Preaseason: Westbrooks #1 4-3 DE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
We may have found something special:
According to Pro Football Focus, Westbrooks is the highest ranked 4-3 defensive end of the preseason among players who have taken 50 percent of their team’s snaps. In Westbrooks’ 113 snaps, which have come against both no. 2 offensive lineman as well as no. 1′s, he has put up a +11.3 rating, an astronomical number. The next closest person is the New Orleans Saints’ Pro Bowl defensive end Cameron Jordan with a +7.0 rating. Westbrooks’ strong play basically has practically forced the team to make room for him.

Big Game

Living The Dream
And thats exactly why Michael Sam won't make the 53 and will be playing either on another team or the Rams practice squad. Westbrooks simply outplayed him this preseason.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
We may have found something special:
According to Pro Football Focus, Westbrooks is the highest ranked 4-3 defensive end of the preseason among players who have taken 50 percent of their team’s snaps. In Westbrooks’ 113 snaps, which have come against both no. 2 offensive lineman as well as no. 1′s, he has put up a +11.3 rating, an astronomical number. The next closest person is the New Orleans Saints’ Pro Bowl defensive end Cameron Jordan with a +7.0 rating. Westbrooks’ strong play basically has practically forced the team to make room for him.
To heck with PFF on the grades, but I will say that I've rarely seen a rookie play as good a DE as Westrbooks. He plays the Rams techniques well. When I first saw him at rookie OTAs and OTA he stood out in drills with smoothness and strength. He exploded the sled, when Michael Sam struggles to get it up (not a joke and not a slam on Sam) But for Westbrooks it was easy. And in agilities he was smooth. Sam was stiff, not all that athletic, again not a Jon Stewart double entendre). However, Sam hustled played hard, and has good first two steps.

Then, the preseason, I could see the techniques done so well, he'd stand up his guy, turn him and escape then make a play. So, to me, it's his strength that stands out. He's also played LDE, RDE, LDT, NT, 30 LDE, 30 RDE. Not sure if I ever saw him at RDT. That, too, is special. Playing all positions, even nose (the spot he was playing when he got hurt). That's Dan Hampton, Howie Long, Reddie White type of stuff. To me, it's impressive.

Sam, had plenty of good moments, but if he did anything else well, special teams, inside, if he had good pass rush moves. All Isee is a good arc rusher, to be fair, a very good arc rusher with a good getoff, good lower body and lots of hustle.

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie
It will be interesting to see what happens with Long after this season if Westbrooks plays like this in the regular season.