Practice squad might not have room for Sam/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice squad might not have room for Sam
• By Jim Thomas •

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7787b734-98ba-5aba-a657-4d98bac89ef8.html

Defensive end Michael Sam went unclaimed by Sunday’s waiver deadline and begins the week unemployed. Once he cleared waivers, Sam became eligible to sign with the practice squad of any NFL team. But there were only a few nibbles around the league — nothing concrete at this point — in what must have been a frustrating day for Sam.

It appears highly unlikely that the Rams will add Sam to their practice squad. They already have five defensive ends on their 53-man roster and have depth needs at too many other positions to cover injuries, and they need players for the scout team to run the plays of opposing teams in practice now that the regular season is here.

Practice squad players can practice but cannot play in games. They receive $6,300 a week during the 17 weeks of the regular season (which includes the bye week), which would be $107,000 over a full season. That’s about one-fourth of the rookie minimum wage for a player on the 53-man roster ($420,000). Even so, it’s a good spot for developmental players.

Sam, the former University of Missouri All-American, was released by the Rams on Saturday. He arrived at Rams Park for a planned interview with coach Jeff Fisher around 1 p.m. Sunday. Sam entered the building via the media workroom entrance and shook hands with a couple of reporters but declined to comment. He subsequently met with Fisher, general manager Les Snead and defensive line coach Mike Waufle, and the meeting went well.

As of Sunday night, the Post-Dispatch had confirmed the names of six players the Rams will sign for their 10-man practice squad. But they still had needs to address at quarterback, wide receiver, linebacker and cornerback — which would soak up the final four spots.

None of the 22 Rams released Saturday was claimed by other teams Sunday, so a few more of them could end up on the team’s practice squad. Potential signees include QB Garrett Gilbert, WR Emory Blake, CB Greg Reid and LB Lawrence Wilson.

Meanwhile, the Rams were not awarded any players off waivers from other teams, although they may have put in a claim or two.

PRACTICE SQUAD SIGNINGS

Although the team has not released the names of its practice squad signings, league sources confirmed that the Rams brought back these five players from their preseason roster: offensive guard Brandon Washington, offensive tackle Sean Hooey, wide receiver and kick returner Justin Veltung, defensive tackle Matt Conrath and safety Matt Daniels. In addition, they will sign linebacker Kevin Reddick, who had been with New Orleans.

Washington, 26, missed the team’s first two preseason games with a hamstring injury but returned to see action against Cleveland and Miami.

The 6-foot-2, 318-pound Washington was drafted in the sixth round in 2012 by the Eagles. Washington signed with the Rams after being waived by the Eagles and spent the 2012 campaign on the Rams’ practice squad.

Last year, he was inactive for the first seven weeks of the season, spent the next six weeks on the practice squad and was inactive for two more weeks before making his NFL debut in the regular-season finale at Seattle on Dec. 29.

Hooey, a 6-foot-9, 304-pounder from the University of Cincinnati, was signed as an undrafted free agent and spent the 2013 season on the practice squad. The 24-year-old spent the year reshaping his body and, despite some preseason pass-blocking troubles, has shown promise as a prospect at right tackle.

Veltung, who stands 5 feet 11 and weighs 182 pounds, originally signed with Seattle but joined the Rams last summer after being claimed on waivers. After spending the majority of the season on the practice squad, he was activated for the final three games as a replacement for injured punt returner Tavon Austin. Veltung, 23, returned seven punts for 61 yards, an average of 8.7 per return.

Veltung saw action in all four preseason games but missed some late-camp practice time with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

Conrath, 25, played in the first two preseason games but has been held out the past couple of weeks with a shoulder injury. The 6-7, 306-pound Conrath signed with the Rams as an undrafted rookie free agent just after the 2012 draft. He was inactive in all but one game that season, posting one tackle in the team’s tie with San Francisco that fall.

Last year, Conrath was active and saw action in eight games, finishing with 11 tackles, one sack and one pass defended.

The Rams are expected to announce their 10-man practice squad today.

RAM-BLINGS

Daryl Richardson, who began 2013 as the Rams’ starting running back, was signed to the New York Jets’ practice squad Sunday. On Saturday, the Jets waived Richardson, who ran for 475 yards and caught 24 passes for 163 yards as a rookie in 2012. Last year, Richardson was limited to just eight games with a painful toe injury. He made three starts and finished with 215 rushing yards to go along with 14 catches for 121 yards.

• After claiming fourth-year linebacker Thomas Keiser off waivers from San Diego, Arizona waived WR-KR Walter Powell, who starred at Hazelwood East High and Murray State. He was the Cards’ sixth-round draft choice in May.

• A pair of former Mizzou stars, RB Henry Josey and WR Marcus Lucas, were signed to practice squads. Josey, who was cut by Philadelphia on Saturday, hooked on with Jacksonville, while Lucas signed with Carolina. The Panthers waived Lucas on Saturday.

• Two ex-Illinois linebackers have been waived — Jonathan Brown by Arizona and Justin Staples by Cleveland.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
It will not have room. Doubt that a DE is in the PS picture but if so. I'll take Gerald rivers back every day of the week over Sam. He is more explosive and can potentially play all downs in the future instead of having one outside pass rush move at LDE on 3rd down only

Alan

Legend
images

Justin Veltung makes PS!!!!!
relief.jpg

Alan

Legend
I'm kind of surprised that they like Hooey better than Bond. Although I'm also surprised that they couldn't find anyone better than them on the waiver wire.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
That would explain why no one could find Conrath the last two games.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm kind of surprised that they like Hooey better than Bond. Although I'm also surprised that they couldn't find anyone better than them on the waiver wire.
I think that has more to do with depth and position. The Rams have plenty of interior depth. Hooey was solid at RT and a disaster at LT, although in his defense he was not practicing at LT before being throw in their during the game.
I would have kept Washington over Hooey as I thought he played well at LT.

fearsomefour

Legend
Just saw Washington was kept....not sure how I missed that.
An emergency/developmental LT and RT is not a bad thing to have.

Alan

Legend
fearsomefour with these thoughts:
I think that has more to do with depth and position. The Rams have plenty of interior depth. Hooey was solid at RT and a disaster at LT, although in his defense he was not practicing at LT before being throw in their during the game.
I hear you but while I'm not as huge an advocate for BPA as others, when you're talking about the PS I am. You can always grab a player at a certain position from another team's PS if necessary right?

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I hear you but while I'm not as huge an advocate for BPA as others, when you're talking about the PS I am. You can always grab a player at a certain position from another team's PS if necessary right?

If you take another teams PS player he needs to go on your 53

Alan

Legend
smram with this:
If you take another teams PS player he needs to go on your 53
True but riddle me this sm, isn't having depth at a position useless unless you develop a need for a player at that position? If you have a need then putting him on your 53 is what you'd do anyway. Matters not whose PS you grab him from. :LOL: ;)

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
Sam's not going to make it because of the twofold purpose of the practice squad. That squad is definitely for developing players, as well as having a reserve to draw from in event of injury. However, the practice squad is also to help the final 53 practice.

When you consider that Sam couldn't make it because of the DE talent, why would he be put on that squad when there's no DE shortage??? The is a shortage in other areas more important.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
True but riddle me this sm, isn't having depth at a position is useless unless you develop a need for a player at that position? If you have a need then putting him on your 53 is what you'd do anyway. Matters not whose PS you grab him from. :LOL: ;)
Never know when you'll need depth but generally yes. Within reason I think.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Right OG vs. Right OT ? Afternoon Alan:coffee:!

Rams have Joseph & Saffold who have been very good starters @ ORG. Even though I have not seen it this TC & pre season back up Barnes has played a lot of ORG last pre season. Person has shown he can line up anywhere & give you a decent effort he played ORT & ORG in college. Then there's also Barrett Jones who is listed as a OG/OC played & started 26 games @ ORG for Bama. looks to me that I listed five Ol'ers who could figure in @ ORG.

Then there is the ORT post????? Barksdale then Saffold who is starting @ OLG then maybe Person who we did not see play ORT in pre season looking a little short @ ORT IMO. Hooey has put on some muscle since the days when he was 260 to 270 in his senior season listed now @ 6-9 305 just maybe there is more to work with than with ORG Bond ...then there's ORT Barksdale UFA'cy coming in about 6 months too.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam catching me right before my nap:
Right OG vs. Right OT ? Afternoon Alan:coffee:!
Afternoon Bonifay!

My memory is getting so sucky. I thought I'd read that Bond was doing some work at T too. :(

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9139/bond-hoping-to-earn-way-to-rams-roster
"Making any determination on where Bond fits at this point in OTAs would be an exercise in futility. It's not worth judging anyone in OTAs without pads on, but especially the linemen. Where Bond can make his mark in the early going is by demonstrating the ability to quickly learn a new offense and, more important, some positional versatility.

While Bond cuts the figure of a natural at guard, he also has experience playing tackle. He played left tackle in high school, but worked at right guard and right tackle in college. Since arrival in the NFL, he has done a little of everything except center.

In St. Louis, much like many places, Bond's chances of making the roster as a backup could well come down to his ability to be effective at multiple positions. That isn't lost on him."

I'm pretty sure that Hooey is a lost cause at every position other than RT.

Last edited: