's stronger," one NFC executive said. "He's a hell of an athlete. This guy is a 325-pound moose."

UNSUNG HERO

Jon Feliciano, G, Miami: Last year, a Hurricanes lineman with athletic limitations, Brandon Linder, went to Jacksonville in the third round and started 15 games at RG. Feliciano (6-4, 325), another tough guy, is almost a carbon copy of Linder. He has guard-center versatility and a go-for-the-throat mentality that should make him a mid-round pick.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Greg Mancz, C-G, Toledo: Four-year starter at RT, RG and center with legitimate athletic ability, good toughness and high intelligence. However, he underwent another shoulder surgery after the season and won't be able to work out before the draft. If Mancz can stay on the field, he could be a swingman for a long time.

Athos

Legend
All I want in the 1st is non-D BPA.

Which is White/Cooper/Parker imo.

And Martin repped it 29 times on the bench BTW. And you saw his strength transfer to the field as well.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
All I want in the 1st is non-D BPA.

Which is White/Cooper/Parker imo.

And Martin repped it 29 times on the bench BTW. And you saw his strength transfer to the field as well.

I agree BPA, but there is more to the bench to determine strength and I don't doubt Scherff's strength. Again for the record I prefer Collins, but I'm good with BPA, but eventually they are going to have to address the OL...You know it, I know it and the American people know it.